Lifan Cross and X-Cross

floridaguy

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Cross and Xcross are the same bike by different names so hw can they be sized differently ?

See posts #2 & 10.

Try and keep up Allan.

I did see that but then found some other information and dimensions on Google, as I illustrated above, albeit that I couldn't decipher it properly.

What you are telling me, which appears to be true, is that both bikes are current models, both offered at the same price and as you say they are identical bikes, apart from the product name, their colours and decals, the question is why?

I don't know of any other company who do this, in any product form and want to make sure before I try to order one. As I don't want to order, pay a deposit and find I have the wrong bike, since even the dealer I spoke to yesterday told me the Xcross has small wheels and a different G/Box.

Furthermore the dealer in Mahar Salakam told me he had an Xcross in stock, only to find it was an Xplore.

I will try to get a picture of the bike before I order one, I prefer the looks of the Xcross, but not if it turns out to be delivered as an Xplore.

The dealer in Kantanabury, offered me (my wife) 4 different models, 2 at 47k and 2 at 49k, no wonder everyone is confused.

Edited by AllanB

Guessing those offered at 47 will be X-Cross, or Cross if older new stock.

@ 49 will be the X-plore.

If I were doing it over I'd go X-plore for the gear shift pattern, quieter muffler, and better brakes.

Then buy a rack,

and 21" front wheel assembly, for getting down n dirty.

Stock wheels for motarding through the twisties.

Not everyone is confused.

Edited by papa al

Just ordered my Xcross from a dealer outside Khon Kaen city, but in the province, so will get the correct green book. Just 15 minutes up the road from me. They showed me a photo and it is the right bike, lets hope that is the one that gets delivered. smile.png

Now...according to their catalog the Xcross has an upgraded braking system over the Cross, so I think there is still plenty of confusion here.

No matter!

The 400km trip last weekend on my NV really made my mind up, I don't like main road travel, I ride way too slow to make it safe, having every man and his dog overtake, often at big differential kph.

This lightweight bike means I can pack it onto my 4 door Isuzu and get where I want to ride and then unload and go.

I realise it will be cramped for two, but will have to work on that, starting with the seat.

Guzzi suggested spare control cables, good idea and I will get some made up in the UK next year, with stainless rope and a PTFE lining, so no lube needed. They worked really well on the off-road karts and dune buggies we used to build, which got jet washed to buggery, especially by the hire companies. Likewise boat grease for all the bearings, will bring a small amount back from my boat.

Can't wait.........this is going to be a laugh and for not a lot of money.

The 400km trip last weekend on my NV really made my mind up, I don't like main road travel, I ride way too slow to make it safe, having every man and his dog overtake, often at big differential kph.

This lightweight bike means I can pack it onto my 4 door Isuzu and get where I want to ride and then unload and go.

I realise it will be cramped for two, but will have to work on that, starting with the seat.

Guzzi suggested spare control cables, good idea and I will get some made up in the UK next year, with stainless rope and a PTFE lining, so no lube needed. They worked really well on the off-road karts and dune buggies we used to build, which got jet washed to buggery, especially by the hire companies. Likewise boat grease for all the bearings, will bring a small amount back from my boat.

Good luck with your new bike . How are you planning to get it on and of the pickup. I know you want to buy a ramp but its not going to be easy , most likely you will need help from other people.

Me and the misses could get the crf on the truck,sometimes the trick is to find a little raised bit of ground have the bike on that and reverse the truck up to it.ramps are a little tricky especially if your truck sits high you need areslly long ramp

When I had my Aprillia 350 trials bike in the UK, I bought one of these and they are easy to make, the difficulty is getting a tow bar for my Isuzu, which I have never seen and towbars are not that easy to build. The good news it is a doddle to load and unload the bike, but not sure what the cops will make of it.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DAVE-COOPER-MOTORCYCLE-CARRIER-/272041161093?hash=item3f56eab185:g:mx8AAOSwo0JWQMqH

The easiest then is the ramp, a simple folding ramp with a locking hinge made from angle, but unless you have two, harder to walk the bike up.

Where I live isn't the problem, I have a raised patio area which is the same height as the bed, which I can reverse right up to. Then just ride up the steps, after a little practice, it is at the other end that may be a problem, so will need to find something similar there.

Or we often load the Wave on my truck with only two people, so should manage it with a little help, so may make just one ramp.

The other thing needed are anchor points on the bed itself, as mine are on the rim, perhaps too high.

Not sure about insurance, never heard of that, interesting.

PS. It is a bit dark to see at the moment, but it may not necessitate a tow bar. I may be able to weld a twin receiver mount onto my truck's rear cross member (or bolt), then slide the bike carrier straight on.

The bike carrier is then made in one piece to fit the bike, very easy and very solid.

Edited by AllanB

papa change color n brakes on Cross-dresser:

Bought new red front fender and tail piece. 700

Spray tank yellow. 500

Apply many small reflective sticker pieces; fingernail paint. 200

Crazy.

New double pot brake calipers front n rear,

new brake fluid res and master cylinder rear. 4000

Red brush guards. 700

Vented mesh seat cover. 250

attachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpg

Angry Bird.

Same same papa?? post-224886-0-17397100-1447254629_thumb.

They only fit in the back of a pick up with the back flap down you know....please don't let this get in the way of you buying one?

Yes but cops will fine you if you dont have a tail tidy (a cage that sits around the lowered tailgate)

And I mean cops in hwy patrol cars will pull you over, not just the usual mugging check points.

I bought a KLX 150 for similar reasons, drive the shitty stuff, unload, ride the fun stuff, reverse.

Though I need to up spec the bike.

BTW You can get water proof grease in Thailand.

They only fit in the back of a pick up with the back flap down you know....please don't let this get in the way of you buying one?

Yes but cops will fine you if you dont have a tail tidy (a cage that sits around the lowered tailgate)

And I mean cops in hwy patrol cars will pull you over, not just the usual mugging check points.

Don't understand "a tail tidy"? I heard you must cover any bike on the back of a pickup, not sure if that is true.

If I go the rear mounted carrier option, that fits onto the pickup with the tail up, also fits to a car.

Haven't seen any waterproof grease in Thailand, they must sell it at chandlers though, ordinary HP grease don't work on boats, or boat trailers, especially with sea water. So I guess check when you around the coast, I use nothing else in the UK, the only downside is if you get it on your clothes, your wife will divorce you.....it happened to me.biggrin.png ....can't think of any other reason?

FYI- any vehicle trailer/carrier needs to be registered, insured, and plated to be legal for road use in Thailand- it's a very difficult process to get something locally fabricated approved and stamped by TIS (meaning your local welding shop can't just throw something together). Though there are manufacturers who sell motorcycle-specific trailers that are legal for road use, I've never seen the type,of carrier you're referring to for sale here (though it would be worth checking out some other Thai-based sites or FB pages where dirt bike riders congregate as that's something they'd likely know about as its a type of carrier that's more suitable for lighter bikes).

FYI- any vehicle trailer/carrier needs to be registered, insured, and plated to be legal for road use in Thailand- it's a very difficult process to get something locally fabricated approved and stamped by TIS (meaning your local welding shop can't just throw something together). Though there are manufacturers who sell motorcycle-specific trailers that are legal for road use, I've never seen the type,of carrier you're referring to for sale here (though it would be worth checking out some other Thai-based sites or FB pages where dirt bike riders congregate as that's something they'd likely know about as its a type of carrier that's more suitable for lighter bikes).

I think there is some merit in what you say, you don't see any towbars here in Thailand except on big trucks and anything unusual will attract attention and possibly a fine. I don't want the aggro of trying to explain this device to the fuzz every time I go through a police checkpoint, average 10 times on every trip. So very good point Throttled, "best laid plans to mice and men" and all that stuff.....

A shame since these carriers are so easy to use, loaded by just one person and safer than carrying the bike on the back of a truck, but "when in Rome"......

I will wait until the bike is delivered and see how easy it is to man-handle, the bike weighs 120kg, compared to the Wave of 94kg and Thais are quite accommodating. I have two 1000kg cam buckle straps, will make 2 more, that will hold it.

papa change color n brakes on Cross-dresser:

Bought new red front fender and tail piece. 700

Spray tank yellow. 500

Apply many small reflective sticker pieces; fingernail paint. 200

Crazy.

New double pot brake calipers front n rear,

new brake fluid res and master cylinder rear. 4000

Red brush guards. 700

Vented mesh seat cover. 250

attachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpg

Angry Bird.

Same same papa?? attachicon.gifBang3w.jpg

Oh Papa I am so disappointed, I thought you were being original, but yours is just a ringer. Surely that is copyright infringement?

Suggested spares;

h/bar control cables x 1 ea.

cdi and reg/rectifier purchased from local tuk tuk shop that deals in the 200 upright motors. Dirt cheap.

Immediate maintenance;

oil change as soon as you get home. Again at 500 miles.

500 miles; remove s/arm and shock linkage(s) and grease properly.

1st time the wheels are out, change all 4 bearings for brand name sealed versions.

The rest is pretty much bullet proof.

Edited by thaiguzzi

Suggested spares;

h/bar control cables x 1 ea.

cdi and reg/rectifier purchased from local tuk tuk shop that deals in the 200 upright motors. Dirt cheap.

Immediate maintenance;

oil change as soon as you get home. Again at 500 miles.

500 miles; remove s/arm and shock linkage(s) and grease properly.

1st time the wheels are out, change all 4 bearings for brand name sealed versions.

The rest is pretty much bullet proof.

Thanks for that.... going to make my own control cables, stainless ropes and PTFE liners, when I get back to Blighty, so no lube needed, ever.

And when I change the bearings, will use waterproof grease.

Are the swing arm bearings up to it, we will be two up a lot, though not hammering the bike?

I think the swingarm runs a round steel bar , in a sleeve. No bearings. Maybe grease nipples can be fitted.

Yes they can,there was someone who modified his after it had dried out and fitted grease nipples.

I think he toured Laos etc,and in fact when I took my Cross-dresser to the Lifan dealer,he recommended to change the links as the wear out. Mine are ok,but if/when I change them,I'll add nipples or maybe sooner. About 500B to change them.

Indeed, as in the other Lifan thread, if you don't heed people's advice and experience, why waste people's time asking for it?

# Greasing wheel bearings on m/cycles went out with the arc. They have been sealed units on pretty much anything since the 70's. The last to still use this method were HD till 99 when they still used taper rollers and set end float on each wheel of 0.002 - 0.004". Post 2000 they went "modern".

# Using sealed wheel bearings, either 2RS (rubber shield) or ZZ (double metal shield), you do not need to regrease. Ever. Brand name sealed bearings, assembled correctly will outlive you, let alone the bike.

# The reason i mentioned the above to you earlier was that Lifan "probably" use the cheapest brgs available to put in a hub. Which means low quality, AND no seals.

# Pressure washing motorcycles is not recommended. It is for lazy people, or at the minimum, off road competition motorcycles with minimal electronics on board, and are serviced very regularly, ie new chains, sprkts, pads, and yes, perhaps wheel brgs. If you must use a pressure washer, stay away from electrics/electronics, air filter, chain, and wheel hubs. Might as well wash by hand...

# S/arm linkage(s) - dunno, but i will presume there are no brgs inside.

Indeed, as in the other Lifan thread, if you don't heed people's advice and experience, why waste people's time asking for it?

# Greasing wheel bearings on m/cycles went out with the arc. They have been sealed units on pretty much anything since the 70's. The last to still use this method were HD till 99 when they still used taper rollers and set end float on each wheel of 0.002 - 0.004". Post 2000 they went "modern".

# Using sealed wheel bearings, either 2RS (rubber shield) or ZZ (double metal shield), you do not need to regrease. Ever. Brand name sealed bearings, assembled correctly will outlive you, let alone the bike.

# The reason i mentioned the above to you earlier was that Lifan "probably" use the cheapest brgs available to put in a hub. Which means low quality, AND no seals.

# Pressure washing motorcycles is not recommended. It is for lazy people, or at the minimum, off road competition motorcycles with minimal electronics on board, and are serviced very regularly, ie new chains, sprkts, pads, and yes, perhaps wheel brgs. If you must use a pressure washer, stay away from electrics/electronics, air filter, chain, and wheel hubs. Might as well wash by hand...

# S/arm linkage(s) - dunno, but i will presume there are no brgs inside.

You are probably a nice guy Guzzi and certainly helpful, but you have a real chip on your shoulder.

Be cool man and like everyone else, offer your advice and let us decide for ourselves which we accept and which we choose to reject, don't ram it down our throats. I treat all advice as pointers, to me that is what these forums are about, some good, some bad, some downright silly....C'est la Vie.

Due to your experience with bikes you are right about many things, but I do know that technology changes and product quality differs from company to company, even within countries like China. For example we used to use pillow block bearings made in Japan for our off-road vehicles and they were fine, our suppler then decided to change to a Chinese block, so we tried them and they worked equally as well and never had a problem with any of them. The castings were a bit rougher, but other than that they worked fine but cost 35% less. It will be the same with bike parts.

So, without doubt I will change the front wheel bearings as this is a critical component in terms of safety, the rest I will monitor, as they are not.

Have a pleasant day.

Downloaded a manual and parts catalog, but thanks for all the tips lads, including the grease nipples, hopefully I can find them here, though it always seems to be a problem finding anything in KK. After I found this dealer in Nam Pong and ordered the bike, I found another dealer who could get me one in central KK, sods law.

The parts catalog shows open sided wheel bearings with separate oil seals, so a good candidate for marine grease packing, as with the tapered head bearings.

I won't expect too much from the dealer's PDI either and go over it myself, with loctite, this dealer sells these motorcycle pickups so should have some parts needed. and a friendly Honda dealer sells most bearings.

Did you dismantle the swingarm assy to install the nipple? and what is the bush made from?