Khao Yai national park's access road closes faster

webfact

Khao Yai national park’s access road closes faster

3-2-2558-13-13-31-wpcf_728x409.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Khao Yai national park will close access to the park at the south entrance from Prachinburi province three hours faster to alleviate confrontation between wild elephants and motorists.

The south entrance at Nern Horm checkpoint in Prachinburi normally closes at 9 pm.

But beginning February 5, the checkpoint will close at 6 pm.

The closing time is moved forward from 9 pm to 6 pm after patrols by forestry officials on the route still encountered some wild elephants walking and crossing the route.

They were seen coming out of the jungles to the road heading for drinking water at Hellnarok waterfall, and also used the road to walk to a place where forestry officials has made as salinized soil land, about 2-3 kilometres off the road, for wild elephants to eat.

Khao Yai national park chief Kanchit Srinoppawan said the park has already notified authorities of four provinces adjoining the national park areas, namely Saraburi, Nakhon Nayok, Prachinburi and Nakhon Ratchasima to inform tour companies and tourists about the time change.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/khao-yai-national-parks-access-road-closes-faster

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-02-03

• Like 1

This is bad news. Much of the most interesting wildlife comes out after sun down, but then I guess they can't stop you from going back to the beginning of the route or driving at a snail's pace.

It is bad news unless you are happier to have a one to one confrontation with a hungry tusker in the dark.Hope you have a strong car and a stronger set of bowels.

• Like 1

This is bad news. Much of the most interesting wildlife comes out after sun down, but then I guess they can't stop you from going back to the beginning of the route or driving at a snail's pace.

You can always stay in the park accommodation.

Last time I brought my own tent, which worked fine, except I woke up with a bunch of leeches attached to my legs the next morning. Problem is, the gates inside the park also come down at some point (before midnight) - at least some of them - so you can't just drive around freely just because you don't plan on exiting the park.

Edited by Nayet

It is bad news unless you are happier to have a one to one confrontation with a hungry tusker in the dark.Hope you have a strong car and a stronger set of bowels.

I actually prefer to ride a motorbike. Give the elephants enough space and you won't have any problems. On a motorbike, you even have the option of making a swift u-turn if things get dicey.

It seems sad Thai PBS doesn't know there's a difference between speed and time.

Yeah, and what on Earth is salinized soil???....and how would one go about salinating dirt?

I know it means they were after some salt, but they sure do have a convoluted way of expressing it.

Yeah, and what on Earth is salinized soil???....and how would one go about salinating dirt?

I know it means they were after some salt, but they sure do have a convoluted way of expressing it.

I think they can be forgiven for not using the term "salt lick", which, along with "mineral lick" is the commonly accepted term.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mineral_lick ('salinized soil')

edit to add: Please bear in mind that PBS cannot be expected to have the English language skills of up-market news sources such as Stickboy and Coconuts..... due to the fact that they probably have no farang employees or proof readers.

Edited by ratcatcher

Salinized Soil is a patch of earth where Park Rangers dump bags of salt. These patches act as salt licks for large animals. At Khao Yai, Park Rangers have built observation towers near those salt licks - a good way to observe animals when they come to get their fill of NaCl.