Thai National Parks ordered to charge foreigners tenfold

webfact

It is understandable.........farangs bigger bodies, farangs more <deleted> when visiting park toilets......have to charge more for cleaningrolleyes.gif

a s opposed to many Thai men who will do it just anywhere!

• Replies 927
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You think national parks are bad? A friend of mine just stayed at a public hospital for a broken leg that needed surgery and subsequent two week stay. She paid nearly 200,000 Baht. The Thai lady in the other room only had to pay 30 Baht per day!

Can you imagine that in the West? Imagine a foreigner would walk into a UK hospital. Surely he would be covered under NHS and get the same cheap or free treatment as resident right? DREAM ON!

Public facilities are paid for largely by taxpayers. In any country.

So I will now repeat what I wrote about this subject a little while ago;

You need to make the difference between companies that have a two tier pricing structure and government funded places that charge more to foreigners than to locals.

If a shop asks more money from a foreigner, then that is plain dumb, and you can just walk away from it and find another shop that doesn't do this.

But if you want to visit a national park or zoo (or even hospital), and they charge then it is not so easy to go to a different park or zoo.

One needs to understand that these parks, zoos and such are not self sufficient entities that rely solely on admission income; The Dept of National Parks has approximately 6,000 officials, another 6,000 full time staff and some 20,000 temporary day workers in its employ. **The department consumes an annual state budget of a stable Bt8.2billion. That is taxpayer money** So Thai people already pay for visiting parks, regardless if they visit or not. At the same time, if a foreigner is employed in Thailand and pays his taxes, then he also helps pay for the parks. As such I completely understand why one would charge a foreigner more, providing the tax paying foreigner is exempted. And that is exactly my experience in nearly all national parks that I visited. When I show my drivinglicense and sometimes tax id card, I get charged the lower Thai price.

There is a difference between expats who live here & foreign tourists who are visiting for a few weeks. Expats should get a discount if they show a Thai licence.

I have traveled Thailand. Some National parks i would have no problem paying 400 baht. But some parks have nothing to look at & no facilities, which i paid 200 baht to park my car, walk around for 5 minutes to look at nothing & then leave thinking that was a waste of 200 baht. Making it 400 baht for all parks would mean the minor parks will get no foreigners visiting. They will be told at the gate 400 baht, then do a U turn & drive away. Looks like i'll have to be more selective when going to parks.

Sorry, but my logic is the one shared by the tourist authorities in countries which have dual pricing whereas yours is just based on a poor understanding of the given lexis.

And that logic then is also discriminatory and just another way to cover up racism as the Thais often do in writing Thai prices in the little used Thai numerals. They know it is wrong but do it anyway.

A discount is a deduction from the usual cost of something. If the usual cost of entering a park is 400 baht and the majority Thai visitors receive a 90% discount then take away the foreigners and they should go bankrupt. Which they wouldn't because the 40 baht is the usual cost.

And note the topic heading. "Thai National Parks ordered to charge foreigners tenfold" not "Thai National Parks ordered to give Thais 90% discount".

You are making ridiculous assumptions about this situation. You presume that because Thais pay 40 baht that this is what is takes to run the park, in reality there is not limit to how much could be spent and every baht helps. The National Parks are funded by the government, they will not go "bankrupt" they are national parks not businesses.

You go by a newspaper headline if you want, I am going by official statements by the tourist authority, everywhere dual pricing happens they give the same reasoning, it is not to penalize foreigners but to provide incentive to locals.

An honest mistake to hide dual pricing using Thai numeral?

There is a difference between expats who live here & foreign tourists who are visiting for a few weeks. Expats should get a discount if they show a Thai licence.

I have traveled Thailand. Some National parks i would have no problem paying 400 baht. But some parks have nothing to look at & no facilities, which i paid 200 baht to park my car, walk around for 5 minutes to look at nothing & then leave thinking that was a waste of 200 baht. Making it 400 baht for all parks would mean the minor parks will get no foreigners visiting. They will be told at the gate 400 baht, then do a U turn & drive away. Looks like i'll have to be more selective when going to parks.

Sorry but not true. I've tried many times to show my driving licence but never could convince the people to have a decent price. If you are farang, then you're a farang....

Sorry, but my logic is the one shared by the tourist authorities in countries which have dual pricing whereas yours is just based on a poor understanding of the given lexis.

And that logic then is also discriminatory and just another way to cover up racism as the Thais often do in writing Thai prices in the little used Thai numerals. They know it is wrong but do it anyway.

A discount is a deduction from the usual cost of something. If the usual cost of entering a park is 400 baht and the majority Thai visitors receive a 90% discount then take away the foreigners and they should go bankrupt. Which they wouldn't because the 40 baht is the usual cost.

And note the topic heading. "Thai National Parks ordered to charge foreigners tenfold" not "Thai National Parks ordered to give Thais 90% discount".

You are making ridiculous assumptions about this situation. You presume that because Thais pay 40 baht that this is what is takes to run the park, in reality there is not limit to how much could be spent and every baht helps. The National Parks are funded by the government, they will not go "bankrupt" they are national parks not businesses.

You go by a newspaper headline if you want, I am going by official statements by the tourist authority, everywhere dual pricing happens they give the same reasoning, it is not to penalize foreigners but to provide incentive to locals.

Do you think it would make things easier for the staff to advertise the fact?

I'll take my visa, my work permit and my Bankbooks along to Erawan National Park next time.

At the park gates I'll ensure that my four women's beach-volleyball-spec litter bearers pay the usual fee for native Thais.

I shall then, from behind the Mutmee curtain of my teak sedan offer my papers and my ID along with the foreign entrance fee and ask them where I can find some fresh ice and some of those big new imported cheap limes.

Dash of Bitters to finish.

I'll likely get the same rate as my Thai servants.

If not ? Well, I just don't care enough about 180THB to complain.

Sorry but not true. I've tried many times to show my driving licence but never could convince the people to have a decent price. If you are farang, then you're a farang....

I've never had a problem, if my driving license is not enough I use my work permit and that has worked everywhere so far.

As usual, this move in price increases will affect me just as much as the posters who are all over like a rash - which is not at all. So why bother carry on about it ?

Similar to the martial law/curfews etc. although it does not directly affect people they cannot help crapping on about it.

They can increase the price one thousand times for all I care. thumbsup.gif

I know....charge by kilo.

Years and years ago they were discussing this very topic. A Thai uni teacher or govt person was asked what he would do if he was in a country....like say the USA and was asked to pay a five fold increased addmission to Yousmite.....His reply..."I would be proud"

This two tierd pricing his here to stay. Stupid is as stupid does

looks like it will be easy for me to maintain my unblemished record. not ever even 1 of these places for me. have considered khao yai but not actually ever done it. a bit too tree hugging fraternity for my liking. oh and someone told me he'd seen a tiger or tigers foot prints there. me i am afraid of tigers and dont have the required fascination to venture. (even more so now that i am a rabid old goat) .

i forgot to mention those pesky car attacking elephants

also forgot to mention i was once and only once dragged along to the waterfall on samui. wasnt any water. ok perhaps a trickle. my memory is failing me. didnt cost anything if i recall correctly. just call me rabid senile old goat.

Edited by rabid old goat

Easier to be honest and let buyers beware. Is this not why law has been raised to make businesses display their prices?

Were you here when menus did not display prices?

I have always adhere to the maxim that the Land of Pseudosmiles is good only for 2 things; SS (Sun and S_x ), certainly not for PBC (parks , brain, culture), P being overpriced and overrated, B and C nonexistent.Guys stick to what the Almighty created the Pseudoland for.

You think national parks are bad? A friend of mine just stayed at a public hospital for a broken leg that needed surgery and subsequent two week stay. She paid nearly 200,000 Baht. The Thai lady in the other room only had to pay 30 Baht per day!

Can you imagine that in the West? Imagine a foreigner would walk into a UK hospital. Surely he would be covered under NHS and get the same cheap or free treatment as resident right? DREAM ON!

You need to make the difference between companies that have a two tier pricing structure and government funded places that charge more to foreigners than to locals.

If a shop asks more money from a foreigner, then that is plain dumb, and you can just walk away from it and find another shop that doesn't do this.

But if you want to visit a national park or zoo (or even hospital), and they charge then it is not so easy to go to a different park or zoo.

One needs to understand that these parks, zoos and such are not self sufficient entities that rely solely on admission income; The Dept of National Parks has approximately 6,000 officials, another 6,000 full time staff and some 20,000 temporary day workers in its employ. **The department consumes an annual state budget of a stable Bt8.2billion. That is taxpayer money** So Thai people already pay for visiting parks, regardless if they visit or not. At the same time, if a foreigner is employed in Thailand and pays his taxes, then he also helps pay for the parks. As such I completely understand why one would charge a foreigner more, providing the tax paying foreigner is exempted. And that is exactly my experience in nearly all national parks that I visited. When I show my drivinglicense and sometimes tax id card, I get charged the lower Thai price.

You are absolutely right.

"Additionally, Suwan predicted the increase would not affect the number of tourists who visit the park as fewer than 100 foreigners visited the park last year."

The reason only a 100 foreigners went to this park is because they are not too keen on pay 5X the Thai rate

Now that it is ten the number will probably drop even more

You can count me out on visiting a national park ever again ... all double pricing rules me out

On the one hand, I can understand the concept of Thais getting a lower price. It is their country, and they pay taxes into the government to help with the departments that manage these locations. Fair enough. I visit these locations occasionally, so paying a little more was fine. And the prices are still relatively small compared to places like Disney.

What I don't understand is... 100 visitors will increase the overall revenue how much?! I mean, even if you push the price up an additional 2,000 baht, it is a mere 200,000 baht per year! Is this really going to make a difference in their overall budget? There must be better avenues for generating more revenue. For instance, officially branded souvenirs will sell to foreigners and Thais. Given that there must be orders of magnitude more Thai visitors, this would seem to me to be a more realistic approach to generating more revenue.

Easier to be honest and let buyers beware. Is this not why law has been raised to make businesses display their prices?

No, the law enforcing businesses to display prices and government financed attractions having dual pricing are separate issues and I fail to see why you have linked them.

You say "easier to be honest and let buyers beware", beware of what? They are being displayed the price for entry so how does making them aware that had they of been a Thai citizen it would have cost less help them in any way? Buyer beware of not being eligible for a lower price? Makes no sense, the buyer is aware of the price.

I would have thought that displaying the price for Thai's more prominently would just increase arguments and thus problems for those selling the tickets.

I've never had a problem, if my driving license is not enough I use my work permit and that has worked everywhere so far.

http://www.thephuketnews.com/tax-paying-foreigners-not-entitled-to-local-price-at-national-parks-50333.php

Best you tell the promotion officer at the nat parks..

The increase there and at other parks was made in response to an announcement from the National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation Department that admission fees for foreigners should be made consistent throughout the country as of Sunday.. should read as.. admission fees for people should be made consistent throughout the country. Seriously is there any other country in the world where foreigners are required to pay more to visit an attraction than residents ??

It is done in the US, only it is a local discount although not everywhere. Disneyland gives a discount if you have a driver's licence with an Orange County address, attractions in Guam are more expensive for tourists.

The increase there and at other parks was made in response to an announcement from the National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation Department that admission fees for foreigners should be made consistent throughout the country as of Sunday.. should read as.. admission fees for people should be made consistent throughout the country. Seriously is there any other country in the world where foreigners are required to pay more to visit an attraction than residents ??

It is done in the US, only it is a local discount although not everywhere. Disneyland gives a discount if you have a driver's licence with an Orange County address, attractions in Guam are more expensive for tourists.

But thats not whats being done is it ??

If a black, white or asian person has a local resident card, they get the local resident price..

Here its purely a 'whitey' tax.. You can live here 20 years, have a local address, speak the language.. And its still 'whitey price'..

Its purely based on race.. Even to the point of local south east asians commonly being given the Thai price. Its racist discriminatory pricing. Call it what it is.

Edited by LivinLOS

No, the law enforcing businesses to display prices and government financed attractions having dual pricing are separate issues and I fail to see why you have linked them.

You say "easier to be honest and let buyers beware", beware of what? They are being displayed the price for entry so how does making them aware that had they of been a Thai citizen it would have cost less help them in any way? Buyer beware of not being eligible for a lower price? Makes no sense, the buyer is aware of the price.

I would have thought that displaying the price for Thai's more prominently would just increase arguments and thus problems for those selling the tickets.

Not difficult to write in English - Entry fees. Foreigners - Bt400, Thais - Bt40

Pricing policy of the Kingdom of Thailand.

A clear statement to all foreign visitors. No arguments.

I wonder if the Grand Palace is considered a National park? If it is, at it's current admission price of 400 THB for falangs, a 4,000 THB entrance price would surely drastically lower the number of foreign visitors to the attraction. Also, since Thai citizens are allowed in free it would effectively cut the income down to ZERO.

Having seen it three times I doubt I'll be back at any price until the closed to the public areas are opened for viewing.

Seen it once 10 years,nothing special. Just love for foreign punters to stop going. Let them find other extortion ways to get money!

I could not agree more...

Great! Now as a member of an unwanted,except for money, foreign,or racial, group, am required to pay 10 times the rate of my family, that i am 100% supporting. This idea besides being xenophobic and raciest, is just sad. I cannot invite visitors here and force them to pay a race tax, and while i love the out of doors and the National Park system, i will not go under these conditions.

I do hope this is an early April fools prank

Not difficult to write in English - Entry fees. Foreigners - Bt400, Thais - Bt40

If that is all it takes then why all the comments on this thread?

http://www.thephuketnews.com/tax-paying-foreigners-not-entitled-to-local-price-at-national-parks-50333.php

Best you tell the promotion officer at the nat parks..

Why would it be best to tell the promotion officer that I have never been charged the higher rate? After reading the article you posted it seems that won't be necessary as they are already aware of the 'lucky' experience of the likes of me.

If that is all it takes then why all the comments on this thread?

Because they are presently hiding the part Thais - Bt40 in Thai alphabet and numerals.

Don't even tourists pay VAT, and that includes things like hotel rooms & restaurants which locals don't necessarily patronize to nearly the same extent? Don't we pay fees & taxes & surcharges at the airport as well? Are tourists not the ones being extorted for cash by the police? ...by the scam artists? Are we not subject to purely racist two-tier pricing within the country as well (THAT being the price on which the VAT is based??). Are taxi drivers not now demanding an increase in their "entitlement to transport tourists to & from the airport, including a nice little extra earner for carrying their baggage ('don't imagine the average local thai going to & from & around town on a daily basis actually has much of that)? Of course tourists pay taxes! All kinds. Moreover, the vast majority are already paying taxes on whatever income they're bringing into Thailand back in their own countries! This logic that Thais are somehow entitled to tax & retax & re-retax us again & again on what we're bringing in and contributing to THEIR economy is just plain hairbrained!

And it isn't playing well, and will play less & less well. The greed factor really has consumed thai thinking. They won't much like where this is leading them. More importantly perhaps, neither will foreign investors, who do have alternatives, even eager, competitive alternatives.

Moreover, how much of these thai budgets could really stand up to some close budgetary scrutiny in the first place? How much of these add-on collections from tourists are actually just paying for increasing levels of nepotism, incompetence, and plain old corruption? I know I know - a few hereabouts are already screaming "that happens everywhere" - Thailand is charging out ahead of the pack, and coming on fast.

Last and least, if you have a thai driving license as well as a thai tax id, you're hardly the average tourist, now are you?... Unless you're quite a heavy hitter, I'll bet you're not actually paying that much tax on your thai income, and not a lot of the extra taxes tourists have to contend with mentioned above. You yourself state that by presenting your thai D/L and tax id you evade the higher prices/fees charged tourists.