Singapore Airlines launches premium economy class

webfact

SIA offers premium economy class tickets, bookings start Tuesday
BY KARAMJIT KAUR

SINGAPORE - Singapore Airlines (SIA) customers flying to Sydney on selected flights will be the first to experience the carrier's new premium economy class from August 9, with bookings starting from Tuesday.

As the name suggests, the new product will offer more legroom, wider seats, more meal choices and better amenities compared with economy class.

Fares will differ depending on the day and time of travel but travellers can expect to pay about 15 - 20 per cent more for premium economy.

Each seat which comes with a calf-rest and foot-bar has a width ranging between 18.5 and 19.5 inches with an eight-inch recline for more ease and comfort, SIA said on Tuesday.

There is also a 13.3-inch full high definition in-flight entertainment monitor with noise-cancelling headphones, individual in-seat power supply, two USB ports, and additional stowage space for personal items such as a water bottle, mobile phone and laptop.

Premium economy customers can choose from a more extensive range of food and beverage offerings with champagne offered, in addition to a selection of wines, throughout the flight.

To ensure a seamless experience that begins on the ground, priority check-in and baggage handling will be offered to customers, SIA said.

Full story: http://www.straitstimes.com/news/singapore/transport/story/sia-offers-premium-economy-class-tickets-bookings-start-tuesday-20150

-- THE STRAITS TIMES 2015-02-04

Why is this supposed to be new?

I flew in 2006 from Singapore to Newark in a premium economy seat with the same calf supporters, extra legroom and wider seat. Is it because they are only now deciding to make it available to Aussies?

Certainly now becomes a viable option for travel as well, particularly when they add the US and Europe routes. As a previous Gold Card FF, I have always enjoyed flying SQ, so it will be an alternative from EY, a few days stop over in S'pore would be a nice way to finish any Europe / US trips.

I've no objection as long as it doesn't come at the expense of ordinary economy. That's what usually happens.

China Airlines has just introduced that layout model and in economy, they've squeezed in an extra row of seats in their new 777-300 and reduced the seat pitch to 32 inches. Story here: http://www.nycaviation.com/2014/10/china-airlines-takes-delivery-first-boeing-777-300er/?feedsort=more

If SIA is planning the same thing, they'll do themselves more harm than good.

Also, 'Premium economy' is usually centred in the middle of the aircraft where the wings are. That means your view out the window is restricted and there's no point in having a window seat at all if all you can see is the wing.

I've no objection as long as it doesn't come at the expense of ordinary economy. That's what usually happens.

China Airlines has just introduced that layout model and in economy, they've squeezed in an extra row of seats in their new 777-300 and reduced the seat pitch to 32 inches. Story here: http://www.nycaviation.com/2014/10/china-airlines-takes-delivery-first-boeing-777-300er/?feedsort=more

If SIA is planning the same thing, they'll do themselves more harm than good.

Also, 'Premium economy' is usually centred in the middle of the aircraft where the wings are. That means your view out the window is restricted and there's no point in having a window seat at all if all you can see is the wing.

I don't mind seeing the wing at all. Very reassuring to know it's still there. I've always enjoyed flying with SIA.

• Like 1

Why is this supposed to be new?

I flew in 2006 from Singapore to Newark in a premium economy seat with the same calf supporters, extra legroom and wider seat. Is it because they are only now deciding to make it available to Aussies?

Your flight was in the Executive Economy Cabim when SIA operated the A340-500 "Leadership" for exclusive ultra-long haul flying for the Los Angeles to Singapore and Newark to Singapore flights only.

So this Premium Economy is effectively new for SIA as this product will be deployed on long-haul flying on Boeing 777 and Airbus 380 progressively as from late-2015.

Additionally, the wider seat is available on A380 destinations only such as Los Angeles, Seoul, Sydney, Tokyo, Munich, etc... The 777 aircraft will have the narrower 18.5" width seat.

So fly the A380 when booking with SQ!!

Sia was good some ten years ago. After that, well same bad service at higher prices. Now they try new tricks. late flights out of Singapore serve only a snack but no full meal anymore. Excuse is the people want to sleep. They give a f.. about people connecting on long flights.

So after having been treated this way I accepted their reasoning and put in a special meal request. On the plane I got again a sandwich I could not eat. Asking for my special meal the attendant told me that the request was submitted too late. I thanked the person and asked for the purser. The man came and I told him in no uncertain terms that I hate to be lied to by his staff. He made strange face and when I told him that my request had been submitted 3 months ago and whether SIA needs 6 months advance now - that was it. All he would do was to bring me a bottle of water. I filed my complained and just informed him that they lost 2-3 round trips a year to THY. THY flies the same route with by now better service.

Should I add that SIA never responded to my complaint (Star Alliance gold card member) other than a automated email?

SIA economy is by far no longer the best. The Premium might be an attempt to cover for their cuts while demanding more money. Ok. See what the other airlines do for you.

We are the customers and it is our money they want. They are not doing us a favor as some airline staff seem to believe.

• Like 2

This SIA premium economy is about the same as Scoot's business class, but Scoot's product is much cheaper.

So they will be competing with their own subsidiary, at least among point-to-point passengers.

With fare prices dropping all the time, it's more of a cut-throat business than ever. Airlines need to offer something just to keep the customers they already have. There are about 30 airlines worldwide now that offer a premium economy class and Singapore Airlines is obviously feeling the pinch now as well as they are going down that route.

It's not Business class, not even close, comfort wise IMO it's neither here nor there but there again at 15%-20% premium you can't expect alot more. You get the added advantage of increased checked baggage which can make it financially worthwhile depending on routing and airline excess baggage rates. It's a real shame though that even at the inflated price, someone still has to put up with the dreaded middle seat sad.png .

BTW Lufthansa are also currently implementing a premium economy class.

rolleyes.gif Singapore Airlines profits were up in the last qurter of 2014.

However, this increse was due to Tiger Airways and their alllience with Singapore air.

If you take away the gain of the passenger revenue due to their budjet airline (Tiger) then in the last quarter of 2014 Singapore actually lost passengers/revenue in that last quarter.

So this "premium class economy", which is actually a better "premium economy" deal than many other airlines offer, is Singapore's attempt to regain passengers and revenue in 2015.

In addition, Singapore attemped to "lock-in" fuel prices by a long term fuel leverage deal BEFORE fuel prices dropped in 2014.

That means that their gamble failed, and Singapore is now locked into a deal to pay higher fuel prices than they would now have to pay otherwise.

But still, Singapore is one of the bettter airlines, with a high customer satisfaction rating.

They will survive, ...... just a lttle "clear air turbalance" for the airline in their business outlook.

Edited by IMA_FARANG

rolleyes.gif Singapore Airlines profits were up in the last qurter of 2014.

However, this increse was due to Tiger Airways and their alllience with Singapore air.

If you take away the gain of the passenger revenue due to their budjet airline (Tiger) then in the last quarter of 2014 Singapore actually lost passengers/revenue in that last quarter.

So this "premium class economy", which is actually a better "premium economy" deal than many other airlines offer, is Singapore's attempt to regain passengers and revenue in 2015.

In addition, Singapore attemped to "lock-in" fuel prices by a long term fuel leverage deal BEFORE fuel prices dropped in 2014.

That means that their gamble failed, and Singapore is now locked into a deal to pay higher fuel prices than they would now have to pay otherwise.

But still, Singapore is one of the bettter airlines, with a high customer satisfaction rating.

They will survive, ...... just a lttle "clear air turbalance" for the airline in their business outlook.

I like SIA and prefer to fly economy with them as opposed to other airlines.

But looking at the picure of the premium economy seats at http://www.singaporeair.com/LMD-EDM/edm/pey-launch-feb15/kf_static_3.html I foresee some air rage situations taking place when the passenger in front reclines their seat!