Bangkok to Hua Hin.. the best way?

Slavomir

Greetings to all!

I will land in BKK in the evening will stay in Bangkok over night and next day would like to go to Hua Hin.

What would you recommend as a means of transport ? Bus or Taxi or Train ?

Just for 1 person, speaking very minimal thai :)

What I've heard, taxi would cost around 2500 which is not that cheap.

Also (considering my destination and travel plans) where in Bangkok would be a good place to stay?

(e.g. if you recomend bus/coach station , close to the specific station etc..)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

you can catch the subway (mrt) to either of two trains stations for the relaxing 3rd class train to hua hin

i recommend the first one 09.20am to get you there in time to look for a hotel. http://www.railway.co.th/checktime/checktime.asp?lenguage=EN&StationFirst=Bangkok&StationLast=Hua%20Hin click the links to check details

Edited by rabid old goat
  • Like 1

you can catch the subway (mrt) to either of two trains stations for the relaxing 3rd class train to hua hin

i recommend the first one 09.20am to get you there in time to look for a hotel. http://www.railway.co.th/checktime/checktime.asp?lenguage=EN&StationFirst=Bangkok&StationLast=Hua%20Hin click the links to check details

Thank you for the info.. any idea of the ticket price?

can the ticket be bought online (is it better/cheaper)?

Thank you for the info.. any idea of the ticket price?

can the ticket be bought online (is it better/cheaper)?

click the links to check details. its not going to break you....no, buy the ticket at the station before you get on. only third class available for the 09.20am train.

that train ride is the best part of going there after that it goes down hill

Edited by rabid old goat
  • Like 1

oh, yeah, sorry, rabid old goat .. didn't click through the second "check" button, somehow managed to miss it! :)

202 bht seems very good!

I'm I correct in assuming this is leaving from Main station ? (Hualamphong) .. as it didn't say explicitly on your link which station it is.

And if I haven't been there before, how much before the departure you recomend I get there ? will 40 minutes be enough to buy ticket and find the platform and get on the train?

Do ticket office people speak english?

No offence intended, have you ever been to Thailand?

Why would you want to got to Hua Hin?

Also (considering my destination and travel plans) where in Bangkok would be a good place to stay?

Probably some scuzzy guesthouse on KSR.

Have you ever been to Bkk?

I've been to Thailand 4 times (Phuket + some usual trips), to Bangkok once, but that was different type of visit (and budget)..

Never been on a train in Thailand or stayed in anything other than 4-5 star hotel.

I'm going to Hua Hin to investigate some good places / areas to live.

I've been to Thailand 4 times (Phuket + some usual trips), to Bangkok once, but that was different type of visit (and budget)..

Never been on a train in Thailand or stayed in anything other than 4-5 star hotel.

Never been on a train in Thailand

Well worth it, its an experience.

To live permanently, or as a visitor?

IMHO, HH is well overrated and overpriced, much better options to be further south.

You'll probably have a load of luggage with you, the taxi is the easiest way to do it with plenty of luggage.

From what I've heard most of the trains take about 5 hours from Hua Hin to Bangkok, you can do it in a taxi in 3 hours or less.

The trains are old and slow, even the little first class 'rooms' they have are not so good. It's like sitting on a padded bench in a large cupboard for hours on end.

Depending on what time you arrive, you could get the airport express bus to Hua Hin. Not too expensive and takes about 3 hours.

Why anybody would want to live in Hua Hin is beyond my understanding.

I live in Hua Hin and I find it quite agreeable.

• Like 1

You don't sound much like an adventurer so I'd suggest the train at any price over having a solo driver attempting to outrace

everyone else on the road. Try the Thai food offered on the train, not 7-11 which I think would be your natural inclination.

If you are thinking of any adventures with the ladies be prepared for getting ripped off a few times as you sound very

vulnerable. Are you sure you want to be in Siam? Have you read up at least a bit on this country? Whatever you do, don't go

to Ko-Tao. Happy trails!

The direct bus from BKK airport to Hua Hin gets good reports (you could overnight inexpensively near BKK if necessary). A taxi would be a lot more expensive for a solo traveller and also less safe. Of course the minibuses win the contest for danger hands down. Last year I pitched up at Bang Sue about 12 noon and asked about trains to Hua Hin. I was sold tickets on a train that started at Bang Sue. The price was 44 baht. It took forever but was a nice ride.

You don't sound much like an adventurer so I'd suggest the train at any price over having a solo driver attempting to outrace

everyone else on the road. Try the Thai food offered on the train, not 7-11 which I think would be your natural inclination.

If you are thinking of any adventures with the ladies be prepared for getting ripped off a few times as you sound very

vulnerable. Are you sure you want to be in Siam? Have you read up at least a bit on this country? Whatever you do, don't go

to Ko-Tao. Happy trails!

You on the other hand sound like a person making judgements based on very little evidence :) But I won't bait and indulge you further, as this would derail this thread even more..

Depending on what time you arrive, you could get the airport express bus to Hua Hin. Not too expensive and takes about 3 hours.

how long you live there?

I think I still like the idea of traveling by train the best, as it will give me opportunity to see quite a bit of country side and meet some authentic Thai people.

Plus is very cheap, although maybe not as comfortable as taxis, but I've traveled with taxis many times in Thailand so this will be a new experience..

As to whether Hua Hin, or not, I've already had discussion on this forum about possible destinations,

got a lot of tips based on my specific requirement and from the repeated recommendations I picked 3 places to explore , HH being one of them.

Everybody has a different taste, experience and requirements so no single place will be favoured by everybody here..

I would like to repeat some of the questions I'd be interested to get some answers to :)

And if I haven't been there before, how much before the departure you recomend I get there ? will 40 minutes be enough to buy ticket and find the platform and get on the train?

Plus, somebody mentioned there's a food on the train? is there like a restaurant car you can go to and buy a meal?

how long you live there?

Nearly three years

The quickest way would be by motorcycle taxi takes about 90 mins cost approx 500 baht

• Like 1

there is a cafeteria with the usual array of thai food at hualampong station, plan on having breakfast there then you can flex your time accordingly. get the ticket first and remember to ask the platform number when you buy it. it is not hard to find the correct platform just walk up the front of all the stops and look on the notice board for each. .

Edited by rabid old goat
  • Like 1

I think I still like the idea of traveling by train the best, as it will give me opportunity to see quite a bit of country side and meet some authentic Thai people.

Plus is very cheap, although maybe not as comfortable as taxis, but I've traveled with taxis many times in Thailand so this will be a new experience..

As to whether Hua Hin, or not, I've already had discussion on this forum about possible destinations,

got a lot of tips based on my specific requirement and from the repeated recommendations I picked 3 places to explore , HH being one of them.

Everybody has a different taste, experience and requirements so no single place will be favoured by everybody here..

I would like to repeat some of the questions I'd be interested to get some answers to smile.png

Plus, somebody mentioned there's a food on the train? is there like a restaurant car you can go to and buy a meal?

40 mins will be plenty. Your main problem will be estimating journey time to Hualamphong due to road traffic jams. Not a problem if you use the MRT. Ticket office staff will almost certainly speak sufficient English. Never seen a restaurant car on the train but freelance food and beverage sellers wander up and down the train. Oh, and ignore touts at Hualamphong.

Edited by QEDDEQ

Thank you very much QEDDEQ, I wish everybody here would just answer like yourself, clearly , shortly and actually to the point! :)

I haven't booked the place to stay for the night yet, so will make sure to pick something close to the train station itself or a closeby MRT station.

Bus is a NO NO for me, they drive like lunatics.

Taxi is good if you have a lot of lugage and don't mind paying the price.

http://www.agoda.com/nl-nl/ambassador-hotel-bangkok/hotel/bangkok-th.html?asq=XqlQ7bJ0pUN0G2iz%2fnzAiFdmUMRKAueuQPbbs7RpFnpfmvJJal16QxGXNuhyTC6HAfYu8rpQ9dCHmG9ek%2frP%2bdLC2BRPRmqp6IbS5zIKGxJu0BmPc%2bp3l9c%2bp1S%2fomqzqAe%2bVtvZlaWiTNhkuGeXdAhoig42U%2f%2fb%2bzhfQg74I6dmF7nLBwEULrD2%2brfgpxXYaXR4U%2fokvVoXtgqNzWwthA%3d%3d&tyra=1|3&searchrequestid=a6bc17fb-a0b3-451f-8368-2dced2f7c370&pingnumber=1

Train can be a nice ride but not in third class if you like a bit of comfort.

Cheap hostel about 200 meters from train station,no need for a dorm they have twin rooms too.

http://www.agoda.com/nl-nl/hua-lamphong-hostel/hotel/bangkok-th.html?asq=XqlQ7bJ0pUN0G2iz%2fnzAiFdmUMRKAueuQPbbs7RpFnpfmvJJal16QxGXNuhyTC6HAfYu8rpQ9dCHmG9ek%2frP%2bdLC2BRPRmqp6IbS5zIKGxJu0BmPc%2bp3l9c%2bp1S%2fomqzqAe%2bVtvZlaWiTNhkuGeXdAhoig42U%2f%2fb%2bzhfQg74I6dmF7nL

At night can be a bit noisy as it is on a busy road but for 1 night it is ok.

Edited by FritsSikkink
  • Like 1

FritsSikkink

I will only have a medium size rucksack, so luggage is not an issue :) and thank you for the accommodation tips..

I wouldn't mind paying travelling by first class in train, (still much cheaper then taxi) but I've been told that 9:20 train is only 3rd class.

Can't see the available classes there only names and types of trains :

Ordinary 09.20 - 13.35
Rapid 13.00 - 17.14
Special Express 14.45 - 18.42
Is 2nd and 1st class available on Rapid or special express?

FritsSikkink

I will only have a medium size rucksack, so luggage is not an issue smile.png and thank you for the accommodation tips..

I wouldn't mind paying travelling by first class in train, (still much cheaper then taxi) but I've been told that 9:20 train is only 3rd class.

Can't see the available classes there only names and types of trains :

Ordinary 09.20 - 13.35
Rapid 13.00 - 17.14
Special Express 14.45 - 18.42
Is 2nd and 1st class available on Rapid or special express?

Here a bit of train info:

http://www.tourismhuahin.com/trains-huahin.php

• Like 1