Plastic addiction in Phuket

Bogan Koori

While I don't profess to be an environmentalist, the site of plastic everywhere in Phuket does annoy me.

This morning I went to my local family mart and bought a packet of cigarettes and a lighter. I was given a plastic bag and the cashier put 2 straws in the bag with my cigarettes and lighter. In the west straws are considered taboo. Here they are used to decorate the roads and beaches.

• Like 1

One of the girls who is working on a local 7/11 always asks if I need a plastic bag as I'm always carrying my backpack anyway.

When I need one for the trash bin, she always gives me a bit disappointed look, which actually makes me happy. The youth are better educated both here as well as elsewhere and do care more about the environment than the older people.

I just say - mai me plastic, krap (no plastic thanks - before I get bashed for non English content).

The 7-11 staff are beginning to come round to this idea as they now seem to quickly accept the idea of no bag.

That means "don't have plastic, thanks".

Try 'mai ow toong, krup'. Closer to what you want to say.

Edited by KarenBravo

I just say - mai me plastic, krap (no plastic thanks - before I get bashed for non English content).

The 7-11 staff are beginning to come round to this idea as they now seem to quickly accept the idea of no bag.

You're saying 'no have plastic', why not 'mai auw toeng plastic , krap' .no plastic bag please. But I'm sure they get the meaning anyway.

At my local 7/11 here close to the shop they know, I have to ask if I want one, even if buying more than I can carry.

Oops, KB was just a bit faster.

Edited by stevenl

The lady at Sacs bakery outside Villa in Chalong said 80% of Falangs refuse the bag offered but ALL Thais want one. This was in explanation to me complementing her on not giving me a bag.

I must be turning Thai, then. I'll pop into Sacs and demand extra plastic bags to make up for the greenies.

The more plastics bags I'm given, the better I like it.

tongue.png