Supporters, Protesters Of Thaksin Clash At Central World

george

Heng, how can you say the two sides are "about even"? If I say "Heng, I don't like you and your feet stink!" and you beat me unconscious, are we about even? You obviously didn't take my course in non-violent protest in Austin, Texas. :o

PB, from the limited news coverage that I have seen, it looks and sounds like both sides are picking fights. And it's certainly not as black and white as your example. If you were non-violently sitting on my property protesting whatever... and then I had folks non-violently being to remove you by carrying you off... and then you started resisting physically and getting LOUD... who's at fault?

I admit that I haven't yet to see any of these protests in person. If they decide to do one of this indoors, somewhere air conditioned, I might get to see one.

:D

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To date virtually all assaults that we have chosen to post and discuss on TV have been by pro on anti protestors. I dont think that is romanticisizing.

Myself I call that biased and romanticizing.

I'll pass on joining the photobucket party, and again, it's just my opinion.

For the record, IMO it's all the same no matter who's in power, so I don't know what all the hoop-la is about.

:o

edit: the underlined portion is by me

that's what I'm saying. I've looked at all sites covering the issue that I can find and find NO photos at all showing physical aggression by the anti-Thaksin group. If that is "chosing" what to post, I disagree. I've posted EVERY photo of anti-Thaksin groups physical attacks that I've found. If you know of others, we'd like to see them or just a link? or just some visual cues gleaned from the television. OK, we've "sort of" established the woman stepping on the PM's foot. The others are???

Well as long as the media covers it and the raw images get up to Thaksin country, I would say the PAD is winning despite being on the receiving end. The only thing they would need to know is who is who. However sound bites and image edits can change all of that. Think Rodney King here.

From a legal point of view Thaksin is failing to protect the people. As it looks like we will see this more and more I am sure it could be used to show the courts that he is not performing the duties required of his office to protect the people.

Think of the south and you can easily compare the PAD to the people on the receiving end, and Thaksin’s thugs to the insurgents. You can look at that two ways, one as a stepping stone to martial law, or two Thaksin and his men are acting like the insurgents.

Edited by John K

Heng, how can you say the two sides are "about even"? If I say "Heng, I don't like you and your feet stink!" and you beat me unconscious, are we about even? You obviously didn't take my course in non-violent protest in Austin, Texas. :o

PB, from the limited news coverage that I have seen, it looks and sounds like both sides are picking fights. And it's certainly not as black and white as your example. If you were non-violently sitting on my property protesting whatever... and then I had folks non-violently being to remove you by carrying you off... and then you started resisting physically and getting LOUD... who's at fault?

I admit that I haven't yet to see any of these protests in person. If they decide to do one of this indoors, somewhere air conditioned, I might get to see one.

:D

Actually PB's scenario seems the closer in accuracy, unless I'm mistaken when I presume that Siam Paragon, Rajabhat University, and Central World Plaza are not all Thaksin's personal property. The other disparity is the initial actions of the security, police, men in black, Pro-Thaksins... or whoever they are, are not being "non-violent by carrying them off."

To date virtually all assaults that we have chosen to post and discuss on TV have been by pro on anti protestors. I dont think that is romanticisizing.

Myself I call that biased and romanticizing.

I'll pass on joining the photobucket party, and again, it's just my opinion.

For the record, IMO it's all the same no matter who's in power, so I don't know what all the hoop-la is about.

edit: the underlined portion is by me

Please enlighten me of the assaults by the anti on the pro people. I am amazed that you seem to know of some but the government controled state TV and radio media has not manged to air them or even mention them.

To date we have heard of: Central World, Rajabhat, Siam Paragorn, The Nation Offices, The Manager Offices, Chiang Mai involving Chuan Leekpai getting hit with a chair, The Lumpini Park forrestry worker assault, and that is without getting into soem unsavory incidents which seem to occur whenever the PAD try to hold a rally up country. The woman who stepped on Mr. Thaksins toe we now find out is one of his supporters, so to date your only example is gone.

I dont doubt that at any time the PAD could have organized quite a violent mob if they wanted. However, the PAD went to extremes to avoid violence on their 100,000 plus rallies even when facing provocation.

Unfortunately the message being sent out by the bodyguards and supporters actions and the comments coming from government ministers is that if people protest against Mr. Thaksin it is OK to beat them up, and that is true of old people and kids too.

I hope I am wrong and a strong example is made of these cowardly and easily identifiable thugs who beat the old man. However, if Chuan Leekpai's assailant is still free, I have my doubts.

Edited by hammered

I was searching for Thaksin future events and nothing is listed past today. It seems he it taking every opportunity to pump up his image on the official Thailand government Prime Minister website. He even has a photo of John Karr. Amazing what credentials will get you associated with Thaksin and on the Prime Minsters website no less :o . I guess I should check later to see if George Bush has John Karr on the Presidential website. :D

Edited by John K

Law society accuses police of letting Thaksin's supporters attack protesters

The president of the Law Society of Thailand Tuesday accused police of letting supporters of caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra attack the protesters without trying to stop them.

Dej-udom Krairit, the president of the Law Society of Thailand, said video footages clearly showed that police had done nothing to stop the supporters from attacking the protesters at the Central World Plaza on Monday.

Dej-udom said the law society would represent the protesters to file a lawsuit against police for allegedly conspiracy with the supporters by allowing them to beat up the protesters.

Dej-udom said police also arrested and charged protesters while failing to take legal action against the attackers and this showed that police had failed to carry out their duty fairly.

The Nation

Mr. Abhisit: Govt must be clear with the prosecution of the culprits regarding the confrontation of the groups

Democrat Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva (อภิสิทธิ์ เวชชาชีวะ) stated that the government must be clear about the prosecution of the culprits regarding the confrontation of Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra’s supporters and protesters since it would reduce violence. He believes Prime Minister Thaksin is planning to solve the ongoing chaos.

Mr. Abhisit said the officials must show clear signals on what they would do with the wrongdoers. He referred to his party’s major address in Chiang Mai (เชียงใหม่) Province where the situation was taped but no progress over the case has been made. He has also urged all sides who would like to express their opinions to follow the Constitution, which is to demonstrate without the use of weapons.

As for the statement claimed by the government that certain political parties are behind the movement of such confrontation, the Democrat leader said such allegation would create confusion in the society as any of the movements could be investigated.

He disclosed that he does not understand why politics are involved with such situation. He said all sides should work together to cease the problems, especially the premier should consider what should be done to prevent any possible violence.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 22 August 2006

220806_front.jpg

Uniformed and plainclothes police drag a man towards Pathumwan police station for questioning after he was injured yesterday in a clash with supporters of caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra at the Central World shopping complex. - BP

The man on the right is one of the most prominent, infamous Men In Black. He was shown by ASTV-1 as being all over the place acting very suspicious... :D

I hope the old man is still alive this afternoon...

Edited by sriracha john

'Thailand Unforgettable' is new tourism slogan for 2007

The Thai tourism industry is to be marketed under a new tagline, "Unforgettable Thailand," as part of the new strategies for 2006/07 finalised at the Tourism Authority of Thailand's annual marketing meeting here last week.

The new advertising and PR campaign will be launched soon and "focus on delivering an unforgettable experience to visitors," said TAT Governor Mrs Juthamas Siriwan.

- Travel Daily News

*edit*: oops, sorry.. wrong thread... kinda ironic though, huh?

Edited by sriracha john

Mr. Abhisit: Govt must be clear with the prosecution of the culprits regarding the confrontation of the groups

Democrat Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva (อภิสิทธิ์ เวชชาชีวะ) stated that the government must be clear about the prosecution of the culprits regarding the confrontation of Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra’s supporters and protesters since it would reduce violence. He believes Prime Minister Thaksin is planning to solve the ongoing chaos.

Good move on the democrats part. It sets up a fail to act scenario for future legal action if needed. The people expect their leader to act.

SET discloses the confrontation of PM Thaksin supporters and opponents has affected the confidence of minor investors

Stock Exchange of Thailand (SET) Vice President Vichet Tantivanich (วิเชฐ ตันติวานิช) admitted that the confrontation between the supporters and protesters of Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra has affected the confidence of minor investors but not foreign investors.

Mr. Vichet disclosed the overall atmosphere of the stock market for both Thai and foreign investors. He said the buying and selling of stocks are normal. However, certain minor investors are less confident in trading in the SET. This is due to the political ambiguity, the designation of election date, the search for the new Election Commissioners and the confrontation between anti-Thaksin group and his supporters over the last few days. He believes the stock market will be upbeat once all the situations are clear.

The SET Vice President spoke about the overall picture of the economy, adding that it will continue where the profit of listed companies during the first half of this year is higher than the same period of last year. He stated that foreign investors believe that the internal issues are short term factors that would affect the investors’ confidence.

The Ministry of Interior will set up an issue analysis center

The Interior Minister, Air Chief Marshal Kongsak Wanthana, has come up with an idea to establish a news analysis center following the physical confrontation between anti-Thaksin and pro-Thaksin groups at the Central World Department Store yesterday.

Following yesterday’s violence, ACM Kongsak has requested all sides to take heed of His Majesty the King’s speech, while urging them to be in harmony and to perform in line with the Constitutional laws. Meanwhile, the People’s Alliance for Democracy has announced to go ahead its anti-Thaksin move by conducting a huge demonstration.

ACM Kongsak, however, has expressed his confidence that the situation would not escalate to become tough crisis as the ministry has plotted a plan to set up an issue analysis center, hoping to help alleviate the turmoil effectively.

I think the rough translation for “news analysis center” is media control and censorship. The correct approach has been standing there all along watching trying not to show their badges or faces. I can see this is another move for Thaksin to try and distance himself from his own handy work and control the media.

Mr. Thaksin tells supporters that he will fight to the end, but declines to shed light on the political situation

Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra affirmed to his supporters that he will keep fighting and will not step back, yet declined to shed light on the political situation.

Prime Minister Thaksin arrived at the Thai Rak Thai Party headquarters at 3:35 PM today to attend a party meeting, and was greeted by a small crowd of about 20 citizens upon his arrival. The crowd was reported to have been supportive of Pol. Lt. Col. Thaksin and called on him to continue his work and refrain from taking a leave of absence, to which Mr. Thaksin replied that he will not fall back but will keep on fighting.

Prime Minister Thaksin however declined to give a commentary to shed light on the political situation, especially on the recent clash between pro-Thaksin and anti-Thaksin groups in the past several days. The Prime Minister excused himself from press interviews, stating that the media was impartial and that he was tired. He stated that he had already addressed the incident concerning problems with the Information and Communication Technology Ministry’s smart card scheme on his radio talk show.

The Ministry of Interior will set up an issue analysis center

The Interior Minister, Air Chief Marshal Kongsak Wanthana, has come up with an idea to establish a news analysis center following the physical confrontation between anti-Thaksin and pro-Thaksin groups at the Central World Department Store yesterday.

I think the rough translation for “news analysis center” is media control and censorship. The correct approach has been standing there all along watching trying not to show their badges or faces. I can see this is another move for Thaksin to try and distance himself from his own handy work and control the media.

I believe the TNNBPRD might have ambushed you, John. The first time reading this through, I had the same impression as you... that it was something to do with a “news analysis center” whereby perhaps they analyzed news footage to see who was doing what and deciding who was at fault or made a mistake... something akin to the referee doing a video review of a controversial play in American Football. ... As lame as that sounded, I read it again and think now they are talking about having a “NEW” issue center... whereby they sit around drinking coffee and discuss the issues of the day and make it sound like something dramatically different and innovative.

There IS a tremendous difference between the words, "news" and "new", but as they interchange them frequently in their reports, I think the subtlety is lost by TNNBPRD.

The trick to reading their reports is that typically around the 3rd or 4th time through, you'll sorta, kinda, get the gist of their often-confusing meanings and garbled grammar. I’ve actually grown quite attached to reading them all as they often provide an extremely humorous article.

Keep 'em coming, Jai Dee

Mr. Thaksin tells supporters that he will fight to the end, but declines to shed light on the political situation

Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra affirmed to his supporters that he will keep fighting and will not step back, yet declined to shed light on the political situation.

He did say he prefers the "stick and jab" style during the early rounds followed by going for the big "haymaker" knockout punch during the late rounds. Reportedly he's been doing a lot of workouts with the heavy bag, the speed bag, and skipping rope. He has changed trainers and states that his 1-2 left, right combination have vastly improved over earlier bouts in his career. He hopes to contend for the WBO middleweight belt by the end of the year if he can get a preliminary tune-up fight with Oscar Hernandez from Mexico........ and so forth.... and so on...

Prime Minister Thaksin arrived at the Thai Rak Thai Party headquarters at 3:35 PM today to attend a party meeting, and was greeted by a small crowd of about 20 citizens upon his arrival. The crowd was reported to have been supportive of Pol. Lt. Col. Thaksin and called on him to continue his work and refrain from taking a leave of absence, to which Mr. Thaksin replied that he will not fall back but will keep on fighting.

He elaborated to them that with his new trainer, he's been getting a lot more road work in, also, and that has increased his stamina to fight more consistently during the middle rounds. His stated that his spirit is heightened by his successful defeat last month over Pedro Gomez from Puerto Rico. The improved stamina from all his running during training allowed him to have the ability to knock out the lanky Latin in the 6th round...and so forth... and so on...

Prime Minister Thaksin however declined to give a commentary to shed light on the political situation, especially on the recent clash between pro-Thaksin and anti-Thaksin groups in the past several days. The Prime Minister excused himself from press interviews, stating that the media was impartial and that he was tired.

To combat this tiredness, he has taken to consuming a protein-powder shake drink endorsed by Evander Holyfield and that this also has aided in his improved stamina to go the distance during all his bouts.... and so forth.... and so on....

thanks TNNBPRD... love your terminology.... :o

John K..... see?

Edited by sriracha john

Thaksin orders legal action against "wrongdoers" in Central World event

Government Spokesman Surapong Suebwonglee said Tuesday that caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra had ordered Justice Minister Chidchai Vanasatidya to take legal action against wrongdoers related to the Central World Plaza event.

Surapong said Thaksin wanted those who committed wrongdoing to be brought to justice no matter which side they belonged to.

The spokesman said Thaksin told the Cabinet meeting that he did not want to see clashes between his supporters and protesters so he tried to avoid them by using goods elevator at the back of the shopping mall.

The spokesman said Thaksin also wanted the media to avoid playing up reports, which could further fuel more rifts in the society.

The Nation

259bb0m.jpg

Photo shows all young men who involved in attacks on Thaksin’s opponents at Central World Shopping Complex on Monday wore brand new white sport shoes and white wristband. These confirmed earlier suspicions that the attacks was an organised efforts.

The nation

One-legged man not my man: Sita

A Thai Rak Thai politician has dismissed allegations a one-legged man seen attacking anti-Thaksin Shinawatra demonstrators at Central World Plaza on Monday is associated with the party.

Sita Divari, who is also a spokesman for the party, said the man was not a party canvasser as alleged by the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD).

The antigovernment group claimed a one-legged man assaulted members of an anti-Thaksin group demonstrating outside the shopping plaza. It claimed the man was a campaigner for a Khlong Toei politician.

The mysterious man is said to go by the name of "Pae Khlong Toei".

Sita denied the individual was his aide and said he did not recognise the person from pictures.

The Nation

I don't think that beating protesters will elicit any compassion from Thaksin's supporters, and I wouldn't count on maternal instincts either. Look at Heng, his reaction is not uncommon. Violence is usually not a big deal, it's a jungle out there, you can't rely on laws, or police, or anyone but a few bestest people in the country.

I miss PAD rallies - they were the ones with the largest degree of the common sense here. Shit like that wouldn't pass them.

Perhaps this is the first pic of an injured hired thug. Probobally struck accidently by one of his accomplices. Click for larger pic.

s5_copy40.b35.th.jpg

And here's a better pic of those wrist bands if u click on it.

30011691-01.th.jpg

Edited by womble

259bb0m.jpg

Photo shows all young men who involved in attacks on Thaksin’s opponents at Central World Shopping Complex on Monday wore brand new white sport shoes and white wristband. These confirmed earlier suspicions that the attacks was an organised efforts.

The nation

A new name for players on the squad: Team Thaksin

SJ I see your point and I too did consider the possibility, but anything coming from the TRT side is automatically adjusted to assume “fix it for the boss” as has been the standard. On another foot note and a little less dramatic, this time last year he was busy solving problems for 63 million people more or less, now he seems to have difficult with how many at the mall? Perhaps his astrologer has told him that a black hole has moved in on his stars. I would imagine there is a stack of pills next to his bed about now. I wonder if he needs a therapist to show him the way? :o

Prime Minister Thaksin however declined to give a commentary to shed light on the political situation, especially on the recent clash between pro-Thaksin and anti-Thaksin groups in the past several days. The Prime Minister excused himself from press interviews, stating that the media was impartial and that he was tired. He stated that he had already addressed the incident concerning problems with the Information and Communication Technology Ministry’s smart card scheme on his radio talk show.

Thaksin orders legal action against "wrongdoers" in Central World event

Government Spokesman Surapong Suebwonglee said Tuesday that caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra had ordered Justice Minister Chidchai Vanasatidya to take legal action against wrongdoers related to the Central World Plaza event.

Surapong said Thaksin wanted those who committed wrongdoing to be brought to justice no matter which side they belonged to.

The spokesman said Thaksin told the Cabinet meeting that he did not want to see clashes between his supporters and protesters so he tried to avoid them by using goods elevator at the back of the shopping mall.

The spokesman said Thaksin also wanted the media to avoid playing up reports, which could further fuel more rifts in the society.

The Nation

Still, according to the above texts, he has not and will not publicly ask his supporters to tone down. GUILTY!

259bb0m.jpg

The nation

Not exactly experts in the art of camouflage are they? IQ and shoe size must match.

SJ I see your point and I too did consider the possibility, but anything coming from the TRT side is automatically adjusted to assume “fix it for the boss” as has been the standard. On another foot note and a little less dramatic, this time last year he was busy solving problems for 63 million people more or less, now he seems to have difficult with how many at the mall? Perhaps his astrologer has told him that a black hole has moved in on his stars. I would imagine there is a stack of pills next to his bed about now. I wonder if he needs a therapist to show him the way? :D

He actually has consulted an american doctor who told him about an american restaurant where some of his patients get to smash dishes after a meal, sort of an anger management therapy. On his recent visit up North, hotel staff and security have rushed to his room when the sound of breaking glass was reported. :D He's losing it, day by day.

Both thugs who the authorities say they are not policement have reported to a police station this evening, Tv cameras were present. A policeman was reading them something. Smells like another improvisation on their part. Improvisations that never get far as they always get busted in a matter of days with following news reports giving evidence it was all a cover up. :o

It's quite amazing that a hundred policemen on the scene have no idea who IS a policeman, especially the one with a badge hanging around his neck who seemd to be giving them orders afterwards

Edited by Tony Clifton

They got your men, Tony.....

Police charge mystery duo for assault

Two mystery men who punched and kicked protesters at Central World Shopping Complex turned themselves in to Pathumwan Police on Tuesday.

Police charged them of assaulting others whose punishment is not more than Bt2,000 and/or a fine of not more than Bt2,000.

apparent glitch in the Nation's editing left unchanged....

They however denied the charges.

Deputy Metropolitan Police Commissioner, Pol Maj Gen Kamon Kaewsuwan identified the duo as Charan Kong-orn, 43, a rubber worker of Surat Thani and Chaisit Lohmar, 42, a taxi motorcyclist.

Speaking at a press conference after they surrendered to Pathumwan police, Kamon said that after checking into their background, they had no criminal record.

The yesterday's surrender came about as the police tried hard to distance themselves from the two men who were being sought after by the country's media and antigovernment groups.

Pol Colonel Manit Wongsomboon, deputy commander of the Metropolitan Police Division 6, maintained that the two men were not police officers.

The two men, one dressed in black and another one in peach coloured shirt, were caught on camera and photographers as punching and kicking the handful of anti-Thaksin protestors as uniformed police office looked on.

The Nation

-------------------------------

If this secret police guy is a "rubber worker" from Surat Thani....

post-9005-1156260010.jpg

Then I'm the President of Thammasat University... from Poughkeepsie, New York

Edited by sriracha john