Canadian found hanged in Phuket home. Suicide, police say

Lite Beer

Canadian found hanged in Phuket home. Suicide, police say

Darawan Naknakhon

1423134379_1-org.jpg

Part of the rope remains in the bathroom after the Canadian was cut down.

PHUKET: A Canadian man was found dead this afternoon (February 5) in his Rawai home. Police have ruled the death a suicide.

Chalong police, called to the home, found 29-year-old Jon-Eric Barwise hanging in the bathroom with a nylon rope around his neck.

After Kusoldharm rescuers cut him down, police examined the body but found no injuries other than bruises around his neck. The body was, however, taken to Vachira hospital for further examination.

His Thai girlfriend told police, “I was asleep in the bedroom and woke up to find [he] had hanged himself in the bathroom.”

After seeing the body and asking her more questions, police said that they had come to the conclusion thet the dead man had been “stressed out over a personal issue” and that this had caused him to take his own life.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/canadian-found-hanged-in-phuket-home-suicide-police-say-50895.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-02-05

No reason or personal issue is sufficient to justify the loss of your young life.

... from your perspective. I wouldn't be so hasty with such sentiments. Might seem bewildering, but one would need to walk a mile in their shoes.

I have been living here in thailand for over 3 years, and been followed news from thailand almost every day. I must admit and have never heard so many foreigner take there own lives in other countries like here in Thailand. For me it seems like people travel to Thailand. Having the good life, and then kill them self. But again, it cut be because it's news every time a foreigner kill them selves, like when the news has spots on airplane crashes.

RIP

• Like 1

No reason or personal issue is sufficient to justify the loss of your young life.

... from your perspective. I wouldn't be so hasty with such sentiments. Might seem bewildering, but one would need to walk a mile in their shoes.

I have been living here in thailand for over 3 years, and been followed news from thailand almost every day. I must admit and have never heard so many foreigner take there own lives in other countries like here in Thailand. For me it seems like people travel to Thailand. Having the good life, and then kill them self. But again, it cut be because it's news every time a foreigner kill them selves, like when the news has spots on airplane crashes.

RIP

Many people who move to Thailand are hopeless people who couldn't make it in their home country, and think Thailand is the promised land.

I've never seen such a high percentage of losers in any expat community anywhere in the world.

I don't say the person mentioned in the OP belongs to that category, as I don't know him, it is just an observation I made in Thailand and explains the high number of suicides in my opinion.

Can't argue with that.

Thailand has shattered many a dream for people who have thrown everything into a life here only for it to fall apart.

• Like 1

How come no one ever uses sleeping pills in Thailand? Seems easier way to go, and no mess.

Good question. If I would commit suicide for which I don't have plans this week, that would be my way to depart. Maybe because I don't like pain, I don't know.

It is sad that such a young man is dead.

And I guess it is interesting to some to discuss the possible ways you could commit suicide.

But, the point some of you seem to be missing is that very many foreigners are found dead in Thailand and if it is remotely believable...and sometimes unbelievable, the police deem it as a suicide.

I believe many are not suicides and this is a way to avoid the work of an actual investigation and tourist deterring publicity.

These are not Thai people and the Thai police don't care.

In fact, for reasons stated above, they want it forgotten as soon as possible.

This is what should be discussed here,

not the poor young man who died or the method he chose to die.

There is a good chance that it was not his choice to die!!!!

• Like 2

It is very surprising at such a young age. But such things happen. How come they always seem to happen in Thailand?

I remember a friend of mine doing his dissertation on suicide among teenagers, apparently the most common cause of death in that age bracket.

How come no one ever uses sleeping pills in Thailand? Seems easier way to go, and no mess.

Quote from suicide info site says this;

A common drug used in attempted suicides is sleeping tablets of various forms. Decades ago, when barbiturates were prescribed for sleep issues, it was possible to overdose on them. Modern sleeping tablets are not, by themselves, lethal, and taking a large dose as a suicide attempt is more likely to result in a long sleep and a trip to the hospital emergency department than death.

RIP ! too young to die !!

i don't believe thi story and his girl friend !! never trust a "so penny" !

same question as always, why travelling to Thailand to commit suicide ????????????

You need to know his life story before you can start speculating about this. Many young people are depressed and suicidal , Thailand is a popular place and sometimes also drugs and alcohol can lead to desperate actions .

It happens all over the world, since Thailand is one of the most popular tourist destinations in the world you will read about suicides here quite often. But how many Thai suicides is happening every year? We never hear about them , only foreigners are interesting to the media.

I would love to see the number of suicides of expats. Compare Thailand with the rest of Asean!

I get it. It's not just suicides..

There are many reasons for the incredible amount of foreign suicide jumpers in Thailand- those that fall by accident, or are pushed to their death. It's generally accepted that jumping is frequently down to expatriates running out of money, with alcohol (and drugs to a lesser extent ) and women being the primary contributing catalysts in suicides.

Bar girls frequently run off with a foreigner's money. Foreigners can't own land in Thailand, but they can own 49% of a condo development. The standard way for foreigners to have a house or land in Thailand is to put the title in their Thai wife's name. Once taken to the cleaners financially, the expat often cannot bear the thought of returning home broke, in shame.

With the foreigner losing their money and face, notoriously low railings on balconies lead to foreigner fatality after fatality. Most jumps are suicides, and not accidents. However, there are some ( noir-type ) sinister disputes - and foreigners are pushed off balconies - and down to oblivion. Foreigners with drug habits, alcohol issues, mental health issues and borderline personality disorders are highly at- risk, especially once their money is gone.

I wrote a book about it, called " A Place to be Killed"

Anonymously, at least hopefullysad.png

RIP

Many people who move to Thailand are hopeless people who couldn't make it in their home country, and think Thailand is the promised land.

I've never seen such a high percentage of losers in any expat community anywhere in the world.

I don't say the person mentioned in the OP belongs to that category, as I don't know him, it is just an observation I made in Thailand and explains the high number of suicides in my opinion.

I wonder if part of the problem is that drugs, booze & sex are very readily available. Also, remember a few weeks ago, I think it was another canadian, tried to top himself because he saw his ex

(hooker) girlfriend with another guy!! What's that all about, <deleted>!!??

RIP

I'm sure that's what other expats are thinking when they meet you.