Many Thai nurses suffer from stress

webfact

Many nurses suffer from stress
CHULARAT SAENGPASSA
THE NATION

30253512-01_big.jpg?1423173073516
Krisada Sawaengdee

SURVEY FINDS 10% NEED TO RESORT TO SLEEPING PILLS, MANY FACE WORK-RELATED ACCIDENTS

BANGKOK: -- NEARLY HALF of Thai nurses suffer from high levels of work-related stress because of shifts that last more than 12 hours a day, a nationwide survey has found.

The survey also indicated that 48.3 per cent of nurses suffer from joint or muscular problems.

Conducted between 2012 and 2014 as part of the Thai Nurse Cohort Study (TNCs) project, the survey covered 18,765 nurses across the country.

"Of the respondents, 45.5 per cent said they had high levels of stress," TNCs chief Krisada Sawaengdee told a press conference yesterday.

Stress was found to be contributing to restless nights for a third of the respondents, while 8-10 per cent of them said they had to resort to sleeping pills.

"This in turn affects the delivery of their service to patients, and is also linked to work-related accidents and injuries," Krisada said.

The survey found that many young nurses got injured by syringe needles or knives, which raised their risk of contracting serious diseases from patients. In some cases, they need to take anti-retroviral drugs or tuberculosis pills as a result.

The proportion of those planning to quit their jobs is higher among the nurses who have suffered serious accidents at work.

Apart from physical risks and injuries, the survey found that a significant number of nurses were affected mentally. As many as 38.3 per cent of the respondents said they were struggling with anxiety and depression issues.

The TNCs found that under such work conditions, nurses' quality of life stood at just 0.75 out of possible 1 point - as opposed to 0.95 point among women in other professions such as teachers. This was derived from a comparable World Health Organisation index.

When divided by age, the younger group was found by the survey to have an even lower quality of life.

Of the nurses surveyed, 40 per cent were between 25 and 45 years old, some 45 per cent were over 45, while the rest were younger than 25.

Krisada said the TNCs would like to propose that nurses be kept informed of possible health threats at their workplaces, that work conditions for them be improved and that constant evaluation of the improvement be implemented.

"Better conditions may come in the form of an adequate workforce and proper protective gear," she said.

Associate Professor Jintana Yunibhand, president of the Nurses Association of Thailand, said her agency would do what it could to ensure the implementation of these proposals.

"We will also listen to the opinions of nurses across the country via a national seminar that will be held in November," she said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Many-nurses-suffer-from-stress-30253512.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-02-06

having recently spent a few weeks hanging around a hospital for long periods of time due to my Mother's illness, sadly I can't say I was surprised how wildly variable the nursing staff was. Some were pretty attentive and responsive. Some I wouldn't trust to feed my goldfish regularly. Hospitals, much like many businesses no doubt try to staff up as cheaply as possible. Nurses I think universally are always complaining about stress and their Doctor interface. Many doctors don't listen to the nurses or many nurses don't think the doctor is paying enough listening. So there are typical boss and subordinate issues. In Thailand with the social hierarchy, it is probably a bit worse for Nurses.

• Like 2

having recently spent a few weeks hanging around a hospital for long periods of time due to my Mother's illness, sadly I can't say I was surprised how wildly variable the nursing staff was. Some were pretty attentive and responsive. Some I wouldn't trust to feed my goldfish regularly. Hospitals, much like many businesses no doubt try to staff up as cheaply as possible. Nurses I think universally are always complaining about stress and their Doctor interface. Many doctors don't listen to the nurses or many nurses don't think the doctor is paying enough listening. So there are typical boss and subordinate issues. In Thailand with the social hierarchy, it is probably a bit worse for Nurses.

I think you miss read the doctor/nurse interface. No Thai nurse would dare question a doctor or offer an opinion!

• Like 2

Such sympathy shown by some. Hope some nurse has read them and knows who you are when giving you a jab.

You don't even know about medical care in thailand do you. To make such a comment. The nurses never give injections here.

Who gives injections then? The janitor?

Janitor the Jabber laugh.png

Such sympathy shown by some. Hope some nurse has read them and knows who you are when giving you a jab.

You don't even know about medical care in thailand do you. To make such a comment. The nurses never give injections here.

You sure about that?

I mean really sure?

Even if you were right [and I'm not sure you are] we live in hope, rusty needles would be an additional bonus.

Edited by Bluespunk

As most of us use 'private' hospitals it's not really fair comparisons. I have used private hospitals here and they are great, caring and professional - but that's what I'm paying for. How many of us use Thai 'public' hospital's? the nurses there probably are highly stressed just as in all pubic hospitals.

As for the comments on Manchester I can't comment specifically but I do have 20 years very senior hospital management experience in UK and it is very stressful I can tell you wai.gif

No different than the rest of the working stiffs in Thailand and around the world, that's why

they call it work, and in this country the work of one person done by 3 people as it evident

in every large shopping place, department stores and hospital where the place is swarming

with personal, most sitting idle... this observation is from a personal experiences....

That's why jobs as security guards, parking attendants, motorbike taxi jockeys, and government officials are so popular here.

• Like 1

You sure about that?

I mean really sure?

Even if you were right [and I'm not sure you are] we live in hope, rusty needles would be an additional bonus.

every time in have seen or had an injection or blood draw in gov hospitals someone other than the nurse did it. Sent to another office or called to where patient was at

My wife told me a story about a woman she knew who went to a gov hospital to deliver her baby..

When the woman got there she was given a bed. No nurse came to see her until she had dropped her water. No doctor came either. When it cane time she felt her contractions and was pushing the baby out the nurses who were supposed to be helping her deliver the baby stood back and did nothing. The woman asked them to help and was instead told they would catch thee baby when it popped out.

Now! How much of this is true I can not say. But I am in the hospitals many times a month for family and I have had to walk to the office many many times just to find the nurse to ask her to go help family because they don't reply to the call button or don't check the patients very often. I am not talking about private hospitals OK.

As for medicine by injections and blood work? Maybe they are called a nurse but they come from a department that only does this job. I would love to think that I just had a bad experience. But I have seen the same treatment many times.

I recently spent a few days in a private hospital in Chiang Mai and the nurse who was looking after me was working 16 shifts.

I am sure it was not doing her any good but even more importantly how was it effecting her competence. I would think to a dangerous degree.

You sure about that?

I mean really sure?

every time in have seen or had an injection or blood draw in gov hospitals someone other than the nurse did it. Sent to another office or called to where patient was at

Well that's your experiences, however......

My wife was a Midwife for 25 years until i told her to retire in 2008 once she had reached the minimum age for pension entitlement. I can tell you that being a Thai nurse is almost slavery, especially if they are single and/or have no children. Single women and women with no children of all ages are put upon and regularly work double shifts including night shifts. Managers are often busy running their own 'other' business and not at Hospitals for hours and days on end and when they are there they are looking after their 'friends and family' that work under them. Even when annual holidays are taken the nurses have to be careful they don't tell management that they are not going away somewhere because if they know they are at home they will call them in to cover for others sickness or other absence with no mention of overtime or replacing holiday entitlement.

In the words of my wife and her nurse friends, being a nurse in Thailand means a continuous life of work, eat and sleep and nothing more.

Nursing is not only limited to the fact that it's a Nobel job but it's hard as well.

I can fully understand that due to the nature of their job responsibilities it can be quiet frustrating as well.

Stress is there in deed.