Me & my cat

anya

It is possible but I wouldn't bring my cat with me if I were moving back to Thailand.  There are some serious diseases for cats in Thailand and I have read somewhere that cats from countries where these diseases are pretty much taken care of would not have the same level of immune system to keep of the illness.  Also, while rabies is pretty much the thing of the past for cats and dogs in the UK, it is still very common for the animals in Thailand.  Most cats are not vaccinated in Thailand and the numbers of stray animals mean diseases get passed around pretty quick.  Things like cat flu are common.

Also, it wouldn't really be wise to let your cat roam around the neighbourhood in Thailand either.  There are loads of stray dogs around that could have your cats for breakfast anytime.  Some of the Thais don't really have positive attitude towards animals and may even hurt them for no reason (that happened to one of my cats when I was living in Thailand).    ???

If possible, I would say don't do it. unless your cat has been an indoor cat all his life, he will have a really rough time.  Some may have different opinion on this but I wouldn't want to risk it.  I have a cat here in London too and am worrying about leaving him here if we have to move back.

thanks for this ....

my cat called Phil and thinks that he is human... no I am not mad.

I take him with me if going to the sea side and if staying with my friends for a weekend..

his mother is siamese but he looks like normal black & white cat... He seems to have good inteligence and never is more then 2 meters away from me.. eats pizza edges if they have tomato ketchup on them and will try anything as long as he knows that I have eaten this before.

what I really am interested to find out - if there is visa or any other limitations or rules for animals to be imported into Thailand?

in UK it is 6 month quarantine.. what about Thailand?

I brought my Burmese cat out, (and a dog). They had to have various vaccinations, anti Rabies, Distemper, Cat Flu etc. and had to be flown in proper flight boxes. They also needed special documentation.

All this was sorted out by my vet and a company called Air Pets near Heathrow and everything went without a hitch. On arrival in Thailand we could not find anybody to give the paperwork to and ended up needing nothing but the airline would not have let them on if the paperwork was not correct.

Contact Thai Airways, your vet and try Air Pets or another animal shipper and they should be able to give you all the advice you need. If your vet can not help, try Chris J. Hall, he is in the book at 15 Temple Sheen Road, East Sheen, London.

When you are here, find a good vet and ensure all the vaccinations are kept fully up to date and you should have no problems.

Good Luck.

Post Script...

My cat stayed with me for two years before she went walkabout. Seems lizards are tastier than the food we gave her! Still see her occasionally, she comes and says hello. The dog died after four years at the age of fourteen, which is a very good age for a Pyrenean. She is deeply missed.