Russian fugitive captured in Pattaya

Rimmer

Russian fugitive captured in Pattaya

n22arrested.jpg

PATTAYA:--A Russian fugitive wanted in a 100 million baht fraud case was captured hiding out in Pattaya.

Maksim Savintcev, 35, was arrested by Chonburi Immigration Police Jan. 30 at the Easy ABC Language School on Thappraya Soi 15 where he had enrolled to obtain a student visa.

Immigration officials said Savintcev had entered Thailand from Laos via the Friendship Bridge on a 90-day education visa that expired April 18. He then extended the visa through Easy ABC.

Savintcev denied being involved in any fraud and refused to sign an acknowledgement that the Russian Embassy had canceled his passport. So he was sent to immigration headquarters in Bangkok for further processing.

- See more at: http://www.pattayamail.com/localnews/russian-fugitive-captured-in-pattaya-44724#sthash.6o5wZpiv.dpuf

pattayamaillogo.png
-- Pattaya Mail 2015-02-06 footer_n.gif

Show me a person with 100 million Baht and I will show you a person who sure does not need a freaking student visa.

Show me a person with 100 million Baht and I will show you a person who probably would get no further in the arrest cycle than walking to the ATM and handing over a contribution to the Police Retirement Fund.

Student visas allow you to stay in LOS for 12 months. Better than a tourist visa and far better for Russians on the run. Don't think any of them ever bother attend the college they enrol at and don't think the college cares once they've had their enrollment fee

• Like 1

A post has been removed:

11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

• Like 1

Show me a person with 100 million Baht and I will show you a person who sure does not need a freaking student visa.

Show me a person with 100 million Baht and I will show you a person who probably would get no further in the arrest cycle than walking to the ATM and handing over a contribution to the Police Retirement Fund.

Just because it was a 100 million baht fraud does not mean he got the full 100 million. Probably trying to stay under the radar. whistling.gif

I am pleased to see that they were able to track and arrest this guy, presumably by searching the immigration database.

I would like to see other foreign countries 'cancelling passports' of their accused citizens when they have failed to restrict them from leaving.

A positive step and result.

Good job abc hey what did russain embassy cancelled his passport? Now what happenes next ? He stays here as stateless refugee for ever ?

Lack of a passport does not make one either stateless or a refugee. Presumably the Russian Embassy cancelled his passport in cooperation with either or both Immigration & Interpol.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Yet another 'quality' tourist I see coffee1.gif alt=coffee1.gif width=32 height=24>

Probably the most boring quote on T.V. It is used so many times and means nothing, contributes nothing and is an irrelevant waste of typing.

This hackneyed dross comes in a close second...

i do sooo miss the finger point, comon give us da finger :-)

While I agree if he had the B100M he should have been able to buy his way out; however, needing a student visa to stay in Thailand is commonplace.

Student visas allow you to stay in LOS for 12 months. Better than a tourist visa and far better for Russians on the run. Don't think any of them ever bother attend the college they enrol at and don't think the college cares once they've had their enrollment fee

Except in this particular case he was arrested 'at the school' so it seems that he was attending classes.