Australian prime minister Abbott faces challenge to leadership

webfact

Australian prime minister faces challenge to leadership
By ROD McGUIRK

CANBERRA, Australia (AP) — Australia's embattled Prime Minister Tony Abbott said Friday that he and his deputy will urge the ruling party to reject calls for a leadership ballot next week that could potentially oust them in a bid to turn around the government's dismal opinion polling.

Halfway through its first three-year term, appearances of a united conservative government have been shattered in recent weeks with public dislike for Abbott blamed in part for big swings against conservative governments at elections in Victoria and Queensland states.

The revolt within the ruling Liberal Party ranks was brought to a head when Abbott was widely criticized for making Queen Elizabeth II's husband, Prince Philip, an Australian knight on Australia's national day last month.

The challenge to Abbott's leadership from by a growing band of disgruntled lawmakers has raised the prospect of Communications Minister Malcolm Turnbull becoming prime minister next week. Turnbull lost the party leadership to the more conservative Abbott by a single vote in a ballot in 2009 while the Liberals were in opposition.

Low-profile Liberal lawmaker Luke Simpkins brought the leadership dispute to a head with an email to his colleagues saying will move a motion at a party meeting Tuesday calling for Abbott to declare that his job and that of his deputy Julie Bishop are open to a ballot of 102 government lawmakers.

Fellow lawmaker Don Randal agreed to second the motion.

Abbott said he and Bishop, the foreign minister, would urge the meeting to reject the motion. He said Australians voted out the chaotic and divided center-left Labor Party government in 2013 because it had changed its prime minister twice in four years in a series of leadership challenges.

"They are perfectly entitled to call for this, but the next point to make is that they are asking the party room to vote out the people that the electorate voted in in September 2013," Abbott told reporters.

"We are not the Labor Party and we are not going to repeat the chaos and the instability of the Labor years," he added.

If the motion is passed, it is not yet clear whether any lawmaker will be nominated to run against Abbott or his deputy.

Turnbull is touted as the most likely potential replacement for Abbott. He had yet to state his position.

Simpkin said he expected Turnbull would be one of a number of leadership contenders.

However the former merchant banker is not popular with the Liberals' coalition partners, the Nationals party.

Turnbull lost his party leadership over his support for an Australian emissions trading scheme proposed by the Labor government. Abbott opposes making polluters pay to curb greenhouse gas emissions. His government last year abolished Australia's carbon tax which had been introduced by Labor.

While the Nationals play no part in choosing the Liberal Party's leader, they will demand that Turnbull does not pursue carbon pricing or legalizing gay marriage if he is elected, The Australian newspaper reported.

A number of ministers agree with Abbott that his support within the government should not be put to a vote.

"It's totally unnecessary and it will make us look a bit of a circus, frankly," Trade Minister Andrew Robb said.

"We saw, from the Labor Party when they were in Government, it turn out like a very bad horror movie," Assistant Treasurer Josh Frydenberg said. "I just don't want to buy another ticket to such a horror movie."

Colleague Sharman Stone said earlier Friday that the growing leadership crisis needed to be resolved next week when parliament sits for the first time this year.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-02-06

Hero to zero in 18 months. Amazing.

Nothing amazing about it. This is normally what happens to Liberals when they actually get into power.

Just watch for the wipeout of the UK Liberals at the GE next year.

Um, you know that the liberals in Australia are our version of the British conservatives? They actually have very close linkages.

But yes. Other than that, first post I've ever agreed with you on. Must be a blue moon.

• Like 2

Considering what he has done to the Expats and tourists here by forcing down the Aussie dollar he will get very little sympathy if he gets shafted from his own mob.

In case you do not understand, he has no control over RBA or other countries and his last concern is someone living over seas off Australian money

Considering what he has done to the Expats and tourists here by forcing down the Aussie dollar he will get very little sympathy if he gets shafted from his own mob.

He didn't force the Australian dollar down, the Reserve Bank did, and they re totally independent of the government. If you are an Aussie you should know that. If you look at the overall situation, the Labor party, Greens and a magnitude of riff raff senators won't pass any austerity measures, thus seeing the government borrowing 1 billion dollars a month to service the debt left by Labor. Because of this, the country's economy is hurting, hence the interest rates cuts by the Reserve Bank last week which, in turn, saw the dollar fall against other currencies. I know it hurts but blame the right establishment and don't single out the wrong person.

• Like 2

In case you do not understand, he has no control over RBA or other countries and his last concern is someone living over seas off Australian money

I like most of your posts...BUT...Some people living off Aus Money, earnt it...By paying prohibitive TAXES...on the promise they would be looked after...

Who ever keeps the promise will succeed...

I'm not a liberal supporter, but since the republic referendum debacle I've said that Malcolm Turnbull would make a good PM. He just seems statesman-like and sensible.

Tony Abbott is an appalling man - I find it very uncomfortable saying to people that our PM trained to be a priest then changed his mind and decided to be a politician. There's something just not quite right with it. {Shiver}

You would have to be a die hard Labor supporter, they're the only ones who accept that Malcolm Turnbull would make a good PM. You should know the saying, Malcolm, the Labor Party's favourite Liberal.

I am a bit concerned about your description and just wonder what you are like? There is no need for you to feel uncomfortable as you just don't have to tell anyone. I doubt very much if anyone would ask, but I think you would just want to bring it up to denigrate him. You shiver, are you cold? Have you never changed your mind about something?

liberal - labor - liberal - labor - liberal - labor - liberal - labor………. and the cycle continues. When are the people going to wake up and simply say no, F%&k off and put a party in that works for the people. The problem is that my fellow Aussie's are just too soft and relaxed to even care.

I'm not a liberal supporter, but since the republic referendum debacle I've said that Malcolm Turnbull would make a good PM. He just seems statesman-like and sensible.

Tony Abbott is an appalling man - I find it very uncomfortable saying to people that our PM trained to be a priest then changed his mind and decided to be a politician. There's something just not quite right with it. {Shiver}

You would have to be a die hard Labor supporter, they're the only ones who accept that Malcolm Turnbull would make a good PM. You should know the saying, Malcolm, the Labor Party's favourite Liberal.

I am a bit concerned about your description and just wonder what you are like? There is no need for you to feel uncomfortable as you just don't have to tell anyone. I doubt very much if anyone would ask, but I think you would just want to bring it up to denigrate him. You shiver, are you cold? Have you never changed your mind about something?

I studied politics back in the old days and the main lesson I learnt was not to support any political party but to question the policies of all. My leanings are liberal with a small L, but even Blind Freddy could see that the ALP is not fit to govern. The Liberal Coalition is not much better, but there are a few good politicians in the ranks. Samran was totally correct about Turnbull - he didn't come out of schooling and enter politics or work for political parties until he got himself a seat; he made a good career for himself, has some experience of life outside the shuttered environment of Canberra. Bill Shorten is the same - no matter what anyone thinks of him as a politician, he worked his way to the top of the union movement, and whilst not so unrestricted as Turnbull, he has a lot of years outside politics to draw experience for. In my opinion, as a potential PM, well, you have to say he's a nice enough bloke.

People I speak to, people who are interested in politics, do sometimes ask what politicians did before entering parliament; it's a question I often ask to get an idea of how much real-life experience they may have. It really isn't such an unusual question. I feel very uncomfortable that someone who trained to be a catholic priest is running the country. It shows where his mind-set probably is. Catholics are very strict on birth control, abortions and homosexuality. I'm not saying that Abbot is, but it would be difficult to avoid some form of indoctrination during training, and some of these things stick. And I shiver because he makes me, as a woman, feel uncomfortable. Creepy. Difficult to explain. Just the kind of bloke I wouldn't want to be stuck in a lift with. Not really a sexual thing, just - ugh. Mark Latham is the same, and despite it was well known that he was gay, Bob Brown, so it's not political party directed. I really can't explain the Bob Brown one. Just creepy.

I don't need to denigrate Abbot, he does a fairly good job of doing it himself. History will remember him as the PM who restored the honours system, and gave Prince Phillip the first knighthood and nothing else. Seriously, just as history will remember Keating as the treasurer who said 'Banana Republic' and 'the recession we had to have' and Harold Holt was the PM who went missing. The other things these men did will not be remembered. I have to say though that I don't think I've seen a PM more unpopular. We had Geoff Kennett for a lot of years and he was despised by so many people, but he turned Victoria around. He was the strong leader we had to have after the Cain-Kirner years of union domination and unrestrained spending. Hated, but at the same time admired. Abbot is just disliked on a personal and professional level. He should never have been the leader of the party - Costello would have been a much better choice in my opinion.

I change my opinion on all sorts of things as I learn more about the issues and history surrounding them. I'm very open-minded and very cynical when it comes to politics. And whilst my leanings are liberal and a bit leftish, my voting is informal; I have strong feelings on compulsory voting. I exercise my democratic right not to vote, because I haven't had a person on the ballot sheet that was worth voting for with the exception of Barry Jones before he retired. He's the only one I ever voted for because he actually did something for the local area. Every other ballot sheet I've ever had has been put into the box or envelope blank apart from the Republic referendum. I know a lot of people don't agree with my stand on compulsory voting, but I've never been convinced otherwise.

• Like 1

Here we go again. Welcome to Australia we are in constant election mode at state, local and federal level. There is one on practically every week and we spend hundreds of millions of dollars on this not to mention the billions wasted blindly following the US in their pointless wars and at the same time the conservatives want you to pay for all your health and education yourself despite paying 25% tax.

I used to love watching the 7.30 Report on Thursday nights for these two - I've never thought to look for them on YouTube, so thank you.

My brother visited us from England once and we were watching. I'll never forget the look of confusion on his face, and then; 'They're not funny. He's not even doing his voice even a little bit like Bob Hawke'.

• Like 1

"Its a coup we had to have"?:whistling::clap2:

Abbott and Hockey have too many holes in their feet. Seen by many as taking from the poor and giving to the rich, which leave many back benches hard to explain to their electorates what benefit the announced policy changes mean. But more to the point is that Tony has ostracized his backbenches to potential loss at the next election.

What was in this guy's mind handing an award to Prince Philip? What arrogance toward the majority of Australians, and to some who would be a more worthy recipient of such an award.

Hope they keep that 'spoilt kid' (Pine) and the 'woman that sucks lemons' (Bishop) out of the kitchen? Turnbull may be a starter with some pedigree.

I used to love watching the 7.30 Report on Thursday nights for these two - I've never thought to look for them on YouTube, so thank you.

My brother visited us from England once and we were watching. I'll never forget the look of confusion on his face, and then; 'They're not funny. He's not even doing his voice even a little bit like Bob Hawke'.

Another one about the budget.

• Like 1

I like most of your posts...BUT...Some people living off Aus Money, earnt it...By paying prohibitive TAXES...on the promise they would be looked after...

Who ever keeps the promise will succeed...

No one said that pensions are not earned, however I am certain the ideal is pension to be spent in Australia not overseas, so to say he ruined it for people living off their pension overseas is rather silly.

I studied politics back in the old days and the main lesson I learnt was not to support any political party but to question the policies of all. My leanings are liberal with a small L, but even Blind Freddy could see that the ALP is not fit to govern. The Liberal Coalition is not much better, but there are a few good politicians in the ranks. Samran was totally correct about Turnbull - he didn't come out of schooling and enter politics or work for political parties until he got himself a seat; he made a good career for himself, has some experience of life outside the shuttered environment of Canberra. Bill Shorten is the same - no matter what anyone thinks of him as a politician, he worked his way to the top of the union movement, and whilst not so unrestricted as Turnbull, he has a lot of years outside politics to draw experience for. In my opinion, as a potential PM, well, you have to say he's a nice enough bloke.

People I speak to, people who are interested in politics, do sometimes ask what politicians did before entering parliament; it's a question I often ask to get an idea of how much real-life experience they may have. It really isn't such an unusual question. I feel very uncomfortable that someone who trained to be a catholic priest is running the country. It shows where his mind-set probably is. Catholics are very strict on birth control, abortions and homosexuality. I'm not saying that Abbot is, but it would be difficult to avoid some form of indoctrination during training, and some of these things stick. And I shiver because he makes me, as a woman, feel uncomfortable. Creepy. Difficult to explain. Just the kind of bloke I wouldn't want to be stuck in a lift with. Not really a sexual thing, just - ugh. Mark Latham is the same, and despite it was well known that he was gay, Bob Brown, so it's not political party directed. I really can't explain the Bob Brown one. Just creepy.

I don't need to denigrate Abbot, he does a fairly good job of doing it himself. History will remember him as the PM who restored the honours system, and gave Prince Phillip the first knighthood and nothing else. Seriously, just as history will remember Keating as the treasurer who said 'Banana Republic' and 'the recession we had to have' and Harold Holt was the PM who went missing. The other things these men did will not be remembered. I have to say though that I don't think I've seen a PM more unpopular. We had Geoff Kennett for a lot of years and he was despised by so many people, but he turned Victoria around. He was the strong leader we had to have after the Cain-Kirner years of union domination and unrestrained spending. Hated, but at the same time admired. Abbot is just disliked on a personal and professional level. He should never have been the leader of the party - Costello would have been a much better choice in my opinion.

I change my opinion on all sorts of things as I learn more about the issues and history surrounding them. I'm very open-minded and very cynical when it comes to politics. And whilst my leanings are liberal and a bit leftish, my voting is informal; I have strong feelings on compulsory voting. I exercise my democratic right not to vote, because I haven't had a person on the ballot sheet that was worth voting for with the exception of Barry Jones before he retired. He's the only one I ever voted for because he actually did something for the local area. Every other ballot sheet I've ever had has been put into the box or envelope blank apart from the Republic referendum. I know a lot of people don't agree with my stand on compulsory voting, but I've never been convinced otherwise.

Excellent post, thanks. Just one small point.... voting isn't compulsory in Australia.

Just saying..... Cheers..... Mal.

Your attempts to paint people as one thing or another, a frankly, hilarious.

Your comment means then that all the people in the electorate of Wentworth a historical launchpad for wannabe PMs- a die hard tory seat that once had the feral abacus himself - John Hewson as a local member are all really rusted on members of the ALP secretly supporting Malcolm for the prime ministership?

The reason people like him is he is one of the few people in parliament these days who have made something out of himself before he went into parliament. He's socially progressive to be sure - but so what? His natural fit is in the liberal party if there ever was a place for him, but perhaps more in the Victorian mould as opposed to Sydney and NSW branches who actually have hard right factions who call themselves the Taliban and seem to fall overthemselves to emulate the US tea party movement.

Glad you found it hilarious, hope you had a good laugh, it is better than being sullen all day.

No, my comment does not have anything to do with Wentworth or any other seat for that matter. But thank you for response. If I was to say anything about Wentworth, I would have, so really, one should not assume. There is a strong consensus amongst most Political commentators and many but not all Labor, Green and liberal voters that they have a strong liking for Malcolm and a loathing of Tony Abbott. So when one hears how the polls rate for him against Abbott, well who knows who is polled and what their political leanings are.

Good luck to the man for what he has achieved, I have never been critical of him in that regard. I cannot agree with you that he has a natural fit in the LNP. Don't forget that his first affiliations, many years ago, was with the Labor party and that he approached Gough to see if Beazley would want him as a Finance spokesman but for whatever reason, this did not come to fruition, he did not join and subsequently became a member of the LNP. Hewson. Let's just leave it at that with this man.

There are many people in Wentworth and other seats who vote for the different parties, I will not list them as you would know but in his own seat Malcolm does attract the Green vote, which is aligned with Labor and also his strong LNP supporters. If you listen to any of the talk back shows, Abbott is criticised by many people who state they are LNP voters and then praised by others who claim to be LNP, Labor or green Voters but mainly Labor. I have yet to hear one Labor supporter criticise Malcolm, it is all praise and they're the ones who prefer him to be PM. Maybe, just maybe, he is liked more for his progressive leftist policies than for his business acumen.

Excellent post, thanks. Just one small point.... voting isn't compulsory in Australia.

From my studies, which admittedly were back in the dark ages (or so it feels) proportional representation can't work unless voting is compulsory. Wasn't that bearded Albie bloke always in trouble for encouraging people to vote informal, which itself is as illegal as voting informal? I wonder what happened to him. Too long ago, but I'm pretty sure that is the case and PR couldn't function without it.

Anyway, the electoral office told me it was when I asked for our names to be temporarily removed from the rolls as we would be overseas for an unknown but long term period and didn't want to go to the nearest embassy or do a postal vote for subsequent elections.j They gave me the wording for a letter to send from each of us and said it's just as well we'd remembered or we could have been fined, (although being overseas was probably enough for it not to be acted on) the fines would go out automatically to the last registered address they had for us.

From my studies, which admittedly were back in the dark ages (or so it feels) proportional representation can't work unless voting is compulsory. Wasn't that bearded Albie bloke always in trouble for encouraging people to vote informal, which itself is as illegal as voting informal? I wonder what happened to him. Too long ago, but I'm pretty sure that is the case and PR couldn't function without it.

Anyway, the electoral office told me it was when I asked for our names to be temporarily removed from the rolls as we would be overseas for an unknown but long term period and didn't want to go to the nearest embassy or do a postal vote for subsequent elections.j They gave me the wording for a letter to send from each of us and said it's just as well we'd remembered or we could have been fined, (although being overseas was probably enough for it not to be acted on) the fines would go out automatically to the last registered address they had for us.

Malt, you are wrong. They even fine you if you don't vote in the local council elections.

No he does not have control over the RBA but his dismal performance has had an impact on the aussie Dollar because of a lack of consumer and business confidence in the country and the talk is all about the polls and not on anything positive if in deed there is anything positive happening in oz at the moment, there will be an immediate peak in the dollar if Julie Bishop and Malcolm Turnbull walk out of the party room as the next boss and deputy in any order.

I certainly am no fan of the current govt.... I like that fact the Coalition appear to be delusional, thinking that Abbott can turn around, what he himself created... I want Abbott to stay EXACTLY where he is... In the present climate, a party led by this bloke is unelectable.

I have always questioned this bloke's judgement... From the days of his time in the seminary, and the circumstance surrounding his decision not to pursue a career as a priest... which were strange time indeed. T o his inexplicable appointment, when minister for industrial relations, of Kathy Jackson's partner, Michael Lawler to fair work Australia, as the Number 2.... a position from which Lawler has not been able to progress, wonder why, even to this day?...

To the absolutely gobsmackingly stupid decision to reference Pedophile Priest John Gerard Nestor... who incidentally is being investigated during the current Child Abuse Royal Commission. http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-06-24/royal-commission-into-child-sex-abuse-john-nestor/5546078

Then we come to the decision to ban RU486, when he was health minister... That decision had no basis on medical grounds, but rather his religious beliefs played a major role in the making of that decison. The decison was THAT BAD, that the PM at the time, John Howard, hardly a social progressive, allowed a conscience vote on the matter, and Abbott;s decision to ban RU486 for 10 years was over turned. http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-06-24/royal-commission-into-child-sex-abuse-john-nestor/5546078

To finally knighting Phil the Greek. I guess that makes his wife, Lady Lizzy....

For years and years, Abbott has been the gift that keeps giving.... I want him to stay exactly where he is, making stupid decisions and making the life of Liberal Poliiticians all around the country, just that bit harder... he is by far, the best asset the ALP currently has...

Edited by winnerinsix
  • Like 2

No he does not have control over the RBA but his dismal performance has had an impact on the aussie Dollar because of a lack of consumer and business confidence in the country and the talk is all about the polls and not on anything positive if in deed there is anything positive happening in oz at the moment, there will be an immediate peak in the dollar if Julie Bishop and Malcolm Turnbull walk out of the party room as the next boss and deputy in any order.

He does not single handedly run the country, the party does

There are either good policy's put forward by the party or the bad ones.

Makes little difference who leads the party when policy's are crap