Thai Police fines Dutch couple for carrying Swiss army knife in car (VIDEO)

webfact

I'd like to explain that people cannot just carry a knife in public. It's illegal

Any Western restaurants in Thailand? Restaurants are public places right? What an fantastic money making opportunity for the BiB! All those rich foreign diners clutching knives!

Hit every knife and fork eatery in the nation!

BUST of the CENTURY!

Go for it boys!

blink.pngw00t.gif

I think that woman`s voice was a more deadlier weapon than that knife. She should have been arrested for having an offensive tongue.

The situation may have gone better if she had kept her big mouth shut.

Totally agree, if she had shut-up it would have all gone away.

All that is necessary in these situations is to say nothing except "khop Khun krap" "thank you for taking care of our safety" and shake his hand with a small token to express your gratitude for exemplary police work. Despite recent proclamations, this works particularly well when discussing speeding with a finest armed with one of the new radar guns.

But of much more interest is why they stopped that particular car and searched it in the first place?

I don't think this is an everyday occurrence on the way to the airport, especially if Farangs are visible. Looks like drugs were expected.

Authorities today backed up police officers criticized for charging two Dutch citizens with carrying a Swiss army knife in their vehicle.

Lying, face saving cowards.

Pathetic.

bah.gif

Edited by Fullstop

I sometimes carry a hoe in the tray of my pickup. Isn't that a weapon?

What about a my tire iron? I think either of these items could do a lot more damage than a pocket knife.

I usually carry a hoe on the back of me bike....she sure can be weapon sometimes...cheesy.gif

• Like 1

rubbish...

having a swiss army knife is against thailand law? since 2015?

useless police

where is the loud mouth PM now?

there's too much for him to do. if he cannot do it, don't always claim this and claim that

Probably not. But if you say it's for self defense then it is.

A Swiss army folding knife is not an offensive weapon , it has innumerable other useful applications . The woman should have had it in her handbag , at

least until reaching the airport . It was a mistake to say that she carried it for self defence when she is driving alone , because that implied that it

could be used for offensive purposes . I do not believe that carrying it in the glove pocket constituted a threat to anybody . The police were purely

exerting their officious power to collect money . The publicity and film is just what Thailand doesn't need now , when the economy is flagging and tourist

numbers down , it further demonstrates the sense of suppression Thailand is under .

Geez...I have been carrying a big Swiss Army Knife (the fat bugger) around with me in a belt pouch

for years in LOS...never had a problem. Even loaned it to a coper once so he could open a bottle

of Fanta in Hatyai. By the logic in the video I reckon they got the fine due to the womans

voice...but maybe I'm wrong...who knows. And by another form of logic I guess the "authorities"

will ban hot noodles on flights too. The BS is gettin about knee deep in this place....

Edited by sunshine51

This is typical of the police in hot countries. For example over thirty years ago I worked in such a place (for the sake of diplomacy I won't name the country) From time to time the police would do speed checks using radar guns. It would go like this, Brown face, brown face, brown face, nothing happens. White face and up comes the radar gun followed by "Oh you are speeding Sir"

A colleague who really should have been a diplomat told me about another hot country. He was driving along quite normally when a policeman accused him of running a red light. Somehow Eddie managed to humour the man and it turned out that the officer had not been paid for six weeks and was having difficulty feeding his family. Eddie gave the man some money and the red light accusation was dropped. As they say "Travel broadens the mind".

Another very nasty episode did occur in that country however. The roads and traffic circulation had been altered and what had been a two way street was now a one way street. Eddie knew this so was driving in the correct direction. A local then drove the wrong way and caused a head-on collision. The police were there in a flash and they said "No photos". Next they organised a wrecker truck to re-position the cars so that the locals car was now facing the right way and Eddies car was facing the wrong way. "You may take photos now" said the officer.

Allegedly in these places the locals have no insurance but the white man has. The result is that when there is an accident the name of the game is blame the white man as this is the ONLY way for the uninsured locals to get money.

A variation on this theme is the mugging.of lorry drivers. Allegedly a piglet will be hurled at the lorry windscreen. This causes a load bang and a lot of blood so the lorry driver stops and gets out to check what has happened. BAD MISTAKE!

Take care!

• Like 1

Police can apprehend & fine a foreigner carrying a pocket knife in a car, but can't be of any assistance to foreigners being robbed on Sukhumvit by ladyboys (or might in fact even be busy extorting them and administering pee tests to them just a little further up the road...lol). Thainess at its very best. Why in the world would a tourist want to go anyplace else when they can come to Thailand and be abused by the criminals AS WELL AS the police?!

The fun just never ends.

• Like 2

I am sick to death of hearing stories like this. After living in the Kingdom for 34 years I can truly say the Thai police have fallen a long way in the time. In 1980, the police although somewhat unskilled in the duties were basically fair, particularly with falang. Respect was given on both side of the street. But now, angry greedy frustrated men rule the roost.

A Swiss Army knife for damn sake. I have one and if it wasn't so lumpy I would carry it. Not for the knife but for all the other utilities. The girl should have known better and kept her mouth close about it being a defense weapon and told the police she liked the nail file, the scissors and the screw-driver. Possibly not the pig-sticker. 8-)

I think the copper just wanted it (they are expensive), and it is now in the bottom of his sock drawer, together with the Playboy mags he as well has confiscated to save the morality of Thailand.

Yes, it is disgusting, and they need to be exposed and shamed. Big time. Really we should all get behind this.

Hahaha, sorry guys but this is not news. This happens I don't know how many times a day in TH. I guess the Thai female married to the Orangeman got them fined in the end with her never ending nagging voice and camera in the cops faces. It's funny how the Dutch guy says to her; get his rank and name; sorry mate, but this TH, not NL. And to be quite honest; what is the difference with NL where the cops have cameras everywhere flashing when you drive 3 km's too fast or haul your car away when you didn't empty enough euros into the parking machine. All the complaining here about getting ripped off for 14-15 euros, in NL the fine for carrying a knife is more like 200 euro. Move along now

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Hmm, I bet they would have a field day with the Leatherman I carry with me where ever I go...

What is a leatherman? I may need one and don't know it.

Also I did not see what the FINE was. Please post it If you know it.

Edited by Jimbolai

I think that woman`s voice was a more deadlier weapon than that knife. She should have been arrested for having an offensive tongue.

how many of us have lived or witnessed a woman with high pitch sharp voice bragging on for hours making the place a living hell

i wouldnt have her even as my lawyer i would strangle her like a chicken before the end of the day..

sure the situation would have settle down without that <deleted> making all this racket noise..

police are doing their job! ok is not a big knife but its their job to control..

how many of us have lived or witnessed a woman with high pitch sharp voice bragging on for hours making the place a living hell

i wouldnt have her even as my lawyer i would strangle her like a chicken before the end of the day..

sure the situation would have settle down without that sheetah making all this racket noise..

police are doing their job! ok is not a big knife but its their job to control..

You can buy switch blades , tasers, tear gas , swords everywhere and yet if stopped they fine you. I carry a knife in the car in case I ever end up in a river and have to cut seatbelt off or break window to get out. Just another way for BIB to get more money.

• Like 1