Martial law still necessary under current situation

Lite Beer

A poll of 1,120 people out of a population of 67,000,000 is meaningless.

That's about 0.0017% of the population......ridiculous.

Actually according to statistics it can be done. Maybe you should study statistics, this is not my field but i played around a bit with the page i just posted and its amazing how low a sample you need.

http://www.surveysystem.com/sscalc.htm#one

It can be done if the population being surveyed is homogeneous: for example, if 500,000 well-off people buy a Mercedes E-Class, one could survey 1000 of them to extrapolate things like the car's dependability and their overall satisfaction.

But Thailand is not a homogenous society, and a Bangkok-centric poll is not going to being accurate in determining the national sentiment for much of anything, much less the necessity of continued military rule.

This poll would be far more credible if conducted regionally--north, northeast, central and south, about a thousand people from each place.

• Like 1

Without a good translation of the questions asked, and a demographic showing what areas were polled, no conclusions (peer reviewed) can be drawn form the report. Some bright lad showed a link to a software company hawking their modeling software online (an advertisement) decided that there is truth in advertising..

Sociologists say that a demographic poll, to be valid, needs a sample of at least 2000 to determine a nationwide opinion. Further, all questions asked must be attached to the poll, to ascertain veracity.

Any poll that shows a near-split, like the resulting answers that had 50/50 response, are more than 75% likely to be inaccurate.

• Like 1

TVF members should coordinate our own poll across Bangkok to see the percentage of Bangkokians that believe Bangkok polls aren't fabricated. The never-ending decimal point percentage results with impeccable contemporary news timing is beyond laughable now and just embarrassingly cringey. Surely the masses don't buy into this absolute shiiiite?!?!?!

Edited by bboy
  • Like 1

'Bangkok Poll conducted its latest survey of 1,120 people from all walks of live across the country'

I wonder how far outside of Bangkok they actually call "across the country?"

Are you suggesting they never asked anyone in Chiang Mai ?

Try to open your mind, no need to be skeptical about everything that goes on in Thailand.

Martial law is here to stay till the red activists are reformed and understand what is good for Thailand and not only for their pockets or the pockets of their infamous leaders.

The Thai people have started already distancing themselves from these clowns as they have the brain to understand what they represent.

Of course there will be many farangs here concerned about martial law as they can't drink their beer at all times in the seedy bars they occupy.

What I have to say to them is...........Hard Luck.

Your analogy has us under martial law indefinitely>>till the red activists are reformed and understand what is good for Thailand and not only for their pockets or the pockets of their infamous leaders.<<< We will have to wait for a new generation to be born. I also think you must feel the yellow shirts are harmless with no clowns as you put it in their midst.

When your not making a feeble attempt at humor your view of the country at large and in particular the current state of control both present and past is totally laughable and shows your own feeble view and country living conditions without access to real news on a continuing basis.

Stick to your troll posts and your attempts to make us laugh please.

Martial law is here to stay till the red activists are reformed and understand what is good for Thailand and not only for their pockets or the pockets of their infamous leaders.

The Thai people have started already distancing themselves from these clowns as they have the brain to understand what they represent.

Of course there will be many farangs here concerned about martial law as they can't drink their beer at all times in the seedy bars they occupy.

Yeah, of course. Anyone against a military government is a 'red activist'rolleyes.gif .

Also, you need to try and think (not easy for you, perhaps) about why all those 'seedy' bars exist in the first place. Go on. Give it a go.

• Like 2

'Bangkok Poll conducted its latest survey of 1,120 people from all walks of live across the country'

Try to open your mind, no need to be skeptical about everything that goes on in Thailand.

I for one am not skeptical of 'everything' that goes on in Thailand, but this poll result is pushing the boundaries of common sense.

Military dictatorship is a highly charged issue in the country, even among many Bangkokians. Yet we're to believe that 70% of the population supports the erosion of their civil liberties? That is an astoundingly high number given how fractured the country is politically, and how many people likely see the military government as 'yellow' in nature.

All this poll demonstrates to me is that the "government" wised up enough to stop publishing 90%+ approval ratings. (They probably didn't like all the comparisons to N.Korea.) And I guess they think 70% is more believable, while they can still claim the 'face' that comes with such an overwhelmingly high approval rating.

Bangkok Poll conducted its latest survey of 1,120 people from all walks of live across the country

700-02593814er.jpg

"EXCUSE ME CAN I ASK YOU A POLL QUESTION?"

They use the same method like other country like Germany and France

Use a panel of different people from all the Country.....

Now you must understand that a majority of thai people want to see peace and order in Country before have an "elected" government

Majority of thai are boring with politics, they aspire to live in peace without fear to die or to be hurt during in fight between to rival politic camp

Last unrest in Bangkok has 30 causality majority of innocent people and 4 innocents children........ Perhaps you like that but thai don't

A poll of 1,120 people out of a population of 67,000,000 is meaningless.

That's about 0.0017% of the population......ridiculous.

Look up the academic rigor regarding statistical sampling appertaining to sample size and selection. You might be surprised.

I know it's hard for some to do two things at once but next time the director general shoots himself in the foot could he keep his foot in his mouth?

Not heard of multi tasking? So what has the poor PM done now to rile you? If you are referring to martial law, pray tell how it effects you that it has given rise to this piece of diatribe. Who cares if martial law is still in force, it will affect only those, of any persuasion, who will cause or attempt to cause unrest. So if you an expat and do not have those intentions what is your problem? Many criticise the law being in force but never give a reason for their criticism.. Can you? No effect on me or anyone that I know.

Edited by Si Thea01
  • Like 1

I for one am not skeptical of 'everything' that goes on in Thailand, but this poll result is pushing the boundaries of common sense.

Military dictatorship is a highly charged issue in the country, even among many Bangkokians. Yet we're to believe that 70% of the population supports the erosion of their civil liberties? That is an astoundingly high number given how fractured the country is politically, and how many people likely see the military government as 'yellow' in nature.

All this poll demonstrates to me is that the "government" wised up enough to stop publishing 90%+ approval ratings. (They probably didn't like all the comparisons to N.Korea.) And I guess they think 70% is more believable, while they can still claim the 'face' that comes with such an overwhelmingly high approval rating.

Don't decry something just because it doesn't give you the answer you want or expect.

Most rural or working class Thais I know don't really think politics is anything to do with them. Sure they might get a vote, but can only vote for rich connected elites or their nominees as no one else is allowed to stand; or has the necessary funds to win. There is this feudal attitude which prevails.

On the other hand, they all want to get on with the lives without fear of getting caught up in violence as political camps fight for control and the spoils. Erosion of civil liberties - yeah, right. It would be a wonderful day for Thailand if and when the majority actually get real civil liberties, something they've never really had.

• Like 1

Without a good translation of the questions asked, and a demographic showing what areas were polled, no conclusions (peer reviewed) can be drawn form the report. Some bright lad showed a link to a software company hawking their modeling software online (an advertisement) decided that there is truth in advertising..

Sociologists say that a demographic poll, to be valid, needs a sample of at least 2000 to determine a nationwide opinion. Further, all questions asked must be attached to the poll, to ascertain veracity.

Any poll that shows a near-split, like the resulting answers that had 50/50 response, are more than 75% likely to be inaccurate.

"Sociologists say that a demographic poll, to be valid, needs a sample of at least 2000 to determine a nationwide opinion."

Can you reference this please?

Cheers.

Don't decry something just because it doesn't give you the answer you want or expect.

Most rural or working class Thais I know don't really think politics is anything to do with them. Sure they might get a vote, but can only vote for rich connected elites or their nominees as no one else is allowed to stand; or has the necessary funds to win. There is this feudal attitude which prevails.

On the other hand, they all want to get on with the lives without fear of getting caught up in violence as political camps fight for control and the spoils. Erosion of civil liberties - yeah, right. It would be a wonderful day for Thailand if and when the majority actually get real civil liberties, something they've never really had.

"Don't decry something just because it doesn't give you the answer you want or expect."

I can decry that which I find implausible, never mind what I want or expect.

"Most rural or working class Thais I know don't really think politics is anything to do with them."

Oh really? Yet in the last election 75% of the electorate turned out to vote.

"... can only vote for rich connected elites or their nominees as no one else is allowed to stand; or has the necessary funds to win."

How is this different than most other countries? I'll answer for you: It's not. So why assert that Thais don't feel they have a stake in their country, when it's obvious the great majority of them do. Otherwise there wouldn't have been any political tension in the first place.

"On the other hand, they all want to get on with the lives without fear of getting caught up in violence as political camps fight for control and the spoils."

No not "all." Some do. And as I've already stated, I personally don't think this particular poll is indicative of the true percentage equaling that "some."

"Erosion of civil liberties - yeah, right..."

You have a point here, inasmuch as Thais have never enjoyed the degree of civil liberties we in the west consider inalienable rights. But current conditions dictate that now even reading certain books (1984) in public is forbidden, along with political dissent in general. That definitely qualifies as an erosion of civil liberties, so I believe the crux of my remark stands.

Hear, hear...... from the top graduate of the attitude adjustment course.

• Like 1

I know it's hard for some to do two things at once but next time the director general shoots himself in the foot could he keep his foot in his mouth?

Not heard of multi tasking? So what has the poor PM done now to rile you? If you are referring to martial law, pray tell how it effects you that it has given rise to this piece of diatribe. Who cares if martial law is still in force, it will affect only those, of any persuasion, who will cause or attempt to cause unrest. So if you an expat and do not have those intentions what is your problem? Many criticise the law being in force but never give a reason for their criticism.. Can you? No effect on me or anyone that I know.

As long as it does not trouble you, than it must be okay. The army's behavior has :

1. Made starting and doing business in the kingdom a concern. Visas have become an issue more so in Thailand than in China or SE neighbors .

2. Cannot get travel insurance. People get banged up all the time in the kingdom, and insurance is needed

3. Generally it just makes the country look like a basket case.

We are all very happy to know you and your friends are fine.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

As long as it does not trouble you, than it must be okay. The army's behavior has :

1. Made starting and doing business in the kingdom a concern. Visas have become an issue more so in Thailand than in China or SE neighbors .

2. Cannot get travel insurance. People get banged up all the time in the kingdom, and insurance is needed

3. Generally it just makes the country look like a basket case.

We are all very happy to know you and your friends are fine.

What a load of croc, starting or doing business a concern. Pray tell me how? As for visas, it is generally those who want to play outside the system who have problems. Travel insurance, tell me what company will not issue this. So you're saying that the millions travelling here cannot get cover. What BS. The country is third world and trying hard to get out of this situation but a basket case, just more rhetoric from those who can only post generalisations, never facts.

And thank you all for feeling happy that my friends and I are doing fine, and yes we all live a comfortable and stress free life, not like some on here who must lead a most miserable existence if their posts are anything to go by. I really feel for many because no matter what is posted they are always posting in the negative. How can people live like this and get their kicks through posting many untrue or totally misleading statements.

Hope you time, if you are here, improves. If you are so down on the country, then you have options beside the whinging you carry on with.