UK Family Visit visa payment

UKVI will charge the same whether you pay by credit or debit card.

The charges made for the currency conversion, and even the rate of exchange used, will vary from provider to provider.

Check with all of yours to see who will work out to be cheapest to you.

As 7by7 said, the charges are made for the currency conversion.

For the UK, it depends on the bank and isn't necessarily better for debit or credit cards (it's not the same as with ATM withdrawals in that respect, where credit cards are almost invariably worse).

Nationwide were famous for being good about this for years, so you could try them (do check the rates though) if you want a long-term improvement in this respect. Otherwise, just check the rates on your current bank cards and pick the best one. Watch out for fixed charges on top of the exchange rate loading. Probably less of an issue for a single payment, but I ditched LloydsTSB a while ago because they imposed a £1 transaction fee - I had a couple of small monthly payments in USD and didn't fancy a £24/year account fee hike.

I have no idea what Thai credit card providers charge, but unless you have plenty of funds in both UK and Thai accounts and really don't mind which pot of money you take from, then the cost of moving funds from one to the other would probably outweigh any potential savings.

Edited by fbf

I agree with the earlier advice that you will need to check with your own card company.

The UKVI will process the charge in the UK but in US$ at their rate.

My partner recently applied for a two year visit visa, the cost as laid down by Parliament is £300.

On the day she applied that equated to THB15,300.

The rate of exchange on the day £300 equated to USD468, she was charged $513 by the UKVI.

As she used her Thai credit card she was charged THB17,305, which on the day equated to £340, so a supplement of about 13%.

Not a very scientific exercise, but it may help the OP decide which card to use.

It was so much easier before when she popped into the bank at or near the Visa Application Centre and collected a commission free draft and paid in Thai Baht at the Consular Rate.

• Like 1

If you worried how much you pay extra, go pay with cash only. Then no extra fee needed

From what I understand you are not able to pay in cash

You understand correctly; the fee now has to be paid online by card when the online form is submitted.

There is no other option.