convert optical audio TV output to analog amplifier or headphones

fvw53

I am one of the ThaiVisa old timers with worsening hearing conditions...

About 8 years ago I bought a television LG 42PC1RR

It had no input for a headphone but it had a "variable audio output"

To use the headphone I needed a mini amplifier (Radio Shack) which - with some adapter cables - could be connected to the "variable audio output" on the TV side and on also to the old style headphone cable with pin plug.

I liked this solution because it allowed me to listen to the television without cutting out the sound of the main speakers so that my wife - who has better ears than me - could also listen directly.

Now I am in need to replace the old LG and I notice that "variable audio output" is no longer existing.

Many new TV's have an old style headphone (cable and pin plug) input but then they cut out the sound of the main speakers which is not acceptable.

However they have now an "optical audio output" and the offer on the internet confuses me :

On Ebay UK they seem to have what I need to connect the TV to the Radio Shack mini amplifier :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/toslink-to-rca

However there is in Thailand an item which seems to allow to connect on one side to the TV (optical audio output) as well as to the old style headphone (with cable and pin to plug in) / it seems here is no need for a mini ampli ?

http://www.mc.co.th/products/view/1582/toslink-coax-to-trs-audio-converter

Because I get the most confusing explanations from sales people in HomePro I hope that a member of ThaiVisa will understand and be able to give advise.

Thanks

• Like 1

If your TV isn't able to output both from the internal speakers and the headphone jack at the same time, the very first thing you'll need to confirm is whether or not it is able to output optical digital and play the internal speakers at the same time....

Are you able to sed a red light coming from the optical output while still hearing audio from the TV speakers?

If your TV isn't able to output both from the internal speakers and the headphone jack at the same time, the very first thing you'll need to confirm is whether or not it is able to output optical digital and play the internal speakers at the same time....

Are you able to sed a red light coming from the optical output while still hearing audio from the TV speakers?

Sorry I cannot reply as I have not yet bought the new television

Most of the 'lower-end' TVs do disconnect the internal speakers when you use the External Speakers/Headphone Audio-out port.

A few 'high-end' TVs have an Auxiliary Audio-out that do not disconnect the internal speakers. But how much are you willing to go over budget to get that feature??

Another option might be to purchase an permanently connect the TV to an external Amplifier with Auxiliary Audio-out ports so you can have the amplifier give the room great sound for watching sports and movies and have the Aux Audio-out provide your private headphone amplifier with the signal needed for you to hear.

Yet another option might be to buy an A/V amplifier that allows multiple HDMI/Component+Audio input (for Cable/Sat/BR/DVD/Media-Player/Game-Console connections) and have the OUTPUT sent to both the TV and tap the audio-out for the headphones.

No idea about a small optical to audio converter,

that optical output is really for connection to home theatre

Using it will not mute the normal speakers,

that is generally done from a menu option

So you have nothing to worry about