Worst motorists

Gweiloman

I live on top of Asoke / Sukhumvit junction. My daily jaunts (work commute, dinner outings etc) include Sukhumvit down to Thong Lo / Ekkamai, Asoke / Ratchadapisek down to Petchaburi junction and Huay Kwang and Rama 9 to Ramkhamheng and Lat Krabang. These are some of the busiest roads in Bkk, at all hours of the day.

There are very few painted outlines of accidents on these roads.

Check out, for example, the road that connects Seri Thai to Ramkhamhaeng...there's always 2 or 3 outlines there.

We are going off topic here Dave.

My OP is that I think the motorists in Russia is worse than in Thailand, on the evidence of the crashes shown on youtube. That does not mean that there are no accidents in Thailand or that there aren't any idiotic drivers here. But it seems to me that Russia is a more dangerous country to drive / ride in compared to Thailand. The nature of the accidents here and what I see on youtube of accidents in Russia are very different.

The description quotes Indian traffic but I believe it's actually in Vietnam ( Ho Chi Min city)

I'd agree that it's Vietnam. Too many bikes for India (and not enough cows!). Both countries LOVE their horns though!

In the vid vehicles are driving on the right side of the road as in VN.

India/wrong side.

The description quotes Indian traffic but I believe it's actually in Vietnam ( Ho Chi Min city)

I'd agree that it's Vietnam. Too many bikes for India (and not enough cows!). Both countries LOVE their horns though!

In the vid vehicles are driving on the right side of the road as in VN.

India/wrong side.

You have to admit that "correct side of the road" is a very loose term in India wink.png

• Like 1

You have to admit that "correct side of the road" is a very loose term in India wink.png

One thing that struck me is how courteous the drivers were. People making way for others, no one pushing their way no matter who was coming.

A 30 year expat described driving in Thailand to me as a continuous flow of water. Any empty space will be filled.

That vid was a perfect example.

• Like 1

Russian people drink a lot and most of the accidents i watched there looks like riders are drunk or half drunk as form some instances, there cannot be any reason.

that people are better that this. at least they know how to handle motorcyclists unlike Russia and they are polite too.

Obviously you haven't driven in the middle east.

Makes Thailand and Russia look like Disneyland.

oh yes, i have never been as scared on any road as i was in lebanon. absolute madness.

taking a long distance bus journey there i was politely offered the front seat next to the driver. i knew i didnt want it but couldn't refuse. the most terrifying journey.

One thing that struck me is how courteous the drivers were. People making way for others, no one pushing their way no matter who was coming.

A 30 year expat described driving in Thailand to me as a continuous flow of water. Any empty space will be filled.

That vid was a perfect example.

Sorry, which country were you referring to? So far we're up to Russia, Thailand, Vietnam and India. I don't think I would describe Indian driving as courteous (well maybe on a spiritual level when there is a cow in sight!).

Sorry, which country were you referring to?

The one in the video

Thanks. Vietnam seems to be the consensus. Yes, it is strange. Crossing the road there is enough to make me religious again. The amount of faith you put in the system at each step, whilst gambling with your life, is unreal. You get used to it after a while but it works blink.png

Sorry, which country were you referring to?

The one in the video

Thanks. Vietnam seems to be the consensus. Yes, it is strange. Crossing the road there is enough to make me religious again. The amount of faith you put in the system at each step, whilst gambling with your life, is unreal. You get used to it after a while but it works blink.png

I had just gotten back from HCMC a couple of weeks ago. Apparently, in a population of approx 9 million people, there are over 4 million bikes!!

When crossing the street, don't try avoiding the bikes - just set your sight on where you want to go, step onto the street and start walking at an even pace. Don'ts run, don't stop. The riders there will know how to avoid you. Buses are another story, haha

• Like 1

I spent a week in Moscow and confirm Russians have a higher percentage of horrible drivers and do crazier stuff than Thais. They don't follow any road rules and do it with big and fast vehicles. I also saw 2 guys drink half a bottle of vodka with their lunch. I'm sure they drank the whole thing but we left before them.

I have not been to the Middle East but hear similar stories of big egos with new money.

I spent a week in Moscow and confirm Russians have a higher percentage of horrible drivers and do crazier stuff than Thais. They don't follow any road rules and do it with big and fast vehicles. I also saw 2 guys drink half a bottle of vodka with their lunch. I'm sure they drank the whole thing but we left before them.

I have not been to the Middle East but hear similar stories of big egos with new money.

What is striking about the videos that I have seen is that even though traffic might be at a standstill, you will get one car just blowing past everybody else, with the expected consequences.

The amount of faith you put in the system at each step, whilst gambling with your life, is unreal. You get used to it after a while but it works blink.png

In sharp contrast to the West. Makes a person wonder if the system there is so much better ? Not for me.

The constant, anal, blind law enforcement leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

But then - it has since the 60's !

Edited by seedy
  • Like 1

Saw a good one yesterday on Sukhumvit dumb tourist decided toopen door on Taxi on the traffic side heheheh no injuries but the baby was really wailing and mom was screaming and a lot of harash words being directed at the tourist. To calm everything down probably cost him a few thousand. It could have been a lot worse.

Yep, the vietnamese. Selfish, autistic effers in most cases. Overtaking needlessly, endangering oncoming traffic. Please allow me to give a few examples:

1. We are not in a hurry. My boss is driving a decades old tiny Suzuki van with a gutless engine. There is a long line of trucks and we are in a larger city. Even overtaking 5 trucks would only let us gain maybe 120 meters. Traffic's moving, although slowly. The driver pulls into the lane, endangering the biker who's overtaking a cr. Now we are in his lane and only by swerving wildly can he avoid a head-on collision on his lane.

2. It's near midnight. There are 2 cars coming from opposite directions. alas, a Vietnamese driver won't wait 5 seconds. Hell no. Instead, he drives into the middle. Lots of honking, another dangerous situation... No waiting, ever! Motorcycles don't count - they might as well be "invisible". I kid you not.

3. They set their lights on high beam, blinding oncoming traffic...

4. I witnessed buses running red lights and speeding 2.5 at 2.5 times the speed limit. do they ever lose their license for such conduct? What's the hurry?

5. Sometimes, a car or a bus will endanger me on my side of the road. They are bigger and it's for you to break hard - it's you prroblem! They might honk or flash their lights - but you gotta get outta their way - or end up in hospital or on a graveyard. Your choice, really.

Yes, I've seen awful Thai driving. But the stubbornness and total ignorance as to other people's needs is somewhat stronger in Vietnam. JMHO.

I well remember my first white knuckle drive into town in the son in law's truck. You get used to it after a year or so, I now actually enjoy driving in Thailand with the ebb and flow of give and take, god knows if I could adjust to driving back home again. Driving peacefully along in the province of Buriram, the occasional idiot generally has a Bangkok license plate, and if I might go further, it may well be a Honda Civic.

Never mind. This morning, after 5 minutes on the main road, I told the wife 'This is going to be one of those days, I don't always drive like a pro, but at least I know when my driving isn't up to scratch' (not in perfect Thai of course). She didn't believe me, but tonight she did, I was right. We experienced about 5 minor near accidents / cases of stupidity (plus the usual selfishness, which is to be expected and so isn't a problem). Coming back tonight we saw a nasty accident, I kept our granddaughter from seeing it.

I can drive for weeks without anything happening and then it all happens at once. My first drive to Bangkok afforded us the pleasure of seeing the results of five accidents. Never seen that kind of thing since.