Fast-preparation snacks for guest-house - ideas?

simon43

Cheese on toast or US style grilled cheese would also offer a good margin and require very little effort.

cheese-cheese-sandwich-food-sandwich-toa

Makro sells large blocks of 'singles' which can be frozen and also 7-11 style bread. Should be able to knock out a grilled cheese for under 15 Baht.

Also..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Croque-monsieur

Should be able to knock it out in minutes for 25 Baht or so.

Edited by notmyself

Toasted sandwiches from a sandwich making machine.

Paninis - sound posher! Cheese (keeps well in fridge), Tuna (from tin), Ham (also keeps well in fridge) Tomatoes (also keep well in fridge) Bread/Panini (keeps for ages if frozen fresh and can be cooked from frozen). Burgers (frozen of course) is also an easy option for the same reason. Virtually no waste. Make a cheap coleslaw thro' out the day for the garnish which you throw away each night ready for to start a fresh new batch next morning - the ingredients for this last quite some time in the fridge. The coleslaw garnish give a fresh element to your fast food. Frozen pizzas are another easy choice just make sure you try everything and don't settle for cheap if its nasty. Plus a full stock of crisps, confectionery etc for the ppl with the munchies. A vending machine with 24 hrs access would be ideal. If you're not a chef don't try and be too ambitious but what you do offer make sure its is done well - most ppl are easily pleased if the fare is good and tasty, it doesn't have to be fancy and expensive. My friend stayed in a resort on Koh Chang where the English owner cooked a full English breakfast (bacon, sausage, toms, mushrooms, eggs etc) for the guests everyday and he said it was excellent. They owner wasn't a chef but told my friend he just taught himself to be good at cooking one type of dish (breakfast). I don't think he offered any other cooked food but is still the No1 budget resort on Koh Chang (look it up on trip advisor). I think its called Elephant and Castle but I may be wrong.

• Like 1

My friend stayed in a resort on Koh Chang where the English owner cooked a full English breakfast (bacon, sausage, toms, mushrooms, eggs etc) for the guests everyday and he said it was excellent. They owner wasn't a chef but told my friend he just taught himself to be good at cooking one type of dish (breakfast). I don't think he offered any other cooked food but is still the No1 budget resort on Koh Chang (look it up on trip advisor). I think its called Elephant and Castle but I may be wrong.

I would be tempted to work on providing a more extensive (expensive) breakfast too.

Still, I can understand the OPs point about being able to provide and easy snack during the day.

Do some statistcal probabilities. What are the chances 8 Chinese at a time want to eat the same thing.

Probably nil.

If your rooms are fully booked try raising your rates. If anything is operating near capacity rates are likely too low.

I thought Simon operated Resorts- not 4 room hostel....................hahahaha.

guacamole dip with chips

If you knew what the price of a single avocado pear costs here, you wouldn't make that suggestion.......

I believe OP wanted suggestions NOT deciscions made for him

You could be right BUT for me, I'll leave that decision up to the OP....ie more expensive ingredients more expensive the snack.whistling.gif

Edited by beachproperty
  • Like 1

guacamole dip with chips

If you knew what the price of a single avocado pear costs here, you wouldn't make that suggestion.......

I believe OP wanted suggestions NOT deciscions made for him

You could be right BUT for me, I'll leave that decision up to the OP....ie more expensive ingredients more expensive the snack.whistling.gif

LMFAO....you really don't know do you? ;)

Edited by smokie36
  • Like 1

Serious. Is there any food operation that makes money on 8 part time eaters a day..................... One would think the best one could do is to limit losses.

Or could this kind of thinking is why mr S is only operating 4 room hostel?

Mr S is running a 4 room hotel /motel because he likes to get married (and divorced)

But to be fair to Mr S it seems he's earning enough to live ok.. good on him!

Serious. Is there any food operation that makes money on 8 part time eaters a day..................... One would think the best one could do is to limit losses.

Mr S is running a 4 room hotel /motel because he likes to get married (and divorced)

You got a point. What a come-down from running Phuket Resorts to a 4 roomer with one thai employee.

You got a point. What a come-down from running Phuket Resorts to a 4 roomer with one thai employee.

Maybe. But if he's happy. Then all is good!

Rice cooker and every kind of sauce you can get in a bottle

plus some veggies , ....

or every weird type of Instant noodles you can find , I think there is a blog on instant noodles.

keep it simple ,

Add Hot water or microwave is all the cooking they might want to do.....

and make it free , no reason to worry about 30 baht of food if they are happy and tell friends to visit.......

I thought Simon operated Resorts- not 4 room hostel....................hahahaha.

Going off-topic for a sec:

This is the r4th little guest-house that I've built and the 6th that I've owned. The others have typically 10 guest-rooms.

Is it better to operate a 20-room hotel with high overheads and with 50% occupancy rate, or a 10-room hotel with low bills//staffing needs and with 100% occupancy rate?

I have permission to build further rooms at my B&B, but earning $4,000 per month from the 4 rooms is quite adequate for my single needs.

Back on-topic:

I visited macro to check out what products are freezable or long-shelf-life etc. Came away with frozen onion rings to fry with my French fries and hash browns, then guacamole and salsa sauce dip to go with chilli or sour cream crisps and dry Kaffir lime leaves, as finger food.

I might also offer those cheap, dried banana bits that 7/11 sells for 20 baht/big bag. Tasty with a suitable sauce.

You net is $4,000 a month from 4 rooms? I read earlier that was your gross. Oh well- whats the difference......hahahaha. That isnt bad.

I know girls who run beauty salons who think a sale of 300 baht is all profit. And then wonder why her business go broke.

Build more rooms-forget the snacks. One thing thai lacks is hotel rooms. Do Chinese choose rooms based on snacks?

Edited by Rajhulmaheesh

Build more rooms-forget the snacks

More rooms ==> more customers to look after, which means more staff onsite, which means less privacy for me. No thanks. I prefer to increase the revenue from the existing number of guests, not increase that number of guests.

• Like 1

...may i suggest,clean,fresh Hoi...

That has been on the menu for years, a best seller smile.png

But Google Translate seems to convert it to 'crab meat' in Mandarin. This seems to confuse my male, Chinese guests, so I often have to resort to mime.

Edited by simon43

Simon,i have not read the whole thread,sorry i have been working hard,but for your gentlemen guests,or indeed some ladies,may i suggest,clean,fresh Hoi, i am sure you know what i mean,oh look out here comes Yeah Siam to ruin the party.

Is there anyone in Thailand that hasn't heard that joke?

Must be quoted at least twice a day here on TV.

No marks for originality.

So after all these great ideas you go for pre-made onion rings and dips for crisps. Sigh.

Pre-made == exactly what I'm after

Dips = easy to use and store, tasty, good overall presentation in dip dishes.

French fries == always popular, easy to store and prepare etc

This is not The Hilton - I need, quick-to-prepare, easy-to-store, pleasing-to-the-eye, good-roi snacks. Think of them as 'spur-of-the-moment' guest purchases after seeing some well-presented menu photos.

After many years, Simon, you're still here, so, you must be doing something right.

I calculated that my small hotels have earned me and my ex's several million dollars over the past 10 years or so, so I must be on the right track :)

I need to stop now because I have used up my quota of hyphens...

Edited by simon43

Pre-made == exactly what I'm after

Dips = easy to use and store, tasty, good overall presentation in dip dishes.

French fries == always popular, easy to store and prepare etc

This is not The Hilton - I need, quick-to-prepare, easy-to-store, pleasing-to-the-eye, good-roi snacks. Think of them as 'spur-of-the-moment' guest purchases after seeing some well-presented menu photos.

You would certainly know the market better than I.

Edited by notmyself

Glad you made millions off little hotels. But you should have been creating wealth along the way. All you really had was is a decent job.

You come across as a bit jealous!

cut the guy some slack, he has a business here in Thailand that earns enough for him to live OK. And that is difficult enough without others slagging off about his achievements. Simon, personally I would keep things as simple as possible. Just a small snack shop.