Yamaha Exciter 150 (aka Spark, Sniper, Jupiter)

ttakata

Yamaha-Exciter-150-FI-2015.jpg

Instead of hiding in the R3 thread this bike deserves a thread of its own.

I wonder if taxi bike lovers of the old Honda Sonic will switch to this bike or continue on with automatics?

Being a fan of super small bikes; I am excited to learn this bike is coming here and watched a lot of Vietnamese videos since it is made and sold there already.

I see many pluses to this Exciter 150 over the old Sonic 125 and current Raider 150:

1kg lighter than the last Spark 135.

Fuel injection eliminates starting hassles found with some carb'ed bikes.

The 120 size rear tire is huge compared to the Raider/Sonic's 80 size tire.

Water cooled (Raider is oil cooled)

SOHC gives the bike more torque so it accelerates quicker than the competition (I recall Papa Al's Spark135 can outrun a Raider150).

Air intake is high under the seat so can ride through high flood waters.

Many more Yamaha service centers than Suzuki in Thailand.

There are a few features to consider.

Longer 1290mm wheelbase is not as nimble in stopped traffic but a plus at high speed (Raider is 1220mm).

5 speed transmission is not as fun but for such a small bike it probably doesn't matter in the real world to have a 6th speed like the Raider.

Heavier spec of 115kg than the Raider's 106kg.

670mm width is narrower than most small scooters but Raider is a very slim 652mm.

No kickstarter, (has electric start only) but you can roll start a manual bike in a pinch.

Specs of these comparable bikes.

http://100milesperhour.blogspot.com/2015/01/latest-price-and-specifications-yamaha.html

http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/suzuki_raider_r_150_2014.php

http://www.jrmotor.com/sonic125.html (this bike was discontinued years ago)

To any new comers to underbone bikes; these bikes are not practical transportation since they can't store anything more than a candybar but in return you get the speed of a chain drive.

If looks don't matter you can get a topbox for storage.

I hope this bike sells well so Honda puts out a Sonic 150 and Suzuki updates the Raider with fuel injection.

Sure these aren't big bike fast but I'm sure these bikes would be the fastest way to get across BKK and for the cost of a decent computer or bicycle that's a pretty good deal.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oops. I don't think the Sonic 125 is available in Thailand, just the RP

How's it compare to the CBR150? I'll take a look at the links above as well.

I was thinking of getting a Honda Wave 125X once I stay in Chiang Mai for good.

The specs looks good as does the bike.

A nice little bike for people doing mixed riding and they need the speed sometimes.

Not for me, prefer auto scooter with lots of under seat storage for down town Pattaya riding and no chain to worry about in the rainy season.

Thanks for starting this thread.

Yam never sold a lot of the 135Sparks here despite their good performance.

The Exciter with better tire sizing, increased displacement and one more gear may pique more interest, we'll see.

Going to 2-valves from 4... to lower the power band?

From the vid it looks like top end is ~135 indicated, same as before.

Sounds a bit scary, but the VN rider does it in flip flops, 5 5 .

One drawback of Sparky that few realize is the smallish max load recommended by manufacturer:

something like 235 lbs, (107kg)...limiting for 2-up operation.

Curious to see this speck on the 150.

Is the Exciter to be offered here?

Variety is the spice of life.

(that's what the judge is gonna tell my wife.)

a great bike from yamaha. one of the best they released recently after mt 07 and new yamaha r1.

i have just thrown around 7000 thb to my honda wave and changed most of the running parts so if i knew this bike is coming, i might not renovate my wave and trade it with this new Yamaha exciter 150.

stil, i am thinking to replace my honda wave with this now.

bigger tires, all disc brakes, 5 speed with a clutch, a better chassis, powerful enough engine, much more room for rider and pillion and for storage. looks comfy for long trips too. not like raider. a farang looks like a teddy bear on a raider and raider is not superb for long trips. but raider has a better engine with dohc and 4 valves with 6 gear tranny.

overall, it looks a lot dynamic.

anyone knows the exact price now. someone said 70 k but any updates?

I like it. Extra power, front and rear disk brakes, and a clutch. Pretty good looking too.

Could this become the new dek wan/ motorcycle taxi bike? biggrin.png

Only thing I don't really like is the front end, it's a little ugly from head on. Also, the name is pretty cheesy.

In terms of performance and handling?

Not a chance.

In terms of making the missus (or mister) happy?

Probably for in city riding...think popping down to 7.

a 150 cc 115 kg bike can do highway rides too. r 156 needs to haul a lot more kgs - nearly 20 percent more - with this nearly the same sohc engine.

so it cna go as good as a r 15 or cbr 150 in a straight line but of not around the curves.

At 1:00 is goes into how this engine is from the Vixion/FZ150. It is not a bored out Spark 135 engine.

So I think it is the same engine as the R15.

For traffic and a more comfortable riding position I would pick the Exciter.

Any track or open road would be better handled by the R15, but if you are thinking about that kind of riding you should just jump into the R3.

It will be nice if it comes with the kickstarter; who hasn't had a dead battery in LOS?

I also think this bike's front looks a bit off.

The headlight, instrument cluster, and scooter style handlebar look very practical/boring.

Everything below the handlebars looks pretty cool though.

The rear fender just unbolts too if you want to be a jerk during rainy season.

Yamaha-Exciter150-11.jpg

Yamaha needs to streamline their model naming.

This thing is known as so many names(Exciter Jupiter MX Sniper Spark King T150 LC150) it makes researching annoying.

In terms of performance and handling?

Not a chance.

In terms of making the missus (or mister) happy?

Probably for in city riding...think popping down to 7.

a 150 cc 115 kg bike can do highway rides too. r 156 needs to haul a lot more kgs - nearly 20 percent more - with this nearly the same sohc engine.

so it cna go as good as a r 15 or cbr 150 in a straight line but of not around the curves.

I don't know the power/weight, but sure a SOHC engine in an underbone will not perform as well as a DOHC in a proper frame especially at higher engine speeds.

Thus my comments which you mostly agreed with after being contrary.

**edit**

stupid autocorrect changed from underbone to undergone...

I was on an open highway coming into Uttaradit today, lolygagin' along at 110.

A Spark went by and I followed him quite a way @ 130+.

Sitting up straight.

That is always funny to me when those scooter do that. So I position myself with my left hand on my hip, go by them and just as I pass make sure I get a clutch free shift in.

The other thing that annoys me is when they come in with their super loud exhausts constant revving up their engines. But usually a good rev on my end shuts down that.

I don't think you can class a 150cc underbone with the 150cc sportbikes.

The sportbikes are pricier, taller, and heavier so they will feel more cumbersome in slow traffic and slower to accelerate, but they will be easier to ride fast on open roads.

I think all the 150cc sportbikes are a waste of time to a Farang; just too heavy for a 150cc to make a fun ride of.

If you want a taller, faster, and/or sportier bike I think you'd be better off jumping into a used CBR-Ninja-R-Z 250/300 since you can grow into the extra power.

Or stick to the underbone and accept it might be less comfortable on longer rides.

The Wave is very reliable but since it was designed as a rugged bike ~20 years ago it feels like a truck or farm tractor to ride and shift.

I'm sure a Wave could survive use in a war, but all Japanese bikes are pretty reliable.

I recall the Spark 135 felt more refined to ride and I'm sure this successor will be more so.

If you are in CM I found a place that rents many potential bikes including the Raider.

http://www.bikkychiangmai.com/store/

I might visit just to rent a Raider and VanVan for fun.

If anyone knows a guy or place I can test a Raider please let me know.

I hate to buy it and then hate it.

Or if I hate the Raider then this Exciter might become my next bike.

I don't think you can class a 150cc underbone with the 150cc sportbikes.

The sportbikes are pricier, taller, and heavier so they will feel more cumbersome in slow traffic and slower to accelerate, but they will be easier to ride fast on open roads.

I think all the 150cc sportbikes are a waste of time to a Farang; just too heavy for a 150cc to make a fun ride of.

If you want a taller, faster, and/or sportier bike I think you'd be better off jumping into a used CBR-Ninja-R-Z 250/300 since you can grow into the extra power.

Or stick to the underbone and accept it might be less comfortable on longer rides.

The Wave is very reliable but since it was designed as a rugged bike ~20 years ago it feels like a truck or farm tractor to ride and shift.

I'm sure a Wave could survive use in a war, but all Japanese bikes are pretty reliable.

I recall the Spark 135 felt more refined to ride and I'm sure this successor will be more so.

If you are in CM I found a place that rents many potential bikes including the Raider.

http://www.bikkychiangmai.com/store/

I might visit just to rent a Raider and VanVan for fun.

If anyone knows a guy or place I can test a Raider please let me know.

I hate to buy it and then hate it.

Or if I hate the Raider then this Exciter might become my next bike.

The old carb'd CBR150 didn't fall into that trap. Nice and lithe, it was essentially a powered bicycle. Riding it enough and it became an absolute blast. Tons of fun in the twisties.

I believe you; the old CBR150 is very small compared to the new CBR150 that was really designed for a 250/300cc engine.

1401221426-OldVsNewCB-o.jpg

Significant weight difference too.

difference-between-all-new-cbr-150r-cbr-

BTW, I am in Huai Khwang BKK if anyone knows a Raider I can try closer than Chiang Mai.

I believe you; the old CBR150 is very small compared to the new CBR150 that was really designed for a 250/300cc engine.

1401221426-OldVsNewCB-o.jpg

Significant weight difference too.

difference-between-all-new-cbr-150r-cbr-

BTW, I am in Huai Khwang BKK if anyone knows a Raider I can try closer than Chiang Mai.

AFAIK the frame is the same. The CB*250/300 use a different frame.

recently saw a new raider 2014 model at at second hand small cc motorbike shop close to my house.

blue color at 5000 km. like 6 months old.

looks brand new and blue color looks great.

they want 40 k thb. new one 66 k thb. maybe you can get one for 60 k thb if you go around and ask many places. but it is small albeit looks more sporty with dohc 150 cc engine and 6 speed transmission. but raider no fi and exciter has better components and sure it is a better allrounder.

So many choices...

I'll have to make my decision once I'm in CM for good. I'll probably see if I can rent some of these bikes and find the one that suits me best.

I'm not one to go for Style over Substance, but that R15 in Black looks sexy as hell.

I've always been a performance car guy, but did ride dirt bikes in my younger years.

I have a lot of learning and reading to do as I will be riding a 125cc-150cc once I'm in CM for good.

Thanks for the heads up; I see many great deals for the Raider on the Thai internet.

I think the Exciter will be a better overall bike for sure, but I was steering towards the Raider's small size since I want the extreme opposite of my very bulky and practical Tricity.

You can see in this video the Exciter is a more substantial looking bike.

I never had the balls to wheelie a motorcycle because the thought of crashing a bigbike seems a bad idea.

So maybe this would be a good bike for wheelie training.

Anyway, I found some internet speculation on a new Sonic which I hope comes out this year.

http://100milesperhour.blogspot.com/2015/02/honda-prepare-sonic-150cc.html

http://mtrclyinfo.blogspot.com/2014/12/honda-prepare-contender-of-yamaha.html

http://autonetmagz.net/new-suzuki-satria-fu150-killer-from-honda/1048/

If I would have to choose between the Raider and the Exiter I would choose the Raider, As some people wrote, the Exciter's front looks a bit weird,much more like a scooter.Likes it's wants to be a bit of both styles ( b.t.w is there specific name for this type of bikes Raider/Sonic/Dash) On a bike with clutch/gears the Scooter style steering wheel looks also strange.

These are good times in Thailand, more variety in the smaller class, After years of riding all those automatics maybe the Thai teenagers will realize it's not cool for a guy to ride a pink Fino :-)

post-143096-0-72894900-1423534967_thumb.post-143096-0-68013200-1423534965_thumb.

Archived