Yamaha Exciter 150 (aka Spark, Sniper, Jupiter)

ttakata

Thanks for the heads up; I see many great deals for the Raider on the Thai internet.

I think the Exciter will be a better overall bike for sure, but I was steering towards the Raider's small size since I want the extreme opposite of my very bulky and practical Tricity.

You can see in this video the Exciter is a more substantial looking bike.

I never had the balls to wheelie a motorcycle because the thought of crashing a bigbike seems a bad idea.

So maybe this would be a good bike for wheelie training.

Anyway, I found some internet speculation on a new Sonic which I hope comes out this year.

http://100milesperhour.blogspot.com/2015/02/honda-prepare-sonic-150cc.html

http://mtrclyinfo.blogspot.com/2014/12/honda-prepare-contender-of-yamaha.html

http://autonetmagz.net/new-suzuki-satria-fu150-killer-from-honda/1048/

a honda sonic150 should be a great bike if they put the dohc 150 cc engine from cbr150r.

Than it will be the most powerful of all and be the new king. hope they make it a bit meaty though as last one although a great bike, it was so thin and slim. and hope they throw bigger tires like exciter.

so maybe i wait a bit for the new Honda sonic 150 which i prefer.

and yamaha exciter is not bulky at all and should be fine at Bangkok traffic. Definitely it is smaller and thinner than tricity.

But i agree its cheesy name sucks plus its scooter style headlight is looking bad imo.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Yamaha Square in Kanchanaburi had a Red/Black one in stock last week for 62,500B. A better bike than the 135i Spark?and only 4,000B more than the old 135i. I liked the bigger better brakes and tyres(tires[emoji51]),seemed well made.

I was told it's basically the R15 engine,like the manual rather than the semi-auto box. I'm 6'1'' and over 100Kgs,so need more power to pull me around. But I only brought a 115i Spark in Dec for the Missus,do I need another stepthru or get a proper bike?,that is the question.

And I've had very good service from them,so I'm inclined towards another Yamaha.

A naked R3 or a duel sport would be nice,if they make them here?. Or a SR400 at a decent price!

Yamaha have put all the details up on their Thai website now, including brochures etc.

http://www.yamaha-motor.co.th/2014/product.php/type/title/title/Yamaha-Exciter-150-2015

I wonder how this bike compares with one of the old CBR150's? They can be bought fairly cheap these days.

I have a carb cbr150 & a carb spark135.

My guess the Exciter would beat ceeber @ 0 -->120kph.

Took a good look at this and the R3 the other day.

Both bikes look very well made and quite awesome for the money.

Yes I hope a naked R3 comes soon.

I sat on the Exciter and it has a very comfy scooter like posture.

The clutch felt super light but of course this was just in the showroom; no rides at the dealer.

Like every bike, I bet the seat will be too soft for heavier Farangs.

Still, for only 62-66k, I think it will be a lot of fun for the money.

You would have to get a topbox if you want any practical use out of it though.

I have the Raider 150, bought new last year. I like it, I had to have a bike to call my own. Storage is nil, barely enough room for chain tightening wrenches under seat. Need to have a custom rack like a mini sissy bar in back to strap traveling bag onto. Carb has been no problem so far. Last year cost 67,000 baht new.

Thumbs up for the raider, I just finished a ride from Chiang Mai to Rayong. Top speed achieved was 141 kph and very stable at this speed.

Big bikes in Thailand are a rip off, so its great to see the 150 class growing.

Thumbs up for the raider, I just finished a ride from Chiang Mai to Rayong. Top speed achieved was 141 kph and very stable at this speed.

Big bikes in Thailand are a rip off, so its great to see the 150 class growing.

Raiders are cool bikes, but mid sized bikes and big bikes are getting more affordable all the time. Yamaha, Honda, and Kawa all have very reasonably priced bikes in the 250-650 range so I can't really agree with your 'rip off' comment

The jump in price from 150cc bikes to 250cc bikes is pretty significant (for new bikes).

For example, one can buy a Raider 150 or an Exciter 150 for around 60,000 THB, whereas
the cheapest 250 is probably one of those Kawasaki 250SL's, which cost twice the money at
118,000 THB. And from there prices just increase exponentially.

There's probably a good reason for this, but I can definitely see why someone would feel that
a new 150 offers far more value, or bang for your buck, than a new 250+.

Comparing a small underbone like the Raider to a bigger bike is like comparing apples and hot dogs. I don't take issue with people wanting a cheap, fun, small bike to run around on (I've got a Wave 125 as my around town bike), but to call big bikes a "ripoff" is silly. It depends on the riding you're doing and what your own needs are. I might as well say that the Raider is a "ripoff" because I can get a Ryuka 110 at Big C for 30,000 baht. That's 73% of the displacement at half the price! So, logically, is it a better deal?

I'm not starting any "nonsense" here, I've in no way trashed the Raider or the Exciter (which is what the thread is actually about). But if somebody makes a blanket statement that "big bikes in Thailand are a ripoff" on a bikes in Thailand forum, why would I not respond to that? If he said "I don't need a big bike" or, "I personally don't want to spend the money on a big bike" that's one thing, but to call them a "ripoff" implies that some sort of price-gouging is going on.

When you buy a big bike, it's because you want a big bike. I like the new SR 400 but I can't pull the trigger at 265,000baht. I'll stick with the raider 150. It's not about not having the money, it's about feeling ripped off.

I have to agree that the SR is a ripoff laugh.png

Certain models can be ripoffs for sure, but definitely can't apply that term to all big bikes in general.

Anyway, getting too far off track here, not trying to derail the thread. Maybe better to start another thread about value, this thread is about the Exciter.

Has anybody seen one of these Exciters in the wild yet? Is it being sold already?

Took a good look at this and the R3 the other day.

Both bikes look very well made and quite awesome for the money.

Yes I hope a naked R3 comes soon.

I sat on the Exciter and it has a very comfy scooter like posture.

The clutch felt super light but of course this was just in the showroom; no rides at the dealer.

Like every bike, I bet the seat will be too soft for heavier Farangs.

Still, for only 62-66k, I think it will be a lot of fun for the money.

You would have to get a topbox if you want any practical use out of it though.

blink.png I thought heavier farangs liked soft seats.

I figure a heavy person sinks into a seat so much and hits the pan making a ride uncomfortable.

I am 88kg and the soft or small seats on 6 of my old bikes needed more foam before long rides were comfortable.

So yes a harder foam or more foam will keep a heavy butt suspended off the hard pan.

So has anyone decided to get this Exciter?

Please let us know how it is.

Looking for a bike for the following uses:

- A regular 20km commute.

- Around town shopping.

- Weekend day rides into the mountains.

- Multi-day trips around the North - eg. Chiang Mai - Nan - Phayao - Chiang Mai, usually no more than 200km in a day.

I've got a Tiger Boxer 250RS which was good for three of the four above, but is now in need of a new owner who wants a project (PM me if interested!). I've been doing the first three for the last 6 months on a Sonic with a top box, but its not really suitable for any multi day trips.

I've always liked the Spark 135, and now this has arrived. I had a good look at one at the big Yamaha shop in the centre of Chiang Mai yesterday and other than the ugly head on the front, I think its a really good bike. I'd need to stick a box on the back, but looks aren't that important for me and the box I have carries enough clothes for a few days.

I think that, for me, this bike is a winner. Only reservation - could it really comfortably do multi-day trips in the mountains?

I dont know about you guys but doing 130km per hour with a "push bike front fork" sounds silly to me.............

say whatever you want but the old sonic at least had a better front set up, even the nova/dash/tena had triple clamps

I am not an engineer but thought about the forks.

Taller forks allow taller springs which should give more supple suspension assuming linear springs are used.

I suppose the Exciter forks can be designed to be rigid and progressive rate springs could make them handle well too but who knows what Yamaha did.

Sure, I would prefer 2 triple clamps like a bigbike but looking at the stunt videos and vids of the old 135cc circuit racing makes me think its ok to have forks like the Exciter has.

I got my old Nouvo135 up to 118kmh once on a loooong straight flat road and the short wheelbase was my main concern.

So I was in the Yamaha dealership today and saw 2 demo bikes, R3 and a exciter 150, I took the 150 for a spin and loved it, so I bought it, traded in my 2 year old fino.

Some of the positives of the Exciter 150 are lots of torque, free reving motor, very light clutch, great engine sound, feels secure around the bends and overall a fun bike for the city.

Negatives would be no storage and small fuel tank.

I think Yamaha have a winner with this one.biggrin.png

So I was in the Yamaha dealership today and saw 2 demo bikes, R3 and a exciter 150, I took the 150 for a spin and loved it, so I bought it, traded in my 2 year old fino.

Some of the positives of the Exciter 150 are lots of torque, free reving motor, very light clutch, great engine sound, feels secure around the bends and overall a fun bike for the city.

Awesome, congratulations!

Is there no storage under the seat at all? Just a small compartment like you'd get on the Fino etc.? Not a big deal I guess, you can put some hooks on it or get a topbox.

Once you've ridden it a bit more give us a full report! thumbsup.gif

Sir:

Could you please check the owners manual and report what the max load [passengers + cargo] that Yam recommends?

Also what size front tire?

Thanks.

I am not an engineer but thought about the forks.

Taller forks allow taller springs which should give more supple suspension assuming linear springs are used.

I suppose the Exciter forks can be designed to be rigid and progressive rate springs could make them handle well too but who knows what Yamaha did.

Sure, I would prefer 2 triple clamps like a bigbike but looking at the stunt videos and vids of the old 135cc circuit racing makes me think its ok to have forks like the Exciter has.

I got my old Nouvo135 up to 118kmh once on a loooong straight flat road and the short wheelbase was my main concern.

I've run Spark135 @ 140+ [indicated] and didn't actually feel that scary.

I'm not recommending this.

Speed limit is 90.

Archived