Yamaha Exciter 150 (aka Spark, Sniper, Jupiter)

ttakata

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I figure a heavy person sinks into a seat so much and hits the pan making a ride uncomfortable.

I am 88kg and the soft or small seats on 6 of my old bikes needed more foam before long rides were comfortable.

So yes a harder foam or more foam will keep a heavy butt suspended off the hard pan.

So has anyone decided to get this Exciter?

Please let us know how it is.

I bought one the other day. Can't tell you too much about it as I've been sick as a dog ever since.

A mini review of my new Yamaha Exciter 150cc.

I've had this bike for a week now, but haven't used it too much due to unexpected illness, so far I have done about 160Kms, so this is first impressions at best.

I bought the bike from the Yamaha dealer on the Threppasit Road, Jomtien. I had previously used this shop to rebuild a couple of wheels on a Nouvo, which I destroyed when I hit a brick on the road. I asked them to call me when they got an Exciter so I could have a look at one, and true to their word they called within minutes of getting their first order. They are friendly, professional and reliable and I would recommend them to anyone.

The bike is a replacement for my Wave 125cc, which I have had for about 1 year and bought from a friend's GF. I also have a Kawasaki Versys, but dislike using this around town and I bought this bike purely for touring.

Anyway, the Yamaha appealed to me for the following reasons; size, gearbox, brakes and suspension. I wanted a fully manual small bike that would be nippy and reactive for city driving. I also wanted something a bit more rigid than an underbone design offers and I definitely wanted decent brakes, tyres and suspension.

Turning the ignition on, you get the whizzy system check thing including (I believe) a customisable welcome message. The engine sounds quiet but not particularly refined at tickover. It snicks smoothly into 1st gear without the usual horrible crunch and jolt that you get on bigger bikes. The clutch is extremely light, so sore wrists are definitely not going to be a problem with this bike. it pulls away from low revs without fuss and the power is smooth and predictable, if not exciting, up to about 7000RPM. After this, the engine note changes significantly and turns into a bit of a bark as it rises to the redline @ 10,000RPM. This is where most of the power seems to be and where the most fun is to be had, but for normal tootling around town the power below 7000RPM is perfectly adequate and far more civilised.

The profile of the bike is very slim and the handlebars are quite narrow, so filtering in endless traffic jams is a breeze as the bike can get through the smallest gaps that would stop a PCX in its tracks. The dual disk brakes work very well as you would expect on such a light bike and the suspension seems fine for my approx 93Kgs. I've had a passenger on it only once, about 45Kgs and that seemed fine also.

The bikes computer is worth a mention for its functionality. It has 2 trip meters, a dynamic and average fuel consumption display and an average speed display. Sadly, it does not have a clock. For a small bike, I think this level of functionality is pretty good and is certainly better than the Versys has.

The bike is easy and fun to ride, it feels comfortable, stable and predictable in my short acquaintance with it. Most of all, it is fun to ride and will appeal to riders who want something a bit more involved than a twist-n-go. The fuel tank is tiny and the best range you can expect from 100 bahts worth of fuel is about 160Kms.

There are a few Yamaha produced add-ons that are offered, including a rack. Considering the bike has practically zero under seat storage then this might be something to think about. Personally, I think the quickest way to completely spoil the looks of a bike is to fit a top-box and would rather use a backpack. Plus, looking at the space between the seat and the handlebars, it looks like this has possibilities for carrying stuff as it has a nice broad, flat base.

So, in summary, so far I am very pleased with the bike. I think the specification is amazing considering the price. If you're looking for something just a bit more exciting than a scoot, then this may be a good choice for you.

P.S. If anyone is looking for a Wave with upgraded US Racing Boy rims, spokes, bigger tyres and upgraded shocks. 10,000Kms, 35K baht please PM me.

Great review, I suspected it was a good bike based on the specs.

I think certain tank bags will fit an underbone and there seem to be some specifically for them but I can't say I have ever looked for such a bag in Thailand.

http://i73.servimg.com/u/f73/11/43/50/29/dsc_0310.jpg

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w301/buangayam/for%20sale/DSC002631.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah strange.

I have never seen any of these or the R3 on BKK roads yet.

If anyone knows a dealer in BKK that allows test rides please let us know.

I wonder if anyone will rent the Exciter in the future too.

I would love to rent one and the R3 for a day.

Yeah strange.

I have never seen any of these or the R3 on BKK roads yet.

If anyone knows a dealer in BKK that allows test rides please let us know.

I wonder if anyone will rent the Exciter in the future too.

I would love to rent one and the R3 for a day.

I've seen an R3 a couple times in Lat Krabang. Looks good. Have yet to see the Exciter, but I suspect we'll probably seeing quite a few in the future. Good specs for the price, so they should do pretty well. I'd probably get one as an around-town bike if my Wave wasn't still in such good shape.

What are people's opinions on the Exciter vs the Raider?

For me:

Looks - Raider wins, the Exciter's front end is ugly, though from the back it looks great, especially with the larger rear wheel.

Engine - Exciter wins with fuel injection. The fact Suzuki are still turning out a carb engine is a bit odd....

Performance - Raider 6 - speed gearbox vs Exciter's 5. Little difference in power, Yamaha has slightly more torque, the Raider is slightly lighter.

If I was to choose between these bikes (the Kawasaki Z250SL is the other option), which would you choose?

Yamaha%2BExciter%2B150%2BVS%2BSuzuki%2BS

I bought a Suzuki Raider myself but I already have a practical Tricity.

I wouldn't recommend the Raider to anyone looking for comfort or taller than 165cm.

I am 173cm and my legs are very scrunched up and my wrists hurt leaning over.

I will solve this by adding foam to the seat and taller Racing Boy Transformer handlebars, but it is a lot of work adding bar clamps and longer lines.

The Raider was designed for small 50kg Asian racers but the Exciter had a very nice scooter like posture.

Of your 3 choices I would get the Exciter if I rode in BKK and the Kawi on bigger roads.

I like my Raider but it's only purpose is to get through stopped traffic quicker than anything else.

What are people's opinions on the Exciter vs the Raider?

For me:

Looks - Raider wins, the Exciter's front end is ugly, though from the back it looks great, especially with the larger rear wheel.

Engine - Exciter wins with fuel injection. The fact Suzuki are still turning out a carb engine is a bit odd....

Performance - Raider 6 - speed gearbox vs Exciter's 5. Little difference in power, Yamaha has slightly more torque, the Raider is slightly lighter.

If I was to choose between these bikes (the Kawasaki Z250SL is the other option), which would you choose?

I think you've hit the nail on the head... Raider is better looking but that's probably about it. I would probably go with the Exciter because of the fuel injection.

Also I agree with ttaka about the comfort factor. Don't know how tall you are but the Exciter looks a bit comfier for bigger riders.

250SL is a good bike but has the same issue to consider: it's really not designed for the average farang-sized rider. Might not be too comfortable, especially if you need to go somewhere with a passenger. You might want to also consider the CB300F or spend a little more and get the Z300.

• 3 weeks later...
I've had this bike for a week now, but haven't used it too much due to unexpected illness, so far I have done about 160Kms, so this is first impressions at best.

The clutch is extremely light, so sore wrists are definitely not going to be a problem with this bike. it pulls away from low revs without fuss and the power is smooth and predictable, if not exciting, up to about 7000RPM. After this, the engine note changes significantly and turns into a bit of a bark as it rises to the redline @ 10,000RPM. This is where most of the power seems to be and where the most fun is to be had, but for normal tootling around town the power below 7000RPM is perfectly adequate and far more civilised.

Please let us know how the engine sounds when you get to 1000km. With that kind of severe run-in treatment, I suspect your engine will eventually sound somewhat like mine did.

I think the specification is amazing considering the price.

I would tend to agree, but I think Yamaha has achieved this by uncharacteristically cutting serious corners with quality control and production.

I susspect , and hope , the problem that Laisze had , was as a result of a "severe run-in treatment" on the brand new engine . Yamaha has had some of the best quality and value , bikes for years now , so this could be just a one-off . This bike is very well specked and priced , but if the standards have been lowered , as Honda has been doing so with the Honda labled Indian/Thai built products for years now , , it will be foolish .

I guess it is the successor to the Spark135 and is also known as the Sniper, Jupiter, MX King, and LC150 (codename?).

Seems silly, Yamaha should just have 1 name globally. Same BS with the Suzuki Raider/Belang/Satria/FU150 which makes looking for aftermarket parts annoying.

http://m.koran-sindo.com/read/941952/152/yamaha-jupiter-mx-150-adopsi-sistem-injeksi-1419477364

https://m.facebook.com/pages/Yamaha-sniper-mx-150-Fi-club-of-the-Philippines/1571544079747247

https://m.facebook.com/pages/Yamaha-LC150-Malaysia/1537788086477159

• 1 month later...

The clutch is extremely light, so sore wrists are definitely not going to be a problem with this bike. it pulls away from low revs without fuss and the power is smooth and predictable, if not exciting, up to about 7000RPM. After this, the engine note changes significantly and turns into a bit of a bark as it rises to the redline @ 10,000RPM. This is where most of the power seems to be and where the most fun is to be had, but for normal tootling around town the power below 7000RPM is perfectly adequate and far more civilised.

Please let us know how the engine sounds when you get to 1000km. With that kind of severe run-in treatment, I suspect your engine will eventually sound somewhat like mine did.

I would tend to agree, but I think Yamaha has achieved this by uncharacteristically cutting serious corners with quality control and production.

1600KM now. No issues with the bike at all.

I would recommend this bike to anyone who wants a little more fun than the average scoot provides.

I inspected this bike and like it but I was a bit let down when I didn't see clip-ons like the Raider & Sonic use.

And like all the scooters on the Thai market, it is a bit small for a foreigner.

I do like fat rear tire, chain drive, standard gears, rear disc brake and mono-shock.

Yamaha has a winner with this model.

I would recommend this bike to anyone who wants a little more fun than the average scoot provides.

Perhaps my Exciter turned out to be a unique lemon, but I've noticed enough low-quality items on this bike (such as the cheap indicator switch) to warrant caution.

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps my Exciter turned out to be a unique lemon, but I've noticed enough low-quality items on this bike (such as the cheap indicator switch) to warrant caution.

The only thing I've noticed is the clonky front suspension. Doesn't deal with Thai roads all that well sometimes. Will mention when it goes in for its next service.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I was on an open highway coming into Uttaradit today, lolygagin' along at 110.

A Spark went by and I followed him quite a way @ 130+.

Sitting up straight.

That is always funny to me when those scooter do that. So I position myself with my left hand on my hip, go by them and just as I pass make sure I get a clutch free shift in.

The other thing that annoys me is when they come in with their super loud exhausts constant revving up their engines. But usually a good rev on my end shuts down that.

one hand upshift bypass, a favourite, always great fun.

driving up to a revving gang at the stop-light on your front wheel normally cools them down.

• 1 month later...

My friend has a 2015 yamaha exciter 150 and he is quite a heavy bloke, anybody know if your can get some aftermarket front springs for this bike just to stiffen things up a bit. The front forks bottem out on him a lot. Any help will be appreciated

Steve

My friend has a 2015 yamaha exciter 150 and he is quite a heavy bloke, anybody know if your can get some aftermarket front springs for this bike just to stiffen things up a bit. The front forks bottem out on him a lot. Any help will be appreciated

Steve

Just change the front fork oil out for some - ATF - Automatic Transmission Fluid. Works a treat or you could spend loads more and get some "proper" 10 weight fork oil.

Archived