Returning to Thailand - Chiang Mai versus Pattaya?

Mcffee

I have been to Pattaya a few times.........did not like it much, maybe it would be more appealing if I was a lot younger, but now I'm 60 I am very happy with my life in Chiang Mai, and have been for the last 10 years.

Despite the smog I would not want to live anywhere else in Thailand. IMHO the people here are definatlely more friendly here than in other parts of Thailand, and there is a large community of expats here who don't spend their time chasing bar girls and drinking themselves under the table every night.

There are of course a few that want to do it, but I don't hang out with that crowd anymore, I don't drink anyway.

Chiang Mai all day for mesmile.png .

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about naklua from about march 1 until Sep 1 during the low season there which to me is a lot better than wall to wall Russians and Indians and all that comes with peak season in pattaya......then up north sep 1 until march 1.....that way you also miss the smoke and most of rainy season of Chiang Mai and enjoy some wonderful cooler weather?

Personally I think Naklua and Chiang Rai is more to my taste than CM but all depends on your own preferences?

Personally I'd be bored in Chiang Mai.

I love an ocean and island view, in Naklua. Also safer to drive motorbike on Naklua back soi's, park and take 10 baht Songtows, into town. Movies, pool, bowling, badminton, restaurants and massage everywhere.

But I like lots of entertainment. But when I don't, just read, watch TV, or hangout at condo swimming pool.

Chiang Mai. Pattaya is sleazy and nasty. Full of criminals and scams.

Both can be avoided if you have an ounce of common sense.

Yeah, it never ceases to amaze; we leave farangland because of too many farang-related hassles; then we come here and seek out a place with the most farangs.

If you like to go to bars and enjoy the company of the girls who work at these places then I would say Pattaya for sure. If you have a gf or wife ( for a man) or still have the know how to pick up none bar girls then I would say Chiang Mai. The big difference is the beach and bar girls, one has and one does not. I think crime is also higher in Pattaya.

So, you're telling us there are no ladies of negotiable virtue in Chiang Mai?

If you like to go to bars and enjoy the company of the girls who work at these places then I would say Pattaya for sure. If you have a gf or wife ( for a man) or still have the know how to pick up none bar girls then I would say Chiang Mai. The big difference is the beach and bar girls, one has and one does not. I think crime is also higher in Pattaya.

There are some, but that's not what the city is about and is not why most foreigners live there.

Pattaya is a brothel town, set up to serve long and short term sex tourists. It has improved over the past decade and there is more to it now...but at heart it is still a giant whore house and if you're not interested in that I can't imagine why you'd want to live there over someplace else in Thailand.

Yeah, it never ceases to amaze; we leave farangland because of too many farang-related hassles; then we come here and seek out a place with the most farangs.

Many of us seek out those of a similar cultural and language background.

I don't know about you, but to me, the color of their skin is of no importance.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

There are some, but that's not what the city is about and is not why most foreigners live there.

Pattaya is a brothel town, set up to serve long and short term sex tourists. It has improved over the past decade and there is more to it now...but at heart it is still a giant whore house and if you're not interested in that I can't imagine why you'd want to live there over someplace else in Thailand.

Great restaurants

Great infrastructure

Great and cheap public transport at least in main areas

Ocean breezes

Ocean

Big city feel

Proximity to BKK and Bangkok

International city ... go as Thai as you want ... not at all a viable option

etc.

I know many will accuse ... why move to Thailand if you don't wish to immerse yourself in Thai culture? Why not? To me, it's an affordable version of Miami Beach with uglier beaches and better Thai food.

Edited by Jingthing

Gotta love the way this has turned into bar girls and banging around.

Well it is the main reason attraction for living in Pattaya.

And if your gf used to hang in Pattaya, even more reason to move to CM, harder for her to work on the sly.

Working girls work. Why make it hard for them? Get real man.

For those with lung health issues, Chiang Mai is OUT.

For like a month out of the year. Perfect time to go visit Hua Hin, Ko Chang, Krabi etc.

Seriously?

One month?

I've heard many times at least two months.

Also who wants to move to a place long term where you need to leave town for long periods annually just to breathe decent air?

Also keep in mind residents of CM are more likely to develop respiratory diseases even if they didn't have them on arrival.

I'm living in Chiang Mai so I would advise you to go to live in Pattaya.....there are already to many Farangs and Chinese here.

Well, there are plenty of empty condos here, that's for sure!

Come on down ... we're really not picky here.

If it breaths and has a functioning ATM card that makes you top shelf.

Edited by Jingthing

So far no one has mentioned Bang Saray, 20 min drive south of Pattaya. Hmmm. Nice move, guys. Keep it quiet. smile.png

Had an acquaintance there but he disappeared into nowhere, lovely beach there I remember. Can't remember seeing any condominium buildings, I'm looking for a sea view condo near the beach buy/rent. What I like about Naklua is it's quiet alleys with enough green but only a 15mins ride from craziness. But Central Pattaya is like a strained pressure cooker with an unheimlich and unpersonal feel, it's just made for the come and go tourists.

Chiang Mai. Pattaya is sleazy and nasty. Full of criminals and scams.

What he said. Having lived in both places, Chiang Mai is a much better place to have a normal life. However, if you want to party hard, Pattaya is the place for you.

The people up north are also generally much, much nicer and better educated. Normal Thais living a normal life instead of inked up, drug addicted vultures and scam artists like you run into often in Pattaya. Chiang Mai has a vibe. A lot of talented musicians, lots of arts and crafts. A lot of people living a healthier life, organic farms and restaurants. Pattaya is the extreme city. So whatever sort of lifestyle you want, choose one and get on with it.

As it was already mentioned, Bang Saray is nice. You can go into Pattaya if you want to party or need to buy something you can only get form the city.

Many of us seek out those of a similar cultural and language background.

I don't know about you, but to me, the color of their skin is of no importance.

I understand the need for cultural affiliation, just don't understand fartangs who have no friends other than farangs.

Have never lived or been to Chiang Mai............iI found Chiang Rai to be nice , But Pattaya is for those that like the party life . You can get away from it thou ......

I have a friend who lives to the east of sukumvit rd ..................he calls his area the dark side ( due to the total lack of neon lights). Says he has all he needs there.

I live in Udon Thani and enjoy it , thou if a beach was a necessity I think that would go for Hua Hin area. Found that to be very nice during a short holiday there.

I quite like Samui ....away from the touristy Chaweng area- but it is a pain to get to and from when you do need to travel.

As everyone has said ------------------------------it depends what the OP REALLY seeks or needs to be happy.

Yes try both places for one month and then make up your mind. No need to come from the airport and then say okay this is my new home now. Travel around and get your own impressions.

We live in a nice moo baan in Naklua, have a kid, quiet life, haven't been on walking street for about a year.

Today I am riding my big bike out to baan saray for lunch, nice.

CM is not an option for us, as others mention bad air for 1-2 month every year, can't just move away with a kid in kinder garten.

the main difference between the two for me is 'distraction'.

if you have something going on, business, school, whatever, i would give preference to cm. it's quieter and you can get things done.

if your just floating around, retired or have automatic income pattaya would be an option. your going to get all kinds of distractions and drama there with the girls and social circle going out every night.

the smog in cm was not an issue for me when i was there.