Pork pate & pickled papaya baguette from Laos

recom273

I have perfected my crusty bread technique and I was thinking about trying to recreate those perfectly balanced baguettes from Laos in my kitchen.

Does anyone have any ideas on a good recipie for

1. pate - The recipies i found all contain ingredients that aren't readily available here. I'm sure its just a balance of liver, neck pork. I would be interested to hear some ideas.

2. the papaya pickle - I guessing its just white vinegar, salt and sugar - Papaya and carrot ( + cucumber ? ). The thing that makes the crunchy tart, pickle perfect is the way its cut, into those spaghetti like diameters. Does anyone know what tool they are cut with ?

• Like 1

The pickled vegetables is a pretty standard technique across much of SE Asia.

1 cup white vinegar

1 cup white sugar

2 tsp salt

Heat in a small saucepan until the sugar dissolves.

Take from heat.

Add chopped vegetables (about 3 cups). Stir and leave for at least 30 minutes, or overnight in the fridge.

Good vegetables for this are: carrot, cucumber, daikon.

I haven't encountered pickled papaya before, but Luke Nguyen (Vietnamese chef) has a recipe for it. It's basically as above, but takes a minimum of 2 days to mature. Are you sure it was papaya? It seems unlikely.

For the Lao pâté, there are two types. One is soft, like liver spread, the other is hard and rubbery served in slices. Both are used in their sandwiches. Which one do you want to emulate?

The pickled vegetables is a pretty standard technique across much of SE Asia.

1 cup white vinegar

1 cup white sugar

2 tsp salt

Heat in a small saucepan until the sugar dissolves.

Take from heat.

Add chopped vegetables (about 3 cups). Stir and leave for at least 30 minutes, or overnight in the fridge.

Good vegetables for this are: carrot, cucumber, daikon.

I haven't encountered pickled papaya before, but Luke Nguyen (Vietnamese chef) has a recipe for it. It's basically as above, but takes a minimum of 2 days to mature. Are you sure it was papaya? It seems unlikely.

For the Lao pâté, there are two types. One is soft, like liver spread, the other is hard and rubbery served in slices. Both are used in their sandwiches. Which one do you want to emulate?

Wow .. thanks .. I just presumed it was papaya, I just see them spoon the white vegetables on and presumed ( being Laos ) it was papaya.

So what do you think they use to grate the veg' .. For me, a good laos pickle is the quantity of each vegetable but also the texture.

I would be interested to hear of any recipe be it, the smooth or rough country style.

Thanks again ..

Much more likely to be daikon in my opinion.

The grater is suspect is what I've always called a Japanese mandoline, but Googling that comes up with something different. Anyway, it's the same device as is used in Japan to shred daikon. It has a handle and a rotating disk blade that the vegetable is pressed against. As the handle is turned out come long shreds of vegetable. Usually made from plastic. Perhaps someone else knows the correct name for it?

Have a look at this Vietnamese pâté recipe. It's probably very close to what you're looking for. http://www.vietnamese-recipes.com/vietnamese-recipes/appetizer/pork-pate-in-banana-leaf.php

Edited by AyG

Much more likely to be daikon in my opinion.

The grater is suspect is what I've always called a Japanese mandoline, but Googling that comes up with something different. Anyway, it's the same device as is used in Japan to shred daikon. It has a handle and a rotating disk blade that the vegetable is pressed against. As the handle is turned out come long shreds of vegetable. Usually made from plastic. Perhaps someone else knows the correct name for it?

Have a look at this Vietnamese pâté recipe. It's probably very close to what you're looking for. http://www.vietnamese-recipes.com/vietnamese-recipes/appetizer/pork-pate-in-banana-leaf.php

I think this is a recipe for "Moo Yor", the way it describes the way with the banana leaf .. the pate i have seen has been first sliced, looks like it was a terrine as the fat had formed on the top .. but this is a great start, I will continue to search Vietnamese cuisine for some clues.

Hmm ... I don't know about the mandolin, from my memory, I recall the pickles being a perfect circular profile, rather like spaghetti .. I was thinking it was like a hand grater.

Damn, I should have asked a seller last time i was there.

You are a great help.

The Japanese device I mentioned is apparently usually known as a "Turning Slicer". Google Images gives lots of hits.

Given the circular profile it may also have been something like a lemon zester - though it would be hard work to make large quantities, which is why I suspect commercially it would be some sort of labour-saving device.

How do you manage to make crusty bread?

Pretty please share the recipe as it si something I haven't been able to do yet.

Thank you 3 times.

Im just getting into bread making, so its a bit hit'n'miss but last weekend I drizzled water over the rolls, ( which made them shrink ) then I heated the a grill tray up underneath, put the rolls in, threw a cup of water on the pan, it all steamed up and I shut the door.

I think the trick is in the steam.

I didnt like the way I the rolls shrunk tho', but i have a feeling this is from the top drizzle rather than the rising steam.

Take a look here

Another way seems to use butter in the dough, but it gives you an English style heavy crust, rather than the baguette texture. check here

Edited by recom273

The Japanese device I mentioned is apparently usually known as a "Turning Slicer". Google Images gives lots of hits.

Given the circular profile it may also have been something like a lemon zester - though it would be hard work to make large quantities, which is why I suspect commercially it would be some sort of labour-saving device.

When you mentioned the vietnamese cooking, I did a search, there are loads of recipes ..

This looks pretty good and will be a welcome change to 7-11 bologna.

Im a little confused about the value of the brandy or cognac, this recipe says whisky - I have a bottle of chinese rice wine which is like a sherry, which should be a little more authentic, or do i need a bottle of regency.

ETS: The brandy or whatever disguises the smell of the livers - according to youtube.

Edited by recom273

When you mentioned the vietnamese cooking, I did a search, there are loads of recipes ..

This looks pretty good and will be a welcome change to 7-11 bologna.

Im a little confused about the value of the brandy or cognac, this recipe says whisky - I have a bottle of chinese rice wine which is like a sherry, which should be a little more authentic, or do i need a bottle of regency.

ETS: The brandy or whatever disguises the smell of the livers - according to youtube.

I rather doubt the recipe is particularly authentic, given that it's cooked in an oven, but it should taste fine. The fact that it contains alcohol is another flag, given that Buddhists shouldn't partake. (Of course, not all Vietnamese are Buddhist.)

Pretty much all recipes for French pâté include alcohol. I suspect it helps with the distribution of the fat, fat dissolving in alcohol, but not in water. The French wouldn't be so concerned about the smell of the livers. It also, of course, adds to the flavour.