Impeachment case against 269 former parliamentarians to NLA next week

Lite Beer

The 269 are mentioned in this New York Times article, and it points out the lopsided nature of things later into it.....

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/10/world/asia/thailand-junta-drowning-the-opposition-in-paperwork.html?smid=fb-share&_r=2

ah, yes, Mr "we all know elections are evil" Wicha...

Here is a short example of his perspective from your link...

Yet in a country where graft is endemic, Mr. Vicha’s caseload seems politically lopsided. No investigation for unusual wealth has been conducted into the chief of police, whose public disclosure documents showed total assets of $11 million, or his deputy, who claimed assets of $30 million.

Prayuth Chan-ocha, the leader of the coup and a career military officer, declared $4 million in assets, including the equivalent of $1.84 million in cash, five cars, two Patek Philippe watches, three Rolexes and jewelry worth more than $200,000. Mr. Vicha said there were no immediate plans to investigate.

When asked to list the cases he considers priorities, Mr. Vicha mentioned two, including the awarding of $220,000 in compensation to the families of protesters and bystanders killed during the 2010 military crackdown. Mr. Vicha said he was investigating whether proper procedures were followed in the disbursement of the compensation.

Real vindictive piece of work this guy....

Edited by tbthailand

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The 269 are mentioned in this New York Times article, and it points out the lopsided nature of things later into it.....

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/10/world/asia/thailand-junta-drowning-the-opposition-in-paperwork.html?smid=fb-share&_r=2

Read that earlier. Its a real shame its going this way , there was an opportunity to maybe bring some comprise for the future, but it appears all opposition is being eliminated.

NACC would proceed with criminal litigation against five former MPs who inserted the voting cards of their colleagues to cast votes on their behalf.

That was Democracy before.

Open your eyes and ears and learn, dear posters.

Is that what you are all yearning for again?

I'm better the way it is now.................you can shout about Democracy and elections, it is your prerogative after all.

But don't give me excuses that anybody is taking away your freedom of speech.

Election is the only way for a civil society to function.

Also you should study Thai history a little, for example, 1991 during the last "serious" coup, at first it looked just like this one, pacific, then people started to revolt in May 1992, the result was mass killing, bodies was set in Silom Rd. on display, over 400 people. Some were covered in gasoline and burned. My uncle died during that unrest fighting for democracy that goons like yourself keep insulting.

The good general in charge at that time, Suchinda, was then simply forgiven. I bet you would have liked him very much as well.

Luckily you are one lonely sad sorry voice among billions that believe in democracy.

Is there more to this story or am I missing something .I don't see the big deal with giving someone else "A colleague" you card to vote with . Yes its a bit tardy not being arsed to turn up and vote, but its not corrupt unless it was "Drop that in for me and I'll buy you a pint"

As they were all going to vote the way Thaksin ordered, why not have one PTP MP bring in all their cards and register their votes? Same thing on a larger scale, right?

For that matter, cut out the middlemen and have Thaksin skype in the new laws. Who needs a fake democracy anyway.

• Like 1

IMHO the PTP have a far more serious charge to answer - why are they accepting payment from a 3rd party (in this case a fugitive criminal) to vote to his order? Yes it is disguised by the rather transparent facade of a political party, but there is little doubt, or even pretense, that this is not happening.

In more mature democracies, this is illegal. Accepting payment to vote a certain way once is a serious offence, here doing so regularly seems acceptable. Even gifts above a certain value have to be declared, and I can (vaguely) recall serious consequences of failing to do so over a toy bear, and a TV set (?).

I urge any PTP/Thaksin supporters to tell me if in their country this is not the case. Then you can explain how selling your nation and vote is democratic.

your entire premise is faulty. That's obvious.

Do you not think that under the 2007 constitution with all the "independent" agencies and the jaundiced courts, which have already dissolved Thaksin's political parties and tossed out "his" PMs,, that if what you said were happening, if it were illegal in Thailand, and if it could in the slightest way be 'provable', that it would have happened long ago?

Of course it would have.

Actually I didn't claim that it was illegal in Thailand but in "more mature democracies" with a deeper understanding of corruption and how to counter it.

There is no shortage of proof, TYVM. So having disposed of legally wrong, is it morally wrong? Is that how democracy is supposed to work or how it does work in your country? Are the filthy rich allowed to buy their way into power by bribing enough bent politicians to join their party and vote to order?

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

NACC would proceed with criminal litigation against five former MPs who inserted the voting cards of their colleagues to cast votes on their behalf.

I'm better the way it is now.................you can shout about Democracy and elections, it is your prerogative after all.

Hmmm ...
Someone is spouting off like a beached whale here. Obviously he has no idea about what's going on in the real world or the current local situation here. May I suggest taking a look at your own countries political situation / mess before offering advice and comments here. And some advice .. Don't believe all that you hear or read,, examine the source before accepting it as reality. Draw a balanced opinion / conclusion based on information from multiple reliable and other origins. That way ... You won't make a fool of yourself again.

Yep, someone is spouting off like a whale - you.

Perhaps you'd like to try again with some constructive comment.

• Like 1

Also you should study Thai history a little, for example, 1991 during the last "serious" coup, at first it looked just like this one, pacific, then people started to revolt in May 1992, the result was mass killing, bodies was set in Silom Rd. on display, over 400 people. Some were covered in gasoline and burned. My uncle died during that unrest fighting for democracy that goons like yourself keep insulting.

The good general in charge at that time, Suchinda, was then simply forgiven. I bet you would have liked him very much as well.

Luckily you are one lonely sad sorry voice among billions that believe in democracy.

I was in Bangkok at that time, your summary is twisted, especially in trying to make the current situation a somewhat look a like.

You say "The good general in charge at that time, Suchinda". You must be joking, he was a nasty ruthless piece of work.

• Like 1

"Luckily you are one lonely sad sorry voice among billions that believe in democracy."

Your wrong.

Another new member of the create and twist to create as much negative negative negative as you can.

• Like 2

This reminds me of the goodies V baddies movies were the baddies nearly win (AKA the red terrorist) and then right at the end of the movie the goodies finally triumph.

Of course some will justify that the Joker, Darth Vader, The Grinch and the guys that tried to hurt the kid in "Home Alone" were the good guys, but at least most know better.

Terrorism is bad. A lack of terrorism is good.

Quite simple really...

I hope you get the country you deserve

I hope all the good Thai people (including my own kids and my own grandkids) ultimately get the country they deserve, with capable and honest people at the helm.

• Like 1

What Thais learn is that amending a coup-created constitution that passed a referendum by only 51% of eligible Thai voters is more criminal than abolishing the entire constitution. Yes, democracy in Thailand has certainly taken another step - into oblivion.

Elections are NOT the only way for a civil society to function.

FREE and FAIR elections perhaps - I still am not convinced that democracy is a particularly good form of governance for Thailand though as it leaves too much room for fraud and corruption in buying the vote or lying/making false promises in order to garner the vote - every Shinawatra government that has ever existed is a prime example of this and illustrates well why your statement is flawed.

Thailand is far better off with what we have now - as shown by every poll since the coup that asks whether the people are happy with what the 'junta' are doing, whereby they receive resounding approval ratings sometimes in the 90's%.

Until the PTP cheating is stopped then elections are meaningless and true democracy unachievable.

Edited by lucky11
  • Like 1

I have to laugh at the Junta cheerleaders...

let the purge begin!!

or, since it is well underway, just let it continue. wink.png

It's not a case of purging, but sorting out the mess that the PTP left and making those thieves and liars that perpetrated it accountable for their actions!!!

Do tell me, what is wrong with that? Do you suggest that they let criminals roam the streets or eat rice porridge in Hong Kong?

• Like 1

Hmmm ...

Someone is spouting off like a beached whale here. Obviously he has no idea about what's going on in the real world or the current local situation here. May I suggest taking a look at your own countries political situation / mess before offering advice and comments here. And some advice .. Don't believe all that you hear or read,, examine the source before accepting it as reality. Draw a balanced opinion / conclusion based on information from multiple reliable and other origins. That way ... You won't make a fool of yourself again.

Costas lives here the same as I do and he, like you and I, is entitled to offer an opinion on any matter that arises here providing it's kept within the confines of decency and the laws that are currently in place. Your description of him could maybe also directed toward you but has it? So you take it upon yourself to put someone down because they don't think like you and their opinion differs.

Do you control the forum, no, then he is able to state anything, within reason, or does he need your permission to do, no, so are you a new member of the intellectual police trying to make a name for yourself? The last time I looked we still have free speech in Thailand, although with certain constraints, and for you to come on here and give him a lesson on what he has to do prior to offering an opinion only highlights your arrogance.

• Like 2