I want some sleep!

Kenny202

Every morning about 4 am have had some dickhe@#d in a pickup a few doors down from us blaring 2000w of music through a 250w PA in that distorted way only a Thai can do. Loves the sound of his own voice too like a drunk uncle at a wedding won't get off the mic? The local temple is canvassing for people to go and help collect money everyday. The 5 same lonely old bats that wud only otherwise sit bored eating som tum all day roll up to go. Are they for real? I'm sure most of the local people can't be pleased about it but no one want make proprem.

• Like 1

Sorry it appears some have taken offence. After 10 days of it I am frazzd. The headman is actually a friend of mine. The music isn't at a temple it's in a house 3 doors up. Everyone is complaining about it but know one wants to say anything, a common occurrence here. The local pump broke a few weeks ago, no water for a week. No one said a word. It's the culture here I know. Don't like it leave ...I know.

Edited by Kenny202
  • Like 1

Kenny,

I understand you are sleep deprived.

Your posts are a bit rambling. Could you clarify. What is the connection to the temple? Is it making noise? If so, at what time? If the headman is being woken by loud music at 4 am, why has he done nothing?

You need to just use short clear sentences without missing things out. Also, use separate paragraphs for different subjects. It will help the reader understand.

Whatever you do, stay off the drink. It will not help.

Briggsy...what is it that you don't understand.

The music is from a car near his house. The connection to the temple is the "lonely old bats" congregating to go to the temple.

Kenny...if your wife and neighbours feel the same about the music then get your wife to call the police. It appears your friend the headman is not doing his job.

Edited by stevo2

Haha I don't drink. I assume it's the little local temple has organized this mobile dj guy to come every morning and rouse people from their sleep to go and help collect money in the larger Amphur 20 km away everyday. I don't understand why it needs to start at 4.00 am every morning when the pick up doesn't leave until 8.00am with the same few people that go everyday anyway. I don't know what more I can tell u. In any case I like the ear plug idea. I'll run with that

It is illegal unless they have a licence. Regardless of if they are connected to the temple. I must say that it does appear that briggsy was right to be confused. Your first post seemed to suggest the music was an ongoing problem. If is connected to the temple then it will likely last only a couple of weeks. Instead of resisting the culture why not change your routine a little so you are up and awake at that time. It is the best part of the day after all.

You not need to call 191 or talk with the village chief, all you need is a noise chanceling head phone!

And quite is around you head, no matter how deep the bass will go!

I use this over years now!

Another question , I friend have a heartbeat making device , and he told me he have more problems with the deep basses because the bass speaker using same freqency then his device , can this be true?post-114169-14235351386383_thumb.jpg

We all know going to the head man will result in nothing and bringing the police into a situation in this area is taboo. It isn't cultural it is simply inconsiderate to all not only cranky farang . Lady accross the road had her phone stolen by someone at a party the other day. She was drunk, had her phone in her top pocket and the woman who lives across the road (visiting from Bkk and has run debts up all over town) reached into her pocket and stole her phone. 4 reliable friends told her the next day they saw this woman take the phone. She came and asked me my advice yesterday. I told her to go and ask her for it back in a way where everyone saves face ie: "maybe you forgot you took care of it for me and it's in Ur jacket". Anyway...she said she didn't want make problem. I explained to her No one likes to make problems but it is she who's has created the problem stealing Ur phone. My wife told her she can't just continue to let her walk all over her (she owes her money and she's slighted her in several other ways). Anyway, that's the way it is. I love it here generally as I do the people for the most part. I'm off to buy some ear plugs :-)

You not need to call 191 or talk with the village chief, all you need is a noise chanceling head phone!

And quite is around you head, no matter how deep the bass will go!

I use this over years now!

Another question , I friend have a heartbeat making device , and he told me he have more problems with the deep basses because the bass speaker using same freqency then his device , can this be true?attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect Thailand1423535128.612630.jpg

I don't doubt the effectiveness of headphones such as these for shutting out noise, but I can't imagine anyone being able to sleep in bed with them on.

I'm happy to be a sound sleeper because I believe noise is just something that has to be accepted when living in Thailand.

When police hardly enforce traffic laws, I wonder how much enthusiasm they have for enforcing noise ordinances.

The old women go so they can dip into the temple collection & for the "all you can bag" free food!

Have you seen them in their element at a funeral?

There is always one idiot.

There is no free food at a temple. A temple fund raiser and a funeral are two different things. At a funeral it is expected for people to take food home.

Of all the Thai people I know, I don't know any who would steal from a temple.

• Like 1

Wondering what the Thai law is on such situations? Example in Spain any noise above ambient (stated as 49 decibels) after 10pm and 8am is prohibited and can result in heafty fines and jail time for persistent offenders. Anyone know the equivalent law in Thailand. oh and what to do when the useless village headman (my father in law!...) does nothing! zip! zero! (and on a number of issues not just noise!) any numbers to call..that speak English as my Thai is so-so!

Thanks in advance!

Our village headman is useless too. Those that play loud music are the ones that voted for him.

To play loud music is illegal at any time. If you are having a party like a wedding you must get a letter giving permission from the local authorities.

Just call 191. You remain anonymous. The centre contact the local police who call directly to the headman. If he doesn't act then call back and the police will turn up. The headman will then have issues with the police.

With gambling and illegal alcohol brewing going on in many villages the headman is unlikely to want the police around.

• Like 1

OK, I get it now. This is not music from the temple but music in association with a temple-related, temple-sanctioned money-raising activity. The mobile DJ is, therefore, by definition, covered in boon. Nothing will silence him probably. Make a joke out of being woken at 4 am and see if DJ Boon gets the hint. If not wait until the collection period ends for a while.

Wear earplugs.

Our village headman is useless too. Those that play loud music are the ones that voted for him.

To play loud music is illegal at any time. If you are having a party like a wedding you must get a letter giving permission from the local authorities.

Just call 191. You remain anonymous. The centre contact the local police who call directly to the headman. If he doesn't act then call back and the police will turn up. The headman will then have issues with the police.

With gambling and illegal alcohol brewing going on in many villages the headman is unlikely to want the police around.

Who is 191? who does it connect to? Just out of curiosity, How do you remove a headman or have a re-election?

Edited by Derek M

LFI ?

I think the effects are similar to HPI and equally irritating.

High Pitched Imbeciles (HPI) is what I am suffering at the moment.

My peaceful solitude at the computer is being broken, nay shattered, by the missus watching some group of excitable Thai females competing to see who can shatter a wine glass first. That, of course, is not what they should be doing - they should be discussing the latest film/Thai soap reviews. Why TF can't they just talk normally like a BBC Songs of Praise programme. NO! they have to test their vocal range to it's upper limits.

Never mind LFI, this is akin to a hot knitting needle being pushed into your ear drum. The fact that the missus is on the sofa sleeping through it all does nothing to help my condition. If I turn the TV off she will wake, bright as a button, and lambast me for switching off the programme she was watching. If I wake HER and ask her to turn off the TV, celibacy will be guaranteed for the rest of the week!

The fact that this is happening in Isaan is coincidental.

Before the "leave if you can't accept the local culture" brigade start up I would point out that even changing the missus is unlikely to avoid the HPI phenomenon occurring in Bangkok, Pattaya, Chiang Mai or even Ban Kruat.

• Like 2

During the elections a VERY LOUD loud speaker van was stood in front of our house, glasses were vibrating across the table. What do I do, my Thai is insufficient. I went to the van carrying a garden shear and sort of humorously indicated towards the loud speaker, performing a zany clicking motion, grinning inanely, the while. He moved. Same thing with a neighbour last year.

However, 4am? We get up with the rest of the village, just after the cockerels, get an hour's sleep at midday and go to bed. This is one of the few times that I would say, if you can't manage the situation, you are in the wrong place.

my Thai is insufficient.

The phrase you are looking for is, ngiap SEE, with the emphasis on the see.

If you want to speak like a local, arai wa, tam arai ai meung, ngiap see, ork bai.

During the elections a VERY LOUD loud speaker van was stood in front of our house, glasses were vibrating across the table. What do I do, my Thai is insufficient. I went to the van carrying a garden shear and sort of humorously indicated towards the loud speaker, performing a zany clicking motion, grinning inanely, the while. He moved. Same thing with a neighbour last year.

However, 4am? We get up with the rest of the village, just after the cockerels, get an hour's sleep at midday and go to bed. This is one of the few times that I would say, if you can't manage the situation, you are in the wrong place.

"We get up with the rest of the village, just after the cockerels, get an hour's sleep at midday and go to bed. This is one of the few times that I would say, if you can't manage the situation, you are in the wrong place."

No. If Khun Farang is inconvenienced then everyone else in the village must adjust to suit him.

It's apparently easier to Thai bash anonymously on a forum about "5 lonely old bats" and mock the way Thai people speak a foreign language (but no one want make proprem) then to go talk to the big bad man who makes noise every morning.

"I'm sure most of the local people can't be pleased about it "

" my views are that same by the way as my wife and neighbour's."

So to begin with you were sure (on the assumption everyone must think like you) that most local people felt the same as you and now you've quickly canvassed everyone else and you KNOW they do. Or else, given the flack you've received, you decided to make it sound like you regularly chat up everyone on the street and they elected you to be the spokesman.

All your neighbors think the old ladies are annoying, lonely old bats. Why does that not ring true?

If you're so chummy with all your neighbors, which must include the noisy guy three houses over, why not engage with them in finding a solution? Of course, if they think you're over-reacting it must be a Thai cultural thing that keeps them from putting the lonely old bats in a holding cell on a diet of plain rice & water. Maybe the noisy guy understands that he's irritating you and everyone else in the neighborhood gets a hoot out of you throwing a hissy fit.

Edited by Suradit69