Swedes in Jail in Thailand

webfact

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

That is one of the most pointless articles I have read.

not as pointless as the article yesterday about not getting receipts at the 7-11 so the person wont get their points....whatthe heck do people do with 7-11 points anyway. just give them to the workers. u cheapo

Most of the 20 Swedes in Jail are there for Visa overstays and none of the 20 Swedes in Jail are there for Visa issues.

What?

Is this Thai translated to Swedish translated to English?

or

Is this Swedish translated to Thai translated to English?

Lets get this cleared up and try again.

Edited by Jimbolai

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Why does the article feature a photo of Alcatraz? Are the Swedes detained there? alt=tongue.png>

Knowing Swedes are good swimmers makes them ineligible for Alcatraz. Geez, I thought everybody knows that.w00t.gif

The last 'Swede' I talked to in Bangkok was a dodgy Iranian with a Swedish passport. Been there over 20 years and spoke zero Swedish.

10% of all "Swedes" fits the same category.

They are currently importing over 100,000 "swedes" a year, in a country of around 10 million.

Yes you are right!! And included in that number of 10 millon, is already 20% foreigners claiming to be swedish....

disgusting really!! It is going downhill in a quit good speed...

Glegolo

I wonder if there are any Thais in Swedish jails, and if they have to take a dump with everyone watching.

Don't know how many Thais are in Swedish jails but the cells looks more classy:

http://freethoughtblogs.com/taslima/2013/12/04/sweden-is-closing-its-prisons-what-about-a-prisonless-world/

looks like an Aussie prison and the the 2 thais extradited to Aust for murder didn't want to go because they claimed Aussie prisons weren't of the high standard offered in Thailand.

Nothing like an Aussie prison. Where's the bed, desk, tv, xbox/playstation (yes I'm serious).

What country can beat Australia when it comes to prisons, long tradition there, after all most of the country's "immigrants" were convicts whistling.gif

10 millions yes, but the country is very big.

We not only have place for more people, we need more people here.

People is the power of a country.

Can you imagine, in this huge country we have about the same population as London.

10 millions yes, but the country is very big.

We not only have place for more people, we need more people here.

People is the power of a country.

Can you imagine, in this huge country we have about the same population as London.

You would think India, Pakistan, Indonesia, Bangladesh or Nigeria were alot more powerful then.

Resources, both natural and human are the power of a country. However, not all people are useful resources, as Sweden will eventually find out.

Edited by monkeycountry

I wonder if there are any Thais in Swedish jails, and if they have to take a dump with everyone watching.

OVERSTAY-GATE ... just the tip of the iceberg??

Clearly Helena Wahlström and Louise Bihl Frandsen have issues with each other, too much unproductive time on their hands and just possibly an unhealthy obsession with prisoners. Jeremy's focus on where prisoners have to poop is a little troubling too. Did you expect each cell to have an en suite powder room & spa, Jeremy?

Hard to believe that 200 swede are locked up all over the world ? UK have over 100,000 locked up all over the world .

Wow. That figure of 100k for UK seems really high.

Does that include the 85k in UK prisons? Even that figure will include non-UK nationals.

Have only seen articles indicating about a couple of thousand Brits in jails overseas. Would be interested in how you arrived at your 100k figure.

That is one of the most pointless articles I have read.

I beg to differ... but I understand your perplexity, because it's kind of hard to determine what the article is really about ! laugh.png

Nevertheless I'd like to point out how surprising it is when a very high official from a Western country makes a pretty nasty comment about a foreign country (in this case Thailand) without so much as bothering to gather information from their embassy in that country.

What are embassies for, then ? Given how much they cost, one would think that they should be put to use as much as possible, especially with regard to diplomatic issues.

Inevitably this also makes me wonder (and I'm sure I'm not the only here) exactly how informed Mr Kerry was when he made his inflammatory remarks about the coup here in Thailand, and how much he knows (and knew then) of the reality here, especially when he (along with many Western politicians and journalists) repeatedly refers to the former government as a 'democratically elected government'...

One would expect a democrat to have a more precise idea of what democracy actually means, and how it works. I find it hard to believe that the US embassy in Bangkok was not aware of the fact that the country was going down a very scary and dangerous path, and that no one in that 'democratically elected government' seemed able to do anything about it.

Those who were living here at the time experienced the very uneasy feeling that things were going from bad to worse every day and that civil war was indeed a possibility.

Kerry and many other Westerners seem incapable to hear of a military coup without immediately thinking of Pinochet and many other military men who seized power because they wanted power. Call me naive if you will but I do believe that the latest coup in this country was really about avoiding civil war and not about seizing power for the sake of power. What happens after that is another question. Once people are in power, they need to read Gandhi, because he said some remarkable things about the inherent danger of that situation.

So... what on earth did the US embassy convey to the US government at the time ? Could it be that they didn't know what was really going on ? Could it be that the US administration didn't ask them ? And if it's a 'yes' to both quetions, then again what are embassies for ? Are they just a useless (and very expensive) leftover from ancient times ? Are they merely a convenient way of 'thanking' politicians by giving them prestige without actual power ?

Edited by Yann55

Don't know how many Thais are in Swedish jails but the cells looks more classy:

http://freethoughtblogs.com/taslima/2013/12/04/sweden-is-closing-its-prisons-what-about-a-prisonless-world/

That is not a prison. In fact there is no prison in Uddevalla, Sweden. It's a closed facility for psychiatric treatment.

"Call me naive if you will but I do believe that the latest coup in this country was really about avoiding civil war and not about seizing power for the sake of power"

Naive.

My understanding is that the "old guard", i.e. the Rich and Powerful did not like Democracy and backed the Military to shut it down. Yes, I know Democracy was corrupt, but isn't almost everything corrupt here? When the majority of people support a political party and that party keeps getting overthrown by the elite, that's not Democracy.

Kerry's statements were congruent with reality, IMHO.

Edited by SiSePuede419