18 year old technician electrocuted at East Pattaya House

webfact

18 year old technician electrocuted at East Pattaya House

electric-1.jpg

PATTAYA: -- An 18 year old technician later died in Hospital after he came into contact with live power cables as he installed lighting in a second floor ceiling of a two-storey house in East Pattaya on Tuesday afternoon.

Medics rushed to the house situated inside the Chockchai Garden Home 4 Estate in Soi Kao Noi and attended to Khun Witsanu, who had been taken downstairs by work colleagues, where they awaited the arrival of the emergency services.

Full story: http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/170284/18-year-old-technician-electrocuted-at-east-pattaya-house/

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2015-02-11

i wonder who taught him the basic no.one rule? TURN OFF THE POWER.

POOR KID someone's lost a son who was trying to make a life for himself.

the past month or two i have seen some of the so called electrical work in our moo-ban.

the forman or whoever in charge should be??????????????????????????????

• Like 1

RIP.

A 220V belt from a lighting circuit shouldn't be life ending. Basic CPR training until the arrival of an ambulance with a defibrillator probably would have saved the lad. Moving him down stairs and waiting is not what should have happened.

• Like 2

At eighteen he wouldn't have even been qualified to carry out such work. A basic apprenticeship is 4 years before you are licenced and accredited.

What this has to do with a Thai 'electrician' I fail to see.

He was Thai and working as an electrician, that is what it has to do with thai electrician. I am saying he was probably an unqualified electrician.
  • Like 1

At eighteen he wouldn't have even been qualified to carry out such work. A basic apprenticeship is 4 years before you are licenced and accredited.

He was Thai and working as an electrician, that is what it has to do with thai electrician. I am saying he was probably an unqualified electrician.

I doubt theres any sought of apprenticeship as we know it in Thailand..

I doubt theres any sought of apprenticeship as we know it in Thailand..

Actually they do, well in chiangmai. My neighbour is a teacher at a trade school and a qualified electrician, he has even worked in the mines in Western Australia. He teaches young electricians both in school and takes them out on sites.

Unqualified to work where?

What qualifications in Thailand are required.

Had a guy fixing a faulty (main) circuit breaker in my house a couple weeks ago. He was very (very) gingerly trying to pull the live wires out of the breaker, tape the ends and then twist them out of the way so he could get to the next one. I asked him why he didn't just disconnect the main power at the pole where the meter is.

He said "no problem - I am careful".

Seriously, barefoot on a metal ladder with a pair of rubber-handled pliers in one hand and a roll of electrical tape in the other. I was ready to start dialing for an ambulance and thinking about first aid procedures (while standing a safe distance away). Crazy way to do things. Almost like these guys:

10968550_10152713471769220_49674105564461654334_10152713471799220_53994446124611

• Like 2

RIP YOUNG MAN

Interestingly, I asked my dad's wife the other day, if, as a government employee, she was taught CPR or a basic first aid course, I also asked her friend who is a teacher, (neither of them knew what a first aid course was, or the meaning of first aid) and they said no one is taught first aid,CPR, either at work, school or anywhere, unless you are working in the medical profession. Such a shame that this is not taught, as the young man could have been saved.

He was a bright spark!!!!

Joking at the tragic lost to anyone's life is sick.
Common sense tells you not to mess around with electricity,he was 18 years old,not 8!!!

Most 18 year old Thai kids have less common sense than most 8 year old European, Australian, North American or Japanese kids. It's the home life and education system. Shouldn't blame the kids.

• Like 1

RIP YOUNG MAN

Interestingly, I asked my dad's wife the other day, if, as a government employee, she was taught CPR or a basic first aid course, I also asked her friend who is a teacher, (neither of them knew what a first aid course was, or the meaning of first aid) and they said no one is taught first aid,CPR, either at work, school or anywhere, unless you are working in the medical profession. Such a shame that this is not taught, as the young man could have been saved.

Geez you won't get employed in Aust unless you have a current 1st aid cert.

Common sense tells you not to mess around with electricity,he was 18 years old,not 8!!!

In my Western upbriging I obtained "Common Sense" about electricity from my father who, although not a qualified electrician, was a qualified engineer who knew something about electrical safety, from the excellent physics lessons I recieved at my excellent state school and from the generally distributed knowledge that flows around so freely in technologically advanced modern thinking societies. My "Common Sense " upbringing did not include belief in garden spirits or faith in amulets. Where do you suppose this Thai kid was supposed to obtain his "Common Sense"?

Edited by Enoon

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

In my Western upbriging I obtained "Common Sense" about electricity from my father, who although not a qualified electrician, was an engineer who had learned something about electrical safety and from the excellent physics lessons I received at my excellent state school. Where do you suppose this Thai kid was supposed to obtain his "Common Sense".

Actually you learn from working in different countries and through working with safety professionals ,there is no common sense and it cannot be taken into account with safety regs

coffee1.gif Common sense is not so common anywhere, matewai2.gif Even in Utopia where you left from, right?

You're in Thailand now , I doubt any electrician here has been accredited by anyone.

You would be surprised how many deaths occur from electrocution in western countries - many more than you might realise.

A quick Google shows 2525 occupational (i.e. not in a domestic situation) people died between 1992 and 1999 in the USA.

More than 1 death every single day.

http://injuryprevention.bmj.com/content/8/4/306/T1.expansion.htm

I guess if they added in the home handyman deaths and electrocutions from faulty appliances the numbers would be much, much higher.

Edited by Mudcrab