Changing jobs with finish and start date overlap, what's the Visa/WP situation?

Hi,

I'm currently unsure what my best options are regarding my employment situation.

I currently have a non-B visa and work permit with school A due to expire on 12th of March.

School B would like me to start on 10th of March.

However they have told me that they cannot apply for a new non-B for me as the current one is tied to School A.

They have said I need to get a termination of contract letter from school A. This leaves me in a situation where I have no Visa and have to wait for School B to process the application for the new visa.

School B.

Is there a way I can only make one trip to Vientienne (I'm based in Chiang Mai) Laos and come back in on the new non-B visa.

School A is very slow processing any kind of paperwork (6 months to get a work permit), and I would run the risk of breach of contract as I don't have the time remaining to give them 30 days notice period.

From reading on TV and other sites I believe I can go to the labour office and cancel my work permit myself, then head to Immigration with a receipt of cancellation and ask them to cancel the current non-b visa attached to school A. If school B has the paperwork ready I can go to Vientienne the same day and apply for the new non-B visa and renter, without incurring and penalties/ 7 day extensions etc. Does this sound feasible?

Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks

Really! Sorry for sounding dumb but what's involved with that process? Does school B just provide me with work permit application paperwork (the two schools are in different provinces if that makes any difference), then I file for a visa extension as normal to match the new work permit? Also i'm on an extension of stay not a non-B, which I believe from further reading changes things.

Edited by bassinurface

Your new employer needs to file the work permit application and get a letter of approval for the application.

You will need a letter from your current employer stating the date you will no longer be working for them. On or shortly before that date you would apply for an extension showing the approval letter and documents from your new employer.

Then when your existing work permit is canceled your new work permit can be issued.

I was in a similar situation last year. I applied for a new work permit with documents from my new school while the old work permit was still valid for three weeks. I had no problem to get a new work permit and an extension of stay following the prior extension of stay. The schools were in different provinces just as yours are. The only difference was that my new contract started the day after my old contract expired. Talk to the new school to issue you a contract that starts the day after your old contract expires. You can still start work on the required day assuming you have holidays at that time. I would contact the new labor department and immigration to find out if they will process your application. Some may insist on canceling the old work permit and starting with a new non-B visa. Good luck. It worked for me.

I Had to take some students on an overseas trip and had to let my B visa lapse. Work permit is valid but authorities should have been notified of my resignation. So had enter with a tourist visa first while my govt college figures out what to do next. Get the governor's approval and then I can make the tourist to B visa transition while in country. Apparently you can now do this in all provinces according to Bangkok immigration. Call 1111. They are actually quite helpful but speak mainly Thai. You can even rate them after your call. But chiangmai immigration says can only be done in Bangkok

Had to get a sworn affidavit for academic transcript, closest to certifying correct by the US consulate here in Chiangmai. Now waiting for the contract, letter of approval by the governor and the school authorities before going going to Bangkok.

I will be extending my 60 day tourist visa another 30 days in case the documents don't make it. Once I get the B visa then the work permit, then the visas for the wife and kids.

Pretty long and drawn out.

I Had to take some students on an overseas trip and had to let my B visa lapse. Work permit is valid but authorities should have been notified of my resignation. So had enter with a tourist visa first while my govt college figures out what to do next. Get the governor's approval and then I can make the tourist to B visa transition while in country. Apparently you can now do this in all provinces according to Bangkok immigration. Call 1111. They are actually quite helpful but speak mainly Thai. You can even rate them after your call. But chiangmai immigration says can only be done in Bangkok

check thread below about locations that have the authority for converting a tourist visa to non-imm 'B'.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/772236-new-locations-for-obtaining-non-immigrant-visas-based-upon-working-and-etc/

Note in most cases doing that is a waste of time and money. Better go get a new visa in Laos or other nearby country.

Unfortunately despite the encouraging suggestions and experiences on here, having contacted both Chiang Mai Labour office and Immigration they have both declared that they will not process my application without a new Non-B from an outside country. Looks like another trip around the mulberry bush for me. saai.gif.pagespeed.ce.f25DL0fHCdW09GY8hG