Baker's yeast

SidJames

I can make bread and cakes, but where can I buy a bread oven from here in Pattaya?

Those semi-portable table-top ovens seem to work OK though you should look for one that has uniform heating around the whole area (possibly fan-assisted?).

People have reported baking success with those 1,000B glass fan cookers that are widely available here.

I use a combination microwave/convection oven and have no trouble with it. Most of the big names do one, with prices between 5,000-20,000B. It isnt quite as hot as a traditional oven but an extra 10-20% cooking time solves that.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want to buy a portable oven, I have seen them at Makro for 3-4000 baht. Not sure if they work well but for that price I might give it a try. Yeast you can buy in any supermarket here.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't understand OP. Yeast is available in mostly all supermarkets and special stores. Just say yeast at your best Thai and they will know what you mean as it is a loan word like sapaghetti.

Fresh yeast is looking for the holy greal.

Spanking myself now. Fresh yeast is available at the bakery mart at Nong Hoi.

Continuing this cooking vein, can anyone tell me where in Pattaya I can buy flour to make bread - both white bread and brown bread?

Food land has "White Swan" a local product at better prices than a lot of the import product and its OK. The Bread Flour comes in the White and Green pack with drawings of bread on it.

Works well in the bread maker.

The bottles of yeast can be a bit iffy - I have found that some of the ones on the shelf can be well past their expiry date. (Contrary to what the staff tried to tell me it is the USE-BY date - not the Manufacturing date - or some of the yeast has been manufactured NEXT year by their logic.)