Drought diminishes 30% of off-season Thai rice farming in the Central Region

webfact

Drought diminishes 30% of off-season rice farming in the Central Region

BANGKOK, 12 Feb 2015, (NNT) - The Thai Rice Exporters Association has disclosed that this year’s drought would likely diminish about 30% of the projected 5-6 million tons of off-season rice output in the Central Region during the 1st round of off-season farming. The issues may affect the nation’s plan to remain as the number-one rice exporter in the ASEAN Region and the world.

According to Honorary President of the Association, Shukiate Opaswong, if the drought intensifies in April, the output on the 2nd round would be even less, dropping to about 40-50% of the targeted 3-4 million tons. This year’s production of off-season rice is likely to be reduced by 1-2 million tons altogether.

The predicament would likely increase the demand for rice, leading to higher domestic rice prices. It also means that export would take a hit because of the higher price tag, making it difficult to achieve the targeted 10 million tons of rice exports this year.

If Thailand manages to export 10 tons of rice this year, it will maintain its number-one rice exporting nation status in the ASEAN region and the world for another year. Mr. Shukiate said that the private sector is working with the Ministry of Commerce in formulating strategies to maintain the country's market share. However, the setback remains to be the drought and fierce competition from other rice exporters.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-02-12 footer_n.gif

The farmers were advised by the Government not to grow

rice at this time ,as the threat of drought was too great,BUT

many farmers just went ahead anyway and planted,next you

can expect them to have their hands out looking for compensation,

for lost crops.

regards Worgeordie

• Like 1

The farmers were advised by the Government not to grow

rice at this time ,as the threat of drought was too great,BUT

many farmers just went ahead anyway and planted,next you

can expect them to have their hands out looking for compensation,

for lost crops.

regards Worgeordie

And many of such farmers have houses and cars in Bangkok.

I wonder why they bother planting rice at all, my neighbour got 6 Baht a kilo for Hom Mali rice last week, that is taking the piss,it cost him more to plant and harvest it. This will be the second year that i don't plant anything on 220 Rai of land, i will buy my rice at the supermarket for 34 Baht a kilo, strange the big price difference.

Rice farming for most in Thailand is a mugs game.

Size matters in all farming, rice especially. But here we have an economy that is based on subsistence level farmers, Enough land to provide rice for the family and a little left over to sell to the middle men.

It actually suited many in power for decades, since in kept the rural power in check. Now these darn people courtesy of TV, Internet etc aspire to more, so household debt as previously reported climbs, and create 'problems'

Water, farming, all of it needs a root and branch re organization. But I fear that it's s bound up with the social hierarchy that I will be long dead and burnt before that occurs