Thai govt bans sale of booze at bus terminals and roadsides

webfact

Govt. bans sale of booze at bus terminals and roadsides

BANGKOK, 13 February 2015 (NNT) -- The Department of Land Transport has imposed the ban of alcohol sale by the roadside and in bus terminals nationwide. Violators will face a fine of 10,000 baht or a six-month jail term.

According to Director general Theerapong Rawdprasert, the Office of the Prime Minister has recently promulgated the law banning alcohol sales in public places, which included areas along the roadside and pavements. Moreover, selling and drinking of alcohol beverages will be prohibited at all bus terminals.

The department has also stepped up its monitoring of drivers of public transport. They will from now on be subjected to random alcohol test periodically. Drivers behind the wheels who are found to have over 0 milligram percent of alcohol in their bodies will be taken off duty; they face a fine of up to 10000 baht and/or a three-month jail term.

The move is the Thai government's latest effort to cut the number of traffic accidents caused mainly by drivers under the influence.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-02-13 footer_n.gif

Would they also clarify this a bit more ,, this article seems to tell that just about every store, shop cannot sell alcohol !,

Since they are located on a road , not seen too many shops in the middle of a paddy

A perfectly clear OP, if they were referring to permanent shops that would have been stated. It is obvious that roadside sales of alcohol refers to vendors setting up stalls at the roadside to attract passing motorists.

Ban sales at roadside food stalls etc, good luck with that considering the amount nationwide.

Does this mean i can still sit there and drink beer bought from the neighbourhood 7-11 or mom and pop store ? Most of the small stores in my area has one of those very heavy stone tables outside.

I know it says roadside sales but these things can be so vague as it is then officials starting talking and contradict each other.

• Like 2

Problem: bus drivers cannot be trusted to remain sober.

Solution: ban the sale of a cold beer to passengers.

Problem: some passengers cannot be trusted to remain sober and be considerate to fellow passengers.

Solution: ban the sale of alcohol at bus stations.

• Like 1

Ban sales at roadside food stalls etc, good luck with that considering the amount nationwide.

Does this mean i can still sit there and drink beer bought from the neighbourhood 7-11 or mom and pop store ? Most of the small stores in my area has one of those very heavy stone tables outside.

I know it says roadside sales but these things can be so vague as it is then officials starting talking and contradict each other.

"Does this mean i can still sit there and drink beer bought from the neighbourhood 7-11 or mom and pop store ?"

"I know it says roadside sales..."

So, just being your usual obtuse self then in order to start another Thai bash.

Edited by Sviss Geez

The ban on roadside sales needs to be clarified.

If they are talking about the ad hoc bars that pop up at night, then I agree with the ban.

But if they are also talking about banning alcohol sales at the outdoor eateries, then maybe some rethinking is in order. Clarify the rules as to who/what is included and who/what is not. Perhaps even go so far as to issue licenses to those that are allowed, so as to curtail the RTP's propensity for making up the rules to suit their own agenda.

• Like 1

Really positive changes under this no nonsense Junta.

I do remember some justifying the terrorism (of course we know which side they support!) by comparing the deaths to that of traffic accidents in Thailand. If this new initiative is enforced this will curb the deaths on the roads which can only be a good thing.

Well done.

• Like 1

Just another vague article. About another law that may or may not ever be enforced. They stoped selling booze at all highway side 7/11's and other chains years ago....but all the mom n pop shops still sell. Same as the time frame laws regarding sales. As for roadside bars....this just gives the bib more leeway to do whatever they want.

Remember the various police agencies are run like franchises and although its a national police force its up to the local owner of each franchise to run his area any way he sees fit......hence the clarity and application of the law.

• Like 1

0 milligrams and your gone. harsh.

Not at all harsh when you consider that the drivers are responsible for the lives of their passengers. Not to mention the other vehicles also on the roads.

Nanny state terrorism, soon I,ll have to change from, over the limit and stoned to just stoned.

Not at all harsh when you consider that the drivers are responsible for the lives of their passengers. Not to mention the other vehicles also on the roads.

Nanny state terrorism, soon I,ll have to change from, over the limit and stoned to just stoned.

So you feel that bus (and other public transport?) drivers should be allowed to work while drunk? Or stoned?

So you feel that bus (and other public transport?) drivers should be allowed to work while drunk? Or stoned?

Im saying the Thailand I have survived living in and out of for the last 25 years is turning into a Nanny state, my goodness how did I ever survive.

Really positive changes under this no nonsense Junta.

I do remember some justifying the terrorism (of course we know which side they support!) by comparing the deaths to that of traffic accidents in Thailand. If this new initiative is enforced this will curb the deaths on the roads which can only be a good thing.

Well done.

I still don't see police vehicles patrolling the streets, pulling over reckless drivers, fining motorcyclists without helmets, riding the wrong way etc etc etc etc.

Just how many accidents do you think will be prevented by this latest "measure" as opposed to what I suggest?