Cluttering of thai streets with pushcarts, small stalls etc

Howitzer

It does seem that developing countries all see the need to clutter up their streets with people selling food, clothing and all manner of items which you don't really see in western nations.

Well i suppose it's easy to set up such a stall. You probably don't need to pay rent or any rental at all for taking up space on the sidewalk unlike opening a shop in a brick and mortar building perhaps pay off some cops or local gangs so there isn't much capital needed to start up such a business.

I am just curious why do these developing nations adopt such a policy of road side stalls which make walking on the streets difficult.

Because the cops who should be enforcing the laws against it, are taking money to allow it.

almost every street corner on bkk should have some type of road side stall mostly ones selling food and if it happens in bkk it definitely happens all over thailand. I don't think it's against the law to set up some type of stall on the road if not it wouldn't be so widespread.

They've probably been doing it since the first road was constructed in Thailand. Doesn't bother me a bit - except for the ever present group of 3, 4, 5 fat tourists stopped to look at every piece of merchandise in the stall and completely blocking foot traffic.

• Like 1

Because the cops who should be enforcing the laws against it, are taking money to allow it.

almost every street corner on bkk should have some type of road side stall mostly ones selling food and if it happens in bkk it definitely happens all over thailand. I don't think it's against the law to set up some type of stall on the road if not it wouldn't be so widespread.

you mean like prostitution?

• Like 2

Its called "freedom" and not just another excuse to extract money and tell you how to live your life, as they do in the "nanny" countries.

In essence, the few remaining Quality-Tourists have to walk on the main road in heavy traffic to enable the "merchants" to conduct their business to peddle inferior quality products to unsuspecting tourists by occupying public spaces like sidewalks???

Having been overrun by a car on a main street in Thailand (no sidewalks available), you may find yourself back in your "NANNY-STATE" where they will bring you back to life. Upon leaving any Hospital, you will at first discover that a sidewalk is a sidewalk and is quite a safe place to walk. (A typical NANNY STATE).

The only thing more dangerous, except walking on a main road in Thailand for the average Farang is to acquire too much "Thainess".

Nevermind, if "Thainess" failes, we can always go back to the "NANNY-STATES". right?

Cheers.

• Like 2

Living out in the sticks, I drive through a village every week day that has two wheel chair users. We have one in our village also. They can get around from house to house, chat and get in the way, no problem. Bangkok is no place for someone that comes out of hospital in a wheel chair.

The road in front of my granddaughter's school has a policeman on duty every morning, plus a school employee or two. Their main job seems to be to supervise where minibuses can stop (generally on the pedestrian crossing). However to get to that crossing I have to circumvent pavements that are deliberately blocked by food sellers, parked and double parked cars and minibuses. Having got to the crossing I have to work out how to whether oncoming buses are going to stop or not, on top of the usual motorbike problem. I gave up sometime last year and just wander across the road like everyone else.

It gives the poor person who has no skills to be able to operate a simple business and make a living. Just goes to show you how many poor uneducated people there are. So it is accepted not only in Thai culture but other countries as well. Graft and payoffs come later.

those are just ignorant they seem to know the laws very well that they can't do it

Its called "freedom" and not just another excuse to extract money and tell you how to live your life, as they do in the "nanny" countries.

The problem with "freedom" is it gets abused by the "users" of society.

The West has the "so called" nanny state but here its the other extreme..................why is there never a halfway stage? here its the "give em an inch"

• Like 2

Living out in the sticks, I drive through a village every week day that has two wheel chair users. We have one in our village also. They can get around from house to house, chat and get in the way, no problem. Bangkok is no place for someone that comes out of hospital in a wheel chair.

The road in front of my granddaughter's school has a policeman on duty every morning, plus a school employee or two. Their main job seems to be to supervise where minibuses can stop (generally on the pedestrian crossing). However to get to that crossing I have to circumvent pavements that are deliberately blocked by food sellers, parked and double parked cars and minibuses. Having got to the crossing I have to work out how to whether oncoming buses are going to stop or not, on top of the usual motorbike problem. I gave up sometime last year and just wander across the road like everyone else.

Make sure you use the " I cant see you so you dont exist and wont hit me look" as you do thislaugh.png

This is Thailand. People set up stalls on the footpaths ! so what ! they are only trying to make a living/ feed family.

No point getting upset about blocking footpaths.

I use a wheelchair cannot get on the footpaths kerbs too high, no local authority in Thailand makes it easy to use footpaths.

They get too many kick backs from traders to change anything.

I came here specially to fall over all the food carts and watch the busses and concrete trucks do U-Turns (read 7 point turn) in places that would be challenging for a Honda Jazz to do it.

The mayhem is a major attraction. As is the lack of rules, the crazy rules, the lack of enforcement of any rules (crazy or not), the enforcement of crazy rules for brief periods for no logical reason, and the lack of virtually any health & hygiene standards.

C'mon guys, this is as close as you're going to get to living on the cultural edge unless you give leisure sailing along the Somalian coast a crack.

• Like 2

It does seem that developing countries all see the need to clutter up their streets with people selling food,

So you're saying places like New York and London are cluttered developing countries?

Many people, Thai and farang, like the food stalls and street markets. What is the attraction of empty sterile streets with a McDonald's or Starbucks every 100 metres?

There are as many as 20,000 street vendors in New York City — hot dog vendors, flower vendors, t-shirt vendors, street artists, fancy food trucks, and many others. They are small business people struggling to make ends meet.

http://streetvendor.org/

It's no secret there has been a recent surge in the London street-food scene. The number of vendors is growing. The standard of the food started high and is getting higher. There are more areas around London that are welcoming friendly food vans, trucks, and airstreams that serve everything from good ol' pork pies and scotch eggs to Korean comfort food. New markets are popping up around London with even more street-food vendors. It's easy to see that the capital is quickly becoming a street-food force to be reckoned with.

http://www.theguardian.com/travel/2012/apr/24/top-10-london-street-food-stalls

Edited by Suradit69