Leaving Thailand for good

maxme

To the people that have moved back to their home countries and appear to be happier there now good luck to you all.

Why do you feel the need to tell us of your momentous and life changing decision?

Are you also acknowledging that you made mistakes coming to live here and by continuing to live here for many years perpetuated that mistake?

Your version of happiness is clearly not shared by the majority of posters here.

So what if anything are you hoping to achieve by your posts?

And if you are now happily ensconced in your home countries why are you still posting on a Thailand forum?

Edited by tlcwaterfall

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope the novel is more interesting than your posts.

Not for me to decide.

But I can tell you this: it's not mean, nor spiteful, nor full of bitter people.

It does take a certain amount of hubris -- given that these days it is easy to self-publish without even the need to find a good editor let alone a publisher -- to think that one has something unique and interesting to say. Beyond that, all I can say is 'Good night, and good luck' (Edward R. Murrow -- now there was a writer who knew syntax and cadence)

US gentlemen here make me laugh with their IRS when they say it s not so expensive to pay tax in the USA. some pay several thousand dollars every year in tax consultation to minimise what they own to their irs. at the end, they pay even more.

by chance I don't have to file income tax as stated in the CONSTITUTION . tax is for suckers!

I prefer keep my money for a lawyer(and some ammo) in case they come to illegally audit me.

Edited by VIPinthailand

US gentlemen here make me laugh with their IRS when they say it s not so expensive to pay tax in the USA. some pay several thousand dollars every year in tax consultation to minimise what they own to their irs. at the end, they pay even more.

by chance I don't have to file income tax as stated in the CONSTITUTION . tax is for suckers!

I prefer keep my money for a lawyer(and some ammo) in case they come to illegally audit me.

Keep those comments coming - you make my day with your ridiculous spin and lack of knowledge on anything American related.

The only mention in the US Constitution related to income tax is the 16th Amendment which gave the US government the right to levy and collect income taxes.

But then I guess you could be one of those who believe that income taxes are illegal - most of them are either in jail or paying off hefty back taxes and additional fines and penalties, and the rest are on the run.

Not for me to decide.

But I can tell you this: it's not mean, nor spiteful, nor full of bitter people.

When I review your previous posts such as those that tastelessly joke about living in a non-existent town called Rhek Tum (rectum),

i always got a laugh from that one personally....

Post removed

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

9) You will not post inflammatory messages on the forum, or attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants, or trolling. Trolling can be defined as the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

I have not read 21 pages but the first and long post.

Yesterday I came to the country of my birth for the first time in 8 years. F..........ing cold!!! I am miserable. But then it was time for good bread, cold cuts etc. So I braved the cold and as it is a weekend only made it to a cheap supermarket. I paid 300 baht for some smoked trout filet, 2 large sour dough breads, 400 grams of Gouda cheese, 100 grams of fine lyonnaise (coarse), apple desert, smoke ham, and some fruit. In Thailand the cheese alone would have cost me the 300 baht.

I know that the comparison is unfair as these are all farang items mass produced here but mostly only imported to Thailand or produced by and for farangs within Thailand.

Still, I was surprised at the low bill since I had expected to pay much more. I am carrying my "own" coffee from a local producer with me. If I had bought good Arabica coffee here, I could have saved but then I like "my" coffee and "my" producer.

What is perhaps more important and motivated to post here was that the original "long" poster wrote how friendly the people are. I avoid most of my compatriots (expats) in Thailand and around the region as they are unbearable. They seem to hate locals and their daily talk is how bad things are, admittedly with some justification now and then.

Yesterday in the supermarket the staff was very friendly and this in a discounter place. I could not find a few items and they pointed me to the right spots with a smile. At the cashier again very polite and friendly. Hotel staff as well and so on. Bus drivers were helpful - now that is something I had not seen in 14 years in Thailand (very few exceptions on 3rd class buses in Isaan).

Something else I appreciate, I can walk on the sidewalks without watching every step for whole, a piece of metal sticking out, parked cars, sales stalls,motorbike driving along, etc. Very relaxing, air is also much cleaner.

Bottom line for me: I am surprised how I had adapted to ever increasing consumer prices in Thailand as I lacked the measure of European consumer prices. More importantly, the friendliness of people took me by surprise.

I will be back in a month and enjoy the warm climate, my favorite Thai food, and seeing some friends. This is all important to me. However, I noticed that the margins separating Thailand from say Europe or the US have shrunk tremendously. By now I favor the attitudes of Cambodians or Filipinos anytime over those in Thailand. This is sobering.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

If the IRS wants to do an audit of your finances, they can question the validity of anything anytime they want.

I've been audited fully three times, had good records, and one time actually got a refund for an error I caught preparing for the audit. (Yes you can. When they open up the return for an audit it can go both ways.) What I'm describing is completely legal.

meethinks you can only deduct the parts of your trip when you were working.

self-employment tax does not accept deductions and would wipe out any savings you gain using deductions on income.

I'd be traveling to take photographs for my website, and researching Thailand for blog articles. I'd be in Thailand for business purposes.

I don't understand the self employment tax part. I wouldn't have any self employment income to be taxed. I wouldn't have any self employment income for the first three years and there wouldn't be any taxes to pay.

I would be able to write off my business losses from my other income and reduce my income taxes paid.

Cheers

its important for people to understand that this is not a free trip. ideally, you could be saving 30% or whatever tax bracket you are in from whatever you deduct. typically you are given caps on expenses, only reimbursed a certain amout for meals etc.

this is very different then getting free airfare or hotel stays. you could save some money but its relatively little unless your spending a lot.

most people who love deductions dont do their own taxes.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

If the IRS wants to do an audit of your finances, they can question the validity of anything anytime they want.

I've been audited fully three times, had good records, and one time actually got a refund for an error I caught preparing for the audit. (Yes you can. When they open up the return for an audit it can go both ways.) What I'm describing is completely legal.

self-employment tax does not accept deductions and would wipe out any savings you gain using deductions on income.

I'd be traveling to take photographs for my website, and researching Thailand for blog articles. I'd be in Thailand for business purposes.

I don't understand the self employment tax part. I wouldn't have any self employment income to be taxed. I wouldn't have any self employment income for the first three years and there wouldn't be any taxes to pay.

I would be able to write off my business losses from my other income and reduce my income taxes paid.

Cheers

its important for people to understand that this is not a free trip. ideally, you could be saving 30% or whatever tax bracket you are in from whatever you deduct. typically you are given caps on expenses, only reimbursed a certain amout for meals etc.

this is very different then getting free airfare or hotel stays. you could save some money but its relatively little unless your spending a lot.

Cheers

Cheers

not a chance in hell id leave or go back. Ill be buried here. I cant imagine why anyone would want to return to over regulated totally controlled lives in west unless of course they dont have a real life and family here and are just here for sex and booze.

not a chance in hell id leave or go back. Ill be buried here. I cant imagine why anyone would want to return to over regulated totally controlled lives in west unless of course they dont have a real life and family here and are just here for sex and booze.

I've seen a lot of guys totally controlled by their Thai wives. They can't speak the language, can't interract with officialdom, can't order a meal unless the menu is in English.

Usually it's the older guys who can't be bothered to learn Thai. What a miserable controlled life they lead. As dependant as a baby.

Not for me to decide.

When I review your previous posts such as those that tastelessly joke about living in a non-existent town called Rhek Tum (rectum),

i always got a laugh from that one personally....

Well, Gecko, Rhek Thum does indeed exist, and the stories are all true.

To the people that have moved back to their home countries and appear to be happier there now good luck to you all.

Why do you feel the need to tell us of your momentous and life changing decision?

Are you also acknowledging that you made mistakes coming to live here and by continuing to live here for many years perpetuated that mistake?

Your version of happiness is clearly not shared by the majority of posters here.

So what if anything are you hoping to achieve by your posts?

And if you are now happily ensconced in your home countries why are you still posting on a Thailand forum?

I think you're missing a lot of good reasons.

If a guy had a Thai wife and a child he might feel it important to immerse his child in Western culture and English. The Thai child would already be fluent in Thai and could study reading and writing with mom or online. What a great thing to have dual nationality, a western education, be bilingual, and have so many options in life.

The wife would also benefit from learning western culture due to the normalcies developing in the child, and already in the spouse. Her English would improve too, giving her more options.

Why stay online? A guy has a Thai wife, a child, most certainly returns to Thailand for visits, and is in no way divorced from Thailand.

There's more, but that's enough.

Cheers

All true, NeverSure, all true.

And these same people come on TV to learn, and so continually better themselves, and also to hopefully better the lives of folks with less experience in Thailand.

But others come on TV to belittle and degrade anyone they don't agree with, providing nothing useful to anyone while doing so.

I understand why people go home. it s not for everybody to live in a different country. 99.9% of people stay and die where they are born. most people become homesick after a few weeks and need to reconnect with their roots. in my point of view, these people just go home to bond themselves with their childhood or their parents (even if they have passed long time ago), these people have still not matured enough to embrace the world.

I have seen that especially with US guys. some love so much their Nebraska Omaha.... unbelievable, the place is a hole, and guys prefer to be in the middle of nowhere than live in a paradise country like Thailand.

I never felt homesick . when I leave a place, I m happy to not come back any more. I look at the future and not at the past. one day I will maybe be pissed by Thailand and I will move somewhere else .

Edited by VIPinthailand

I understand why people go home. it s not for everybody to live in a different country. 99.9% of people stay and die where they are born. most people become homesick after a few weeks and need to reconnect with their roots. in my point of view, these people just go home to bond themselves with their childhood or their parents (even if they have passed long time ago), these people have still not matured enough to embrace the world.

I have seen that especially with US guys. some love so much their Nebraska Omaha.... unbelievable, the place is a hole, and guys prefer to be in the middle of nowhere than live in a paradise country like Thailand.

I never felt homesick . when I leave a place, I m happy to not come back any more. I look at the future and not at the past. one day I will maybe be pissed by Thailand and I will move somewhere else .

Wherever we choose to live, it is not for everyone. While you consider Omaha Nebraska to be a "hole," many would say the same about Thailand and your version of paradise.

The ability to move to another culture and adapt and enjoy, or the lack thereof does not indicate anything other than that people are different.

I would say that in reading your constant negativity and warped perspective about any and all things US, perhaps you are the one who lacks the world view necessary to adapt and excel in different cultures and "embrace the world."

We spend half our time in Thailand, and the other half in the U.S. and love both places. However, at some point we will probably tire of the long airplane rides and go to Arizona for our winters.

When that happens will look back at Thailand and our Thai family with fondness and longing.

We love Thailand, but it is just not where we wish to finish our days.

Edited by SpokaneAl

I've seen a lot of guys totally controlled by their Thai wives. They can't speak the language, can't interract with officialdom, can't order a meal unless the menu is in English.

Usually it's the older guys who can't be bothered to learn Thai. What a miserable controlled life they lead. As dependant as a baby.

Indeed. And many of these guy have burnt all bridges, don't fit in into their hometown and can't even pull a local lass. Yes, the West is over-regulated (or is that more civilised?) and not as 'free' as Thailand, but if these people think that being made to jump through the continual visa hoop or being searched by the police for no reason and living in a place under its army is not being controlled, then I don't know what is. If you have kids growing up here, I would seriously have a think about things, lest you end up scuttling their futures.

Not for good, unless I die prematurely. I plan to retire to Scotland where I can sit in the bar all day nipping into the bookies, having long conversations about the meaning of life and experiences.

Buying a little cottage in the country, walking up the mountains with a tent. Fishing etc.

Thailand is no place for an old man, unless they are delusional or haven't come to terms that sex is over-rated.

Not for good, unless I die prematurely. I plan to retire to Scotland where I can sit in the bar all day nipping into the bookies, having long conversations about the meaning of life and experiences.

Buying a little cottage in the country, walking up the mountains with a tent. Fishing etc.

Thailand is no place for an old man, unless they are delusional or haven't come to terms that sex is over-rated.

Well said.

Except for the overrated part.

I think that as we age, climate plays a bigger and bigger part as well. I come from the Pacific Northwest of the US, which is similar in many ways to Scotland.

Now, as the oppressive heat of the Thai hot season moves in, a cool spring with nice rains in an environment with lush forests sounds pretty nice.

I find myself wanting to avoid the extremes of both brutal winters and summers.

I think that as we age, climate plays a bigger and bigger part as well. I come from the Pacific Northwest of the US, which is similar in many ways to Scotland.

Now, as the oppressive heat of the Thai hot season moves in, a cool spring with nice rains in an environment with lush forests sounds pretty nice.

I find myself wanting to avoid the extremes of both brutal winters and summers.

I agree, ideally I'd like to spend from (April)Songkran to (Nov)Loi Grathong in Scotland. I like Autumn there and the best golf courses in the world are relatively cheap for OAPs.

Edited by Neeranam

When I leave a place, I'm happy to not come back any more. I guess that becomes the matter whether the persons you left behind are happy as well.

Edited by JLCrab

You obviously don't have a bone problem like me.........smile.png

use some phantasy trans! even with a bone problem what could be more enticing than walking up the mountains with a tent on your back enjoying a chilly rain and later wait patiently a few hours till you've caught your dinner? ah... the joy of gutting a trout and then prepare it over an open fire... once the rain stops cheesy.gif

All true, NeverSure, all true.

And these same people come on TV to learn, and so continually better themselves, and also to hopefully better the lives of folks with less experience in Thailand.

But others come on TV to belittle and degrade anyone they don't agree with, providing nothing useful to anyone while doing so.

hope the door kicks you in the arse on the way out, bye!

HeijoshinCool said, " . . .Absolutely no way I would consider wasting another precious day of life in LOS."

How many precious hours a day do you spend on this Thai forum? Seems to me, if you found it so bad here, you'd find something else to do other than re-visit Thailand in that wonderful new place.

You obviously don't have a bone problem like me.........smile.png

Is that bone or boner you have in mind?biggrin.png