Leaving Thailand for good

maxme

Boise, Idaho for $500 or less

Boise Idaho, heck even my American friends cant say anything good about the place.

Must rank up there alongside Gary Indiana, or Ferguson, they tell me Detroit has some cheap property.

Sorry, no thanx not for me.

Boise is absolutely beautiful, clean and safe. It's in the middle of massive amounts of farmland. Wonderful people there.

Take a look, farmland

City

Edit. Drive around a bit with google earth. It's not fancy, but pristine.

Boise is very nice, as is Coeur d'Alene, ID, which is further north and sits on the magnificent Lake Coeur d'Alene, in the heart of spectacular forests. We swim, run and ride bikes there whenever possible. Edited by SpokaneAl

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Boise Idaho, heck even my American friends cant say anything good about the place.

Must rank up there alongside Gary Indiana, or Ferguson, they tell me Detroit has some cheap property.

Boise is absolutely beautiful, clean and safe. It's in the middle of massive amounts of farmland. Wonderful people there.

Take a look, farmland

City

Boise is very nice, as is Coeur d'Alene, ID, which is further north and sits on the magnificent Lake Coeur d'Alene, in the heart of spectacular forests. We swim, run and ride bikes there whenever possible.

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect1427768267.352413.jpg

And the lake fishing in the mountain meadows is pristine and plentiful. The hiking and camping are fantastic, and still uncrowded.

post-160749-0-04128200-1427770198_thumb.

Lasted seven years, came back last fall.

Cost of living is cheaper here,

Huh????

Please don't edit my posts. Forum rules require you quote them in their entirety.

You know, this particular misperception is an ongoing argument on TV. And it is usually made by people with mediocre job histories, and/or a miserable existence in their homeland, making retiring to Asia and "enjoying" forty baht meals out, 150 baht massages, and 1000 baht "girlfriends," a good deal.

All the foods I like are available here at no up charge. In Thailand they carry a 300% up charge---even before Villa or Foodland grab their own take.

On Friday, I bought a very nice Chilean Malbec, on sale, for $4.19. That's 125 baht. IN LOS, the same wine was close to 700 baht. I bought an excellent cheese on special, thick smoked bacon for a dollar a pound, and a steelhead trout filet for $4 (fresh, not farmed). That's far less than what I paid at Villa.

My gym does not require a membership, and so has no pesky salesman. It has a flat rate of $15 per month. I, like all members, have a key, making it available 24/7.

When I use UPS or FedEx here, they are reliable and reasonable. Nothing gets stolen, or nailed for extra fees.

When I pay a serviceman here to do work on my vehicle, or my lawnmower, or my plumbing or electric, it is almost always done expeditiously, safely and right, the first time. This, as opposed to going through a series of workers who not only don't get it right, but often make a problem worse.

In LOS, I never had my '65 Honda motorbike running correctly, because the mechanics were incompetent or dishonest. Or both. This increases a tradesman's "bargain" rates considerably, making them no longer a bargain.

One time when I went to pick up my bike after some work, I noticed the original Honda seat was replaced by junk, and my seat was on the bike of the mechanic's buddy. When I pointed this out, they did this: whistling.gif . When I insisted they put it back on my bike, they became confrontational. I had to pay a cop to get my seat back. I don't think I have never had that experience at a Honda bike shop in the USA.

I bought a new gas BBQ last week at Home Depot. Regular cost was $99. On sale for $69. What's a gas BBQ in Thailand? I know the answer: about 10,000 baht for junk. The price goes up from there. The dumbbells I bought in LOS? One there cost as much as six here.

If I buy something at most stores here, there is a no-questions-asked return policy. I have returned to the local Smith's Supermarket, a number of items I found unsatisfactory. Always a smile when handing back my money. As such, I am a loyal customer. In November after returning to the States, I was checking out some groceries, and the bill was fifty-some dollars. I jokingly asked the checker if he had any coupons. He reached in his apron pocket, and swiped one across the scanner, and my bill dropped to $32. This is now a regular occurrence.

Gas where I live is almost half the price it is in Thailand. It is lower in other states.

In Thailand used vehicles carry a ridiculous price. Last week, I bought a '66 Chevy Bel Air. It had sat in an old lady's garage for years, and has 38,000 original miles. I paid $3700 for it. Now I have my eye on a '65, fully restored Chev pickup. $7000. Far less than a used pickup in average condition in Thailand. Both are investments that will never lose me money.

The Asian market I shop in Salt Lake City, actually has lower prices than back at Rhek Thum's "fresh market." And they are the same brands.

Here the tennis courts are free, and in good condition.

Here, cops don't stop me when I'm driving legally, unlike Thailand where they attempt to extort money. And here, Avis doesn't even think of extorting me for a pre-existing scratch, when I return a rental to the airport, just because I speak English.

My dentist here does not try to drill out non-existent cavities, nor pull a cracked tooth that can be repaired (if you have good training), nor spends a mere 15 minutes "cleaning" my teeth. Here it takes a solid hour,and is done right, so I only have to go twice a year rather than every couple of months.

This summer I'm out to buy a piece of land and build a vacation home. It's mine when I'm done, though my wife's name will also be on it. And where we are building, land is cheaper per acre than the rubber tree land where I lived in Rhek Thum. Don't believe me? Do your due diligence and research it, and you'll find my claim holds water.

Most of the nutritional products I take that keep me free of those expensive American doctor bills, are not available in Thailand. The few that are, are substantially lower in price here than in LOS. After feeling like crap the past few years, I am once again healthy and have my vitality back. That has great economic value.

The firearms I buy to go hunting and target shooting are at the very least, 1/3 the price they are in Thailand. The books I read are cheaper when new at the store, and a once-read paperback bought at a garage sale is 10 baht.

The tools I will use to build my house, Makita, Ryobi, and Milwaukee, are much less expensive here in the States. And if they break, the warranty work is done locally and in days. Usually they just hand over a new tool. The building material selection is far more diverse here, enabling both short-term and long-term savings.

Are there exceptions? Are there things cheaper in LOS?

Sure. Instant water heaters, air conditioners, unhygienic meals out, short-time"girlfriends," and massages. There are others, such as contact lenses, but as a whole do not measure up to a genuine savings.

Many items may be cheaper, but are built so cheaply they have a crap service life. Water pumps, clothing, and electrical items are a good example. Speaking of clothing, I bought new Levis last month. On sale, plus a coupon, $22 a pair. Good luck with that in LOS.

Want to retire to a warm climate that has reasonable prices? Try Port Charlotte, Florida. Check out the land and housing prices, and all the free services and discounts for seniors. Thailand does not even come close.

Do not worry, I have quoted everything you said. smile.png Salt Lake City does have its share of pollution, and the mormons require about 10% of your salary per week.

http://www.mormon.org/faq/church-tithing

"not so much a matter of dollars as it is a matter of faith..." LOL....LOL.....LOL

There is a membership to join if you want to go to a bar, and everyone there complains about the bad drivers.

The grass may appear to be greener, but remember Brigham Young first went to SLC as they were running from the authorities!!! This is not a good history, and I am concerned about your safety. More so than in Thailand, the LOS.

Mormom versus Buddhism.

Pollution versus Pollution

Bad drivers versus bad drivers

298347389047324982 wives versus 3 bar girls.

mormom culture versus thai culture

english versus thai

stories to tell nobody versus world traveler!!! lol

fake church smiles versus fake smiles

creepy creepy versus expat creepy creepy

Sure, maybe you can get a car fixed "better" in SLC, but only if you are part of the mormon church!!!! Free tennis.....yes, after the kool-aid!!!! LOL

I'm in Park City.....see you Tuesday for bible study!!!!!

the mormons require about 10% of your salary per week.

There is a membership to join if you want to go to a bar

Ahhh, just like that Crabby guy, Gecko123, and Jungle Jim, someone else who has either never even been to Salt Lake City, or was here 30 years ago. Your ignorance precedes you.

Are you serious? You are claiming that non-believers must pay the church a tithe? That we can't get our cars repaired?

Take a look at the March edition of Utah Stories. Here it is online:

http://www.utahstories.com

Park City, for those of you unfamiliar with Utah, is twenty-five minutes up the mountain from SLC. It is widely recognized as a world-class ski resort and Olympic venue, Hollywood celebrity haunt, and home of Robert Redford's Sundance Film Festival. It has less than 8000 inhabitants. There are less than 600 Mormons counted in that population.

It is also home to no less than eight (8), count 'em, eight microbreweries/craft beer pubs (making their own beer) in their small town. And, no, you do not have to pay membership to enjoy a freshly-made ale or lager. Just walk in and take a seat. I was just there this lunchtime, where I met a client, enjoyed some fresh salmon, and a glass of something named Polygamy Porter.

There are even more brew pubs in Salt Lake City proper, none of which require membership. That's from over 30 years ago, Sherlock.

Enjoy your fried rice and Chang tonight, Bud.

P.S. The drivers do indeed suck, but are stills heads above Thai drivers, the second worst in the world.

yeah Polygamy Porter is from Epic Brewery, i know the owner, great guy, it is also partly thanks to me he launched a beer called " Brainless Belgian" later changed to just "brainless" Was many times in SLC as every place there are some +++ but living there iso Thailand? Not for me.

Lasted seven years, came back last fall.

Cost of living is cheaper here,

Huh????

Please don't edit my posts. Forum rules require you quote them in their entirety.

You know, this particular misperception is an ongoing argument on TV. And it is usually made by people with mediocre job histories, and/or a miserable existence in their homeland, making retiring to Asia and "enjoying" forty baht meals out, 150 baht massages, and 1000 baht "girlfriends," a good deal.

All the foods I like are available here at no up charge. In Thailand they carry a 300% up charge---even before Villa or Foodland grab their own take.

On Friday, I bought a very nice Chilean Malbec, on sale, for $4.19. That's 125 baht. IN LOS, the same wine was close to 700 baht. I bought an excellent cheese on special, thick smoked bacon for a dollar a pound, and a steelhead trout filet for $4 (fresh, not farmed). That's far less than what I paid at Villa.

My gym does not require a membership, and so has no pesky salesman. It has a flat rate of $15 per month. I, like all members, have a key, making it available 24/7.

When I use UPS or FedEx here, they are reliable and reasonable. Nothing gets stolen, or nailed for extra fees.

When I pay a serviceman here to do work on my vehicle, or my lawnmower, or my plumbing or electric, it is almost always done expeditiously, safely and right, the first time. This, as opposed to going through a series of workers who not only don't get it right, but often make a problem worse.

In LOS, I never had my '65 Honda motorbike running correctly, because the mechanics were incompetent or dishonest. Or both. This increases a tradesman's "bargain" rates considerably, making them no longer a bargain.

One time when I went to pick up my bike after some work, I noticed the original Honda seat was replaced by junk, and my seat was on the bike of the mechanic's buddy. When I pointed this out, they did this: whistling.gif . When I insisted they put it back on my bike, they became confrontational. I had to pay a cop to get my seat back. I don't think I have never had that experience at a Honda bike shop in the USA.

I bought a new gas BBQ last week at Home Depot. Regular cost was $99. On sale for $69. What's a gas BBQ in Thailand? I know the answer: about 10,000 baht for junk. The price goes up from there. The dumbbells I bought in LOS? One there cost as much as six here.

If I buy something at most stores here, there is a no-questions-asked return policy. I have returned to the local Smith's Supermarket, a number of items I found unsatisfactory. Always a smile when handing back my money. As such, I am a loyal customer. In November after returning to the States, I was checking out some groceries, and the bill was fifty-some dollars. I jokingly asked the checker if he had any coupons. He reached in his apron pocket, and swiped one across the scanner, and my bill dropped to $32. This is now a regular occurrence.

Gas where I live is almost half the price it is in Thailand. It is lower in other states.

In Thailand used vehicles carry a ridiculous price. Last week, I bought a '66 Chevy Bel Air. It had sat in an old lady's garage for years, and has 38,000 original miles. I paid $3700 for it. Now I have my eye on a '65, fully restored Chev pickup. $7000. Far less than a used pickup in average condition in Thailand. Both are investments that will never lose me money.

The Asian market I shop in Salt Lake City, actually has lower prices than back at Rhek Thum's "fresh market." And they are the same brands.

Here the tennis courts are free, and in good condition.

Here, cops don't stop me when I'm driving legally, unlike Thailand where they attempt to extort money. And here, Avis doesn't even think of extorting me for a pre-existing scratch, when I return a rental to the airport, just because I speak English.

My dentist here does not try to drill out non-existent cavities, nor pull a cracked tooth that can be repaired (if you have good training), nor spends a mere 15 minutes "cleaning" my teeth. Here it takes a solid hour,and is done right, so I only have to go twice a year rather than every couple of months.

This summer I'm out to buy a piece of land and build a vacation home. It's mine when I'm done, though my wife's name will also be on it. And where we are building, land is cheaper per acre than the rubber tree land where I lived in Rhek Thum. Don't believe me? Do your due diligence and research it, and you'll find my claim holds water.

Most of the nutritional products I take that keep me free of those expensive American doctor bills, are not available in Thailand. The few that are, are substantially lower in price here than in LOS. After feeling like crap the past few years, I am once again healthy and have my vitality back. That has great economic value.

The firearms I buy to go hunting and target shooting are at the very least, 1/3 the price they are in Thailand. The books I read are cheaper when new at the store, and a once-read paperback bought at a garage sale is 10 baht.

The tools I will use to build my house, Makita, Ryobi, and Milwaukee, are much less expensive here in the States. And if they break, the warranty work is done locally and in days. Usually they just hand over a new tool. The building material selection is far more diverse here, enabling both short-term and long-term savings.

Are there exceptions? Are there things cheaper in LOS?

Sure. Instant water heaters, air conditioners, unhygienic meals out, short-time"girlfriends," and massages. There are others, such as contact lenses, but as a whole do not measure up to a genuine savings.

Many items may be cheaper, but are built so cheaply they have a crap service life. Water pumps, clothing, and electrical items are a good example. Speaking of clothing, I bought new Levis last month. On sale, plus a coupon, $22 a pair. Good luck with that in LOS.

Want to retire to a warm climate that has reasonable prices? Try Port Charlotte, Florida. Check out the land and housing prices, and all the free services and discounts for seniors. Thailand does not even come close.

Do not worry, I have quoted everything you said. smile.png Salt Lake City does have its share of pollution, and the mormons require about 10% of your salary per week.

http://www.mormon.org/faq/church-tithing

"not so much a matter of dollars as it is a matter of faith..." LOL....LOL.....LOL

There is a membership to join if you want to go to a bar, and everyone there complains about the bad drivers.

The grass may appear to be greener, but remember Brigham Young first went to SLC as they were running from the authorities!!! This is not a good history, and I am concerned about your safety. More so than in Thailand, the LOS.

Mormom versus Buddhism.

Pollution versus Pollution

Bad drivers versus bad drivers

298347389047324982 wives versus 3 bar girls.

english versus thai

stories to tell nobody versus world traveler!!! lol

fake church smiles versus fake smiles

creepy creepy versus expat creepy creepy

Sure, maybe you can get a car fixed "better" in SLC, but only if you are part of the mormon church!!!! Free tennis.....yes, after the kool-aid!!!! LOL

the mormons require about 10% of your salary per week.

There is a membership to join if you want to go to a bar

Ahhh, just like that Crabby guy, Gecko123, and Jungle Jim, someone else who has either never even been to Salt Lake City, or was here 30 years ago. Your ignorance precedes you.

Are you serious? You are claiming that non-believers must pay the church a tithe? That we can't get our cars repaired?

Take a look at the March edition of Utah Stories. Here it is online:

http://www.utahstories.com

Park City, for those of you unfamiliar with Utah, is twenty-five minutes up the mountain from SLC. It is widely recognized as a world-class ski resort and Olympic venue, Hollywood celebrity haunt, and home of Robert Redford's Sundance Film Festival. It has less than 8000 inhabitants. There are less than 600 Mormons counted in that population.

It is also home to no less than eight (8), count 'em, eight microbreweries/craft beer pubs (making their own beer) in their small town. And, no, you do not have to pay membership to enjoy a freshly-made ale or lager. Just walk in and take a seat. I was just there this lunchtime, where I met a client, enjoyed some fresh salmon, and a glass of something named Polygamy Porter.

There are even more brew pubs in Salt Lake City proper, none of which require membership. That's from over 30 years ago, Sherlock.

Enjoy your fried rice and Chang tonight, Bud.

P.S. The drivers do indeed suck, but are stills heads above Thai drivers, the second worst in the world.

yeah Polygamy Porter is from Epic Brewery, i know the owner, great guy, it is also partly thanks to me he launched a beer called " Brainless Belgian" later changed to just "brainless" Was many times in SLC as every place there are some +++ but living there iso Thailand? Not for me.

Not for me either. But it's a great place to hang out for the next three years, have a great time fishing, camping, and sightseeing, while making ridiculous money, then go spend it somewhere a bit more exotic.

Not for me either. But it's a great place to hang out for the next three years, have a great time fishing, camping, and sightseeing, while making ridiculous money, then go spend it somewhere a bit more exotic.

How many times you have now pointed out in this thread that you can make good money while back in the US?

So the real reason that you don't like Thailand seems to be that you couldn't afford it because you ran short of money.

How many times you have now pointed out in this thread that you can make good money while back in the US?

So the real reason that you don't like Thailand seems to be that you couldn't afford it because you ran short of money.

Why does it get your goat? Contrary to what many are claiming on this thread, people with skills, or just plain determination, can still make excellent money in the USA.

I never said I didn't like Thailand. In fact, I said I liked many things about it. But living there became boring and overpriced for what I got out of it. That, among a number of other things, is why I left.

Ran short of money? No, that's why so many expats stay in Thailand, eating noodle soup everyday and renting $150/month hotel rooms. They can't afford to live in their homeland. In fact, my vested pension is sufficient to maintain myself in Thailand. Which is why I, like many others before me, had the choice to live elsewhere, and exercised it.

You are working hard to perpetuate the myth that Thailand is a great paradise, and in doing so do a disservice to many who don't know better, and are planning, at great expense, to move there.

Try having a debate without the personal attacks.

Cheap shot.

Why does it get your goat? Contrary to what many are claiming on this thread, people with skills, or just plain determination, can still make excellent money in the USA.

I never said I didn't like Thailand. In fact, I said I liked many things about it. But living there became boring and overpriced for what I got out of it. That, among a number of other things, is why I left.

Ran short of money? No, that's why so many expats stay in Thailand, eating noodle soup everyday and renting $150/month hotel rooms. They can't afford to live in their homeland. In fact, my vested pension is sufficient to maintain myself in Thailand. Which is why I, like many others before me, had the choice to live elsewhere, and exercised it.

You are working hard to perpetuate the myth that Thailand is a great paradise, and in doing so do a disservice to many who don't know better, and are planning, at great expense, to move there.

Doesn't sound to me as if you like Thailand.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/800651-leaving-thailand-for-good/?p=9076515

Absolutely no way I would consider wasting another precious day of life in LOS.

More personal attacks. Now you're calling me a liar.

Over the years, I've posted many, many times things I liked about Thailand. Doesn't mean I want to die there.

That is, after all, what the OP is about.

More personal attacks. Now you're calling me a liar.

Over the years, I've posted many, many times things I liked about Thailand. Doesn't mean I want to die there.

That is, after all, what the OP is about.

Where is the personal attack?

Is post #5 which I quoted made by you or not? Did I change the wording or something?

I think the wording with which you concluded your post can not be misinterpreted.

Edited by Anthony5

You said: So the real reason that you don't like Thailand seems to be that you couldn't afford it because you ran short of money.

That's a personal attack.

The quote you attribute to me has nothing to do with liking or not liking Thailand. It has to do with the single sentence OP; "Anyone see yourself here till the end?"

Even though less that 50% of the population of SLC proper is Mormon, all that Crabby guy ever said is that, when you are living in SLC, you are living amongst the Mormons.

BTW this is a picture of the Mormon Tabernacle that was just up the road from me while I was living in Orlando, FL proper.

orlando-florida-450x480-CU070530-003.jpg

I was skiing in 1981 at Alta Ski Resort which I read now does not allow snowboarders. I stopped at the rustic rest room half way down one of the slopes. I was taking a piss and I happened to look to my right and there -- right next to me -- was Robert Redford, also taking a piss.

We stayed at a motel and went each night to the restaurant owned by the local boxing legend Gene Fullmer who spent time chatting with us each evening.

1391108853.jpg

I just dont get why there is a hardcore group of Americans on this board, apparently living in the US for the vast majority of the year, whose sole purpose seems to be to tell us how much better off they are in the US ? Not a single mention of tornadoes, floods or blizzards - its just all bliss out there on the endless prairie. Fine - enjoy it - but why are you even members of this board ? Is there a 'Born in the USA' board somewhere where you can share this love for your homeland ?

Hot summers followed by 'cold and snowy' Winters just aren't my idea of a good time - with the exception of the snow, that sounds a lot like Melbourne and you can keep that. If I had the money, Maui would probably be my choice but from memory Hawaii is a very expensive place to live. There's also the occasional hurricane to contend with ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_of_Salt_Lake_City

I just dont get why there is a hardcore group of Americans on this board, apparently living in the US for the vast majority of the year, whose sole purpose seems to be to tell us how much better off they are in the US ? Not a single mention of tornadoes, floods or blizzards - its just all bliss out there on the endless prairie. Fine - enjoy it - but why are you even members of this board ? Is there a 'Born in the USA' board somewhere where you can share this love for your homeland ?

Hot summers followed by 'cold and snowy' Winters just aren't my idea of a good time - with the exception of the snow, that sounds a lot like Melbourne and you can keep that. If I had the money, Maui would probably be my choice but from memory Hawaii is a very expensive place to live. There's also the occasional hurricane to contend with wink.png

What would you say about people who had an opinion about the weather in Thailand if they'd never been there? The US has just about any choice of weather and scenery you could ask for so whatever someone chooses is up to him. What's up with comparing it to Melbourne? Describing the weather in the US is like describing the weather in some part of Europe and assuming it's all the same.

Hot summers followed by 'cold and snowy' Winters just aren't my idea of a good time - with the exception of the snow, that sounds a lot like Melbourne and you can keep that. If I had the money, Maui would probably be my choice but from memory Hawaii is a very expensive place to live. There's also the occasional hurricane to contend with wink.png

Takes a pretty big ego, a lot of self-centeredness, to erroneously conclude that our comments are meant just for you, or you at all.

Personally, I welcome all points of view in a discussion, and particularly a debate, whether from someone in LOS or elsewhere, as long as the opinions are reasonably well informed, articulate, and politely presented.

P.S. Tornados, floods, and blizzards.

What would you say about people who had an opinion about the weather in Thailand if they'd never been there? The US has just about any choice of weather and scenery you could ask for so whatever someone chooses is up to him. What's up with comparing it to Melbourne? Describing the weather in the US is like describing the weather in some part of Europe and assuming it's all the same.

No, I dont assume its all the same - hence my preference for San Diego over Salt Lake City or any town in Iowa. Bill Bryson built a career writing books that centred on his fundamental need to escape the fact that he was born in Des Moines and you people want others to consider living there ? And HJC reckons I've got an ego ...

If I cant look at a chart of median temps across a 12 month period, along with precipitation, and decide whether that climate would suit me I might as well have gotten off the plane in Seoul or Beijing. it's not rocket science, and I know what cold weather does to me - your mileage clearly varies.

End of the day, I just want your little brigade to stop waving the stars and stripes every single time a cost of living thread is started on this board. How many times do you see the same amount of effort expended by anyone from the UK, Europe or Australia to paint their corner of the planet as God's gift to retirees and others on low incomes ?

Takes a pretty big ego, a lot of self-centeredness, to erroneously conclude that our comments are meant just for you, or you at all.

Personally, I welcome all points of view in a discussion, and particularly a debate, whether from someone in LOS or elsewhere, as long as the opinions are reasonably well informed, articulate, and politely presented.

P.S. Tornados, floods, and blizzards.

Well informed, articulate and politely presented arguments ? Thaivisa ? My friend, you seem to have wandered right off the reservation. I cordially invite you to tune into any of neversure's rants on gun control the next time the subject raises its ugly head - I'll leave it there. Carry on.

I would think... re the subject of this thread... that most people when talking about alternatives to Thailand are going to be talking about the country they originally came from... and presumably would be the easiest for them to go back to post-Thailand.

So, yes, Americans would be talking about returning to the U.S. Brits about returning to the UK, etc etc etc. Nothing particularly surprising about that.

The one thing I can say for the U.S. is -- as some others have pointed out above -- it probably has a greater range of available living environments (climates, settings, styles, prices, political leanings, ethnic flavorings) than a lot of other countries, just because of its size and geographic diversity. It's nice to have choices.

Take a look, farmland

City

Boise is very nice, as is Coeur d'Alene, ID, which is further north and sits on the magnificent Lake Coeur d'Alene, in the heart of spectacular forests. We swim, run and ride bikes there whenever possible.

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect1427768267.352413.jpg

And the lake fishing in the mountain meadows is pristine and plentiful. The hiking and camping are fantastic, and still uncrowded.

Beautiful to be sure, is that snow I see there, no thanks.

Many of my American friends moved south to places such as, New Mexico, Texas, Georgia or Kentucky to escape snow and freezing temps, like them I concur, if I ever see snow again it will be too soon.

BTW, if its such a great place, why are there no houses, is it a National Park?

Couldnt see a 7, a noodle stall, pretty women or a motorcycle taxi, sorry not for me.

Looks lifeless and soulless.

End of the day, I just want your little brigade to stop waving the stars and stripes every single time a cost of living thread is started on this board. How many times do you see the same amount of effort expended by anyone from the UK, Europe or Australia to paint their corner of the planet as God's gift to retirees and others on low incomes ?

The clear fact is that costs are a lot less in the US than in the UK, Europe or Australia. A lot less.

The OP started a thread. I have local knowledge of Thailand and the US and I agree with his points.

You could start a thread about Australia and tell how great it is and stay out of this thread. No one is making you read this, much less reply to it. We could have a nice conversation unless the moaners come in. whistling.gif

No, I dont assume its all the same - hence my preference for San Diego over Salt Lake City or any town in Iowa. Bill Bryson built a career writing books that centred on his fundamental need to escape the fact that he was born in Des Moines and you people want others to consider living there ? And HJC reckons I've got an ego ...

If I cant look at a chart of median temps across a 12 month period, along with precipitation, and decide whether that climate would suit me I might as well have gotten off the plane in Seoul or Beijing. it's not rocket science, and I know what cold weather does to me - your mileage clearly varies.

You can't look at a chart and gauge the weather completely because of how it feels - humidity, prevailing winds, whether it's sunny which makes it feel better at least visually and by perception... Like so many things in life, you have to live it. Some places are cold but usually sunny and get very little snow due to little precipitation and they are enjoyable especially if you like snow sports, photography etc. Some of those places have great hunting for deer, elk, bighorn sheep, and great fishing if you're into that.

My problems with your posts are that this one was started by an American but you don't want it to be about America, and then you criticize things you haven't lived when it doesn't really affect you.

This is a long thread because it interests some people. Apparently you aren't one of them and that's OK, but why bother with the insults?