White Honda sank on Thursday night

wondercul

I arrived on the scene before midnight on Thursday 12th Feb 2015. The car finished sinking shortly after midnight. All passenger(s) seemed to make it out without serious injury. Hopefully the girl was treated properly for shock and made a full recovery, but I don't know.

A girl from the car is on the left of the picture, on the sidewalk. Poor girl was soaking wet and upset. I did not see how the car got into the moat.

2vbpqax.jpg

Hmmmm not sure but looking at the video I wouldn't be too impressed if my car was retrieved with just a tow truck. Apart from obvious water damage, I'd say the vehicle will now also have structural damage. A crane would have been a better option IMHO. But then if they had one of those then I'd bet they wouldn't have spreader bars.

The positive thing to come out of it all is that no one died, and it also boosts my awareness of drivers of a certain nationality..... Be they driving or riding in/on any sort of transportation. Prepare for the unexpected should be their bumper/fender sticker.

Ok enough from me.....now my turn to dodge traffic, into town (City) from Mae Rim. Always a eye opener as to what some drivers will do with no consideration to other road users. Keeps me on my toes.....

The Chinese was also also driving on the wrong side of the road

Both cars were on one-way streets. There is no wrong side of the road in such a case.

okay, I'm not familiar with Chiang Mai streets - I just noticed he was driving on the right side of the road, maybe he was confused and forgot the right of way from the left.

Both cars were on one-way streets. There is no wrong side of the road in such a case.

okay, I'm not familiar with Chiang Mai streets - I just noticed he was driving on the right side of the road, maybe he was confused and forgot the right of way from the left.

Yet you're posting completely without a clue, both about the driver's nationality as well as the circumstances of an accident. rolleyes.gif

(Welcome to the the club. wink.png )

Now back to the thinly veiled disregard for forum rule 11. :/

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 1

manarak, Chiang Mai has an internal anti-clockwise square road separated by a moat from an external clockwise square road. Chinese bloke was not on the wrong side of the road but totally failed to give way to traffic whilst trying to legitimately manouevre between the squares. I hope he purchased insurance with his rental car!

• Like 1

And how can i distinguish the chinese driver from other asians, on the moatway, at night, so i can avoid them?

The mainland Chinese driver will be driving directly into you; the Hong Kong Chinese driver may be backing into you directly from rear as well as coming from direct front; the Thai, Laos, Myanmar, and Cambodian driver will be coming at you at an angle of at least 30% so you are forced to veer off the road, into the Khlong or telephone pole which means the accident was your fault.

The Singapore driver will force you to crash into them because excessive caution results in their going much slower than the flow of traffic which you will not notice because you are too busy scanning the road and your mirrors for Thai and Chinese drivers.

~o:37;

Everyone stops at that turning (inner to outer moat u turn). Not only did the driver not stop but just failed to check for oncoming cars.

Then the car on the straight made the assumption that guy was going to stop. Bad move, never assume anything when driving here.

The only assumption to make is that anything could happen at any moment.

Everyone stops at that turning (inner to outer moat u turn).... Bad move, never assume anything when driving here.

Right. I will slow down and look out for turning traffic at U-turn junctions and never assume everyone will stop. In fact, have encountered quite a few instances when they make a dash for it whistling.gif

He was making a turn from the traffic coming towards you on the other side of the moat ( one way ) so obviously he had to be on the right hand side of the cross road. Traffic from the road the VDO is shot on will drive on their right hand side to u turn onto the road other side of the moat. So he was on the correct side, just didn't look to see if anything coming from his left.

^ Exactly, which is why the 'reckless driving' charge (as per the article) is another example of police stupidity.

It's not reckless driving, it's just not noticing a car on the left. That's different from intentional reckless driving.

(I do see ACTUAL reckless driving every single day, by Thai people, right past police, who don't care. For example: actually driving on the wrong side of the road. Or any minivan driver ever. )

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Looked pretty reckless to me. But I will let the legal team on TV call this one. I believe there is a translation of the relevant Traffic Laws somewhere on the internet. I could even struggle through the Thai version but it is not allowed on this forum.