Dos and don’ts guide for Chinese tourists in Chiang Mai

Lite Beer

>I dont care if they say thank you, please or anything,, as long as they stop cutting in line

At BKK airport a Chinese woman tried to push to the front, I stood in front of her so she could not move, finding no room to move, she went to the back of the queue.

That's nothing that I haven't seen a multitude of Thai do too.

jesus talk about racial slurs

I'm judging that at your end of the political correctness spectum, saying "Farang" should be a racial slur. But I bet you don't think it is?

Obnoxious Farangs.

Sex-crazed Farangs.

Loud Farangs.

Drunk Farangs.

Impolite Farangs.

All racial slurs? I'm a Farang. Personally I could care less what people call me. I've been called worse in my home country simply based on my skin color. You learn to develop a thick skin and let the stupid comment roll off your back. Racism abounds everywhere; it's only an issue with those who attempt to control the social narrative.

Edited by connda

They just don't say please.

In China they are rude to each other.

It's the norm.

...and there you have it. That's good to know. I've never been to China. Hong Kong? Yeah, but I know for a fact that HK is different.

Can anyone living in Chiang Mai tell me when this mayhem will be over? I am in BKK and want to come there for a few weeks but would rather wait until the dust settles.

The last day of Chinese New Year is Mar 6.

OK, thanks. So do a majority of them hang around for the whole duration? If so, I will wait until then to come. Don't need that irritation!

It's entertainment. I like watching them cross Nimmen and clog up the registers at 7-11. When I go into 7-11 to get past them I just shout "move". They are obsessed with going to CMU. They do not allow them to drive on campus anymore. They must use the white campus shuttles.

In the condo I was staying at they rented to Chinese people on a weekly basis... they make the most noise, starting at 430am... hacking up in the bathroom and then talking loud. I had to move.

The one thing I do not like as a result of the huge influx of Chinese tourists is the stupid giant buses the tourist groups come in/use... damn. They clog up the roads.

AND, they smoke everywhere.

The women are ghostly white and soft...

Ghostly white and soft, sorta like every Thai women aspires to be (I know this by watching Thai TV commercials LOL). Personally, a lot of the Chinese gals I've met are pretty high up on my 'eye candy' index. rolleyes.gif I know the

'ghostly white' Chinese gals have got to make the gals from Surin reallyyyy jealous! whistling.gif

Edited by connda

Forget about do and dont guides for Chinese. They dont care.

Chinese gouvernement is trying for some time already to teach children to clean up waste on school.

As soon as they are out, they seem to forget everything.

In all details of behaviour Chinese dont care. They just do whats the easiest for them and really dont care about others.

I pitty Chiang Mai. Now some people think to make a lot of money but they will end up with only Chinese and a big mess.

• Like 1

I have never thought of myself as a racist in any regard, but having been in Chiang Mai just two weeks ago, I have to agree that the entire town was swamped with Chinese who would push, hit, and shove you out of their way. When you said excuse me to get past any group of Chinese tourists, they always, without exception, ignored you. They certainly need to learn social skills. Now, not for the next trip. Made visiting Chiang Mai a disappointment. The Thai's I met were wonderful, but they were a small minority of the people in town for the Flower Festival. I am glad to see the police jumping on this quickly.

Can anyone living in Chiang Mai tell me when this mayhem will be over? I am in BKK and want to come there for a few weeks but would rather wait until the dust settles.

When the dust settles?

That's when (early March) the Chiang Mai dust really starts to thicken.

Check your bronchial tubes before coming, if you insist on coming.

Well, "when the dust settles" was meant as a figure of speech for when the masses of Chinese clear out. I take it you are referring to the smoke and fallout from the spring burn? Is it really that bad? Never had the displeasure of experiencing it yet. Not to hijack this thread but my plan was to check out Chiang Mai as a potential residence for at least October to April each year. Is this a big enough concern to reconsider?

The CNY influx has already started. I was on a flight last Friday from HKG with a plane full of mainland Chinese tourists. After enduring the shouting across the seats, the soiled lavatory and the guy sitting next to me honking and spitting in the air sick bag, I was nearly trampled in the aisle by a sudden rush of passengers racing to be first to disembark. And that was BEFORE the doors were even open.

So 600-700million Baht with 100,000 visitors to CM, that's 6000-7000Baht of revenue per person, hardly what you would call big spenders especially if that includes hotel costs!

You are so right !

I have said it before the face of Thailand will change forever. Thais may rue the day that they started to bring such huge numbers of these people into Thailand. Thailand has already changed enormously in the last 20 years. Their culture, temples etc. are now under threat and only some can see it, TAT does not give a damn. Big numbers of Chinese tourists means that the TAT sycophants will be "rewarded" with higher salaries by their bosses, at the expense of Thailand.

Since the debate of increasing the numbers of mainland Chinese came up more and more Thai are realizing its a mistake. Particularly in Chiang Mai, this is where the trouble started first a couple of years ago. These people a loud, rude, dirty (in their spitting), and trample over Thai culture, which is being felt now in Chang Mai. They have had the hide to walk into lectures at the CNX University, disrupting them. And look at the trouble they also caused in the Temple of the Emerald Buddha recently.

They are ignorant of Thai culture and certainly couldn't care less. These people who coming from China are the first generation of international tourism travelers, their parents are still on the farm, in the noodle shop or on the factory floor. The access to money for this Generation Z has done this, and given that they are spending money (and on average per head, its not much), they think can do whatever they want. The Chinese Z generation has a definite sense of entitlement and narcissism.

Another Question: Why does the Thai administration now discouraged Western tourists and want-to-be expats from staying or coming to Thailand. This has been occuring now for years before the average Chinese even left the farm or the noodle shop. I cannot figure out why Thailand is offering free visas to the mainland Chinese. They only stay for a few days then leave. Per capita they spend a pittance, it is only because they are invading the country in huge numbers that they are worthwhile to the economy. On the other hand Europeans, Australians, the English, Americans etc, spend larger amounts and stay longer, and were once the powerhouse of tourism in Thailand, sadly not anymore. They have been discouraged in so many ways over the last 20 years. And if you think about it a lot of the falang money goes directly into the hands of Thais in the lower income brackets, not the wealthy as does the Chinese money through five star hotels and big travel agencies. As in all countries, governments look after themselves, numerus unus prior.

I am very skeptical of a promotion campaign that specifically targets one population. It is skewed too much to be politically correct, as most other nation's tourist bureaus would see it (I will temper my words here).

If the Chinese are so rude, than why is it that farangs are still the primary target of beatings, assaults, and outright murder. If Chinese are 'trampling over Thai culture', you'd think the average, easily-engaged-to-the-point-of-violence Thais would be kicking Chinese butt left and right -- but I don't hear that in the news. Maybe it's just not being reported? Or maybe they give their fellow asians the benefit of the doubt. Honestly, I don't know.

I can say for sure that in CM many incidents/ accidents are not reported. I've seen Chinese have accidents riding bicycles and motorbikes. There have even Chinese killed coming down Doi Suthep mountain, nothing in the news. This has been going on for many months and continues. Only once in awhile will you see something in the local news but not too many deaths are reported from what I can see.

• Like 1

no from witnessing myself, daily reports on tv, the newspapers, and the internet. never had any of these issues. Never left my common sense at the airport.

Every white foreigner should have one glued to their head on arrival . Problem is most are not smart enough to read. maybe that is one of the numerous reasons they tend to get themselves in non stop problems. Rule # 232. Do not walk around Pattaya at 2 am drunk covered in gold . Rule # 555 Do not leave your common sense at the airport. Rule # 666 Do not marry a bar girl.

I assume your words of wisdom are from years of experience in all three areas?

And Jim, to all those guys that have met decent girls in bars, enslaved by poverty, married them and are having a happy life, well you have just ticked them off.

They found a "Hansum" ATM. (Most likely much older than them)

They are waiting for him to die and then, they and the family, reap all the spoils that their inherent lying produced.

A leopard can't change it's spots.

thumbsup.gif

Edited by iReason

They are rude. They go to 7/11, point and say "Give me".

I want to nudge them saying "Say thank you to the nice lady behind the counter who is serving you so nicely."

Different culture I guess.

Yes, I lived among the Chinese in Malaysia and was even married to one for 13 years. They don't have a culture of courtesy to strangers, because in their much-vaunted "4,000 years of culture," it was always dog eat dog, oppressive and authoritarian, so the only important things to the Chinese were and are--money and family. F*** strangers. But also it's a matter of language. They don't all know the nuances of polite English. For example they start imperative sentences with "You give me that bottle," and MAYBE with a please after that, but probably not. In English, the You subject is understood, but not in all languages.

Having said all this, I did find the supermarket people and many taxi drivers in Dalian to be friendly.

• Like 1

But I should have added--many of the educated young Chinese are really a joy to know. And the best girl of my life came from Chengdu; she was a city government interpreter back in the early '90s. Chinese women are the most beautiful and in some cases refined but honest and straightforward in the world.

• Like 1

So 600-700million Baht with 100,000 visitors to CM, that's 6000-7000Baht of revenue per person, hardly what you would call big spenders especially if that includes hotel costs!

You are so right !

I have said it before the face of Thailand will change forever. Thais may rue the day that they started to bring such huge numbers of these people into Thailand. Thailand has already changed enormously in the last 20 years. Their culture, temples etc. are now under threat and only some can see it, TAT does not give a damn. Big numbers of Chinese tourists means that the TAT sycophants will be "rewarded" with higher salaries by their bosses, at the expense of Thailand.

Since the debate of increasing the numbers of mainland Chinese came up more and more Thai are realizing its a mistake. Particularly in Chiang Mai, this is where the trouble started first a couple of years ago. These people a loud, rude, dirty (in their spitting), and trample over Thai culture, which is being felt now in Chang Mai. They have had the hide to walk into lectures at the CNX University, disrupting them. And look at the trouble they also caused in the Temple of the Emerald Buddha recently.

They are ignorant of Thai culture and certainly couldn't care less. These people who coming from China are the first generation of international tourism travelers, their parents are still on the farm, in the noodle shop or on the factory floor. The access to money for this Generation Z has done this, and given that they are spending money (and on average per head, its not much), they think can do whatever they want. The Chinese Z generation has a definite sense of entitlement and narcissism.

Another Question: Why does the Thai administration now discouraged Western tourists and want-to-be expats from staying or coming to Thailand. This has been occuring now for years before the average Chinese even left the farm or the noodle shop. I cannot figure out why Thailand is offering free visas to the mainland Chinese. They only stay for a few days then leave. Per capita they spend a pittance, it is only because they are invading the country in huge numbers that they are worthwhile to the economy. On the other hand Europeans, Australians, the English, Americans etc, spend larger amounts and stay longer, and were once the powerhouse of tourism in Thailand, sadly not anymore. They have been discouraged in so many ways over the last 20 years. And if you think about it a lot of the falang money goes directly into the hands of Thais in the lower income brackets, not the wealthy as does the Chinese money through five star hotels and big travel agencies. As in all countries, governments look after themselves, numerus unus prior.

I am very skeptical of a promotion campaign that specifically targets one population. It is skewed too much to be politically correct, as most other nation's tourist bureaus would see it (I will temper my words here).

If the Chinese are so rude, than why is it that farangs are still the primary target of beatings, assaults, and outright murder. If Chinese are 'trampling over Thai culture', you'd think the average, easily-engaged-to-the-point-of-violence Thais would be kicking Chinese butt left and right -- but I don't hear that in the news. Maybe it's just not being reported? Or maybe they give their fellow asians the benefit of the doubt. Honestly, I don't know.

I can say for sure that in CM many incidents/ accidents are not reported. I've seen Chinese have accidents riding bicycles and motorbikes. There have even Chinese killed coming down Doi Suthep mountain, nothing in the news. This has been going on for many months and continues. Only once in awhile will you see something in the local news but not too many deaths are reported from what I can see.

Come on folks--farang have been hanging around Thailand for decades and decades. The Chinese only recently arrived. Give them time--they'll murder each other in addition to getting murdered by locals.

• Like 2

You are so right !

Good post, but I don't think the Thai administration discourages western tourists by any means. 30 day visa exemptions continue to be available and just over a year ago G-7 nationals got 30 days coming via land borders again. From time to time, the TAT talks about encouraging visitors from various western nations to Thailand again. So there you have it. The TAT is obsessed with tourism, no matter where the visitors come from.

You are so right !

Ouch I don't think so. First of all, even if some Thais are racist, there is no such thing as "Asian fellowship", "Asian solidarity" or "Asian brotherhood". Thais don't give a crap about other Asians, and hardly care about Chinese over westerners. Besides, with Thailand being an Asian country there is no need to find any common ground with other Asians in their own country, Thailand isn't a minority in a western country; Thais are the vast majority. In fact, many Thais prefer westerners as they find many Chinese to be uncouth. Also, westerners tip better, smile and use polite language more frequently than the average Chinese visitor. But at the end of the day, it's either most Thais have a positive or neutral view of foreigners irrespective of where they're from (most haven't had any major dealings with foreigners anyway) or otherwise it's usually a case of "us vs. them" meaning Thais vs. all other foreigners. Also, one hardly hears of Chinese marrying Thais, but there are huge numbers of westerners in relationships with Thais. I think that says a lot already.

Secondly, there are now reports emerging of Chinese being the victims of scams and other trouble. Not that long ago a Chinese exchange student at some small Bangkok university committed suicide. So I think there are just as many Chinese being victims of beatings and getting into trouble etc. not just "farangs". It's only because of a certain media fixation that you are assuming otherwise.

Edited by Tomtomtom69
  • Like 2

You are so right !

It may be as simple as the fact that the Chinese are (mostly) still traveling in large groups and Farangs don't. smile.png

• Like 1

The last day of Chinese New Year is Mar 6.

OK, thanks. So do a majority of them hang around for the whole duration? If so, I will wait until then to come. Don't need that irritation!

And here you have it: The first-generation-to-travel-but-haven't-learned-travel-norms-yet Chinese will drive away other potential visitors to CM. Give the Chinese a couple of generations and they will behave badly in the same ways as non-Chinese tourists behave now; maybe.

>I dont care if they say thank you, please or anything,, as long as they stop cutting in line

At BKK airport a Chinese woman tried to push to the front, I stood in front of her so she could not move, finding no room to move, she went to the back of the queue.

Wife mislaid her her security strap for her suitcase the other day as we were leaving so decided to get her case clear-wrapped at Swampy. It was on the machine in the process of getting it's first layer when a Chinese woman arrived with two friends all with arms full of mall shopping bags. They deposited them on the floor by the machine & she started demanding "me first." to the guy insisting he remove my wife's bag & do her stuff. The wrap machine guy (bless him) just repeatedly placed his index finger vertically to his lips & said "Shhhh!!!" He then said "Be polite" in English twice and then he took his time with wrapping my wife's case. No hurry at all. I had to look away to hide my smirk.

• Like 1

But I should have added--many of the educated young Chinese are really a joy to know. And the best girl of my life came from Chengdu; she was a city government interpreter back in the early '90s. Chinese women are the most beautiful and in some cases refined but honest and straightforward in the world.

why you than still here ??

Please please leave and go to Chengdu !!

Now !! not tomorrow !°!

I think another point here is that Thailand is run by Chinese. Those mainlanders are their uncles and relatives so they allow them in but I would be more concerned about them doing what they will do with business and build zillions of cheap aprtment buildings and ripping apart whatever is in the way to do it. Anyhow the Chinese are taking over the planet and will certainly be the final human species.

Rules.

1. Do not put your cigarettes out in the elevator or on the carpet in the hotel.

2. Dont spit everywhere and on the windows in your hotel room.

3. Dont hold your kid over a waste bin in the mall and have them take a dump.

4. Dont fight at the produce section over the fruit.

5. Dont carry ten times the alloted carry on baggage on the aircraft, and then fight when you cnnot get it all in their.

6. Dont have your friends all take different positons in line then jump over to the one who is farthest in front.

7. Dont ride the motorbike on the sidewalk.