Thailand is soooo cheap compared to back home

davidst01

Lets face it. Some things are so cheap in the LOS. Some examples...

1. Thai post office.... To send huge boxes anywhere in Thailand by tracking is really cheap. I posted a huge box with a heavy pram in it and it only cost thb140. It would have been around $40 back home

2. Water bills.... We have a 3 br home with 2 bathrooms. My water bill each month is 400 baht. Back home water is really expensive. I have a friend back home who said that he was paying $100 a month minimum on a 3 b/r house with same size family as me.

3. Electricity... My monthly electricity bills are extremely cheap at the moment thb 500 to 700 a month. We are not using the air con yet. Obviously it will be up in april but no where near the prices back home. My sister back home said that she had a bill of $600 a quarter during winter. Another friend in a medium size home says he walks around turning lights off etc in his house everyday to reduce the bills. His quarterly electricity bill was $900 but he has 4 kids.

Do you have any other examples

cheers

• Like 2

groceries can be VERY expensive in Thailand if you want something that is not part of the basic needs of Thai people. And I am not talking about imported goods, I am talking about products made in Thailand. one example, a 225 gr block of (local) butter costs double of what I would pay in my home country. And yes, sorry, while I do eat Thai food too, butter is still part of MY daily basic needs. A tiny cup of (locally made !) cottage cheese costs 4 times as much as in my home country. On the other hand, I don't get a 1$/ lunch in my home country when eating out....

A lot of people here don't like Thai $1 food, but at that price they learn to love it.

Because someone lives in Thailand doesn't mean they should eat Thai food if they don't like it.

Go abroad and see how many Thai's eat the local foods.

• Like 2

If you live, dress, and eat here like you did in your country, can be VERY expensive....but who will move to Germany looking to eat fresh lobster every day? Anyway...you can see many Americans just buying in Robertson the same Lee Jeans (made in Thailand) for 1500 its can buy in a local store for 500 or less. You can see them eating T-bones sirloin beef steaks, Mc Donalds burgers, and salmon, and having cappuccinos everyday seated in Starbucks complaining that Thailand is not cheap.....Surely..in the US...those people eats at Mc Donalds, and never in a Thai restaurant because may be too expensive for them...

Edited by umbanda
  • Like 1

Lets face it. Some things are so cheap in the LOS. Some examples...

1. Thai post office.... To send huge boxes anywhere in Thailand by tracking is really cheap. I posted a huge box with a heavy pram in it and it only cost thb140. It would have been around $40 back home

2. Water bills.... We have a 3 br home with 2 bathrooms. My water bill each month is 400 baht. Back home water is really expensive. I have a friend back home who said that he was paying $100 a month minimum on a 3 b/r house with same size family as me.

3. Electricity... My monthly electricity bills are extremely cheap at the moment thb 500 to 700 a month. We are not using the air con yet. Obviously it will be up in april but no where near the prices back home. My sister back home said that she had a bill of $600 a quarter during winter. Another friend in a medium size home says he walks around turning lights off etc in his house everyday to reduce the bills. His quarterly electricity bill was $900 but he has 4 kids.

Do you have any other examples

cheers

1. The post office doesn't steal things out of my mail in my home country.

2. I wouldn't drink that dodgy water at any price.

3. In my home country my electrical can't kill me. It's grounded (earthed.)

Next.

Wait till he cranks the air con.

Costs me about 2 k a month in hit season to run the air con. Still not bad imo. It's just to hot not to have it going and I live in the hottest continent in the world the rest of the year.

Our Australian electricity bill tops $1000 for the summer quarter. Maybe $600 each other quarter. My gas bill is average $250 a quarter. That's for 3 of us but our daughter is only 2 .

Shopping food bill is about $300 a week. We eat pretty well. But nappies are in that and they're expensive. Water bill is around $200 a quarter.

Add mortgage and cars and the rest of life costs in its crazy really.

Just a comparison for you.

That's outrageous. I believe you but I've never heard of such a thing.

My big occasional splurge is to go out for steak and lobster. That's choice grade American beef and a big Maine lobster done right. Cost about $25 with a salad and dessert. I mention it only because I miss things like that in Thailand.

zx.jpg

It is outrageous.

From what I gather from guys here Australian utility bills are really expensive compared to lots of countries, if not the most expensive. Foods also ludicrously priced. A lobster meal like you describe is easily $60 per person on a bargain restaurant.

It's really hard to save as well as support a family and me and my wife earn good money combined.

Oh well hopefully we can find a way to live in Thailand full time and live a cheaper lifestyle

• Like 2

" 1. Thai post office.... To send huge boxes anywhere in Thailand by tracking is really cheap. I posted a huge box with a heavy pram in it and it only cost thb140. It would have been around $40 back home"

Just wondering....wouldn't happen to have been a tandem pram, would it?

• Like 1

Our Australian electricity bill tops $1000 for the summer quarter. Maybe $600 each other quarter. My gas bill is average $250 a quarter. That's for 3 of us but our daughter is only 2 .

Shopping food bill is about $300 a week. We eat pretty well. But nappies are in that and they're expensive. Water bill is around $200 a quarter.

When i was home last year in Australia, i watched a few "shopping trollies" pass through the check out.............Pure bloody extravagance and still they whinge about the cost. rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

How about comparing the average wage in Australia to the average wage in Thailand. Then perhaps you might have a better understanding !

Well go on what's the average wage in Thailand?

Average wage in Australia is maybe 40k. Take 25% tax.

My understanding is fine but thanks anyway!

• Like 1

you can't get a haircut for 50 baht in Bkk these days, it's 60 baht, bloody outrageous biggrin.png

Lucky you jacky...here on Samui it costs me Bht 100.

well that does happen here, they have 60 baht on the window but when the falang comes to pay it's often a hundred, in that case I never go back and they don't see that they lost hundreds of baht in lost custom, idiots.

• Like 1