Thailand is soooo cheap compared to back home

davidst01

Our Australian electricity bill tops $1000 for the summer quarter. Maybe $600 each other quarter. My gas bill is average $250 a quarter. That's for 3 of us but our daughter is only 2 .

Shopping food bill is about $300 a week. We eat pretty well. But nappies are in that and they're expensive. Water bill is around $200 a quarter.

Add mortgage and cars and the rest of life costs in its crazy really.

Just a comparison for you.

When i was home last year in Australia, i watched a few "shopping trollies" pass through the check out.............Pure bloody extravagance and still they whinge about the cost. rolleyes.gif

Now your summing us all up aren't you.

What's extravagance? A bit of extra food and some biscuits?

• Like 1

Lets face it. Some things are so cheap in the LOS. Some examples...
1. Thai post office.... To send huge boxes anywhere in Thailand by tracking is really cheap. I posted a huge box with a heavy pram in it and it only cost thb140. It would have been around $40 back home
2. Water bills.... We have a 3 br home with 2 bathrooms. My water bill each month is 400 baht. Back home water is really expensive. I have a friend back home who said that he was paying $100 a month minimum on a 3 b/r house with same size family as me.
3. Electricity... My monthly electricity bills are extremely cheap at the moment thb 500 to 700 a month. We are not using the air con yet. Obviously it will be up in april but no where near the prices back home. My sister back home said that she had a bill of $600 a quarter during winter. Another friend in a medium size home says he walks around turning lights off etc in his house everyday to reduce the bills. His quarterly electricity bill was $900 but he has 4 kids.
Do you have any other examples

cheers

1. The post office doesn't steal things out of my mail in my home country.

2. I wouldn't drink that dodgy water at any price.

3. In my home country my electrical can't kill me. It's grounded (earthed.)

Next.

I stay PUT in MY home country - SIMPLE!!!!!!!!!!

you can't get a haircut for 50 baht in Bkk these days, it's 60 baht, bloody outrageous biggrin.png

Lucky you jacky...here on Samui it costs me Bht 100.

well that does happen here, they have 60 baht on the window but when the falang comes to pay it's often a hundred, in that case I never go back and they don't see that they lost hundreds of baht in lost custom, idiots.

Idiots... many around. I agree.

Our Australian electricity bill tops $1000 for the summer quarter. Maybe $600 each other quarter. My gas bill is average $250 a quarter. That's for 3 of us but our daughter is only 2 .

Shopping food bill is about $300 a week. We eat pretty well. But nappies are in that and they're expensive. Water bill is around $200 a quarter.

Well I don't know where you live I live in Perth my electricity bill is about $ 80 for 65 days my gas bill is $ 70 for about

the same amount of month my water bill is about $ 35 per 3 month we have a 3 bedroom villa and 2 bathrooms as well

Our food bill is about $ 85 per week for 3 people and yes we eat well meat every day and veg's so where is it cheaper ?

I do get my pension I have Medicare for free I get discounts on the bus and train get discount on medicine and so on.

Do I get all that in Thailand?

• Like 1

My 5000 baht rent and 1800 baht total utility bill keeps me smiling.

4 bedroom/4 bath on half a rai..just a few minutes from the market in San Sai, Chiang Mai.

That utility bill includes 200 for water, 700 for elect, and 900 for cable/wifi.

I buy extra butter and cheese with what I save (a similar house in New York State, with utilities, would be closer to 60,000.

do the math. I happily buy whatever food I like, at inflated prices, and still make out like a bandit.

Just look at the cost of those communal coin washing machines here - 40 Baht!

But don't worry, here's another of my Super Thai Saver Tips for Farangs - How to Stay Clean for Free - that you may have missed first time around:

Come washday, carry your basket of dirty clothes down to a conveniently out of the way, dim spot near the laundry room. Wait until another resident loads up their washing and starts the machine, then leaves for the duration of the cycle. When they are safely out of sight, quickly open the top of the machine and insert your own dirty laundry.

As long as you make sure to withdraw you own washing between the penultimate and ultimate spin cycles, you will have not only saved the 40 Baht cost, but an extra few Baht on that not inexpensive washing powder!

More tips soon.

• Like 2

I don't know really what you are talking about. How you can tell us that the electric and water bills from your friend are more expensive without compare it at used electric/water. Maybe your friend shower 5 times the day and you only one time. maybe him have 3 tv's running and you are only one. How can you compare it with a 3BD house?

In my homecountry almost everything is cheaper. Bread, nudels, meat, milk, coffee, tea, clothes, ckokolade, nuts, Chips, ....!!! Most electronics, cars and motorbikes are cheaper. Also beer, wine, Whisky, ...!!!

The home building materials heresome cheaper but poor quality.

Every friend who visit me told me later: It's cheap to eat outside. Gasohol, Diesel, ... cheaper too. But most things what you use daily are much more expensive.

But I don't stay in Thailand for have a cheap living.

• Like 1

Just look at the cost of those communal coin washing machines here - 40 Baht!

But don't worry, here's another of my Super Thai Saver Tips for Farangs - How to Stay Clean for Free - that you may have missed first time around:

Come washday, carry your basket of dirty clothes down to a conveniently out of the way, dim spot near the laundry room. Wait until another resident loads up their washing and starts the machine, then leaves for the duration of the cycle. When they are safely out of sight, quickly open the top of the machine and insert your own dirty laundry.

As long as you make sure to withdraw you own washing between the penultimate and ultimate spin cycles, you will have not only saved the 40 Baht cost, but an extra few Baht on that not inexpensive washing powder!

More tips soon.

Oh God.

Well I don't know where you live I live in Perth my electricity bill is about $ 80 for 65 days my gas bill is $ 70 for about

the same amount of month my water bill is about $ 35 per 3 month we have a 3 bedroom villa and 2 bathrooms as well

Our food bill is about $ 85 per week for 3 people and yes we eat well meat every day and veg's so where is it cheaper ?

I do get my pension I have Medicare for free I get discounts on the bus and train get discount on medicine and so on.

Do I get all that in Thailand?

Well if that's the price you can live for, which is cheaper that Thailand, you could sell a book on how to do it, seriously.

I'd like to hear what 3 people eat on 85 a week divided by 3 .

So how many swimming pools do you have or how many fridges you have running all day every day?

I must admit I do not eat a lot but my wife eats like a horse and I have a 21 year old nephew who

eats even more but reply on all the benefits you get in Thailand ? As a Farang NONE you get

ripped of where ever you go ( don't want to get in to double pricing )

I lived in Thailand for many years and went back to OZ and I am happy now yes I know not

every thing is cheap but I live better here then I ever lived in Thailand.

The price of cheese, butter, wine etc is irrelevant to me. How much of this stuff do you really eat? I pay a few dollars more for a piece of cheese than I would at home, and save $1000 on rent. Not to mention I can get a fantastic bowl of noodles for $1 or fresh tropical fruit so I don't really care that I am not eating cheese and butter every day. I'm healthier and I save money.

• Like 1

1. Thai post office.... To send huge boxes anywhere in Thailand by tracking is really cheap. I posted a huge box with a heavy pram in it and it only cost thb140. It would have been around $40 back home

2. Water bills.... We have a 3 br home with 2 bathrooms. My water bill each month is 400 baht. Back home water is really expensive. I have a friend back home who said that he was paying $100 a month minimum on a 3 b/r house with same size family as me.

3. Electricity... My monthly electricity bills are extremely cheap at the moment thb 500 to 700 a month. We are not using the air con yet. Obviously it will be up in april but no where near the prices back home. My sister back home said that she had a bill of $600 a quarter during winter. Another friend in a medium size home says he walks around turning lights off etc in his house everyday to reduce the bills. His quarterly electricity bill was $900 but he has 4 kids.

cheers

Next.

Wow good job you don't live in Thailand eh neversure, you'd probably hate it!

cheers

Next.

Wow good job you don't live in Thailand eh neversure, you'd probably hate it!

One of the reasons why everything is so "cheap "here is because you are subject to a far greater probability of encountering misadventure in your home and every time you step outside your front door than you are in the west.

The cheapest thing in Thailand is someone else's life.

BTW my electricity bill averages 13,000 per month.

cheers

Next.

only poor people drink water and/or live in an "ungrounded" home tongue.png

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

How about comparing the average wage in Australia to the average wage in Thailand. Then perhaps you might have a better understanding !

That's what I've been thinking, it might be cheap for us but sometimes I wonder how the Thais can afford to live.Cars are dearer here than Australia yet there are lots of new expensive cars out there on the road. Electrical goods like TV,s are dearer, phones are dearer, petrol is about the same as Oz, houses seem to be about 1/3 the price yet the average wage is about 5 times higher in Australia. I guess the actual living costs (taxes,electricity,water,food,clothes) are cheaper but I am sure we are better off

you can't get a haircut for 50 baht in Bkk these days, it's 60 baht, bloody outrageous biggrin.png

well that does happen here, they have 60 baht on the window but when the falang comes to pay it's often a hundred, in that case I never go back and they don't see that they lost hundreds of baht in lost custom, idiots.

must have been a terrible experience for you w00t.gif how did you cope? went to a shrink or joined a support group for a few months? huh.png

• Like 1

Idiots... many around. I agree.

most of them Farangs whistling.gif

How about comparing the average wage in Australia to the average wage in Thailand. Then perhaps you might have a better understanding !

I've just compared my pension in the USA with my pension in Thailand, both the same!

comparing my income in Thailand with that if i lived in Germany the income in Thailand is nearly double.

your problem is that you are not AnotherOneGerman living in Thailand laugh.png

• Like 1

Rent 0

Electricity 1,203 Baht

Tel. 100 Baht

Water about 200 Baht

Cable TV 1,419 or thereabouts

Internet 1,500 Baht

Rubbish collection 20 Baht/month

Mobile phone: 900

Pretty cheap. But then I am working so can afford these luxuries. wink.png

cheers

Next.

5 5 5

Didn't you know that Electricity is different here - not the same ar your home country.

Earth not needed, especially is shown on the wiring diagram for a SAFE-T-CUT circuit breaker LOL

4. Life, especially for a Farrang.

5. Baht buses.

6. Trains

• Like 2

I do have to give credits for this to Thailand and Thai people.

Thais have the skill to get a job done for real low price..Even if you compare it with other Asian countries often Thailand has the lowest price.

Hair cuts,dinners,massages,hotels...

Maybe somehow thais are less profit minded then farangs,as in farang countries all is heavily overpriced..

Thais have a skill to stay and maintain low on their selling prices ,

Thais deserve credit for this... :)

• Like 1

Cheap is the correct word.

Not to be confused with " inexpensive".

Example: A "cheap" pair of shoes in Thailand might last two months before falling apart.

A good pair of shoes in USA will last me two years or more!

Low priced items are not inexpensive when they need to be replaced so often, or don't even work at all when you get them home.

You get what you pay for.

Poor quality cost less, yes!

An old farmer once said, " Buying oats is much cheaper if they have been through the horse once already!"

P.S. I am curious as to where you are from that you paid for utilities quarterly?

In America, I always paid monthly.

• Like 2