Thailand is soooo cheap compared to back home

davidst01

This tired old argument is flawed because it fails to take in disparity in wages. Don't forget people generally earn several times the Thai average and while things like rent and services are cheaper, it is still relative: a teacher earning 25k here might earn 125k there. Buuuut, then you have groceries, which are a lot more expensive here than even a few years ago, even more so than UK. Numerous things are cheaper and of miles better quality over there. Fair quality clothes are also dirt cheap as are cars. Water cheap, electric cheap, post cheap... f*** a doodle do, what about the rest and quality of service? You ain't lookin at the big picture.

• Like 1

That's outrageous. I believe you but I've never heard of such a thing.

My big occasional splurge is to go out for steak and lobster. That's choice grade American beef and a big Maine lobster done right. Cost about $25 with a salad and dessert. I mention it only because I miss things like that in Thailand.

attachicon.gifzx.jpg

American restaurants don't offer big Maine Lobster with steak because the price would be obscene. Portland's Hawthorne lobster house 2 pound lobster $80. A decent steak at Morton's or Cris"s $50.

So steak and big Maine lobster would be $130. with no drink or tip. Now if you mean grass fed beef from down under and slipper tails imported from Thailand the price is more in your range.

You can get surf and turf and MANY places in the US and it sure doesn't cost $130. Using Morton's as a benchmark for choice grade American beef cost is ridiculous. What is the equivalent cost of a "decent steak at Morton's" here in Thailand?

Neversure said, "choice American beef and a big Maine lobster. Maine lobsters are only sold whole and a big one means 2 plus pounds (not a crappy chicken lobster - the taste is different).

Choice American beef mean a decent steak house like Mortons or Ruth Cris. An average whole live big lobster at a decent restaurant in Oregon (Neversure is from Oregon I think) is around $80. http://hawthornelobsterhouse.com/main-menu/ 2.5 lb $79.95.

Cheap Surf and turf is probably a cheap grassfed steak and warm water tail.

For a price comparison in Thailand check out Kobe or Waygu beef.

Morton's uses Prime Grade, not choice. Do you really think that you can have a good steak in Thailand for anywhere near the price of in the US?

FROM USDA WEBSITE:

• Prime grade thumbnail_prime1.gif?MOD=AJPERES&CACHEID is produced from young, well-fed beef cattle. It has abundant marbling and is generally sold in restaurants and hotels. Prime roasts and steaks are excellent for dry-heat cooking (broiling, roasting, or grilling).

• Choice grade thumbnail_choice1.gif?MOD=AJPERES&CACHEI is high quality, but has less marbling than Prime. Choice roasts and steaks from the loin and rib will be very tender, juicy, and flavorful and are, like Prime, suited to dry-heat cooking. Many of the less tender cuts, such as those from the rump, round, and blade chuck, can also be cooked with dry heat if not overcooked. Such cuts will be most tender if "braised" — roasted, or simmered with a small amount of liquid in a tightly covered pan.

FROM MORTON'S WEBSITE:

USDA Prime-Aged Beef: The Top 2% of Beef Available in the U.S....and at Morton's!

Steak: What Morton's Does Best!

Since day one, Morton's has used the same suppliers for our aged prime beef and other meat. They select the best of their inventory for us–and if it doesn't meet Morton's standards, it doesn't get cut for our steaks.

When we say that we offer "The Best Steak...Anywhere," we mean it!

What does "Prime" mean?

"Prime" is the highest quality grade designation from the U.S. Department of Agriculture in terms of tenderness, juiciness and flavor. This quality grade is determined by maturity and marbling scores, with abundant marbling being required. Less than 2 percent of the nation's beef supply earns the designation of "Prime" beef. Our Prime Beef at Morton's is aged for 23-28 days and is custom-cut per Morton’s specification, by network of experienced meat cutters, which assures the highest quality. Our meat arrives fresh to our locations ready to partake in the ultimate dining experience!

• Like 1

Our Australian electricity bill tops $1000 for the summer quarter. Maybe $600 each other quarter. My gas bill is average $250 a quarter. That's for 3 of us but our daughter is only 2 .

Shopping food bill is about $300 a week. We eat pretty well. But nappies are in that and they're expensive. Water bill is around $200 a quarter.

Add mortgage and cars and the rest of life costs in its crazy really.

Just a comparison for you.

My big occasional splurge is to go out for steak and lobster. That's choice grade American beef and a big Maine lobster done right. Cost about $25 with a salad and dessert. I mention it only because I miss things like that in Thailand.

zx.jpg

It is outrageous.

From what I gather from guys here Australian utility bills are really expensive compared to lots of countries, if not the most expensive. Foods also ludicrously priced. A lobster meal like you describe is easily $60 per person on a bargain restaurant.

It's really hard to save as well as support a family and me and my wife earn good money combined.

Oh well hopefully we can find a way to live in Thailand full time and live a cheaper lifestyle

australia is the land of forgotten dreams.

I find my wife costs almost as much to keep here as she did in the UK ,bags ,shoes ,new clothes ,lucky she has a good job and earns good wages ,"every little helps"smile.png

When she divorces you, it will be much cheaper than back in the UK.

Are you assuming the poster I claudius didn't have a marriage in the UK when you say that?

I was talking to my coworker at lunch about this. He is half Thai and half American and has lived here for 4 years. We agreed that Thailand CAN be cheaper, but for both of us it really isn't that cheap.

The main difference I see is that it is much easier to be poor here. Basic necessities like food, shelter, water can be very cheap here. It is warm enough all year round that you can survive without heat so electricity bills can be low. You can buy a cheap motorcycle or take public transport or a taxi almost anywhere.

But for me, I don't fall into any of those categories. I rent a rather modest Honda Jazz that is pretty expensive each month. I spend a lot more on fuel commuting to work. I rent a nice condo that is more expensive than what I rent my house out for in the US. The power bill is more expensive even though I only air condition in the rooms i'm in at my condo. I cook a lot more here and that is expensive as well for the ingredients I buy.

I am not the only one that has come to this conclusion. My coworker's Thai family living in California moved out here last year because they thought it would be nice and less expensive. After a month they went home. It wasn't as cheap as they expected.

For me I don't care if it is more or less expensive here. I am generally pretty happy here and I enjoy being able to spend as I please.

• Like 2

Yep, things can be pretty cheap here.

No big surprise though that a chorus of negative nellies have turned up already to tell you that some things are expensive, or that it's all rubbish. Thaivisa never lets us down.

yes/no. Some westerner's food are priced to be unaffordable even to myself with a good US retirement check. Cheese, potatoes, butter, pomelos, and many local fruits I just can't see how they justify those high prices. Beef, salmon,etc. etc.- The markets are a dump and quality of textile is shit. You have to buy middle of the range and for me Body Glove is about the middle. Textile Thai sizes, (even coat hangers) are for midgets. Bring your own hangers from your home country.

yes my friend, keep blabbering your mouth how cheap Thailand is and the merchants keep jacking up the prices on "farangs items" like french bread.

Potatoes are 10bht/Kg at the moment, you find them expensive?

French bread costs 15bht/Kg to make, you can't make it yourself?

I was talking to my coworker at lunch about this. He is half Thai and half American and has lived here for 4 years. We agreed that Thailand CAN be cheaper, but for both of us it really isn't that cheap.

The main difference I see is that it is much easier to be poor here. Basic necessities like food, shelter, water can be very cheap here. It is warm enough all year round that you can survive without heat so electricity bills can be low. You can buy a cheap motorcycle or take public transport or a taxi almost anywhere.

But for me, I don't fall into any of those categories. I rent a rather modest Honda Jazz that is pretty expensive each month. I spend a lot more on fuel commuting to work. I rent a nice condo that is more expensive than what I rent my house out for in the US. The power bill is more expensive even though I only air condition in the rooms i'm in at my condo. I cook a lot more here and that is expensive as well for the ingredients I buy.

I am not the only one that has come to this conclusion. My coworker's Thai family living in California moved out here last year because they thought it would be nice and less expensive. After a month they went home. It wasn't as cheap as they expected.

For me I don't care if it is more or less expensive here. I am generally pretty happy here and I enjoy being able to spend as I please.

Yeah, but to be fair, you (and co-worker) have been spoilt by the USA, where nobody knows how to do anything for themselves.

Cooking for yourself is very cheap in Thailand, you just have to switch ingredients a bit to take advantage of the differences in availability.

Apart from cheese and cheesecake, I don't believe there is much of anything I can't make cheaper in Thailand.

No big surprise though that a chorus of negative nellies have turned up already to tell you that some things are expensive, or that it's all rubbish. Thaivisa never lets us down.

yes/no. Some westerner's food are priced to be unaffordable even to myself with a good US retirement check. Cheese, potatoes, butter, pomelos, and many local fruits I just can't see how they justify those high prices. Beef, salmon,etc. etc.- The markets are a dump and quality of textile is shit. You have to buy middle of the range and for me Body Glove is about the middle. Textile Thai sizes, (even coat hangers) are for midgets. Bring your own hangers from your home country.

yes my friend, keep blabbering your mouth how cheap Thailand is and the merchants keep jacking up the prices on "farangs items" like french bread.

im still trying to get over the fact that he actually wears bodyglove (is this 1985?) and cant find a clothes hanger that fits.

Edited by HooHaa
  • Like 2

im still trying to get over the fact that he actually wears bodyglove (is this 1985?) and cant find a clothes hanger that fits.

Bodyglove underwear is available in Tesco Lotus, 150bht for 3 pair.

If he can't fit in them, he must be massive.

So, lose some weight, get a bit of pride in your appearance.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

pork and eggs are expensive, can't you raise pigs and keep some chicken? tongue.png

• Like 1

pork and eggs are expensive, can't you raise pigs and keep some chicken? tongue.png

Got pet ducks, eggs are free.

They lay more than I can eat, was only keeping them as pets, didn't expect so many eggs.

Is pork expensive?

Paid 100bht for a joint of pork at the weekend, nice roast will last about 10 meals, doesn't seem expensive.

• Like 1

Thailand:

Property taxes = 0 baht

auto registration = 1025 baht

5 year driver's license = 700? baht

parking fees = 0 baht

parking tickets = 0 baht

weedcutter repair = 40 baht

lawnmower repair = 100 baht

countertop oven repair = 40 baht

refrigerator repair (change freon) = 900 baht

haircut = 50 baht

10 gallon bottle of water = 12 baht

pork = 140/kl

chicken breast meat = 80 baht/kilo

large shrimp = 260 baht/kilo

squid = 140-180 baht/kilo

home grown mangos in season = free

home grown bananas year round = free

home grown lamut in season = free

home grown papayas year round = free

bamboo shoots in season = free

electric bill (no air) = 1200 baht/month

cell phone = 300 baht/month

mail letter within Thailand = 3 baht

mail letter overseas = 19 to 28 baht

dental checkup and cleaning = 800 baht

dental crown and root canal = 10,000 baht

vet bill for neutering = 900 baht

vet bill for infected bite wound = 900 baht

3.5 hour bus trip = 165 baht

No way living in the US is cheaper that Thailand.

Let me add a few just to help you out

Having your weed cutter (or anything you get repaired in Thailand) explode in your face=free

Compensation= they fix it again, heaven forbid they have to give you the 40 Baht back!

Pesticides in the fruit, vegetables= also free

Price of filters/system they use to clean your 12 Baht water= free (well, a one time fee- but after that they never change them)

Silver Nitrate and other lovely chemicals and bacteria at up to 100 times safe levels in your water from those overused filters/systems=free

Cost of food and drug administration employees and building inspectors= who knows- but they are way to scarred shitless to do their jobs

Cost of problems created by FDA employees and building inspectors= one bullet per person after they let the secrets out

Cost of running into a tree they jammed into a missing sewer cover that was stolen= free

Cost of hormones and who knows what else in the meat you eat=free

Property taxes=zero

Public Libraries, Schools, Police, and quality roads that property taxes are supposed to pay for= non-existent, hopeless, corrupt, and dangerous

Getting flattened by a Thai driver that's jacked up on meth= free

Compensation to your family from their insurance= enough for a Big Mac and fries

Having the cops blame you!=free

Cost of rental car given by 1st class insurance company while you wait 3 months for your car to be fixed= zero because they won't give you one

Anyone that lives here knows that in order to get a few cheap bits we do essentially risk everything. It's a gamble mate! And if that risk is fair compensation for the few pieces of fruit you might snatch off of a tree, well then good on ya.

:)

Big Bobby

I find my wife costs almost as much to keep here as she did in the UK ,bags ,shoes ,new clothes ,lucky she has a good job and earns good wages ,"every little helps"smile.png

does she give you any of her wages if so do tell me how you manage to squeeze it out of her ;)

attachicon.gifzx.jpg

American restaurants don't offer big Maine Lobster with steak because the price would be obscene. Portland's Hawthorne lobster house 2 pound lobster $80. A decent steak at Morton's or Cris"s $50.

So steak and big Maine lobster would be $130. with no drink or tip. Now if you mean grass fed beef from down under and slipper tails imported from Thailand the price is more in your range.

I have no idea what you're talking about and I have no idea where you get that thinking. I googled the menu for a large national seafood chain that's near me. It's The Red Lobster. I can't give a link because you have to search by zip code and the site is written in .ASP and won't track back.

I highlighted in the red box where you can add a Maine lobster tail to any meal for $11.49. It's not a Thai lobster. I couldn't find the menu for steak and lobster so I found lobster, salmon steak, and shrimp. Australian beef? I live in the heart of American beef country. I grew up on a 4,000 acre wheat and cattle ranch. I know beef.

This would also be sanitary in a very nice and clean and safe American restaurant.

My favorite restaurant is cheaper than this and I live in a state with no sales (vat) tax. Google Red Lobster Restaurant and enter any zip code that's not an expensive city such as NY or SF where you're paying for the rent.

post-164212-0-48525400-1424369133_thumb.

Edited by NeverSure

I realise this is now a 'Thailand vs USA' cost of living discussion, but many of the same points are made when people start eyeing off Cambodia as an alternative to the LOS, and the greenback seems to go a very long way there. I had some chicken here in Pattaya last night that I bought from a street vendor - as I do frequently - and I only reflected on the fact that I take basic levels of hygiene for granted in Thailand when I read this on a blog:

Food
Profound intestinal and stomach discomfort is just part of life in Phnom Penh. Any expat discussion will invariably segue into horrifying bathroom-and-barf stories once you’ve got a few drinks in you. This is something you need to accept. Still, there are some food guidelines to follow:
Don’t eat the street food. Rules may be bent on this one if you are with a Khmer person you are reasonably sure likes you. I sometimes eat street noodles, but my stomach is cast in iron, and I’ve still regretted it once or twice. Donuts and fruit are usually OK.
If you have a choice, pick the restaurant with air conditioning. There seems to be a correlation between AC and cleanish food.
I've had food poisoning here in Pattaya just once, and it lasted roughly 30 or so hours. That's once in 18 years of visiting this town along with BKK and other parts of Thailand. On my one and only visit to Pnomh Penh, I contracted something which I was convinced was going to kill me - I was projectile vomiting at one end and crapping at the other in spasms that gripped me from my neck to my lower abdomen, and in both cases it was as black and nasty as any organic matter I've ever seen. 48 hours later I gingerly emerged from my hotel room to find something I could keep down - from memory, that was plain rice for the next day or so.
It wasnt even street food (I knew better than to risk that) I'm reasonably sure that it was breakfast that I'd eaten in a 3-star hotel restaurant earlier that day : interestingly enough, al fresco facing the street with no aircon. Or perhaps I flushed the toilet without putting the lid down, potentially contaminating my toothbrush - neither of these have ever been something I've had to spend my days obsessing over in Thailand. I brush my teeth with the water here and I've even used it to make noodles with no ill effects - I wouldn't risk either in PP regardless of subsequent reports re improved water quality.
Others may have a very different story to tell, but for me Thailand isnt just cheap, it's reasonably safe from an intestinal POV and I find that particularly remarkable in a country where the drains periodically smell like sewers. Its easy to take hygiene for granted until you're on your knees retching into a toilet bowl - as always, YMMV.
(FWIW, I never suffered food poisoning in over 50 years of eating anything and everything in Oz or other parts of Asia - diarrhea was as bad as it got and being poisoned was a profound shock to my system. Luck of the draw - perhaps, but I must have had a very lucky 18 years visiting Thailand)

attachicon.gifzx.jpg

I have no idea what you're talking about and I have no idea where you get that thinking. I googled the menu for a large national seafood chain that's near me. It's The Red Lobster. I can't give a link because you have to search by zip code and the site is written in .ASP and won't track back.

I highlighted in the red box where you can add a Maine lobster tail to any meal for $11.49. It's not a Thai lobster. I couldn't find the menu for steak and lobster so I found lobster, salmon steak, and shrimp. Australian beef? I live in the heart of American beef country. I grew up on a 4,000 acre wheat and cattle ranch. I know beef.

This would also be sanitary in a very nice and clean and safe American restaurant.

My favorite restaurant is cheaper than this and I live in a state with no sales (vat) tax. Google Red Lobster Restaurant and enter any zip code that's not an expensive city such as NY or SF where you're paying for the rent.

attachicon.giflob.jpg

Sorry, we have a terminology problem. Large lobster is not a 1 lb chicken lobster and I didn't know that Oregon was in the middle of was the heart of American beef country. You do live in Oregon don't you?

Lobster tails are about $3.00 each at the fresh seafood market in Thailand and Kobe beef/Wagyu is available and as good as American beef but in reality you are talking about the Davos argument. The price of Swiss cheese in Davos does not make Davos less expensive than Thailand to live.

Americans’ single biggest expense is housing. Low-earning groups tend to spend more proportionally on shelter than top earners, but on the whole, the average American household spends about one third of their yearly budget on the roof over their heads. That’s a more than 100% increase since 1960, when Americans spent just 14.6% of their budget on housing.

http://www.forbes.com/2006/07/19/spending-income-level_cx_lh_de_0719spending.html

The average American in Thailand that I know spends half his income on women and booze and 10% on food and lodging. It depends on how you want to spend your retirement. You can spend your time loading bullets and dreaming about survival skills or ride an unsafe motor scooter with an even less safe Thai lady or two clinging to your rear bumper. Up to you.

Got pet ducks, eggs are free.

They lay more than I can eat, was only keeping them as pets, didn't expect so many eggs.

Is pork expensive?

Paid 100bht for a joint of pork at the weekend, nice roast will last about 10 meals, doesn't seem expensive.

i envy you AoA! had ducks in another country and enjoyed my daily breakfast eggs (those which the crows or other animals didn't get first). tried several times duck eggs bought in Thailand but didn't like the taste.

you can't get a haircut for 50 baht in Bkk these days, it's 60 baht, bloody outrageous biggrin.png

Lucky you jacky...here on Samui it costs me Bht 100.

Why are paying 100 baht when you could be paying 60 baht? tongue.png

I pay 300b - it's still only 6 quid - Way cheaper than home. My hairdresser saves his cash and every year takes a 2 week course in London to improve himself.

For 50b you get a two-week hair cut - just wait 2 weeks and it will look acceptable.

• Like 1

I guess my point is that if you're working in America, and you're NOT working in Thailand, it's just as cheap RELATIVE TO YOUR INCOME.

If you're not working in America, you can't afford a house payment, rent, going out to eat, traveling, etc.

My house payment in America: $0. Utility costs in America: $0. Yet, when I'm not working, I dip into my savings.

Here, in Thailand, I am saving $100 a week, on a modest income of $375/week. That includes eating out about 10 x per week. Usually I eat the 40B noodle soups, but occasionally we splurge at the cook your own food hot pot places, for about $26 for two people.

In America, I love going to the $1.25 a taco places, but that's not really healthy to do everyday...

NeverSure

1. The post office doesn't steal things out of my mail in my home country.

During the reporting period from October 2012, through September 30, 2013, OIG special agents conducted 1,514 internal mail theft investigations, resulting in 339 arrests, 854 administrative actions, and approximately $350,000 in monetary benefit for the Postal Service. For additional investigative statistics,

2. I wouldn't drink that dodgy water at any price.

Study Finds Safety of Drinking Water in U.S. Cities at Risk

researched, documented and peer-reviewed study of the drinking water systems of 19 U.S. cities, found that pollution and deteriorating, out-of-date plumbing are sometimes delivering drinking water that might pose health risks to some residents.

http://www.nrdc.org/water/drinking/uscities.asp

3. In my home country my electrical can't kill me. It's grounded (earthed.)

Electrocution in the workplace is the most common cause of electrical death in the United States. Over 400 people die each year on their job sites from accidental electrocution. Another 500 people die in house fires caused by electricity.

http://www.electricshock.org/electrical-safety.html

Are you not getting just a little bit silly with your dislike for Thailand Neversure------ no one would expect it to be up to the standards of some western countries. but if this place irks you that much....why do you live on the forum.....

Statistics can be made to prove anything-

In this case they prove that people will say just about anything to defend Thailand

1) If you are going to use numbers you need to use a frequency analysis in relation to the inversely proportional populations of the two countries. How many people were arrested or cases investigated in the US means ZERO. The west investigates- the East often does not. There are literally dozens of other variables, when considered, render your statistic worthless.

The only salient feature (or statistic) is, which country has a higher frequency of stolen/lost parcels? Not per capita but per amount of people that actually use the mail service.

and I think we all know the answer to that.

2) "out of date plumbing" and "sometimes delivering drinking water that might pose health risks" ?????

Removing Lead (or deteriorating) water pipes are the owners responsibility-

then we have "sometimes" and a "might". How about, "always" Western media "always" makes much ado about nothing.

but at least there are agencies/organizations that actually check the water- unlike places in some parts of Asia

3) And then you quote "electrocution in the workplace"

Exactly how many Farangs do you think "work" in Thailand?

and last but not least...."House fires"

Houses made of cement and/or corrugated sheet metal don't burn

Like Thailand or dislike it. It's all the same to me, but using statistics in the way you have? A Thai Prathom 3 student could do a much better job, and if that's true, it actually proves that Thailand is cheaper. Because your western education probably cost far more!

b

Edited by bobthomas

With the exception of education, anything that require paying someone to provide a service or do something for you (build/clean/fix/rub) is way cheaper in Thailand, but often to a lesser quality.

Everything else is pretty much the same.

My electricity, phone, internet and grocery bill are almost identical between Thailand and Australia. Some things a bit more, others a bit less.

Some people say anything to defend Thailand. Lots of people here will say anything to condemn it.

The truth lies somewhere between. But nobody seems very interested in that.

Well said Mista biker, well said.

Absolutely well said- in an earlier post I suggested these threads should be banned- what have we got- pages concerning the price of haircuts and lobsters- it's just SO boring

• Like 1