Thailand is soooo cheap compared to back home

davidst01

Just look at the cost of those communal coin washing machines here - 40 Baht!

But don't worry, here's another of my Super Thai Saver Tips for Farangs - How to Stay Clean for Free - that you may have missed first time around:

Come washday, carry your basket of dirty clothes down to a conveniently out of the way, dim spot near the laundry room. Wait until another resident loads up their washing and starts the machine, then leaves for the duration of the cycle. When they are safely out of sight, quickly open the top of the machine and insert your own dirty laundry.

As long as you make sure to withdraw you own washing between the penultimate and ultimate spin cycles, you will have not only saved the 40 Baht cost, but an extra few Baht on that not inexpensive washing powder!

More tips soon.

Thai saving tip #2. go around all the ATM's collecting the receipts and use them for butt cleaner, they can be recycled too !

Edited by I say

I do have to give credits for this to Thailand and Thai people.

Thais have the skill to get a job done for real low price..Even if you compare it with other Asian countries often Thailand has the lowest price.

Hair cuts,dinners,massages,hotels...

Maybe somehow thais are less profit minded then farangs,as in farang countries all is heavily overpriced..

Thais have a skill to stay and maintain low on their selling prices ,

Thais deserve credit for this... smile.png

every job done is unsatisfactory, every Thai has 2 or 3 jobs (peddling something, skimming some one) and a GF/wife milking the farangs, that's how the cope.

Edited by I say

groceries can be VERY expensive in Thailand if you want something that is not part of the basic needs of Thai people. And I am not talking about imported goods, I am talking about products made in Thailand. one example, a 225 gr block of (local) butter costs double of what I would pay in my home country. And yes, sorry, while I do eat Thai food too, butter is still part of MY daily basic needs. A tiny cup of (locally made !) cottage cheese costs 4 times as much as in my home country. On the other hand, I don't get a 1$/ lunch in my home country when eating out....

lives are cheaper here.

smiling is getting more expensive here.

msg is more affordable here

sugar in food is more accessible here

attentive judiciary is more expensive here

Thailand:

Property taxes = 0 baht

auto registration = 1025 baht

5 year driver's license = 700? baht

parking fees = 0 baht

parking tickets = 0 baht

weedcutter repair = 40 baht

lawnmower repair = 100 baht

countertop oven repair = 40 baht

refrigerator repair (change freon) = 900 baht

haircut = 50 baht

10 gallon bottle of water = 12 baht

pork = 140/kl

chicken breast meat = 80 baht/kilo

large shrimp = 260 baht/kilo

squid = 140-180 baht/kilo

home grown mangos in season = free

home grown bananas year round = free

home grown lamut in season = free

home grown papayas year round = free

bamboo shoots in season = free

electric bill (no air) = 1200 baht/month

cell phone = 300 baht/month

mail letter within Thailand = 3 baht

mail letter overseas = 19 to 28 baht

dental checkup and cleaning = 800 baht

dental crown and root canal = 10,000 baht

vet bill for neutering = 900 baht

vet bill for infected bite wound = 900 baht

3.5 hour bus trip = 165 baht

No way living in the US is cheaper that Thailand.

I hope the neutering didn't hurt to much, you really should have gone to a doctor or hospital.

so you got bitten in the nuts and chewed off? she'll be happy.....

its fare to say if you want or have to live like a Thai in the back of beyond it is very cheap to live, however I live in pattaya city and live like I would in the uk my car 2 times the price, my house same price as uk.

food I buy steak ,cheese, bacon. sausages, lamb same price or more expensive. electricity and water same price or more expensive.

groceries can be VERY expensive in Thailand if you want something that is not part of the basic needs of Thai people. And I am not talking about imported goods, I am talking about products made in Thailand. one example, a 225 gr block of (local) butter costs double of what I would pay in my home country. And yes, sorry, while I do eat Thai food too, butter is still part of MY daily basic needs. A tiny cup of (locally made !) cottage cheese costs 4 times as much as in my home country. On the other hand, I don't get a 1$/ lunch in my home country when eating out....

Just ask yourself why ?

Where does butter and cheese come from ? - cows !

How many dairy farms have you seen in Thailand ?

It is all about supply and demand.

Butter, cheese, milk etc are not part of a Thai's diet so why would they bother producing great quantities of it ? (which would in turn reduce costs to the consumer).

The only people who actually buy these products are farang or westernized Thai's.

Same goes for those complaining about getting a decent steak.

When was the last time you saw any prime beef cattle in Thailand ? - I have been here 6 years now and I could count them on one hand.

Chicken, Fish, Pork and Rice are the major components of the Thai diet.

Try doing a comparison of the cost of 1 kg of Chicken, Fish, Pork and Rice in New York, London, Berlin, Sydney etc and that will give you a better indication of one aspect of the cost of living in Thailand.

If you want to continue to live a Western lifestyle whilst residing in Thailand be prepared to pay more for certain food items.

Here we go again ...

Yes, food is cheap if you are prepared to eat the most commonly available food in Thailand

Yes, beer CAN be cheap if you are prepared to drink Thai beers (including those brewed in Thailand under licence) and can be reasonably selective about where you buy said beer

Yes, you can live here relatively cheaply if that is your goal.

My issue with the OP is that anything you need to send out of Thailand that is larger than an A4 document is going to cost you a serious amount of money. Sent a small package - 0.6kg - to the US via DHL recently and it cost me 3820 baht. OK - 16500 insurance, and others swear by EMS for overseas deliveries, but I couldnt afford for the package to magically disappear and EMS has a poor reputation for tracking and some claim they've lost multiple consignments. My package was in the US on time and the recipient is happy but anyone doing this regularly needs to know what they are up against - you wont be sending too many prams to the UK.

We constantly revisit this, usually when someone is making blue sky claims about the cost of living in Cambodia or the PI etc - push comes to shove, anyone who comes here without realising that trying to live like they never left home is going to find Thailand an expensive country and is better off never leaving home. Australia is ridiculously expensive for many grocery items, but I'll put the beef and dairy on offer in most Australian supermarkets up against anything I've had here - dont even get me started on NZ lamb - but ultimately is that what I came here for ? Thankfully, I'm not yet at the stage where I sit on Soi Buakhow with the stereotypical Chang lamenting inflation and dual pricing in Thailand. Life is too short - carpe diem.

Edited by MrWorldwide
  • Like 1

Thailand is very, very cheap, comparing with most countries in the world in what offers for the money...but...if I wants to live here just eating like in Italy, will be very expensive...starting with its pizza. I have to say that I miss my good liter of wine every day, the prosciutto, salamis, and the cheese on my table, but I am learning to like the curries and Thai salads, and specially the tropical fruits and herbs that are very expensive in Italy.

Anyway...Here I do not need a Ferrari to impress women. Thai women are priceless!....My wife in particular is a super special hot edition..and with a lot easier and cheaper maintenance requirements than an Italian Prima Donna....and a Ferrari.

Edited by Muzarella
  • Like 2

You cant cherry pick. Each person needs to size up their own lifestyle in both places.

As a rule, Thailand still is cheaper. But it is cheaper, not necessarily a better value for some.

Dental is still great here. Medical is both a scam and a horror show, better to self diagnose.

Thailand is one of a handful of countries where cuisine is excellent, if you do not avail bcz of tastiness snd value - if you are stuck on breadband potato, that is your problem.

Costs in Bangkok are approaching anything elsewhere in SEA and even Korea and Japan.

Many, many items in US are much cheaper now in US even despite strong dollar abroad. Alcoholnis ridiculous as its restrictions positively juvenile.

It should not duprise anyone if they want to live in aircon bliss and gorge themselves on fatty western foods, that you will pay the same or more here.

In the end, all single men are here for prostitutes - younger wo/men. So its really funny to read all this. Only people going back home are those tgat sinply dislike the place, totally lonely to speak your mother tongue and be with like minded petsons, sinply cannot adjust to food, found the women here are like wo/men everywhere. Finally, solid married people going back to give the wife a shot at something.

But mostly - its sex. All the single men are here fir sex snd as we have seen with recent vusa situation, its impossible to pry them away with even banishment.

I have to keep going back to getting a massage, one of the simplest pleasures I know... An hour or two of relaxing while someone lays on the hands... Back in the USSA, I wouldn't indulge often because starting at roughly $65 per hour, I didn't think I was getting a value for my $$$... At roughly $5 per hour, I do and go often now...

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Lots of stuff IS cheaper in Thailand, but poor quality and inferior, builders and prostitutes to name but two.

never tried either but from what i see you're probably right

Got the two examples mixed up once i think.

Or maybe the builder scrubbed up well for his night job?

Whatever, embarrassing................................sad.png

tongue.png

Thailand:

Property taxes = 0 baht

parking fees = 0 baht

parking tickets = 0 baht

haircut = 50 baht

pork = 140/kl

Property taxes = 0 baht

In the States, we don't have to pay for the school, and our roads don't destroy our expensive vehicles in two years.

got tags for my '66 chevy for $18, but yes, the tags for my new Honda were just over $270.

6 year Texas license renewal: $22

parking fees = 0 baht

Trat charges 20 baht; lots of places have fees

parking tickets = 0 baht

say what? cheesy.gif

my Husqvarna never broke down

same

mine's built-in, never broke down

never needed that either, Sub-Zeros don't leak

haircut = 50 baht

got me there, but my wife is a stylist

I've seen the filtering system they use for those. No thanks.

pork = 140/kl

loin on sale today at Smith's $2.19/pound (146 baht)

whole chicken for .99/pound

jumbo (7-10/pound) t Smith's on sale every week $6.99. And they are wild caught, not farmed in toxic waste.

you win

peaches, same

pears and peaches and apples and cherries, same

bleeech

avocados, same

got me there

3 bdrm/2 bath house $62 last month, but I'm guessing it's more because it does not go out for hours at a time?

I pay ten $15/month at T-Mobile and all my calls to Thailand (and 65 other countries) are free

in seven years I had a cleaning every three months, only one was worth having. The rest were a waste of money. Yes, yes, I know, all yours were outstanding.

yep, much cheaper

pick up a pet at the Humane Society, it's $10 (300 baht)

pick a pet up at many county animal shelters, it's often free

not typically necessary in the States, as dogs don't roam free and get in fights

yes, but a good life insurance policy will add quite a bit to that cost

Edited by HeijoshinCool
  • Like 1

"Well go on what's the average wage in Thailand?

Average wage in Australia is maybe 40k. Take 25% tax. "

Not for quite a few years !!

"According to Seeks annual Salary Review, the average salary in Australia in the 12 months to June 2014 is $79,767. Buts thats down 3.2 per cent from the previous year."

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_countries_result.jsp?country1=Thailand&country2=United+States

You can customize the pull down menus to fit your needs.

For me, it's not even close as I live in the SF Bay Area.

I will be returning to CM in 18-24 months for good.

I'm 55 years old, don't drink or smoke and will have a monthly income of a little under $1800 a month USD

That would be tough to live on in the US and it would not be in a good area. In CM, I can live on that amount per month and live quite well.

A nicely furnished, western style Condo north of the Moat will run about $275 on average.

Check out Doi Mansion and other places like it.

I will also have a couple of three Million Baht in the bank as well. I would burn thru that money in two/three years, if that, here in the states.

I plan to live in CM for one year minimum to get a handle on my real world expenses and then perhaps, move further South but I like CM except during burning season.

I can also afford to take "mini vacations" every few months for a week or two to the tourist areas in Thailand, or even just leave CM for a couple of months during burning season.

Either way, Thailand is by far one of the best "bang for the buck" retirement destinations in the world.

I'm 55 years old, don't drink or smoke and will have a monthly income of a little under $1800 a month USD

That would be tough to live on in the US and it would not be in a good area. In CM, I can live on that amount per month and live quite well.

Well, I guess if you have lived and worked forty years and have only the $1800 per month, and no assets or savings, yes, it could be tough.

Edited by HeijoshinCool
  • Like 1

Thailand:

Property taxes = 0 baht

parking fees = 0 baht

parking tickets = 0 baht

haircut = 50 baht

pork = 140/kl

Property taxes = 0 baht

In the States, we don't have to pay for the school, and our roads don't destroy our expensive vehicles in two years.

got tags for my '66 chevy for $18, but yes, the tags for my new Honda were just over $270.

parking fees = 0 baht

parking tickets = 0 baht

say what? cheesy.gif

same

haircut = 50 baht

pork = 140/kl

jumbo (7-10/pound) t Smith's on sale every week $6.99. And they are wild caught, not farmed in toxic waste.

you win

peaches, same

pears and peaches and apples and cherries, same

bleeech

avocados, same

got me there

3 bdrm/2 bath house $62 last month, but I'm guessing it's more because it does not go out for hours at a time?

I pay ten $15/month at T-Mobile and all my calls to Thailand (and 65 other countries) are free

in seven years I had a cleaning every three months, only one was worth having. The rest were a waste of money. Yes, yes, I know, all yours were outstanding.

yep, much cheaper

not typically necessary in the States, as dogs don't roam free and get in fights

I had a good laugh at the post by Gecko123 as well.

Unfortunately they will beleive what they want, but many things (not everything) in the US really are cheaper than Thailand. Especially if you have families.

Cars, Gasoline, School costs, baby foods and necessities in addition to what you have mentioned. Also USA has many free things that thailand either doesn't have or charges for like public libraries.

Of course, if you live in a flea ridden studio apartment in Thailand, don't own a car, don't have children. eat street food, desperatetly need to eat tropical fruits and only purchase the poorer quality of stuff. Then yes, Thailand is cheaper. But who wants to live their life like that? You might as well move to Karachi if you cheapness interests you that much.

Edited by Time Traveller
  • Like 2

Property taxes

Gecko's response: Who pays for schools in the States? The fairy godmother?

The suspension on my 4 year old Iszuu pickup is fine. The roads where I live are in reasonably good repair. I recently read that it is going to cost something like a trillion dollars to repair all the deferred maintenance on the infrastructure in the US.

vehicle registration

Gecko's response: The apples-to-apples honest comparison would be your new Honda with my relatively new Iszuzu pickup, i.e., $30 dollars in Thailand vs $270 in Texas. My recollection is that renewal tags/smog test in CA is hundreds of dollars.

driver's license renewal

Gecko's response: I thought you were living in Utah. whistling.gif Three year license in CA is $33

parking charges

Gecko's response: Never paid a nickel to park in Thailand. 20 baht in Trat? cheesy.gif What's that for, 24 hours? You and I both know that in any major US city at a curbside meter or off-street parking facility you'd typically pay 20 baht at least every hour to park. More like $45.00 for 8 hours in SF or NYC.

parking tickets

say what? cheesy.gif

Gecko's response: you and I both know your chances of getting a parking ticket in Thailand is a million times lower in Thailand than in any major US city, and the fines for parking tickets in Thailand are a fraction of what they are in Thailand. I've never seen a parking meter in Thailand. Have you?

weedcutter repair

Gecko's response: What's your point? You and I know both know $1.25 to repair anything is unheard of in the US. What debate team were you a member of at school?

lawnmower repair

same

Gecko's response: see above

countertop oven repair

Gecko's response: see above coffee1.gif (Might want to consider availing yourself of the fine educational oportunities available in the US and enrolling in a debate or logic class at the local community college.

refrigerator repair

Gecko's response: coffee1.gif (Uwwwwww... a sub-zero! I'm jealous. Again... your debating/logic skills need a little work)

haircut

Gecko's response: This thread is about relative cost of living, not what our spouses do for a living. An honest response would have been nice. $15.00 an up to get your hair cut in the US, is a lot closer to the truth.

bottled water

Gecko's response: I've visited the local reverse osmosis water filtering facility where I live too. They change the filters daily.

pork

Gecko's response: Maybe so, but you can pay a lot more than that elsewhere whereas the Thai price of $140 - 160 baht/kilo is available almost everywhere.

chicken breast meat

Gecko's response: Why are you comparing the price for whole chicken to the price of more preferable chicken breast meat? I can recall paying 3.99/lb for chicken breast meat 13 years ago! That's 283 baht per kilo vs. 80 baht per kilo in Thailand!

shrimp

Gecko's response: Hate to break the news to you, but a large percentage of shrimp sold in the US is imported from SE Asia. Caught wild from where? The Gulf of Mexico? Like those shrimp beds weren't contaminated by the Deepwater Horizon oil spill. Give me a break.

squid

you win

Gecko:s response: A lot of the squid sold in America is imported from SE Asia as well.

home grown mangos, papayas, bananas = free

peaches, pears, peaches, apples, cherries, avocados, same

Gecko's response: I thought you lived in Utah. Did not know cherries and avocadoes were farmed in Utah. Are you suddenly a migrant worker following the fruit harvest from the Pacific NW down to southern California?

bleeech

Gecko's response: Waahhh! Get it away from me! It's, it's...it's...unfamiliar! Again, this debate is about relative cost of living, not your lack of appreciation for tropical fruit.

got me there

Gecko's response: bamboo shoots? It's...it's...it's....sooooo Asian! Get it away from me. Paula Dean!!!! Somebody call Paula Dean!!!! And tell her not to forget to bring the blackened catfish seasoning powder!

Gecko's response: What are you talking about? To heat a house in SLC or Idaho in the winter costs more than $62/month. Not to mention summertime air conditioning. Besides, what about Boston, Miami, Texas, Las Vegas, Cincinnati, Memphis, etc. You telling me your winter heating bill/summer air conditioning isn't more expensive that Thailand?

The power does sometimes go out here in Thailand. Most often for less than a few minutes. I'd say power goes out for more than an hour here no more than 3 times a year on average, rarely for more than a couple of hours.

Gecko's response: I'm basing my comparision on what I paid 12 years ago: $28.00 for a land line, $45 for cell phone. vs $9.40/month in Thailand today.

dental checkup and cleaning

Gecko's response: Does the term 'honest debate' mean anything to you? This is about relative living costs, not how often one should have their teeth cleaned. Jeeez.

dental crown and root canal

yep, much cheaper

vet bill for neutering

Gecko's response: There are free neutering services available in Thailand as well. The point is how much does it cost out of pocket when you have a vet neuter/spay your dog in the US?

vet bill for infected bite wound

Gecko's response: the point, Heiloshin, is that vet costs in general in Thailand are cheaper. I was not aware that dogs in the US never fight. I guess, according to you, people are wasting money on rabies shots too.

3.5 hour bus trip

Gecko's response:

If the US really was cheaper than Thailand, wouldn't you think there would be loads of Thais clammering to move there because it was less expensive? When is the last time you met a Thai who was interested in moving to the US because it was cheaper???

< sound of crickets > coffee1.gif

in USA you live under a bridge

In Thailand you live in a condo

in USA you live in your car

in Thailand you live In a 3 stars hotel.

in USA you are full of debt

in Thailand you are debt free.

in USA you are a millionaire

in Thailand you are a multimillionaire (around 32x)

And you're an idiot, regardless of your current location. Please dont trot out dated and useless cliches, particularly the part about people here being 'debt free' - utterly ridiculous unless you are talking cashed up retirees, most of whom had to pay off sizeable mortgages, cars etc back in their home countries before they'd amassed enough wealth to retire here.

• Like 1

I don't like the electrical system in America, particularly those WEAK 110 plugs. I much prefer the power you get with the 220s

Lets face it. Some things are so cheap in the LOS. Some examples...
1. Thai post office.... To send huge boxes anywhere in Thailand by tracking is really cheap. I posted a huge box with a heavy pram in it and it only cost thb140. It would have been around $40 back home
2. Water bills.... We have a 3 br home with 2 bathrooms. My water bill each month is 400 baht. Back home water is really expensive. I have a friend back home who said that he was paying $100 a month minimum on a 3 b/r house with same size family as me.
3. Electricity... My monthly electricity bills are extremely cheap at the moment thb 500 to 700 a month. We are not using the air con yet. Obviously it will be up in april but no where near the prices back home. My sister back home said that she had a bill of $600 a quarter during winter. Another friend in a medium size home says he walks around turning lights off etc in his house everyday to reduce the bills. His quarterly electricity bill was $900 but he has 4 kids.
Do you have any other examples

cheers

1. The post office doesn't steal things out of my mail in my home country.

2. I wouldn't drink that dodgy water at any price.

3. In my home country my electrical can't kill me. It's grounded (earthed.)

Next.