Bangkok: Traffic tickets in English planned for AEC integration at year end

webfact

Traffic tickets in English planned for AEC integration at year end

17-2-2558-15-18-29-wpcf_725x413.jpg

BANGKOK: - In preparation for the launch of the Asian Economic Community at the end of this year, the Metropolitan Police Bureau is to issue traffic tickets in English language as part of a two action plans for traffic police to cope with the new challenges.

Pol Maj-Gen Adul Narongsak, deputy commissioner of the MPU in charge of traffic affairs, said Tuesday that the plans include updating information about vehicles expected to enter Thailand from Asian member countries by coordinating with the Land Transport and Customs departments.

He said that foreign motorists will have their driving licences checked and tickets in English issued in case of traffic violations.

Also, he said the plan calls for the training of traffic police so that they will be able to communicate with the foreign motorists.

He, however, insisted that local and foreign motorists would be equally treated and equally punished if they break the law.

(Photo : Thai PBS File)

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/traffic-tickets-english-planned-aec-integration-yearend

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-02-17

"BANGKOK: - In preparation for the launch of the Asian Economic Community at the end of this year, the Metropolitan Police Bureau is to issue traffic tickets in English language as part of a two action plans for traffic police to cope with the new challenges."

What new challenges? They don't do anything now.

Will these new traffic tickets be written in English, or Tinglish?

"...the plan calls for the training of traffic police so that they will be able to communicate with the foreign motorists."

12 months down the line they'll be claiming the foreigners didn't understand English, as opposed to the Thais showing any competency. "It wasn't me, gov, it was the foreigner."

"He, however, insisted that local and foreign motorists would be equally treated and equally punished if they break the law."

A-ha! OK, it was all just a funny joke is all. Gosh you Thai bureaucrats and your fun sense of humour!

Will these new traffic tickets be written in English, or Tinglish?

Don't be daft. Since when did the Thais ever consult anyone to get a proper job done? With fingers in your ears to the rest of the world you can do anything.

In fact, the extent of the poor levels of Thai-sourced 'English' from menus to emergency directions might lead one to be surprised they give us work permits for shouting over a room full of socializing kids teaching English at all.

And if their kids are already too lost in Thainess to actually learn anything, the adult cops sure ain't going to be showing much in the way of language skills. More like they'll be drilled with a handful of phrases.

So now I will be able to read the infringement of "something missing on bike" for when I am next pulled over on my scooter. This was my infringement by Thong Lo police who initially carded me for "not being in the left lane" on Sukhumvit Road when the scooter was just one week old. That makes me feel so much more welcome.