Online uproar over two cyclists hanging bikes on BTS skytrain

Thaivisa News

Bangkok:- Social networkers, most of them Bangkokians, have strongly criticized two unidentified cyclists for hanging their bikes on straps of a BTS skytrain.

The uproar followed a post on the popular webboard site, Pantip.com, showing the two men standing in a carriage of a BTS train near their mountain bikes, which were hung from straps of the train. The post was made on Tuesday.

The picture showed that the two bikes hung in front of a door and the part of the carriage was empty.

The Pantip.com user said the incident happened when the train was approaching a terminal station and the train was almost empty.

The post was later shared by several Facebook users and some cyclist fan pages. Thai Rath Online also reported about the post and uproar. Morning news program of Channel 3 also reported about the uproar Wednesday.

Many Facebook users and Pantip.com users posted comments to attack the two cyclists, saying their behavior was extremely unacceptable.

Bicycle Trips, a Facebook fan page for cyclists, said the straps were not for holding a bike. The admin of the Bicycle Trip said the BTS train was not a place for anyone to do a prank. The admin said passengers, who enter the door at the next station, could hit the bikes and their head could be injured.

Many Bangkok cyclists expressed their concern that this kind of behavior would prompt BTS to ban boarding of bikes in the future.

The Bangkok Mass Transit System, which operates BTS trains, announced that the firm would consider taking legal actions against the two. It added that cyclists should be careful not to cause damage to the trains when they board their bikes and should avoid using the trains during rush hours.

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

scandal !!! hang them !! the bikes I mean ....

But driving drunk .... no problem, corruption .... no problem . Shall I go on ?

Will bringing a motorbike be OK. Pay ticket according to CC of engine?

And these same people would never complain about driving habits, corruption, teachers' attitude, lack of law enforcement etc. But the 2 hanging bicycles???? What a dangerous blokes. Hang them.

It's just sickening.

I agree damn it !! Never mind bikes hanging, hanging to good for these types , take 'em round the back of the nearest nick and give 'em a good drubbing.. Don't know what the place is coming to . I might have to write a letter to the Times .

'Many Bangkok cyclists expressed their concern that this kind of behavior would prompt BTS to ban boarding of bikes in the future.' They should anyway. The daft sods running BTS get their knickers in a twist over taking balloons onto carriages, but fully erected (non-dismantled) bikes, taking up the space of two passengers - presumably for the cost of one (or is it none?) - aren't considered an issue. They should be, because, without exception, they are a bloody nuisance.

• Like 2

I like bikes. Wish more people used them instead of cars....and no real harm done.

Perhaps some poor judgement. I suppose they could have just leaned them up next to the seats they were using.,,,if front of their knees. I would not object.

'I like bikes. Wish more people used them ...' Err ... are you being generous with the irony, or simply missing the whole point? They weren't using them.

...The picture showed that the two bikes hung in front of a door and the part of the carriage was empty...The picture showed that the two bikes hung in front of a door and the part of the carriage was empty...

There are no straps in front of the door.

• Like 1

Why is there never an uproar when train after train leaves the station with plenty of space inside the middle of the car but there are dozens of people left on the platform because they can't get inside with all the rude bastards blocking the entrence?

Edited by taony
  • Like 1