PM Prayut asks students to refrain from demanding immediate election

webfact

Prime minister asks students to refrain from demanding immediate election

BANGKOK, 19 February 2015 (NNT) – Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha on Wednesday called on students to refrain from demanding an immediate general election, and offered his greetings on the occasion of Chinese New Year.

General Prayut, who is also head of the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO), indicated that a general election will be held when all things were ready. He called on university student groups to refrain from demanding a general election at present, because one could not be held as of now. Student groups were also urged to express their views through appropriate channels.

Authorities were checking whether political groups were behind the movements of the students, according to Gen. Prayut.

On the same day, the prime minister offered his greetings to Thais of Chinese descent on the occasion of Chinese New Year, wishing them wealth, happiness and good health. He also called on the general public to give the government moral support not just criticisms.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-02-19 footer_n.gif

Some people on here were saying that the students were children and could do nothing. Looks like those little thorns are getting prickly, they have,and know how to use, the social media and can cause all sorts of problems. Other than "appropriate channels" of course.

Suthep's famous 'few good men' are up against it. At the moment they are asking through gnarled teeth, how dare those pesky student, to refrain from voicing an opinion different to the mantra. History shows us repeatedly that the RTA has no qualms about murdering its own people. The trouble is that any attempt to force people, akin to the Thammasart Massacre, will reign hell down on the RTA and a few million good people will take back the keys to the kingdom. Can anybody see another outcome which ends peacefully and all sides getting what they want?...I cant

• Like 1

Seems Thailand is where your told what to do by guys who have taken over?

I hope the students are passionate and do what they see as good for their country ...not what a guy with guns say it is.

500 Baht per vote is surely good, but maybe not for the country

The truth is that very few students have spoken out about disatisfaction with the present government. Most students are busy doing what students do best,,, studying..... There will always be a band of students, and usually the not so studious ones who will speak out against anything to do with authority. Remember back to my student days very well... wai2.gif Long live the King..

As long as the PDRC thinks they might lose an election, they will interfere to prevent an election -- once they are certain they have a good chance to win an election, by way of gerrymandering, centralization and a dilution of voter rights in areas they do not control, they were be a kangaroo election sponsored by a kangaroo court.

there was some humor in the article. " Authorities were checking whether political groups were behind the movements of the students".

These conformist loving students must be simply incapable of independent thought! It's 'THEM' again, surely....... whoever 'THEY' are...and easiest to identify, obviously, because they are not US.

It's US against THEM, and we have the guns and courts!

neither PDRC or PAD are parties that you can vote. So they won't win or loose an election.

That are anti-corruption, democracy movements with most of them very monarchist + advocating more direct democracy.

What you say is like "Greenpeace continue to interfere with the Japanese waling boats, because they can't win the elections in Japan"

Both Greenpeace and PDRC aren't parties you can vote for....

• Like 1

It is good to see passion by students. It reminds me off the passion they felt when they were protesting arm in arm with the PDRC last year.

I am sure they do understand that early elections could well lead to bloodshed again by the fanatical 7%. What would be worse is when they do have the election and the PTP do not win due to their proven waning popularity the majorities vote won't be accepted and bloodshed will occur by the same 7% minority.

This is why reform is needed.

It is good to see passion by students. It reminds me off the passion they felt when they were protesting arm in arm with the PDRC last year.

I am sure they do understand that early elections could well lead to bloodshed again by the fanatical 7%. What would be worse is when they do have the election and the PTP do not win due to their proven waning popularity the majorities vote won't be accepted and bloodshed will occur by the same 7% minority.

You think PTP will be allowed to stand for election?

You think PTP will be allowed to stand for election?

As long as the current incumbents have insured they cannot win,sure. And possibly under a different name?

Reasonably sure that the current pm will be "battling" it out under some banner or other.

They were probably not from the same universities. The ones protesting with the PDRC were from rich universities which had reorganised their course and examen schedules in order to allow students to go to protests.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

According to djjamie up above there is only a 'fanatical' 7% still loyal to the Shinwatras and PTP. If that is the case why doesn't the most popular PM in Thai history (tm djjamie) form a real political party and run for PM? He's so damn popular and every single Thai loves him so he'll win by one of the biggest landslides in political history surely? What is the hold up? He'll of been in 'office' for a year in just a few months time...

You misunderstand djjamie's post. He is saying that PTP will lose - that is no longer in doubt. He is saying that the problem is the subsequent bloodshed that will be initiated and instigated by the fanatical 7% minority and that is why reform (ie attitude adjustment) will first need to be performed on these 7% minority. These reforms will continue until the fanatical 7% becomes 0.00000%. At that point in time, elections can then be safely held without bloodshed.

• Like 1

Why should the students refrain from asking for immediate elections? After all the sooner the Thai Military is removed from power the sooner democracy can be installed and then hopefully they'll be some justice with the new gov filing charges of treason against the coup makers.

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

According to djjamie up above there is only a 'fanatical' 7% still loyal to the Shinwatras and PTP. If that is the case why doesn't the most popular PM in Thai history (tm djjamie) form a real political party and run for PM? He's so damn popular and every single Thai loves him so he'll win by one of the biggest landslides in political history surely? What is the hold up? He'll of been in 'office' for a year in just a few months time...

You misunderstand djjamie's post. He is saying that PTP will lose - that is no longer in doubt. He is saying that the problem is the subsequent bloodshed that will be initiated and instigated by the fanatical 7% minority and that is why reform (ie attitude adjustment) will first need to be performed on these 7% minority. These reforms will continue until the fanatical 7% becomes 0.00000%. At that point in time, elections can then be safely held without bloodshed.

Truly delusional. You think the General's tactics have endeared him to Thaksin's support base? They are seething & waiting for any chance to throw him out on his grumpy, undemocratic ass.

Do you mean these fanatics? Yes, they probably will cause bloodshed if the elections don't go their way.

_72700567_72700566.jpg

_72701062_lslnxbfp.jpgAnti-government protesters tried to block the delivery of ballot boxes

• Like 1

Truly delusional. You think the General's tactics have endeared him to Thaksin's support base? They are seething & waiting for any chance to throw him out on his grumpy, undemocratic ass.

I think he was making fun here my friend :lol:

• Like 1

What planet are you on? It is clear to every man and his dog that the voting majority of Thais would elect a Thaksinite government if a free and fair election were held today, tomorrow or anytime after that. What logic do you base your astoundingly clueless assumptions on? Every single major international publication is in complete disagreement with your bizarre understanding of events taking place in Thailand, what possesses you so forthrightly expound such inanities, my guess - ignorance

• Like 1

What planet are you on? It is clear to every man and his dog that the voting majority of Thais would elect a Thaksinite government if a free and fair election were held today, tomorrow or anytime after that. What logic do you base your astoundingly clueless assumptions on? Every single major international publication is in complete disagreement with your bizarre understanding of events taking place in Thailand, what possesses you so forthrightly expound such inanities, my guess - ignorance

The site here looses dozens of people a week while the propaganda fools pump out pro junta stuff.

Why bother even responding to them .?

Better things to do

The site here looses dozens of people a week while the propaganda fools pump out pro junta stuff.

Why bother even responding to them .?

Better things to do

Too true, but it truly beguiles ma as to how those people could allow themselves to be so detached from reality.