Vietnam Trip Report

AllanB

@AllenB said "we went there with US dollars, which turned out to be mistake."

Curious as to what the problem was with USD and how usable Thai baht is in Vietnam.

David

The mistake was that everywhere we went they wanted Dong (apart from an overpriced US hotel in Hanoi) and when we exchanged Baht for Dollars and then for Dong we got 650, had we gone there with "my Dong in my hand" we would have got close to 700.

If we tried to pay with dollars, some places wanted to allow us 500ish.

Oh, forget using any other currencies.

One thing to bear in mind, we spent most of the time in the sticks, or in the cities/towns using cheap hotels and eateries. I am a self confessed "Cheap Charlie" but I can afford 5 times as many holidays as "Loads o' money".

• Like 2

@AllenB said "we went there with US dollars, which turned out to be mistake."

Curious as to what the problem was with USD and how usable Thai baht is in Vietnam.

David

The mistake was that everywhere we went they wanted Dong (apart from an overpriced US hotel in Hanoi) and when we exchanged Baht for Dollars and then for Dong we got 650, had we gone there with "my Dong in my hand" we would have got close to 700.

If we tried to pay with dollars, some places wanted to allow us 500ish.

Oh, forget using any other currencies.

One thing to bear in mind, we spent most of the time in the sticks, or in the cities/towns using cheap hotels and eateries. I am a self confessed "Cheap Charlie" but I can afford 5 times as many holidays as "Loads o' money".

i travel with an atm card with a visa amblem on it. best is that and less risky.

Sounds great ., we did the north on a Russian Minsk a long while back but at this time of year. Sounds the same story, mud, roads still under construction, very few signs.

I think a long time ago it was good to carry dollars in VN but I remember getting a decent rate with 1000b notes last visit.

I hope there will be a day when we can ride our bikes through Laos and into Vietnam.

• Like 1

Your choice of bike was the right type but the wrong vintage.

For a few years, Honda Futures were manufactured in Japan while Honda was waiting for the factory to be built in Vietnam. Those bikes were fantastic - I was even offered $1,000 by Vietnamese guys for a 5 year old Honda Future back in 2011. Futures that were built in Vietnam did not have the build-quality of the Japanese.

You can put a windscreen on them - while fuel consumption goes up. the rain stays off, as does the dirt and water from the roads.

It was always difficult to ensure that quality parts were being put on the bike - we used to buy the parts new from Honda in Hanoi and then stand over the mechanic while he put them on.

Alternatively, if you want to spend a bit more, a Honda off-road single pot 250cc is a great bike - there are various versions and they used to be hard to find in Vietnam. I had an imported Honda 230cc single pot which was a beaut and ran really well for years. however, it was always hard to get parts, especially brake pads. With the Future, parts were never a problem.

Your choice of bike was the right type but the wrong vintage.

For a few years, Honda Futures were manufactured in Japan while Honda was waiting for the factory to be built in Vietnam. Those bikes were fantastic - I was even offered $1,000 by Vietnamese guys for a 5 year old Honda Future back in 2011. Futures that were built in Vietnam did not have the build-quality of the Japanese.

You can put a windscreen on them - while fuel consumption goes up. the rain stays off, as does the dirt and water from the roads.

It was always difficult to ensure that quality parts were being put on the bike - we used to buy the parts new from Honda in Hanoi and then stand over the mechanic while he put them on.

Alternatively, if you want to spend a bit more, a Honda off-road single pot 250cc is a great bike - there are various versions and they used to be hard to find in Vietnam. I had an imported Honda 230cc single pot which was a beaut and ran really well for years. however, it was always hard to get parts, especially brake pads. With the Future, parts were never a problem.

To be honest we should have rented, or even bought a bigger bike and ventured high into the mountains, but I had a few concerns.

This was my first bike trip abroad with very little information to go on, so playing safe reliability was the key. My missus was a little unsure, so I didn't want to throw her in at the deep-end, or she may not do it again, or even divorce me (just kidding) and I know it is always more scary as a pillion passenger.

I watched Ed March's C90 adventures on Youtube and that made a whole lot of sense to me, much better than the two showbiz <deleted> on their big macho Beemas falling all over the place and needing the help of 3 people just to lift them back up, that was ridiculous. Those bikes are for touring Europe, or similar.

I also have quite a few more trips planned, in Laos, Malaysia and Myanmar...oh and Mae Hong Song loop in a few weeks, so it is "slowly slowly catchy monkey" with the missus, no offence dear.

One bike I really like is the Baja 250, I expect there is a lot wrong with it, especially the ones they rent out in Laos, but is just seems right for the job, a kind of "Dakar bike for wimps"...... and with twin headlamps, so in the dark they think you are a car and give you space. I am sure someone will point out the error of my ways, but I will try one out in Laos.

Thank you for writing and publishing your inspirational story.

Hey, I'm a billionaire, I can do that. Well in Dong at least.

I have long thought that the huge 'adventure' bikes are a bit silly in this sort of environment. Whatever whizzo gadgets they may have cannot compensate for the adverse effects of the weight once the going gets tough. And somehow I doubt the local bike shops are going to be plugging their laptop into your ECU to do some diagnostics.

Maybe a Wave with knobblies would be the weapon of choice.

• Like 2

I have long thought that the huge 'adventure' bikes are a bit silly in this sort of environment. Whatever whizzo gadgets they may have cannot compensate for the adverse effects of the weight once the going gets tough. And somehow I doubt the local bike shops are going to be plugging their laptop into your ECU to do some diagnostics.

If there were a way of extending the suspension travel of a Wave and fitting decent gas shockers, but keeping everything else the same, it would be ideal. I also wonder about all the weight people carry of these trips, much of it are the tools and spares needed for these big bikes and all the armour protection needed for when they are booting down the motorway between getting bogged down for days in the sticks.

They wouldn't need to go so fast, if they hadn't spent so much time getting out of a swap, or waiting for their mates to arrive to get the bike upright again, or finding a splint for their broken leg. The two showbiz limeys would have got there quicker on a lighter bike, but it wouldn't have looked so macho.

Excluding the clothes were were wearing, we had only around 15kg between us in VN and that could have been less, with quick dry thermals, instead of shirts.

Actually trips to the cold places require most gear and this guy managed it easily on his C90.

It is hard to image how this trip would be faster on a big Bemma, even assuming no spills.

• Like 1

I think it also depends on the kind of "adventure" that one wants to do. Sticking to paved roads and civilisation is one thing, planning most of one's ride off road and camping is another. One needs the right "tool" for the job.

Great write up so far AllanB. Waiting for the next instalment.

Edited by Gweiloman

inspires me to quit my job and do a Himalayan tour through India, Nepal followed by a a full tour of All Southeast Asia through Myanmar, Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, Indonesia and Malaysia.

or to do a round the world trip!

inspires me to quit my job and do a Himalayan tour through India, Nepal followed by a a full tour of All Southeast Asia through Myanmar, Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, Indonesia and Malaysia.

You want inspiration ll2? Read this

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?s=7ce35393737ecaa270250f85057c5cd7&t=834987

• Like 1

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?s=7ce35393737ecaa270250f85057c5cd7&t=834987

that is a great journey too, sure it is also very demanding.

world is full of inspirations!

i just need sponsors then:)

that is a great journey too, sure it is also very demanding.

world is full of inspirations!

i just need sponsors then:)

Not if you do it on a Wave or C90. In 16 days we spent just over US$1000 for both of us....or about 32 million dong. Could have done in even cheaper, but you know what a spendthrift a woman can be.

If I have in any way inspired someone to get out there, that's very gratifying. There are so many places to go, my "bucket list" is on page two now and as with the film, that's the way I want to go.....in about 25 years time. I have already kissed the most beautiful girl in the world, but I won't post that photo, they don't like jubnoi in public here.

I have to say I felt fitter when I got back, no problem with my arthritic knee ( a bit if shrapnel still in there) and my bronchitis was fine too despite the road pollution.

Anyway I hope to read some more stuff from others, maybe a little more adventurous than ours....Don't wait it is going to be hot soon and then wet.

• Like 1

I think it also depends on the kind of "adventure" that one wants to do. Sticking to paved roads and civilisation is one thing, planning most of one's ride off road and camping is another. One needs the right "tool" for the job.

Great write up so far AllanB. Waiting for the next instalment.

I think Ed March would take issue with you there and having seen a few of his videos, I would concur. He is currently riding from northern Alaska to the southern tip of Argentina on his old C90, accompanied by his GF on hers. Done a lot of other stuff too.

People do these journeys on horseback, on pushbikes and even walk, so a C90 would be a doddle.

Travelling light is the key to success, on 2 wheels, 4 wheels, or even 4 hooves, especially when the going gets tough.

I once competed in the Ladoga Trophy in Russia and the Quads walked it, the little Suzukis and Ladas skipped it, but the big stuff got bogged a lot, as did I in my LR90.

is there a better used bike that is made in Vietnam to buy ?

I know Honda made trail 90s with the same motor ,

But you really need something that is a common bike so you can get it fixed on the spot ,

I really enjoyed your journey , I also enjoyed the Top gear special but they had a crew of 20-30 so had a lot of back-up

The bikes in VN are much the same as Thailand, but not many big bikes, i.e. over the usual 100-125cc step throughs. This means having a bigger bike serviced anyway, especially in the countryside, isn't going to happen.

They may change you oil...maybe, but I can't see them doing anything else, communism is relenting but is still the philosophy there. My view of that is that you either drive a commoners bike or you have a lot of money and have the Ducati parked in the driveway to impress...see photo taken at the hotel in Hue, belonging to the hotel owner.

post-103189-0-27839700-1424486642_thumb.

The other problem is that if you get one that has been used for touring it may not have been serviced during the rental period and may have been ragged too. We did two oil changes one at the start and one in Hanoi and I think it needed it.

We met up with 3 big lads from Brum and they said their bikes, purchased in Saigon, were constantly falling to bits.....One guy did hit two potholes in quick succession and hit the tarmac after the second, so they were a bunch of Likely Lads. A good laugh too.

Remember I am one person, hiring in DaNang and talking to only a few others, at the end of the day, carry out a decent bike inspection and go for what you think will work for you. If you are unsure, hire it for a day and give it a good hard run, you can also use that bike to take you around and look at others and compare. Either way, take your time deciding, it can be a long, long, long walk if you get it wrong, something I couldn't afford with an arthritic knee.

It also depends on how much you want to pay too, but it may be cheaper to buy than hire then.

Also take your own helmets, we have our slightly modified to keep the sun off, which after 16 days riding is a good idea, especially for a Thai woman.