Urgent: Have One Year Ed-Visa, but UK passport will expire in 5 months

Hello Everyone, (especially UK residents)

So as the title reads I have been here from the UK for about 2 years on ED-Visa, I have been studying Thai and recently last year around September got a new ED-Visa again, however I now need to renew my UK passport from abroad here as it will expire in July. Next month end March I have to do the 90 day renewal on the ED-Visa again and pay 1900.- of course.

So my question is, can I get some advice and help as to how I can get a new UK passport sent over to me, without sending the old one back to the UK? As I would need it for my next 90 day report... Any advice or places and numbers I can call would be great, would really appreciate the assistance, a search online as not given much and not sure who to call. I am also in Chiang Mai.

Thank you all.

Hi Lite Beer,

Thank you very much for this, is there anyway that the office in Chiang Mai could also do the same thing? It is mentioned here by Mario2008 http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/593686-legalisation-of-documents-in-chiang-mai/ I think this is also the same building;

Legalization Division
Department of Consular Affairs
Chiang Mai Provincial Hall Building

If I apply for a new passport, I can still keep the old and use the ED-Visa inside correct? Do you know the processes that I would need to go through? Travelling down to Bangkok also is a little bit hard for me right now.

Thanks.

How long it takes
Your application will take at least 6 weeks from when it’s received by Her Majesty’s Passport Office in the UK.

Applications may take longer if:

Her Majesty’s Passport Office needs to ask you for more information or documents
the photographs you send are rejected
Don’t book travel until you have a valid passport. If you need to travel more urgently, you may be able to apply for an Emergency Travel Document.

Cost
You’ll have to pay a fee for your passport and a courier fee of £23.01. The courier fee pays for your passport to be sent securely to the UK Visa Application Centre where you applied for you to collect.

Passport type Passport fee Total to pay (including courier fee)
Adult standard 32-page passport £83.00 £106.01
Adult jumbo 48-page passport £91.00 £114.01
Fill in a ‘Paying by credit card or debit card’ form for each passport you’re applying for and submit it with your application. Your credit or debit card will be charged in sterling.

You can use Mastercard, Visa, Electron, Diners Club and JCB.

How to apply
Download the application form.
Use the ‘Applying for a passport if you’re outside the UK’ guidance notes to help you fill in the application form.
Include 2 identical new photos of you (or your child, if it’s a child passport application). Follow the rules about passport photos or your application may be delayed.
Check which supporting documents you must submit with your application. You must get documents that aren’t in English - including documents showing an address - fully translated by a professional translator.
Application form - applying for a British passport overseas

Guidance notes - applying for a passport if you’re outside the UK

Supporting documents you must send with your application

Making your application
You must apply in person. If you’re unable to, someone else can go on your behalf. You must bring photo ID with you.

Bring original supporting documents and a colour photocopy of each one. The original documents will be returned to you.

You must also bring your current passport with you when you apply, and a full colour photocopy of the entire passport (every page including blank pages).

You can’t travel with it after you’ve applied for a new one - but you will be able to keep your existing passport for ID purposes.

You’ll need to book an appointment by email. Include your first name and last name and 3 alternative dates and times. You will receive an email confirming your appointment.

UK Visa Application Centre
The Trendy Office Building,
28th Floor,
Sukhumvit Soi13,
Klongtoey-Nua,
Wattana,
Bangkok
Thailand
Email: [email protected]

This is all amazing information Lite, really appreciate it, I did look at the website for some of it, but it got very confusing for me. I guess I will have to firstly apply for an appointment then start filling in the correct form 'Application form - applying for a British passport overseas'. You mentioned there that 'You must get documents that aren’t in English' so I will need to present English and Thai Translated documents in both formats? If I send an email to [email protected] is there a particular format online that I can follow to write the appointment email also, or just write what appointment I am after? Thank you again Lite Beer.

You should make the email for the appointment as simple as possible. Put 3 dates and times you would like to apply for your passport. They will reply back with a date and time for your appointment.

You will still have your old passport and can apply for your 90 day extension at immigration with it.

Get ALL the paperwork done and filled in FIRST, and then apply for the appointment. You may find some things take longer than anticipated, like translations.

Its actually not very complicated but just make sure you read all the guidelines and follow instructions properly, other wise you'll have to get another appointment.

Thank you all, yes I also gave the UK advice line for UK Visa Application Centre a call, they gave great information also.

One note Thai debit cards are not excepted. But you can set a virtual one at Kasikorn or SCB. You can do it online but I'd suggest going in to the bank.

Right, thanks for this John! I was going to use my Thai debit visa card, will this not be accepted then? Hmm, so how would I send my information for them to take a payment for me when they get around to doing it? If I do it myself with my Bangkok Bank account, do I just make the payment immediately? I can have my Dad or Mum in the UK with a UK visa debit card too, if I put the card details of that card on instead, would that work also? - That is another option. Thank you.

Saltwater - usually takes about 3 weeks to get appointment date from original email - passport office is on floor 28 - there is a translation office to the right of lifts on ground floor of trendy building in bk - if you go day before your appointment they charge you about 1000 bht for translation of tenancy agreement - Thai to English if you go same day as appointment double also make sure your passport photos have right background color I think grey or white not blue - fill in payment details on form - my passport took 9 weeks to get and was unable to travel as had 5.5 months left on old passport even though I tried to get new non b in Laos but was refused entry - ending up costing me 20000 baht overstay because visa ran out before received new passport - not scaring you just don't make same mistake as I did

@phil2407 - Thanks for that warning on timing, didn't realise it could take 3 weeks to get an appointment in, what year and month did you make your appointment sorry?

Thanks to all, I am currently looking at my dates and times for booking a nice cheap flight over to Bangkok. Any ideas on how to manage this? "Put 3 dates and times you would like to apply for your passport" so I assume that is like ex. 26th April 2015 Afternoon/Evening. Or do I have to give specific 1:30pm time of day? Then finding cheap flights to the date they give is just up to me then? Thanks all again.

Edited by Saltwater

Hi saltwater - I had my appointment last August and after having my app form back in the UK for 5 weeks they then decided they needed proof of address so had to back to bk with tenancy agreement - that's how I know about translation place in trendy building!

Hi saltwater - I had my appointment last August and after having my app form back in the UK for 5 weeks they then decided they needed proof of address so had to back to bk with tenancy agreement - that's how I know about translation place in trendy building!

Ah thank you phil, right now I am trying to work out myself what can be used as proof of address? I have a landlord here, what else could I prove my address here? The only official thing here I have related to my name and address is my Thai Bank account. Or should I ask my school I go to on ED-Visa? What did you use if I can ask? Thanks.

Ah thank you phil, right now I am trying to work out myself what can be used as proof of address? I have a landlord here, what else could I prove my address here? The only official thing here I have related to my name and address is my Thai Bank account. Or should I ask my school I go to on ED-Visa? What did you use if I can ask? Thanks.

To 'combat identity fraud' HMPO need proof of your name at a specific address in Thailand if you apply at trendy BKK, here are some of their suggestions:

We have contacted our Liverpool Overseas Team on your behalf who has confirmed that you must submit at least one piece of evidence to confirm the address you currently use and it must be dated within the last year. You may choose from the following:

Tax record e.g. letter from tax authority

Educational record e.g. school report

Employment record e.g. official letter from your employer

A letter sent to you from a central, regional or local Government department

National identity card or equivalent (or colour photocopy)

Visa or resident permit (or colour photocopy)

Where none of the above is available consideration may be given to bank statements, utility bills or their equivalents.

Any documents that are not in English must be fully translated by a person who is registered to an official organisation or trade body for translators or employed by a recognised translation company. The translation must be attached to the original document and signed to confirm it is a true copy of the original.

• 3 weeks later...

To 'combat identity fraud' HMPO need proof of your name at a specific address in Thailand if you apply at trendy BKK, here are some of their suggestions:

We have contacted our Liverpool Overseas Team on your behalf who has confirmed that you must submit at least one piece of evidence to confirm the address you currently use and it must be dated within the last year. You may choose from the following:

Where none of the above is available consideration may be given to bank statements, utility bills or their equivalents.

Any documents that are not in English must be fully translated by a person who is registered to an official organisation or trade body for translators or employed by a recognised translation company. The translation must be attached to the original document and signed to confirm it is a true copy of the original.

Thanks a lot for all of this, digitalchromakey also, OKAY so with the time away from this topic I have managed to obtain:

- School Report with school stamp, stating lesson times and where I live

- Bank statement from Bangkok Bank which was sent to my home, so name and address on that, 6 months worth of statement

- Tenancy Agreement for this year where I rent, my name as Leeser and address details

- I am going to take this agreement to the Immigration office opposite Promenada for a Certificate of Residence - is this actually needed? 500.- but could help?

All these documents currently in English by default, so no translation needed.

Also can someone advise on the format for the email I need to send requesting the appointment to apply with multiple dates and times? Want to format it formally instead of looking like a random email haha.

Thanks again all.

Edited by Saltwater

Thanks a lot for all of this, digitalchromakey also, OKAY so with the time away from this topic I have managed to obtain:

- School Report with school stamp, stating lesson times and where I live

- Bank statement from Bangkok Bank which was sent to my home, so name and address on that, 6 months worth of statement

- Tenancy Agreement for this year where I rent, my name as Leeser and address details

- I am going to take this agreement to the Immigration office opposite Promenada for a Certificate of Residence - is this actually needed? 500.- but could help?

All these documents currently in English by default, so no translation needed.

Also can someone advise on the format for the email I need to send requesting the appointment to apply with multiple dates and times? Want to format it formally instead of looking like a random email haha.

Thanks again all.

So you now have more than enough proof of name at address.

Appointment letter to trendy - no specific format but keep it simple (Mon- Friday, excluding public holidays 08:30 - 15:00):

Dear Sir/Madam,

Please may I have an appointment for a passport application in BKK on:

Date 1 Time 1, Date 2 Time 2, Date 3 Time 3.

Thank you.

Yours, etc.

Thanks all, I have requested an appointment, but I also have another option now, so my question is, my passport is due to expire on July 15th, if I were to book a return flight to the UK, use the Premium Service for a same day passport by booking an appointment and paying extra, what do I have to think about in terms on travelling from Thailand to UK on a passport that has less than 6 months left, though I will get it renewed in one day in UK and of course ED-Visa transferred to new passport? Are there any difficulties or is related to travelling OUT from the UK with a passport with less than 6 months that is the problem? Even though I have a valid ED-Visa (which will have a re-entry permit on it). Thanks all.

You certainly will have no problem traveling to the UK with you old passport.

You will use both passports when checking in for your flight to here to show your valid visa or re-entry permit in your old passport Then the same when you clear immigration here to show your visa or re-entry permit. They will stamp you into the country in your new passport.

Then if you have an extension of stay you go to immigration to have your stamps transferred to your new passport.

Immigration does not transfer visas.

Ahh sorry Ubonjoe, what I mean is, this other option is to travel to the UK before my passport expires in July, maybe travel in May and do my passport renewal in the UK instead, they can do it in 4 hours if you book an appointment 3 weeks ahead to get it done and you go to the centre where they do it.

Just want to check, travelling on my current passport, which is due to expire, will I have any problem and will the UK centre transfer my ED-Visa and re-entry permit to my new passport when I do it in the UK while staying there. Thanks for the reply also.

As I said you will have no problem traveling to the UK or entering the UK. You can enter the UK with an expired passport.

The UK passport agency will transfer nothing to your new passport.

As I said you use both passport when traveling back to here. If you have anything that is still valid in your old passport it remains valid even thought your passport is not valid.

OP here again, thanks again

ubonjoe

Urgent again though all, time is really ticking for me haha. This statement here: https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports/y/thailand/renewing_new/adult

"Your application will take at least 6 weeks from when it’s received by Her Majesty’s Passport Office in the UK."

Is there any UK person who can help give an estimate of how long theirs took? IF I do send my current passport instead and the process behind that like, will they transfer my ED-Visa to the new one for me, or send both back for me to go to immigration and do the transfer from old to new myself?

phil2407

What about your experience phil, how long did it take for them to send you your new renewed passport? Is there no other service to speed things up?

- So yes my next question is this 'Up to 6 weeks' estimate able to be sped up a bit faster at all? Not sending the current original passport delays things? Or same even if you send current original passport? Thanks all! Appreciated.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

OP here again, thanks again

ubonjoe

Urgent again though all, time is really ticking for me haha. This statement here: https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports/y/thailand/renewing_new/adult

"Your application will take at least 6 weeks from when it’s received by Her Majesty’s Passport Office in the UK."

Is there any UK person who can help give an estimate of how long theirs took? IF I do send my current passport instead and the process behind that like, will they transfer my ED-Visa to the new one for me, or send both back for me to go to immigration and do the transfer from old to new myself?

phil2407

What about your experience phil, how long did it take for them to send you your new renewed passport? Is there no other service to speed things up?

- So yes my next question is this 'Up to 6 weeks' estimate able to be sped up a bit faster at all? Not sending the current original passport delays things? Or same even if you send current original passport? Thanks all! Appreciated.

It would appear that you have not read the very detailed instructions for renewing a UK passport whilst in Thailand.

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports

Hi

nzexpat

I think am ok with it all, I understand the process and talked with a few above in this topic. I just really want to confirm that I can get my passport back faster than their stated 'within 6 weeks' margin, you see. After sending it from Bangkok, I am hoping by writing a cover letter explaining my circumstances also, they may speed up the process for me, but I will give them a call about that soon.

Thank you

ubonjoe

That is a reassuring estimate and link!

• 1 month later...

Hi All!

I have only just been told that, a Visa cannot be extended past a Passport validation date, can I confirm this is true? My passport expires on the 27th July... and my next 3 month ED-VISA extension on the 22nd June, I have been told, would therefore only be valid/extended until the 27th July. If this is true, I have been told, that my new passport will not arrive in time to be able to use that to extend my Visa on for the full 3 months?... what advice do you guys all have? You have all been very informative, but is there anyway around this, or to talk with the Thai immigration here?

Thank you all so much! Urgency again!...

That is correct that an extension cannot be issued that is longer than the date the passport expires. You extension would end on the 27th of July.

How long ago did you apply for your passport. Their have been recent reports it is only taking 2 to 3 weeks to get them.

That is correct that an extension cannot be issued that is longer than the date the passport expires. You extension would end on the 27th of July.

How long ago did you apply for your passport. Their have been recent reports it is only taking 2 to 3 weeks to get them.

Hello Ubon Joe,

Thank you for the swift reply, well the School my ED-Visa is with told me I didn't need to rush to renew my passport, as they could use the current passport to extend on, though, they didn't help mention that actually I NEEDED to renew my passport in time to send documents for the extension on the new passport, else it would not be the full 3 months... perhaps my own fault for not thinking also. I ended up not applying yet, as I could not travel to Bangkok at the time (2 months back) and thought I could just renew after the 22nd June (extension day).

Those are reassuring reports! When I called the Visa Passport UK helpline, they just gave 'up to 6 weeks'.

Ubon Joe, with your expert knowledge, any ideas? Mine were, when my documents arrive to do the extension(at the school), I do it asap... ex. 15 June. This would give me more time until 27th July than 22nd June to apply for a new passport (yes losing 2 months on my Visa Extension).

You probably know, the school need to send the application for extension 1 month before the 22 June, so 22nd May - this Friday... so no time to get my new passport before that... correct? Thanks, I know it sounds obvious hehe.