Getting Married...

Farside

My fiancee says she wants 100,000 BAHT to give to her mum and dad when we get married... I was just wondering if you think this is a lot compared to what you paid.. I think it is a lot lol. Concidering i am always helping the family out with money anyway. I'm not rich so 100,000 baht is A LOT of cash to me, Especially as the wedding is going to cost me atleast 200,000 BAHT. Before you all think im being KEE NEE OW let me just tell you that i am not old with loads of savings haha i am young so i have no savings :D:o

The parents of my wife made no demands of any kind when we got married(prehaps they were happy to get her off their hands :o 0 ).Within the family I have experienced a dowry being made by the family for her brother to take a wife .....she was only 13 at the time ....he was 24 .

This was something like 2000 baht and a few grams of gold.

However ,you could appear to be a walking bank as you are already offering money .

I think that the parents are out for what they can get,its difficult to say as I know how you relationship with them is .

Have you met them?

Why do need to pay for such an expensive wedding if you dont have much cash?

Edited by soihok

The parents of my wife made no demands of any kind when we got married(prehaps they were happy to get her off their hands :D 0 ).Within the family I have experienced a dowry being made by the family for her brother to take a wife .....she was only 13 at the time ....he was 24 .

This was something like 2000 baht and a few grams of gold.

However ,you could appear to be a walking bank as you are already offering money .

I think that the parents are out for what they can get,its difficult to say as I know how you relationship with them is .

Have you met them?

Why do need to pay for such an expensive wedding if you dont have much cash?

The 100,000 has nothing to do with the parents, It's a sum my fiancee came up with lol. She said that this sum is what she has always wanted her parents to have and she has always had this sum in her head. As for the wedding.. Well she has always wanted a big wedding (Typical girl really :o ), I can't really blame her as she will only be getting married once (I hope!) So i have saved up for 2 years to give her a good wedding. :D

Yeah i have stayed at her parents house so i know her all her sisters, Brother in laws, Mum and dad.

200.000 but just for the show. It was just to gain face for family and friends. It did them much good. Remember the old tradition is that the 'sinsod' is givin to the parents, but they use it for their daughters security. Like investing in land/house or other valuables. It is not meant to be kept by the parents. If they want traditional, say that your traditions are important to you to, and giving money for a bride is according to your tradition the beginning of a lot of bad luck. :o

Then settle on the for show only.

We had a great wedding, we did both styles. In the morning the traditional Thai wedding with 9 monks. And in the afternoon/evening a western style weding followed by a dinner and party. About 100 guests.

Total costs -10.000 baht. Yes we had 10.000 baht left after we paid everything (85.000 baht, including a band, food, drinks, etc.). One of the good things in Thailand when you invite a lot of guests. It is a great party, more people more fun, and everyone puts a little bit money in an envelope. I did not expect this and was really surprised. The money saved was well spend on our honeymoon. :D

After 5 years we are finally out of photo albums. That was the most favorite gift. :D

and the house you are wanting to build there ,will be in her name?

I was going to buy land in her name and build the house in my name, But i don't think that can be done can it? Well i know i can build it then i have to get a 30 year lease... But at the mo im looking at buying a condo as i want something in MY name. It will be all i have in the world so it has to be in my name so if anything happens and we brake up then i get to keep it. I dont want to live on the street lol. :o

Paid nothing...didnt BUY the wife..... :o

Its thai tradition isn't it. Who am i to say NO i WILL NOT pay you. I think people who go to someone elses country and dont accept the way they do things NEED to have a long think.

Oh come on mods, close this thread.

This is the 2nd sinsod thread in a week.

I know things are slow on TV but this is just flogging a dead horse.

Link it and lose it, please :D

<flame deleted>

Does it look like i come on this forum a lot? NO therefore how would i know this subject get posted a lot. :o

Paid nothing...didnt BUY the wife..... :D

Its thai tradition isn't it. Who am i to say NO i WILL NOT pay you. I think people who go to someone elses country and dont accept the way they do things NEED to have a long think.

:o

Ahh the inexperienced, got to love them Rinrada. :D