investment in a bond with good return in Thailand?

A "good return"??? You've gotta be joking. I guess you & I have different opinions on what a "good return" is lol. I'd be looking at a lot better high yielding investments & for those investments not to be in Thailand. Why would you tie your cash up for 3 years for such a pathetic return?

Top interest in the USA for CDs(Long term deposit for the rest of the world)if you lock up for 5 years is 2.36% right now. Most banks are on +/-1% in the USA.

• Like 1

On the surface that sounds quite good. Naturally due diligence in terms of issuer credit rating, bond provisions (sinking fund, call protection, etc) is required, but overall for investment grade paper (assuming it is rated as such) and on the short end of the curve, is quite attractive.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

A "good return"??? You've gotta be joking. I guess you & I have different opinions on what a "good return" is lol. I'd be looking at a lot better high yielding investments & for those investments not to be in Thailand. Why would you tie your cash up for 3 years for such a pathetic return?

Slow down and read what the OP said. He/she didn't say it was a good return or anything even suggests it's a good return.

if you think by buying a bond with a 3 year maturity you are tying up your money for that period you don't have any idea about bonds tongue.png

• Like 1

On the surface that sounds quite good. Naturally due diligence in terms of issuer credit rating, bond provisions (sinking fund, call protection, etc) is required, but overall for investment grade paper (assuming it is rated as such) and on the short end of the curve, is quite attractive.

Siam Cement is rated investment grade "single A".

There are a whole range of corporate funds available in Thailand, some paying 7-8%. However, care is needed: as mentioned, there is the inherent investment risk. Then there is the exchange rate risk if you are changing money into Baht, and you also need to pay attention to the capital cost.

An example from one broker's newsletter earlier this month: TRUEIF – even after a gain of 9.4% YTD the fund is still yielding 7.6% with promise of further capital gains.

Slow down and read what the OP said. He/she didn't say it was a good return or anything even suggests it's a good return.

You obviously didn't read the title of the thread whistling.gif

The title was a question? not a statement! So as you clearly have so much knowledge on good returns how about sharing with us. smile.png

• Like 1

pathetic return? so where would you be looking[greece]w00t.gif

CPAll also have a bond issue coming along in March. 5 years @ 4.1% or 2 years @ 3.55%. They will deduct 15% witholding tax (WHT), so you physically receive net 3.485% on the 5 yr and a tad over 3% on the 2 year.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/business/CP-All-sets-Bt15-bn-to-expand-7-Eleven-and-Makro-n-30254787.html

I bought a CPALL one a year or so back paying 4.1% gross, 3.485% net for 3 years, with interest paid semi-annually.

People's objectives and attitudes to risk vary. Some of my reasons for doing at the time:

- I thought this was OK at the time to lock in a bit higher yield than the banks were paying, given the possibility of lower rates, (which has since happened).

- More risk than a bank account which is protected by DPA, while this isn't, for a slightly higher yield, and as it's in THB there's no currency risk if you're measuring your income and expenditure in THB living in Thailand.

- provides a bit of regular fixed medium term income for my wife if something happens to me (as I stuck it in her name).

- The idea was to add a few more different Thai issuers, but after that I didn't see many I liked for the rates offered

- Find a little bit of middle ground between the higher risk higher reward parts of my investments portfolio, and cash rates

I wouldn't want to put all our money into it these type of bonds, but as OP says, for some people, they may suit them for some of their money for THB returns. Depends on what someone is trying to achieve...

Cheers

Fletch smile.png

Edited by fletchsmile
  • Like 1

Pray, mention something YOU consider good, please.

pathetic return? so where would you be looking[greece] alt=w00t.gif>

Search on the internet & do your own research. Everyone should be able to find investments in their home countries that can easily return them at lease 10%p.a. to a lot more than that.

Pray, mention something YOU consider good, please.

20%p.a. and above.

Edited by bbi1

You obviously didn't read the title of the thread whistling.gif

The title was a question? not a statement! So as you clearly have so much knowledge on good returns how about sharing with us. smile.png

If it was a question then it was a very poorly formed sentence. Why is there no question in the actual post also & it only says "Just sharing but not offering advice...."