Doc Filmmaker

Hello all

Will be in Thailand end of this year doing research on a project(I expect to be in around for some months). I am an experineced film and television type. As well I work a lot doing corporate videos for companys, sometimes straight to web or training vids etc. Those jobs ususally pay the bills.

I am bringing along my DV camera and my skills, so am hoping to pick up some freelance work whilst there to help support myself. Any contacts or advice on this front appreciated, I'm sure it won't be easy as doing that work here in Toronto is not easy either. BTW I don't speak a word of Thai, doing corp video work would probably be in the realm of the multi-nationals i presume.

wheeww sorry about wordy post..

Thanks in advance for any tips help advice.

Oh dear. You say you know nothing and ask for advice, then -- when you are given some -- you promptly label it 'useless and ignorant.'

The plain fact is that what the poster told you about the video business here is absolutely correct. Perhaps his flip concluding line offended you, but if it did, my sincere advice to you is to stay wherever you are now. You're not going to like most of the people you meet in Thailand.

Come to think of it, the phrase 'useless and ignorant' probably fits pretty well into this thread afterall. It's just that you applied it to the wrong person.

Read a few of your posts mate and you seem to like saying stay where you are to a lot of people, shame someone didn't say that to you and for you to have taken their advice. "it's all sewn up" is not helpful advice is it? Your post belies a pretty nasty demeanour.

My question was sincere, helpful responses are "oh you might try here or there" links to web sites etc.. even if it is difficult to break into, not flippant "it's all sewn up stay home"(sic). Are there people on this forum who actually wish to help?

Are there people on this forum who actually wish to help?

Yes, and the abundance of helpful advice posted on this forum to a huge number of inquiries bears adequate witness to that.

On the other hand, we generally don't waste our time with jerks who have made three posts and used two of them to call other posters 'nasty' and 'ignorant' and 'useless.'

Good luck to you, pal.

My suggestion is go to another destination. Your skills aren't needed here and we have plenty of piss artists. :o If you have been upset then get ready for more.

Take the camera , try your skills and make some post cards for the family.

Happy traveling!

:D

I work a bit in TV & film production in Thailand and can verify that yes, the industry here is crowded with very accomplished crew, both foreign and Thai. Breaking in isn't easy but if you're interested in film docs you might want to pick up a copy of the Foreign Correspondents Club of Thailand member directory, which lists most of the reputable--well at least legally registered--production outfits in Thailand.

Douglas .... the fact of the matter is that you probably will not be able to work< in the field you want to work in > in Thailand.

That PL had his post changed by a moderator is enough to know it was inappropriate. You spotted out our local "I hate it here in Thailand but work forces me to stay for 20 years " guy as well.

Sadly neither of those results change the fact--- that you need a work permit to work in Thailand legally, AND that unless you have connections at home that could put you into the top levels of management with companies that are here in Thailand, AND need your services in the couple of months that you will be here ,AND will sponsor you for a non-imm visa--- that you are probably SOL.

You might try dropping a PM to SunbeltAsia and asking him though!

ooooh and not bad advice from sabai as well!

Edited by jdinasia

I work a bit in TV & film production in Thailand and can verify that yes, the industry here is crowded with very accomplished crew, both foreign and Thai. Breaking in isn't easy but if you're interested in film docs you might want to pick up a copy of the Foreign Correspondents Club of Thailand member directory, which lists most of the reputable--well at least legally registered--production outfits in Thailand.

And those members are all going to have the appropriate visa's and work permits I'd reckon which would be a must here.

Thailand is not like Amercia . . not everything is spoken or lay out in plain words .

if you wanna come thailand and stay . Please be street smart .

trust me this is Asia . and people behave better here .

One advice . if you going to a new country . or someone house . is best you speak less and listen more be it their right or wrong .

seriously you gain more this way . and alot of Window open to you when you learn to be more understand and a wider view .

my english is not that good .

hope you do well in thailand .

many advice that is spoken here may in some way crude but is from people who know the place and some had been here long since i was born maybe you too . i myself be here for almost 10 years . i am only 29

but trust me . a smile here meant more here then any where else . try to be nice ok .

The Thai had one of the Better Ads industry . which do alot of filming .

i know people who did some production . . even for oliver stone . and soem of the local thai movie . there are good at it too . especially ADs. i love thai creative ideaon Ads. ( Ranking Top 3 in Asia )

if you keen in production leave me a Pm about yuor Skill and area of interest . i would Pass it to my friend - There might need a worker . ( Not boss or profession who want to be director just Worker who will obey order - and easy the job of the bossa nd director in any case - i Seen Them Sack a Guy on the First day of filming cos that guy think he know all and and spend mroe time debating what to do then doign the job he been ask . Thai work difrfently in some way )

anyway i will pass on your info . No promise no Notthing . just a Fav for a stranger .

best of luck

ta22

Edited by Ta22