Pro-Junta Polls Only, Says Prayuth

Lite Beer

Pro-Junta Polls Only, Says Prayuth

By Khaosod Eng.

14247626881424763534l.jpg

BANGKOK — Prime Minister and junta chairman Prayuth Chan-ocha has given Thai pollsters a clear guideline: no anti-junta surveys allowed.

"If they want to do polls, they can do so. But if they do polls to oppose NCPO, that's unacceptable," Gen. Prayuth said at the Government House yesterday, using the formal name of the junta, the National Council for Peace and Order. "They cannot do that."

Gen. Prayuth was commenting on a number of recent surveys of public opinion on the political situation in Thailand, nearly all of which have cast the junta in a favorable light. Critics say most of the polls are unreliable - not only because respondents may fear expressing their views under the junta's crackdown on dissent - but because the surveys tend to rely on small sample groups and use misleading wording.

According to a survey by Krungthep Poll on 9 February, more than 70 percent of 1,120 respondents said that martial law has contributed to an "environment of peace and happiness," and that "martial law is still necessary for the NCPO and the government of Gen. Prayuth Chan-ocha in their administration of the country."

Gen. Prayuth imposed martial law two days before leading a coup against an elected government in May 2014. The 100-year-old law, which is still in place nine months later, grants the military a range of powers that infringe on civil rights, including the authority to ban protests, censor the media, and search homes without warrants. Those who criticize the junta publicly, even on forums like Facebook, risk being summoned to army camps for "attitude adjustment."

Read More: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1424762688&section=11&typecate=06

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2015-02-24

He really said that?

I mean I agree with him that polls are worthless. They say what the pollsters decide they'll say by framing the questions to get the answers they want.

But to say pro govt polls only?

Really, he said that?

Got to be a khaosod interpretation of what was said.

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Like 2

He really said that?

I mean I agree with him that polls are worthless. They say what the pollsters decide they'll say by framing the questions to get the answers they want.

Really, he said that?

Between the junta allowed media and the junta, what to believe?

BTW <deleted>

He really said that?

Really, he said that?

No it doesn't have to be a "Khaosod interpretation".

"Prayut said pollsters had the right to collect political opinions, but not if they aimed to oust his administration or the National Council for Peace and Order."

Edited by TheDiva

He really said that?

Really, he said that?

"Prayut said pollsters had the right to collect political opinions, but not if they aimed to oust his administration or the National Council for Peace and Order."

Yes, I know that's what khaosod said he said. I however don't trust a word that rag says, so forgive me if I exercise doubt over the veracity of their report.

However if he really did say that……...

The quote I provided is a link to The Nation............................whistling.gif

• Like 1

He really said that?

Really, he said that?

Yes, I know that's what khaosod said he said. I however don't trust a word that rag says, so forgive me if I exercise doubt over the veracity of their report.

However if he really did say that……...

The quote I provided is a link to The Nation............................whistling.gif

I'll read it but nonetheless, I'm having trouble believing he said that.

Seriously?

That's his view?

Scary

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Like 2

Tough to decide now - is this government really better than what the reactionaries feared a Thaksin regime would eventually develop into?

It is much much much better on so many levels.

I'm interested.

How is it much much much better on so many levels for you?

Will you list some?

Edited by iReason

It hard to tell whether the director general needs to get more allies other than China and North Korea or is he just confirming the failure of the Thai education system.

If that's his intention, Its hard to disagree with either.

I'm looking forward to the new border protection and immigration policy of erecting fences between neighbouring countries. His allies have proven this and a few machine guns successful in stopping the expected mass exodus!

• Like 1

At the end of the day, for the sake of the nation, the millitary has to keep the situation stable until a certain transition has smoothly taken place. He has been given a difficult and unenvious task which could not be entrusted to any of the political parties.

• Like 1