Unskilled Vietnamese Workers will be Granted Work Permits in Thailand

Jacob Maslow

post-231994-0-44876500-1424991630_thumb.

Unskilled Vietnamese workers will be granted one-year work permits in Thailand along with legitimate benefits. The resolution may ease labor supply shortage woes.

Unskilled Vietnamese workers in Thailand will be given the chance to obtain one-year work permits in Thailand, according to the country’s Vietnamese Embassy. Workers can register at local labor centers to obtain their permits, which will grant them full interests and rights.

Registration schedules have not yet been announced, but Thai agencies are get ready for the influx of paperwork. Labor centers in Chiang Mai, Bangkok, Nakhon Phanom, Ryong and Sonkhla will carry out the permit registration and granting.

The new initiative is a part of a resolution that was approved by the Thai Cabinet in early February to improve the management of Vietnamese migrant workers. Many untrained Vietnamese workers enter the country as tourists and are, technically, working illegally. Most are working without agreements with their employers or permits.

Thanks to this new resolution, workers will be recognized and granted work permits. Many work in the hospitality, fishery, construction and domestic helper industries.

The granting of work permits is a two-part process. The Thai Ministry of Home Affairs will handle the Vietnamese worker files, and the Thai Ministry of Labor will handle employer recruitment registration and the granting of work permits to workers. The Thai Ministry of Health will be providing medical insurance to workers. The Thai Royal Police will oversee these tasks.

During their Hanoi talks in late 2014, the prime ministers of Thailand and Vietnam agreed to the granting of work permits to Vietnamese workers. The signing of a memorandum of understanding regarding labor cooperation is expected to be signed. The signing will facilitate the agreement and allow Vietnamese workers to legally work in Thailand.

Granting work permits to Vietnamese workers will greatly benefit Thailand, who faces a labor supply shortage. The resolution will also ensure that Vietnamese workers receive appropriate benefits and will improve the country’s management of foreign workers.

tvn.png
-- 2015-02-27

post-231994-0-44876500-1424991630_thumb.

There is no lack of workers, especially unskilles ones!!!!!!!!! You have millions of them in this country: but well they are jsut tooo lazy to work.

Better you bring into this country educated workers and the ones who show you how to work in a proper way!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have seen many of these young guys in Vietnam and was surprised to see how effective they work and haveing a skill for work and their life!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thailand is looseing more and more in the ASEAN countries!

heres a quiz

when you start giving rights to one group and withholding them from another group its called ?

starts with D

Ah that didn't take long did it ?.....wondering when the first poster was going to say this, my my they want the Vietnamese working here more than farang's full of self entitlement

heres a quiz

when you start giving rights to one group and withholding them from another group its called ?

starts with D

Ah that didn't take long did it ?.....wondering when the first poster was going to say this, my my they want the Vietnamese working here more than farang's full of self entitlement

Gotta disagree with you on this one.

Most aliens to Thailand are not granted work permits because, as it is stated in law, they are taking away the rights of Thais who are equally qualified to complete the job. Suddenly we have the discretionary decision to offer work permits to Vietnamese, and this is only the start of ASEAN, who are low-skilled - equally on par with Thai levels.

Where does and will, and when, justice step in for caucasian farang to offer services that few other Thais can deliver, and equally be offered work permits?

It's not a case of purported 'self-entitlement', but it IS cause for identification of: 1) racism, 2) misappropriation, 3) controlled demarcation, and 4) willing exclusion of certain races equally and, more than not, more qualified to offer their services.

I.e., it is a ruddy paradox on its own terms and offers.

Edited by Commerce
  • Like 1

Don't you know, if you legalize it on paper, then anything is OK? Legalized slavery is now OK. Just paint a new name on it and add a few frills. And don't tell me that those slaves will see any benefits too soon from their caretakers. It's easy to replace a whiner when a hundred are queuing up behind him or her. I am certain that service records maintenance on trucks (Not!) in this country get better due diligence than herds of slaves. And don't tell me that this process will be governed with good moral integrity and sound ethics. I am sure that any satang that is poured in to this effort will take the usual routes and only a drop will come out at the other end. This isn't about work permits, and has no reflection or consideration about skilled foreigners from Europe, USA, UK or Canada, etc. This is simply about legalizing something by using any means necessary in order to avoid a bigger problem. That's my opinion.

Tremendous insight. I wasn't even going to go there. :(

Where does and will, and when, justice step in for caucasian farang to offer services that few other Thais can deliver, and equally be offered work permits?

Such as ?.....the fact is if a farang has the skills/experience which are required in Thailand and which a Thai cant do, a WP is easily had.

heres a quiz

starts with D

The jobs they take isnt jobs a farang would take. The Myanmar labourers living on Sukhumvit soi 22, opposite 7 eleven at Sai Nam Thip 2, have their own mini community made out of garbage-metal and their weekend pleasures seems to be some of the pricier food from 7 eleven and a little bit of beer.

I sometimes have trouble finding some "fresh food" (unfrozen) on the weekends in that 7 eleven. Its the Myanmar labourers giving themselves a treat on the weekends. You can see lots of them buying in the 7 eleven in the evening/night on the weekends.

Edited by BKKBobby

There is no lack of workers, especially unskilles ones!!!!!!!!! You have millions of them in this country: but well they are jsut tooo lazy to work.

Better you bring into this country educated workers and the ones who show you how to work in a proper way!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have seen many of these young guys in Vietnam and was surprised to see how effective they work and haveing a skill for work and their life!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thailand is looseing more and more in the ASEAN countries!

It is a quick fix. If the locals are too lazy and you need people NOW, what else can you do?

How are unskilled workers going to help? Skilled, professional yes but unskilled? Sorry I just dont see how this will help anything

Thais who have a company and who employ unskilled Thais will benefit. The unskilled migrant workers are willing to work for less wages than the Thais. Hence, unskilled Thais are being forced to compete against the foreigners.

Who benefits the most ? Thais who own companies, and these Thais make up a minority of the population.

"Unskilled Vietnamese workers in Thailand will be given the chance to obtain one-year work permits in Thailand, according to the country’s Vietnamese Embassy. Workers can register at local labor centers to obtain their permits, which will grant them full interests and rights.

Registration schedules have not yet been announced, but Thai agencies are get ready for the influx of paperwork. Labor centers in Chiang Mai, Bangkok, Nakhon Phanom, Ryong and Sonkhla will carry out the permit registration and granting."

Right, so Vietnamese who are already working illegally in Thailand will have the chance to become legal. Is this the solution to a problem ? As in, it's illegal, it's a problem, well, we legalise it, so it's now no longer illegal, the problem is now smaller ?? :)
How many illegals are going to be legalised ? All of them ? If you're going to legalise the illegal Vietnamese, are you going to legalise the illegal Cambodians, Laos and Burmese workers ? Cambodia, Laos and Burma, are actually in ASEAN right ? Are the Vietnamese being legalised because they look the same as the Chinese ? Those Vietnamese, a lot of them are lighter-skinned than those rural Cambodians and Burmese.

Allowing one Asian country more rights than other does not appear to be fair to the other Asean partners, but is most likely a way of selectively preventing some groups access.

There is definately a need for more minimum wage earners. In Issan today you really cannot hire productive locals males at 2 times the minumum wage to do anything in the farming sector. The locals all want to contract the jobs (mau) at 2 or 3 times the minimum wage.

This labor shortage problem does not only effect the business community, it mosty likely has a much greater negative effect on the poor farmers who are paying the exorbitant fees to plant and/or harvest their own crops. If their cost is too high, back to the loan sharks and they loose everything.

the vietnamese influx has begun. will see how this pans out. the thai youth gangs will have more kids on the block to brawl with. from what i have seen in vietnam they may be more than a match. viewed from the balcony of one hcmc hotel i stayed in there were brawls virtually every day between newly different participant in the street below. good luck. never felt unsafe though. was not aimed at farang just between locals.

Edited by koo wallety tourist